PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Owners.. Question

THAC0
2012-09-07, 05:15 PM
Have you had trouble with your kindle?

I ask because we have been experiencing issues with ours. Basically, through no fault of our own, the screen dies. Gets lines across it, won't refresh, that sort of thing. It's happened to both my husband's kindle and mine. The first time each they replaced it for free, as it was under warranty. Then it happened again last night to Husband's kindle, and it's no longer under warranty. I'm concerned because so far out of four kindles we've had, three of them have had this issue and (since his was the first last time), the fourth one is still a potential issue.

I don't want to be paying to replace the device every year! Have we just drawn the short end of the stick, or is this a common problem?

Bill Murphy
2012-09-08, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine that has a Kindle with a lit screen said that his books will jump 15 pages ahead of where he was reading last.

I asked him after reading this post if he experienced any issues with it and that's what he told me. I was in the store with him when he first bought his Kindle and this is the first time an issue was mentioned.

I would suggest checking to see if Kindle has a users forum and see what other Kindle users are saying about the products.

I don't own a Kindle, Nook, or digital reader of any sort. So this is the only insite I can provide.

pffh
2012-09-08, 07:36 PM
I havenīt noticed anything like that with my kindle but looking at their support page they say it's most likely a firmware error.

cucchulainnn
2012-09-09, 09:36 AM
i am sorry to hear this. so far, knock on wood, i haven't had any problems with mine.

do you store yours in a case or any thing? the reason i ask is it seems odd that 3 out of 4 would go bad on you. i drive trucks and commute to work via motorcycle in all weather conditions. my kindle is almost always with me in harsh environments. yesterday i used it in my garage to read the repair manual wile working on my bike. mine has a hard case attached to it that looks like a hard bound book cover. when not in use the hard case provides protection to both sides of it, when in use the front cover folds over behind it. at all other times, while not in use it is stored in a waterproof soft sleeve case. the sleeve was made for an i-pad but it works well.

over the years i have seen issues like you describe occur on a variety of devises from to much pressure placed one the screen. like being stored in a bag with other stuff with out a protective case.

Weezer
2012-09-09, 09:56 AM
Have you had trouble with your kindle?

I ask because we have been experiencing issues with ours. Basically, through no fault of our own, the screen dies. Gets lines across it, won't refresh, that sort of thing. It's happened to both my husband's kindle and mine. The first time each they replaced it for free, as it was under warranty. Then it happened again last night to Husband's kindle, and it's no longer under warranty. I'm concerned because so far out of four kindles we've had, three of them have had this issue and (since his was the first last time), the fourth one is still a potential issue.

I don't want to be paying to replace the device every year! Have we just drawn the short end of the stick, or is this a common problem?

Try contacting Amazon about getting a free replacement, even if it's out of warrenty. They have really good cust serv and if can't hurt to ask. I've never run into this problem, I've had my kindle for 3 years now and it only broke when I dropped it and it happened to land screen first onto abrock. It was all my fault, but they still replaced it for free. Love amazon.

THAC0
2012-09-09, 10:32 AM
Yeah, we asked and they wouldn't replace this one for free. :smallannoyed:

We both have our kindles in protective cases, screen covers, the works. Mine is never in a purse/bag, Husband's sometimes is but the bag is pretty much just his kindle and his wallet.

Oh well. Hopefully this is the last time it happens.

Falgorn
2012-09-11, 08:29 PM
Yeah, we asked and they wouldn't replace this one for free. :smallannoyed:

We both have our kindles in protective cases, screen covers, the works. Mine is never in a purse/bag, Husband's sometimes is but the bag is pretty much just his kindle and his wallet.

Oh well. Hopefully this is the last time it happens.

Best advice I can give is get warranty, if its not too late. Not sure how their policy is now, but after my kindle broke and I had missed warranty, they offered me a new one at 50% off.
My sister had a similar issue to yours, at least three of the kindles she got wouldn't charge, but because it was under warranty, they sent a new one every time.