PDA

View Full Version : Please break this class.

qwertyu63
2012-09-07, 10:22 PM
I'm no good at breaking things, but I know a lot of you are. I'd like to borrow your services. The class I want to have broken is the Craftsman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240416). Using that class, and all of your knowledge, find whatever overpowered tricks exist to pull out.

Thank you in advance.

ericgrau
2012-09-07, 10:56 PM
Fabricate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm).

NM020110
2012-09-07, 11:01 PM
I can't speak to using it in a combat sense, since its abilities aren't really bent in that direction.

What I would use this for is a character that didn't seek to fight, but instead sought to accumulate wealth through the use of craft skills. Poisons, tools, ten foot poles, all are items that can be made for a profit. Non-magical wands of cure wounds would be very popular with adventurers, and could likely be sold for rather more than a normal wand would be.

Given a good, reasonably peaceful location, a craftsman could probably find himself with quite a bit of gold. Easily enough gold to undergo the ritual of crucimigration to become a necropolitan, giving this craftsman all the time in the world to continue his trade.

Put in a more mechanical sense:

1.) Become a craftsman.
2.) Get some gold (loan, inheritance, wbl, selling clubs, etc.).
3.) Craft things.
4.) Sell what you craft for more gold.
5.) Get a shop somewhere, preferably an area with a lot of adventurers.
6.) Sell things you make, buy things the adventurers loot for half of what you charge for them.
7.) Become immortal (elan, necropolitan, vampire, or something else).
8.) Repeat 6 until business dries up, possibly due to adventurers clearing everything out.
9.) Move to a new area, repeat 8.
10.)You are rich. Take over a country or something using your money and ample adventurer contacts.
11a.)Failed? Go to 9.
11b.)You're king now? Great. You are also immortal, so you have a while. Become even richer!

Laconic: Found magic-mart.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-07, 11:07 PM
The biggest advantage is the class does not expend XP when crafting its none-magical wands. So you can sell them for twice what you make for them, without any drawbacks. If I was playing this, I would play a Warforged and set up a trade network. Everynight I would make items for sale and then dump them at the end of the dungeon for lots of cash.

docnessuno
2012-09-08, 10:12 AM
"Finely made" could allow to bypass DR/Epic by staking a +1 enhancement bonus on top of an existing +5 weapon.

"Power of Gems" allows stat booster at half the normal price on top of no XP cost (1000 gp VS 2000 gp + 160 xp).

"Master Craftsman" allows to mimick a caster level higher than an equal-level full caster (higher to an equal-level artificer actually).

"Flowing armor" should really be at least 5%.

The prices are overall quite cheap. A +1 flaming greatsword can be crafted for just 616 gp, compared to 4116 gp and 320 XP. Talk about a steal...

Some of the spell on the list don't fit much with the class theme. Mage armor? Dispel magic? Scorching ray? No greater magic weapon? Why Bull's strenght and Cat's grace and no other stat-boosting spell? Many other spells fitting the class theme are not present.

There is no stated price for the nonmagical wands and potions. If the market price is equal to standard potions, i don't think someone will ever craft a "normal" version of the spell on this class list, considering (at least if they are crafted like mundane items) crafting cost 1/3 of the marked value instead of 1/2 and bears no experience point cost. Also, even if the crafting process is altered, a wand/potion working inside an antimagic field and/or allowing no SR is quite superior to a normal one.

Edit: Also, as noted, anyone with a dcent craft check and access to 5th level spells can start popping +2 equivalent weapons and armors, +2 stat boosting items and wands/potions up to 3rd levels at no cost.

ericgrau
2012-09-08, 04:03 PM
The thing with crafting is that it takes way too long for it to be worth it for the PCs. That combined with partial BAB, limited class skills, and of course no casting progression means no PC will take this class. This will, however, be the only NPC PCs will want to buy from for mundane goods (and for goods to be enchanted) since it's better and cheaper than anyone else. And NPCs will make triple the income from this class vs. other ways.

eggs
2012-09-08, 07:43 PM
Are there any ways to expand a non-casting class's spell list? If there are, the nonmagical wands could get silly.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-08, 10:12 PM
Combine with Exemplar to make a craft-based jumplomancer even more outrageous.