PDA

View Full Version : Action points and similar rules

Kol Korran
2012-09-07, 10:38 PM
Hi there. The post begins with some experience from our games, feel free to go to TL;DR if you wish) In a previous high fantasy heroic campaign my group tried using action points: the possibility of adding a 1d6 to a d20 roll several times during a level. (You can't carry them to the next level). every 2 levels the total of action points/ level will go up, and every significant number of levels (6? 7?) you'd roll one more dice and choose the best result.

At first the players didn't quite know what to do with these, but fairly fast they were saved mostly for saves, or CL checks to bypass SR. They also mostly saved these to climatic fights, which in turn made me redesign some of such fights so they'd present a challenge. Which backfired if one character had to burn their points due to bad luck earlier. We all agreed the mechanic was problematic.

The DM of the next short adventure decided on 1 action point per level. this was hardaly felt at all, and was almost never used. Players were trying to "save" the action point in case a bigger emergency happened. Again- a lot to be desired.

On the current pirate campaign I tried importing Aspects from the fate system, in an altered way to my game- each character would have 3 aspects (defining characteristics) which they could used thematically, in a creative manner for their characters: Negatively to gain points, which could then be used positively to succeed more in doings and accomplishments. Not as major a deal as in Fate, but I thought it would be a flavorful and roleplay enhancing addition to the game, and a good alternative to action points- they require negative use as well as positive, so overall they are sort of balanced, and they can be used only for certain kind of efforts (the aspects), and not just any kind of roll.

My players don't seem to know how to stomach it. I'm not sure we're using these well. But the main 2 problems are:
- The players fear of using the aspects negatively, since they feel it might screw the entire party, and they don't wish to do that. (They were only 2 negative uses in 3 sessions). They prefer the DM (me) will find negative uses, but often i'm way too preoccupied with other matters of the game. Besides, to me it feels like i'm punishing their characters.
- Some players chose aspects which they and me don't quite know how to implement ("Why yes! these two DO mix!", "Smuggler" in a not especially illegal or "smuggly" venture)

(our homebrew rules could be found on our site (http://witchlingisles.pbworks.com/w/page/51501960/Mixed%20Blessings%20and%20Oath%20Bonds))

We currently canceled these rules, but the players do feel that some sort of rules representing an "extra edge" are needed. They feel these adds to the game. I'm thinking of just possibly using the latest rules but without negative results, with a set amount of points (3/ level?) what are your ideas?

TL;DR My group tried various forms of "extra edge to the characters" rules of the forms of action points and similar rules. What works for you, and why?

(Search word: piratewitch)

Togath
2012-09-07, 11:06 PM
My favorite set of rules for something like this is the void point sin rokugan d20, you get a fewer number of them by default(2 total is the base, and you can take a feat that can be taken more then once to add an extra two), but they recharge at the beginning of each day.
They have a smaller bonus(the default is +2), but something along the lines could be a good exchange, as players still want to save them as they have a small number of them, but they can rest easy knowing that regaining 1 or 2 is only a day or so away.
The Rokugan d20 book also had a few feats which use the void points to do things other then gain a static bonus on a roll, which could be adapted in some way as well.

Darth_Versity
2012-09-08, 10:13 AM
My personal suggestion is to switch to the Bell curve system in unearthed arcana pg132. It uses 3d6 instead of a d20. Then have action points equal to 1/2 Cha EVERY encounter. They don't increase in number as you level and the only way to get more is to up your cha score.

When you spend an action point you get an extra d6 but it doesn't add to the roll, you just take the highest 3. This works in two.ways, it increases the chance of a higher roll and also increases the critical chance.which favours mundanes vs magicals.

So for example, I swing my Longsword at an ogre, I really want to hit so I spend 2 action points. I roll 5d6 instead of the usual 3d6. I take the highest 3 dice and that is my roll before adding my modifiers.

Ashtagon
2012-09-08, 10:32 AM
Here's one possible variant...

There's no hard limit on fate point expenditure. However, each time a PC "spends" a fate point, the GM gets a fate point he can spend later in the story (but not during the current encounter).

Under this variant, NPCs do not get their own action points to spend. The GM should try to use this action point pool to improve the story, not to "get the characters".

sonofzeal
2012-09-08, 11:13 AM
Here's one possible variant...

There's no hard limit on fate point expenditure. However, each time a PC "spends" a fate point, the GM gets a fate point he can spend later in the story (but not during the current encounter).

Under this variant, NPCs do not get their own action points to spend. The GM should try to use this action point pool to improve the story, not to "get the characters".
I really like this, it reminds me of Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Descent is unlike D&D in that it's entire hack-n-slash through premade dungeons. The dungeons themselves are not that hard, usually, but the DM gains "threat" over time, and spends those threat points to summon reinforcements, set off traps, or buff monsters based on what Overlord Cards the DM has at the time. It's a very adversarial mechanic, and the game is designed and balanced around adversarial play, but it also makes the PCs have to think a lot harder about their approach.

A simpler alteration for D&D might be simple d20 rerolls (within certain limits). PCs can ask for rerolls, with the understanding that the DM gets to force an equal number of rerolls later, often at inopportune moments. Heck, you could even call it "borrowing fate" and have it be known thing in-universe, perhaps something unique to the heroes. It'll favor the PCs overall because they get to choose if and when they want to bring it in; even if they end up paying for it later, a temporary edge that lets them get out of a tough scrape is still good. It makes the occasional nat-1/nat-20 less of a threat, and that will favor the PCs in the long run. So you get to favor the PCs, while getting to make them **** bricks when they have to reroll that jump check to clear the chasm.....