PDA

View Full Version : 1 Man Volley! A commoner can do it.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-07, 11:26 PM
No a commoner can not do it. I lied.
Not with out Help.

So try this.
Get a wand of stick and a wand of shrink person. http://dndtools.eu/spells/underdark--34/stick--3517/

Get 50 bolts, 1 Arrow and 1 bow.
Do not hold a bow yet, or the arrow!
Shrink person.
Use Stick Spell to get the bolts to stick to the arrow.
Shoot the arrow!

The bolts unshrink and unstick!
1 man volley!

Namfuak
2012-09-07, 11:48 PM
Why do you need shrink person? Just stick the bolts to each other before you fire them. The page for arrows never specifically restricts the use of arrows that have something attached to them, and stick obviously doesn't have a clause to that effect either.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-07, 11:51 PM
But the weight will be to big... and if you do it my way they will separate mid air.

Namfuak
2012-09-08, 12:04 AM
But the weight will be to big... and if you do it my way they will separate mid air.

1 Arrow is 3/20 pounds, 50 bolts are 5 pounds, one longbow is 3 pounds. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's only a light load for someone with 10 strength. And they will still separate midair, making them smaller doesn't have any impact on that part.

Flickerdart
2012-09-08, 12:08 AM
Once you glue a bunch of arrows to an arrow, I'm sorry to say, it will no longer function as an arrow. Go ahead and try it at home.

TuggyNE
2012-09-08, 12:15 AM
No a commoner can not do it. I lied.
Not with out Help.

So try this.
Get a wand of stick and a wand of shrink person. http://dndtools.eu/spells/underdark--34/stick--3517/

Get 50 bolts, 1 Arrow and 1 bow.
Do not hold a bow yet, or the arrow!
Shrink person.
Use Stick Spell to get the bolts to stick to the arrow.
Shoot the arrow!

The bolts unshrink and unstick!
1 man volley!

I'm not sure what the point of this is. By RAW, I can't see any reason to suppose that the stuck-on arrows/bolts would function as projectiles; by RAI, this is fairly clearly a cheesy trick that was not intented; by common sense, you can't effectively shoot a much heavier and clunkier lump of arrows like that at all.

Using reduce person doesn't really help either; size penalties for weapons are going to do you no favors, and you're arguably not wielding the bolts as weapons, so they may not resize properly anyway.

It doesn't work no matter how you slice it.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-08, 12:18 AM
Im just trying to make a way to scare my dm!
He lurks on these boards.

Seriously though its not hard to shoot a arrow with rope attached! so why not use the same rules?

Oh and stick only supports 5 pounds.

animewatcha
2012-09-08, 12:20 AM
From what I am understanding OP's, one 'attack action' ( with prior prepping ) turning into 50+ attack rolls. Or to transform the 'bolts into something else.' He twong's the 'arrow' and the enemy now has to make 50+ reflex saves for explosive ammo or whatever splash weapon.

Flickerdart
2012-09-08, 12:20 AM
Im just trying to make a way to scare my dm!
He lurks on these boards.

Seriously though its not hard to shoot a arrow with rope attached! so why not use the same rules?

Oh and stick only supports 5 pounds.
Isn't it? Attaching a rope to an arrow changes the entire dynamics of its flight. Attaching 50 ropes would make it quite impossible to shoot.

eggs
2012-09-08, 12:35 AM
This thread is not irrelevant. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19565390/3d4_damage!_Ill_buy_that_for_a_feat!?pg=1) For once. :smalltongue:

metabolicjosh
2012-09-08, 12:39 AM
This whole idea of mine came up to kill a field of rats by the way.
And by the way a rope ways 50 pounds! 50 Bolts shrunk down way 5 pounds!

TuggyNE
2012-09-08, 01:02 AM
And by the way a rope ways 50 pounds! 50 Bolts shrunk down way 5 pounds!

This would, presumably, be why you don't generally shoot arrows with rope attached. Modern bowfishers use a light line, much like ordinary fishing line, and a great deal lighter than rope. Similarly, shooting arrows to lodge ropes involves a two- or even three-step process of shooting first a thin string, then attaching a thicker cord and pulling into place with the string, then finally doing the same with a full rope.

You cannot simply attach a half-inch hemp rope to an arrow and fire it up over a castle wall.