PDA

View Full Version : Isles of the Small Folk IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

hoverfrog
2012-09-08, 04:54 AM
Ever Barrowfoot rowed into the dock at the small port west of Alkton. A harbour hand waved him to a space where there was an empty bollard to tie up to.

On the other oar, Devka Thorn, was regretting leaving the solitude of Small East but somehow Ever and the little dark skinned man, Nygdath, had convinced him that they needed his help. Their other passenger was the priest, Bula Mistwalker. He had hailed them as they passed Dead South and insisted that they take him to Alkton. He'd said little since then, the boat journey being cramped and ill-humoured for the most part.

After paying the harbour fee for the day and fending off the merchant who wanted to buy whatever they were shipping the four started the uphill walk to the busy town of Alkton. Before they'd even got a hundred yards the road became too crowed to move and too noisy to hear what the trouble was. Taking initiative from a child in a nearby tree they clamber up for a better view of the obstruction and see a huge cage on the back of a wagon. Inside is a miserable looking creature, a giant of some kind.

The giant is talking to a horse that is following the wagon faithfully. It is a breed fabled for it's size, too large to ride for a halfling but suitable as a working animal. They are not uncommon in the Twains but rare here in Old Alk. Standing next to the cage is a frail looking halfling with a black raven on his shoulder trying desperately to be heard over the shouted questions of the crowd.

The driver nudges the pony pulling the cart to move through the crowd and eventually they disperse enough for him to trundle up the road to the town proper. Some of the crowd follows curiously but the man with the raven's only answer to their questions is "Graorin hasn't done anything wrong."

The press of people turn back about a mile up the road when a group of six guards in studded leather jerkins and the sigil eye of Alkton watch are seen marching from the guardhouse sporting quarterstaves. Their uniforms are pristine though they look a little overwhelmed. When the cart is close by the captain, fat, red faced and sweating in the hot morning sun, blusters, "What is this? What is the meaning of this? Are you trying to start a riot?"

There's a brief exchange between the driver and the captain before he orders everyone in the group, merchants, stragglers, innocent bystanders and all to form up and follow him. He shouts down the protests and steers his men to keep "the rabble" in line.

Captain Rosby marches the group to the courthouse and ushers them in to see Alkton's mayor, Tomas Justicar III. He is seated on a raised platform administering justice and listening to appeals from the public. "Ben, lately of Old Alk, I find you innocent of the charges levelled against you on the grounds of insufficient evidence. Be warned that the watch will keep a close eye on you in future and if there is any repeat of this sort of trouble then you are sure to be a suspect," his scowl is supposed to be fearsome but Young Ben cannot help feel amused at getting away with another scam even if it was a close call.

He turns to a tall young man with black eyes, "I find you guilty of the crime of petty theft, Kevst of Alkton. Again! What am I to do with you? If I send you to the orphanage again you will simply run away, if I exile you then you will become the bane of another isle. I've a mind to apprentice you..." his train of thought is obviously cut off when the crowd barges into the court room, "What? What's this noise? Silence in court!"

Fixing the pudgy captain with a disapproving scowl he calls for an explanation. Captain Rosby splutters an apology and begins to describe how he saw a riot forming on Harbour Road and went to investigate, he finishes with "We've also captured this monster, sir" as the human is brought before the mayor.

"Well?" he inquires of the group before him.

Vesth
2012-09-08, 08:14 AM
"He's not a monster, he's not!" shouted the frail and scrawny halfling indignantly, though his weakness shows clear in his voice, while the raven squawked in approval to the Athedru. It can speak, but revealing this particular ability right now wouldn't help their case any.

I wonder if my parents are here...will they help? Athedru wondered, his eyes subconsiously scanning the crowd.

Newcomer
2012-09-08, 08:52 AM
Ever Barrowfoot

To Ever, Alkton sure seems to be a bustling place, a jarring shift from the tranquility of the water. He takes in the size of the captured giant.
Big. Strong. Could take three small folk, easy. Tough catch.

But 'not a monster'?

Confused, Ever glances toward his companions, checking their reactions. Surely Nygdath, the escaped slave, would have something to say soon. He silently catches the barbarian Devka's eye, with a familiar look of uncertainty.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-08, 11:58 AM
Devka Thorn

Unacustomed to being near so many halflings at one time, Devka is uncomfortable
How did i get myself roped into this?

not much interested in the affairs of his race, he turns his attention to the giant. He catches Ever's eye and frowns for a moment, trying to figure out what to make of the giant. Then shrugs, unsure what he thinks of all this, and turns away with an uneasy look in his eye.

Delia2531
2012-09-08, 01:20 PM
Young Ben

Thankful to have escaped justice this time I really will need to be more careful next time, I was distracted by that kid working his mark. Ben thinks to himself.

Unable to resist the chance to get one over on the establishment he calls out to the magistrate:

"Your Honour, in light of my wrongful inprisonment and as a form of restitution on behalf of the city I am willing to take this young man on as my apprentice, I'll teach him everything I know so that he can make his way in the world and keep him out of trouble." Hopefully! he added to himself."The extra income he brings in will go some way to address the losses I suffered by way of availing myself of your kind hospitality."

To Kevst he whispers "play along kid, we'll be out of here in no time."

bluff/diomacy (same modifier) on the magistrate [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-09-08, 02:07 PM
What a wild day, Kevst thought, first this Ben guy moves in on his mark, fouling it all up and getting both of them caught. Then HE gets off and I'M the one who gets found guilty. Now this slimy punk wants to make me his 'apprentice'. *sigh* Whatever... as long as he can convince ol' Mayor Tomas to let me go I guess I'll play along.

Kevst keeps quiet, but subtly nods toward Ben, indicating he'll go along with it.

Also, why the heck is Athedru in the court? Is he... defending that giant in the cage? Where did this monster come from? And how does Athedru know it? What a crazy day....

Kevst notices Athedru looking around the courtroom, he tries to meet the gaze of his friend and offers a quick wave with a look on his face that says "What the heck are you doing here?"

Avi235&258
2012-09-08, 03:38 PM
Graorin gives the mayor the same sullen look he's been giving the driver. Since the day Athedru first told him about the raiding slavers he'd expected something like this would eventually happen, but that doesn't mean he likes it. It also doesn't mean he was very prepared for it - none of his prepared spells would be too useful right now.

So for now he merely folds his arms and waits to hear what they have to say.

Leolo
2012-09-08, 04:11 PM
Nygdaths first reaction to the giant is to hide. Maybe he does not want to be seen? His eyes are full of fear, as if the captured person could harm him even in this situation. It takes a moment before he founds his confidence back.

"Powerfull their magic is, no doubt. Their minds are full of evil tricks and cunning. But they do enslave their own kind, too. Was this one captured raiding the islands?"

Delia2531
2012-09-08, 04:38 PM
Noticing that he kid appears to know one of the others in court, Ben is suddenly aware that he may be caught in the middle of something larger and immediately begins to look for a personal advantage.

The kid met his eye to play along, but Ben has no intention of running with a partner never mind an apprentice!

I just need to get back on the streets and hit a few marks. He thinks, I don't need to get caught up in anything else, but maybe, just maybe, I can get a piece of anything that goes down.

hoverfrog
2012-09-08, 04:38 PM
The fat watch captain was whispering with the man who brought the prisoner here. At Nygdath's question he fumbles at his uniform and steps forward. He seems somewhat embarrassed, "The cart driver has just informed me that he was found in a cave on the other side of Old Alk, if it please your honour."

"He was probably spying," he blurts out before turning back to the cart driver and resumes their whispered argument.

Vesth
2012-09-08, 08:03 PM
Athedru looked around, astonished to see one of his few real friends, and one of the fewer that had known who he really is.

"Kevst! This giant is innocent! I'm trying to protect him...what are you doing here? Did you get caught?"

Hearing the comment captain comment about Graorin, his head snapped back, and he quickly looked to the judge with pleading eyes.

"Sir, he didn't do anything! He's a good guy...and he saved me years ago! A good person like him can't be a spy, he can't!"

OzzyKP
2012-09-08, 10:40 PM
Kevst was hoping to signal to Athedru subtly, drawing more attention to himself was the last thing he wanted. Tomas already had it out for him, he certainly didn't want any association with the giant to further tarnish his already dismal reputation. But now everyone knew that Athedru and Kevst knew each other. Such an association would only hurt them both, and the big lug in the cage.

Kevst didn't know what to think about whether the giant was a spy or innocent. Honestly, he didn't really care about him either way. Kevst just wanted to get the heck out of this courtroom that was rapidly becoming a circus. But... he was still in chains and was not going anywhere.

Unlike Ben, he had no gift for gab. He wasn't going to try and negotiate with the Mayor, nor did he think it was a good idea to respond to his friend. Kevst just kept his mouth shut and tried to slump down in his chair.

Shotaro
2012-09-09, 11:46 AM
"Has anyone actually questioned him?"

The priest in the corner had finally decided to speak. Stepping forward to announce his presence and bowing lightly before the Mayor.

"Don't misunderstand me, if he is a spy then he should be hanged once we have built sturdy enough apparatus. But has anyone thought to actually ask him? He doesn't look a smart creature, surely someone here would be able to discern a lie?"

Avi235&258
2012-09-09, 12:29 PM
Graorin glances over at the priest. "Hmph," he murmurs to himself. He'll hold off on showing appreciation before he sees just how far said priest's enlightened attitude extends, what with the backhanded insult. Privately, meanwhile, he wishes Athedru would be less... effusive. You're not helping any, kid, he thinks to himself. (Even after eight years as his friend it's still hard not to instinctively think of the halflings as children, merely due to their size. Which, of course, makes his potential death at their hands that much worse.)

hoverfrog
2012-09-09, 04:51 PM
The mayor agrees effusively with the cleric, "Yes, quite right. Well, giant, are you spying for these invaders that we've heard about? How long have you been sneaking about exactly?"As a point of fact the slavers appeared only a few months ago, news about them is just reaching the southern isles.He turns to Athedru, "Did you just say years ago?" then back to Graorin "If you've been here years then this is more than just pirates raiding. Are you plotting a full scale invasion? Explain yourself. Where did you come from? What is it that you want with us?" Not waiting for an answer he points at Nygdath, "You there, how do you know about these monsters?"

It is clear that the mayor is out of his depth from the way he is jumping from one person to another. The expression on his face is close to panic. Rumour of giants is one thing but having one dumped in his court room is something else entirely.

Avi235&258
2012-09-09, 10:53 PM
Graorin purses his lips and says nothing. Protestations of innocence work a lot better if the person is actually paying attention to you. He'll wait.

Vesth
2012-09-10, 12:10 AM
"He saved me! He saved me! I was going to die, and he saved me! If he wants to kill us, why would he do that?!" Athedru said frantically, gesturing to himself.

"Graorin! Say something, please....."

Avi235&258
2012-09-10, 02:06 AM
Assuming Athedru is near enough his cage, Graorin leans over and murmurs, "I'll say something when he's ready to listen," gesturing to the mayor, whose attention is bouncing around the room like a ferret.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 02:16 AM
"your honour, I can see that you are a busy man this morning; if you can just release my young apprentice here" gesturing to Kevst "we'll get out of your way."

Looking round the room, Ben tries to get a feel for what is going on and what is about to happen.

diplomacy check to influence the Mayor [roll0]
Sense motive checks for around the room:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Leolo
2012-09-10, 02:51 AM
My island was raided years ago, and stoneshapers have been stolen since then. I was one of them, brought to a place they called the black pit to work beneath the ground. That's how I know about them, learned their tongue and the songs of the stolen.

Once he has found a way to overcome the fear, the giant creates in him Nygdath speaks with a sure and clear voice, deeper than his age might suggest and with a light different accentuation of the words. He does not comes from the islands, that's for sure.

Shotaro
2012-09-10, 04:26 AM
"Your honour I must protest, conducting two trials at once is causing unnecessary confusion. It may be worth your while to deal with one thing at a time rather than trying to do two at once. The giant has yet to answer your question because he can see you are not interested, might I suggest you focus on the denizens of our own lands first then we can all focus our attention on this outsider? There are claims after all that he has aided one of our own, I fear his situation may be more complex than first thought."

The priest sits and quickly, subtlely smiles at the giant before looking back at the mayor.

hoverfrog
2012-09-10, 05:13 AM
Tomas Justicar III, Lord Mayor, Sheriff and Magistrate of Alkton bangs his gavel loudly for order even though there doesn't seem to be a reason for him to do so. Given the chance to respond to something that he can deal with he nods in appreciation to Bula Mistwalker and then answers Young Ben's suggestion with relish "Agreed. Kevst of Alkton is released as Ben of Alkton's apprentice to serve for a minimum of two years under his guidance. Any crimes committed in this time must be paid for by the master," he looks a little concerned for Young Ben, "Are you sure that you want to do this?"
As far as Young Ben is concerned nobody is trying to conceal anything. Everyone is being truthful.
After Ben responds he nods and signals the Bailiff to release them both though the doors to the courtroom are still closed.
I'm assuming that Young Ben nods or something. If you change your mind he asks if anyone else is willing to take on an apprentice.
Once that has been dealt with he thanks Nygdath, clearly relieved to have control again. "Sir, the character of these invaders is as vital as information about their plans. Are you willing to teach their language to others and to provide what you know so that we can prepare? Do you have anything to say regarding the accused?" I guess that Nygdath is willing to teach Common to anyone and to provide the information requested but is unable to provide anything specific about Graorin.
He waits for a reply before fixing his magisterial gaze on Athedru, "Young man, you seem awfully convinced of this giant's innocence of the charge of spying. Can you explain why? Come up to the witness stand and state your name before giving evidence."

"Giant, " he says as Athedru is ushered forward, "You will be given an opportunity to defend yourself of this charge once your friend has spoken," he raises his voice so that the whole court room can hear him clearly, "there will be justice here today, not the rule of the mob. Now who stands to accuse this giant of spying and would bear witness against him." This last is acknowledged with silence until Captain Rosby shoves the cart driver forward a step. "Wain o' Waintown Upon the Hill, Sir,"

"You'll speak last, Wain of Waintown."

His eyes fall back to the priest, Bula Mistwalker, "Will you act as questioner in this case?" he asks before he points his gavel at Athedru, "Please begin."
If anyone else wishes to give testimony then you can raise a hand to the magistrate and be called as witnesses. Feel free to free form things about the giants but I'm guessing that Graorin is the first one that most of you have ever seen. Don't be too concerned about taking things in the proper order either.

The role of questioner is much like an advocate, their task is to find the truth. They pose their own questions or field questions from the witnesses not giving evidence and present them to the court. Typically there is one questioner though both sides may ask for their own as well.

Essentially this is your opportunity to ask questions of Graorin as a giant who is accused of spying for the slavers and of the other witnesses who are defending and accusing him.

I'll add something to the OOC about what you already know about the invaders.

Vesth
2012-09-10, 05:46 AM
Athedru nervously moved to the witness stand, the raven on his shoulder seemingly calming him to an extent.

"Uhhh....M-my name is Athedru of the Namecarvers, sir." he said, fidgeting a bit, "Eight years ago, my friend saw a giant enter a cave, and they....they forced me to go in! I was so scared! I was lost and I stumbled and I knocked against some rocks and I-"

The raven rubbed its body against Athedru's face, and he calmed down somewhat.

"I thought I was going to die...but then he found me and healed me, before telling me how to escape!"' he said earnestly.

Shotaro
2012-09-10, 05:50 AM
"They forced you to go into the cave? But why? Why did they send you specifically into the cave? Were you armed?"

I hope someone contradicts themself I really want to yell OBJECTION! Like I'm Phoenix Wright. I'll roll a sense motive too in my next post

Vesth
2012-09-10, 08:39 AM
"Th-they said that if I wanted to be their friend, I had to go into the cave. They said that if I'm not their friend, they'll beat me up..." Athedru said softly, his eyes watering slightly. Over the years, he had more or less gotten over the rough patch in his life, but remembering it like this, in such vivid detail...it brought back painful, painful memories.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 09:05 AM
Ben nods his agreement to the Mayor and whispers to Kevst "This will all be fine, we only got caught because we were working the same mark; as long as we coordinate our activities it won't happen again."

Newcomer
2012-09-10, 09:14 AM
Ever shakes his head disapprovingly, mumbling, "Bullies." While kids rarely tried to beat him up when he was little, on account of his superior strength, he well remembered how merciless they could be. The bullies had mocked his stupidity repeatedly, setting him up to walk right into verbal jokes he barely understood.

Ever's opinion of the giant was quickly improving. If he looked after the little guy who was picked on, then he was probably alright.

Shotaro
2012-09-10, 09:25 AM
"Did you have a weapon?"

Shotaro
2012-09-10, 09:27 AM
Dice Roll post.

Sense Motive[roll0]
Diplomacy[roll1]

I meant to put this in the previous post but I forgot, sorry about that

hoverfrog
2012-09-10, 10:54 AM
For the sense motive: Athedru is either an incredibly skilled liar or entirely sincere. It is difficult to fake the raw emotion of recalling painful memories.

If anyone does choose to tell a lie or otherwise deceive the court please make a bluff check in a spoiler. I'll roll a sense motive to oppose it (or you can as individuals). For NPCs reverse this and you should roll sense motive for when you want to determine if someone might be lying and I'll roll a bluff check for you to oppose.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-10, 11:37 AM
Devka's eyes start to faintly mist over in anger, anger at the people who picked on others. He had similar experiences with his brothers. They regreted it, they ALWAYS regreted it. But not all were blessed with his skill and strength. Athedru was lucky to have the giant to help him.

That poor kid, i hope his tormentors never wake

Even though Devka was violent, he didn't hurt others for no reason. His fuzzy logic could always find a reason for hurting people for more than just, "fun."

OzzyKP
2012-09-11, 01:03 AM
Rollin'

[roll0]

Doh

Delia2531
2012-09-11, 06:43 AM
Ben continues to whisper to Kevst:
You obviously know some of the people in the room, who are they? Are we going to be tied to something bigger here?

OzzyKP
2012-09-11, 10:51 AM
Kevst whispers back, "I only know the young Athedru, he never mentioned this giant when we spoke. No doubt he felt it necessary to keep his presence a secret, I certainly understand why. Whether they kill or release the giant I can't see how it would affect us."

Kevst looked around at all the commotion, and the questions being thrown back and forth by the crowd. He winced as Athedru retold his story of bullying. It was a story Kevst had heard many times before and was familiar to his own history as well. Thinking back to his past and the fact that he very nearly got sent back to the orphanage again, Kevst felt a strong desire to get the heck out of the building before the mayor finds a new reason to flog him and throw him in chains.

He whispered to Ben once more, "Thanks again for getting me off. But of course, I have no intention of being your 'apprentice'. I work better alone."

With that Kevst walked over to the bailiff and collected his meager posessions. As he passed by Athedru on the witness stand he whispered, "Be strong my friend. I'll wait for you outside."

Then he left and found an inconspicuous place near the courthouse entrance to wait for his friend to be finished.

Leolo
2012-09-11, 02:55 PM
"Teaching a langyage could take years my lord. I don't know if I will have time to teach people. My wish is to return home, to help the stoneshapers if they still exists. But no one seems to know my island here. Maybe I can interpret if you want to talk with the giant."

Nygdath tries to be as polite as possible, those people might be his only help.

Newcomer
2012-09-12, 09:43 AM
From Ever's standpoint, it's not clear that this giant did anything wrong at all. Still, given the news from the north, it's understandable that he was brought in. The mayor and the cleric seem to know what they're doing, so Ever patiently watches the courtly proceedings, his eyes taking in the various people present.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-09-12, 04:49 PM
Sitting outside the court house Kevst notices that a large crowd is still gathered around the door waiting to hear a verdict. Many press toward the windows and door straining to catch a glimpse of the giant man. It isn't often an event like this comes along, the whole town - indeed the whole island - is abuzz.

The large crowd whisper and gossip to each other.

"I hear the giant is a spy for the giant slavers! They are going to attack Old Alk next!"

"I saw the giant myself as he came in, he has huge teeth! Old Meekan says the giants eat Halflings!"

"Did you see that scrawny halfling following him around? Defending him? I bet the giant has magical powers and put a charm spell on him!"

"Did you hear they found him in a cave? What was it doing there? How long has it been here?"

"How long is this trial going to take? At this rate I'll be old before it is finished!"

That is a good point, Kevst thought, this trial IS taking forever.

He waited around, waiting for some sign of progress inside, but he was getting bored. Kevst was not known for his great attention span. Eyeing the large crowd pressed against each other, he realized this would be a great opportunity for him. Everyone's attention is focused on the courthouse. He could squeeze into the crowd and lift whatever he pleased! How would they tell the difference between Kevst palming some coins (or jewelry!) from their coin purse and another villager pressing up against them trying to see the giant?

Kevst can think of no better way to pass the time and celebrate his newfound freedom them to make a few coin. Better yet that Ben guy isn't around to foul things up this time.

Kevst makes several attempts to steal from the distracted crowd.

Hide check: [roll0]
Move silently check: [roll1]
Sleight of hand: [roll2]
Sleight of hand: [roll3]
Sleight of hand: [roll4]
I assume some kind of circumstance bonus for all these rolls from the crowd, but I'll leave that up to Hover to figure out.

hoverfrog
2012-09-13, 01:00 AM
Kevst managed to take a bracelet of hack silver from a gawker (1gp value) but almost gets spotted on two subsequent attempts.
Hack silver is the common currency of the isles. It is typically made up of bands of silver that can be broken off for payment and is often worn.

Back in the courtroom Graorin is called to identify and explain himself.

Avi235&258
2012-09-13, 01:12 AM
"My name is Graorin," he says. "But before I explain myself, I want to accuse THAT man of being a thief!" He points to somebody completely random in the crowd, trying to pick somebody who doesn't look prominent or important.

Delia2531
2012-09-13, 01:54 AM
Ben looks in the direction Graorin points, just in case he recognises the target;.

spot check
1d20+1

Relieved that he is unable to see anyone he knows being identified, I wonder what he is up to?

Sense motive
1d20+7

If there really is a threat from these giants, either someone will be sent to deal with them in which case I am sure I can get some of the reward for little personal danger; if I can't get involved I am sure I can pick up some benefit in the area afterwards.

I don't intend to use those rolls, just frustrating myself with what might have been! - or perhaps not!

hoverfrog
2012-09-13, 04:40 AM
A farmer who had found a bench near the front of the courtroom almost falls off it when Graorin's finger indicates that he is a thief. "What! I ain't no thief. I'm innocent. What am I s'posed to have stolen? You can't just go accusin' people of things without no evidence."
Young Ben's spot check again [roll0]
and sense motive [roll1]

You didn't finish the [ /roll ] off

Newcomer
2012-09-13, 11:20 AM
An accusation from the giant was the last thing Ever was expecting. Things are starting to get a little too complicated for him. He tries to get a sense of what's going on.

Sense Motive (Graorin): [roll0]
Sense Motive (farmer): [roll1]

Delia2531
2012-09-13, 11:29 AM
I've got a bad feeling about this he thought to himself, a real sense of foreboding; and why do I feel like I'm about to go on a long journey?

Shaking his head slightly to clear his thoughts, Ben cranes forward slightly to better hear what the Giant has to say for himself.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-13, 01:25 PM
Devka, suddenly suspicous of pick pockets, looks around him to see if he can spot anyone trying, or even thinking of trying, to liberate him of his possessions they can't have it, it's all mine
Spot [roll0]
Sense motive [roll1]
Then, once he makes sure no one is going to pick his pockets, and scare any of thoes that are trying, he focuses on the giant This should be good

Avi235&258
2012-09-13, 03:08 PM
In eight years Graorin hasn't talked to anybody but Athedru and his horse; he's always had problems with authority; and he was never much of a people person to begin with. So he's not even going to bother to try to get the crowd on his side. He probably wouldn't even know how if he did. Instead he seems to be trying to get as much snark in as possible before they do whatever it is they're going to do to him.

"Sure you are," Graorin says sarcastically. "We just heard about two thieves, and you're the same race they are. Isn't that enough to accuse you? Seems to be enough to accuse me." With that, he glares at the mayor, the captain, and Wain, slumps back to lean against the bars of the cell, and lapses back into silence.

Leolo
2012-09-14, 01:47 AM
That's enough for Nygdath.

This man could probably give us a good explanation where he has been at the time those "robbery" has happened in this fantasy of yours.

Can you provide us an explanation as well why you are on this island? He might find friends and trustworthy members of the islands that speak for him. A wife maybe, children and a life that solids his boundary to the land.

While you might as well be a spy or a lost raider, lying for his freedom. If you want this men to trust you, don't accuse them of unfair judgment. Trust them first.

Avi235&258
2012-09-14, 05:09 AM
Graorin rolls his eyes. They drag me here in a cage and this idiot expects me to trust them. He says nothing.

Delia2531
2012-09-14, 05:18 AM
Ben quietly and discretely moves closer to Graorin
[roll0] Used Move Silently, but Hide might also be appropriate at +8; basically I want to attempt to move across the court subtly so that he is next to the "giant"

and whispers:

"Giant, I can help you; I have a, shall we say, certain way with words. Allow me to speak for you and you shall walk away as free as I have today."

Waiting briefly for a negative response, Ben takes a deep breath and prepares to stand before the assembled masses.

Avi235&258
2012-09-15, 11:38 AM
Graorin eyes Ben dubiously. "What's in it for you?" he asks the thief. He says it low, but he's not really bothering to whisper.

Delia2531
2012-09-15, 01:18 PM
"I believe myself a good judge of character and think that you, like I, stand wrongly accused here today; and if you are not wrongly accused I am happy to get one over the Mayor. Besides, the kid seems to know at least some of the people here and at least some of them are on your side. What do you say?"

Newcomer
2012-09-15, 02:00 PM
Ever just shakes his head at the back-and-forth accusations and whispering. This is court? He somehow had thought that proceedings in a courtroom would be more.. orderly. They were getting distracted with an accusation that had nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Waiting for a moment when no one else seemed to talk, he risked getting involved over his head.

Addressing the giant, he simply asks, "You a spy?"

Turning to the others gathered, he adds, "Did anybody see him.. uhh.. spy? Why bring him here, without.. uhh.. without reasons?"

It is a moment of clarity and wisdom for the dim-witted ranger, though his plain words lack the eloquence expected of the setting. Ever is very direct in his solutions, and spouting off words back and forth is just wasting everyone's time.

Do I need a Diplomacy roll here? If I do...
Diplomacy: [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-09-15, 02:28 PM
Details of the slowly unfolding court proceedings continued to filter out through the crowd. Despite the charitable concern and assistance of several onlookers, the giant continued to be hostile and uncooperative. Kevst's front row seat to many courtroom proceedings has shown him that the less cooperative the defendant the more likely a guilty sentence. Kevst may be anti-social, but he was not dumb. He knew the giant was not helping himself. Indeed the giant's counter accusation of a random farmer only further turned the crowd against him. It seemed the sullen creature was resigned to it's fate and cared little about attempting to defend itself.

Kevst trusted his friend, indeed he was the only person in this world he did trust, and he was naturally predisposed to the outsider and the abberation, so believed (or wanted to believe) in the innocence of the giant, but the giant's conduct was making it increasingly unlikely it would walk away from this town alive. The mayor must feel the pressure from the mob to convict even more accutely now then when the giant was first brought in. The more the giant refused to provide the facts, the less those facts would matter when finally revealed.

Kevst wished his friend would just wash his hands of this giant and walk away, he was doing himself no favors by continuing to defend a creature that did not care to be defended. But alas, it was not his concern, Kevst was only a bystander to the unfolding farce occuring inside. But, while a bystander, Kevst was no innocent one.

Having narrowly avoided being caught twice while pilfering the crowd, Kevst decided to try his luck elsewhere. With all the guards and people focusing their attention on the courthouse, the homes on side streets will be unguarded, unoccupied and unmonitored. He found a few that appeared to be particularly secluded. At each one he listened and watched to determine whether the house was occupied or not, and when he found one that seemed empty he picked the lock of the backdoor and snuck in.

Once inside he searched the house for all valuables. Jewelry, clothing, money, weapons, food, and anything else that would be of some use to him.

With the town occupied, Kevst has plenty of time to take 20 on both pick lock and search.

Avi235&258
2012-09-15, 02:38 PM
Graorin shrugs. "Sure," he says. "Say your piece. Maybe they'll listen." Even if I didn't want you to, I couldn't shut you up anyhow from in here, he thinks to himself.

Delia2531
2012-09-15, 04:54 PM
Standing and Gesturing towards Ever Ben addresses the Mayor"Your Honour, it seems to me that my friend here is correct, this being has been brought here based on nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being the wrong size. With no evidence that he has been involved in any spying activity, the only true course of action for you is to release him to continue about his business. Do we really want to be known as the sort of society where people need to be afraid of being arrested and tried based on the fears and prejudgements of those around them? This town has always been a friendly and welcoming place, I see no reason for that to change today. We should be welcoming this person to our community and learning from him not throwing him in jail or executing him."
diplomacy 1d20+7

Delia2531
2012-09-15, 04:55 PM
try that again! Diplomacy check [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-09-16, 01:52 PM
"Frankly Ben, I'm inclined to agree with you," mayor Tomas leans back into his chair, "it is clear that these accusations are unfounded. However I cannot see how simply releasing this giant will prove safe for him. There needs to be some kind of announcement to bind you," he turns to face Graorin, "to the community in some way."

He fiddles with his gavel while he thinks things over, "Would you consent to join a group of volunteers to investigate the presence of these giants and to determine what they want? We need to know what they are doing here and form some sort of organised defence against them."

"If you do then I can announce to the people how you have come to help us against these giants and that you aren't one of them at all." He looks over the rest of you hopefully, "We'll need others to travel with him. The isles would be willing to cover your expenses."

--

Kevst manages to find some loose jewellery in a cottage, 5gp in value, along with a matching pair of throwing daggers, 4gp in total.

Delia2531
2012-09-16, 02:04 PM
"As a good citizen of this island I can hardly refuse to assist in this time of need; of course I will need to take my new apprentice along with me to ensure he keeps himself out of trouble; can I assume that the isles will cover his expenses too?

It would be foolish to set off without sufficient strength; I am a mere clerk and know little of navigation or combat and I would hate to get lost or hurt doing this; perhaps there are others of that ilk who might assist?"

OzzyKP
2012-09-16, 02:50 PM
After initially being bored with the slow pace of the trial, his recently obtained loot made Kevst wish the town was always this distracted. After clearing the house out of jewels and a nice pair of throwing daggers Kevst stopped back by the courthouse to wait outside for his friend to finish.

Leolo
2012-09-16, 03:54 PM
"I already know why those raiders come to your island mayor. They come to take your children away, your men and their wifes. To put them in a pit and let them dig for treasure in the darkness until they starve or are filled with madness.

They come to burn everything that you love, and when they are gone this will be a stone in the sea, lifeless and abandoned. And if you want to release this man, i will follow him. At least i might be no part of this madness that way and wait for my doom."

Nygdath is not only angry, he is passionate. He is used to speak to other man, to carry them away with his voice and convince them. But for this people he seems to be no less a stranger than the giant in the cage.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Newcomer
2012-09-16, 06:42 PM
"I can come. I, uh.. know the wilderness. Know boats, too. And I can fight some, if fightin's called for."

Ever turns to his barbarian friend, and asks him in a low voice, "Devka, how's 'bout joinin' this.. this adventure? Could be dangerous. Could use your kind o' skills, friend. Go together, side by side?"

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-17, 03:53 PM
Devka perks up at the word fighting. Tired of waiting around here with in this suffocating court house, with all these other haflings, he jumps at a chance to go. he replies to ever "Yes, i'll go, i could do with bashing in some skulls"
He speaks up so the court can hear him "I will go along with ever and who ever else's company you inflict upon me. I tire of sitting around, waiting, doing nothing."

hoverfrog
2012-09-18, 01:10 AM
Mayor Tomas gestures to a clerk to grabs a sheaf of paper and begins to take the names of volunteers.

Shotaro
2012-09-18, 08:21 AM
The priest steps forward and bows;

"I am Bula Mistwalker and I would be honoured to represent the Priests of the Mist."

Vesth
2012-09-18, 08:27 AM
"I...want to go with him. To keep him safe if nothing else." Athedru said quietly, though his statement would be at odds with his physique, for anyone that did not know of his more innate powers.

Delia2531
2012-09-18, 09:50 AM
With unneccessary formality, Ben faces the clerk and announces:

"As previously stated herein, for the record, I am Benjamyn Oldalk, b e n j a m Y n, merchant and freeman. I hereby pledge my support to this endeavour!"

Bluff check to get away with adopting the false name:[roll0]

A convenient new alias to adopt for the duration, formally honest to boot; if nothing else at least I have some benefit from today as well as my freedom!

Hopefully I will be able to, if not keep us out of at least, talk our way out of any trouble along the way.

Turning to Ever, Devku, Bula and Athedru in turn he says:
"I am pleased to make your acquaintances and I am glad to find myself in the company of such fine upstanding individuals."

diplomacy check to make a good "first" impression: not sure if I need one or 4, if only one then the first, if not then in the order named above:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
OOC Ouch, I hope this doesn't mean we can't be friends! :-)

Smiling Ben continues, "All I need to do now is track down that scallywag of an apprentice!"

Newcomer
2012-09-18, 11:11 AM
Ever greets those he has not yet met, a broad grin across his face.

"Ever Barrowfoot. A pleasure, good sirs. Real pleasure"

We're all playing male characters, correct? Interesting. I actually rolled for gender, so we at least might've had a female.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-18, 12:11 PM
Devka looks around at those he will be working with, a thing smile on his face. "Devka thorn"
He holds him self high "i see very little reason why we shouldn't get along just dandy
Though inwardly he isn't so warm to these newly met strangers just aslong as they don't get in my way and have some use The only one he knows is ever. The rest he is wary of.

Avi235&258
2012-09-18, 12:24 PM
"Am I being given a choice here?" Graorin asks bitterly. He chafes at authority, and he doesn't see why he needs to - ahem - 'have an announcement made' so as to 'bind him to the community'. He did just fine for eight years in the wilderness, thankyouverymuch.

hoverfrog
2012-09-18, 05:12 PM
"Do not chaff so, Graorin, lately of Old Alk," intones the mayor, "without some sort of formal recognition some other well meaning group might well bring you back here in a week or a month. This is an opportunity for you." He seems to want to offer some kind of help to the wrongly accused and to put any bad feeling aside.

Newcomer
2012-09-18, 08:29 PM
Ever frowns for a moment, considering that the giant does not seem happy about the decision. But he can't really think of a better solution. If the mobs will keep harassing Graorin, then...

He doesn't really know what to think, but it seems like a rough situation right now.. for Graorin, and for everyone in the isles.

Vesth
2012-09-18, 08:35 PM
Athedru looked at his human friend worriedly, sensing his discontent.

"Whatever happens, I'll be with you." he whispered to Graorin.

Avi235&258
2012-09-18, 11:48 PM
Graorin grits his teeth for a moment, considering. "...Fine," he finally says. The last thing he wants is to be dragged back here again by some other idiots.

hoverfrog
2012-09-20, 05:46 AM
Mayor Tomas seems pleased despite the disgrunted response, "Good, good." He waits a moment to see if anyone else will volunteer but when nobody steps forward he takes the sheet of paper from the clerk, writes something on it and then signs it with a flourish.

"I propose that you take a cog to Bridge at high tide this afternoon. I know that there is one at the docks at the moment heading there. From there you can resupply and hire passage or buy a yacht to take you up to one of the Six Sisters. Find out what is happening and do what you can for the people there. Send word back by bird, I'll have some prepared for you, and let me know your plans."

He snaps his fingers at the clerk again and instructs him to open the town coffers. "As mayor I'm prepared to advance a payment of 100 bands of platinum to your group. In addition we have two vials of blessed water from the healing pool of the Order of the Mists that might help those in need. They can heal even the most grievous of wounds so use them only in an emergency."

"Now I need to introduce you to the town, giant..I mean, Graorin and share your mission with them. Court is in recess." He bangs his gavel and stands. The spectators in the court stand up as he goes to leave.

Within a few minutes the mayor is outside telling everyone about the important mission and the new ally that they town has found.

Delia2531
2012-09-20, 08:31 AM
Ben steps out of the courthouse, intent on finding Kevst to update him on the situation.

Spotting him in the crowd along with Athedru, he works his way across to him.

"I'm not sure if your friend has brought you up to date with what happened inside, but we have all "volunteered" to assist the town by investigating the tales from the North. The court has formally documented those involved, including you, and agreed to cover our expenses for the trip. Beyond that we have no plan as yet, but I imagine we will be setting off shortly once the Mayo rhas finished his piece and we have had time to discuss a plan."

Anticipating a rebuke from the urchin he continues:
"If you were thinking of skipping out on us, you are right we have no way of forcing you to come with us, but I imagine that the authorities would take a dim view of finding you still in town after we have left given that the Mayor has formally documented your involvement."

Waiting for the Mayor to finish his announcement before catching the eye of each of the recently assembled group so as to indicate that they should probably sit down somewhere to discuss their plan and that the nearby tavern is as good a place as any.

Vesth
2012-09-20, 09:36 AM
"Kevst!" Athedru said, wide eyed.

"Please help us...the whole island could be in danger from Graorin's evil friends!"

Avi235&258
2012-09-20, 10:56 AM
Graorin waits patiently for his cage to be unlocked, then proceeds to collect his things once again from the idiots who arrested him. He then leads his horse outside the courthouse to look for Athedru.

Getting his things took a few minutes, which is lucky, because he would not have reacted well to Athedru referring to the slavers as his 'friends'.

When he reaches Athedru, his expression is that of someone who just wants to go home and put all this behind him - i.e., to heck with what this mayor person wants him to do. Though Graorin says nothing as he joins his friend, Athedru should know him well enough after eight years to know that that is exactly what Graorin is likely to do. Even without looking at his face.

OzzyKP
2012-09-20, 03:52 PM
Kevst answered Ben first, "You 'volunteered' me for this?" Kevst was liking Ben less and less. "I doubt the mayor could do anything more to me then he has already done."

Kevst next turned to his friend, but was unmoved by his pleas, "What do I care about protecting the island from Graorin's friends? Let the authorities deal with that. Honestly, I've been in more danger from the people on this island then anyone outside of it, maybe I'd be better off if the giants took some of these people away."

Kevst cared little for the people on this island, they have shown him only cruelty and indifference. He thought Athedru knew him better then to try and appeal to his 'civic virtue'. The idea of risking himself to protect the island was laughable. He hated this island. He hated the people on it.

Kevst mulled that thought over in his mind, "I hate these people.... I hate this island... why would I want to stay? I care nothing for this 'mission' but perhaps I'd have the chance to get off Old Alk for good. Maybe I could find more people like myself? Maybe... maybe even my parents?"

Bah, Kevst snorted, his parents abandoned him long ago, if they were even alive they clearly wanted nothing to do with him then and wouldn't now. He shouldn't waste time on such pipe dreams. Even so, a chance to get away from Alkton and all the people who have tormented him throughout his life might be worth taking.

He spoke again to Ben, "So... what's in it for me if I go along?"

Delia2531
2012-09-20, 05:32 PM
"You mean besides all the freedom you can handle, the opportunity to get away from the town for an expenses-paid trip to the wilderness, working with a giant and a chance to pit our wits against everything that the world has to throw at you?"

"Listen kid, I said what I said back there to get you out of there; you look like you've had it rough in the past, I know it isn't easy growing up on the streets, so I thought a little help wouldn't go amiss. Whatever you may think, the Mayor thinks that you are my apprentice; perhaps we can learn from each other?"

"Come with us, you never know what opportunities you'll find to make a quick mark or two and perhaps more. If you decide not to come back I can always tell the Mayor you had a nasty accident!"

Seeing that his words are apparently having little impact, he turns away slightly, he continues"Come, don't come; it's up to you. I can't make you and I won't try to persuade you any further. If you walk away now we'll let you know our plans in case you have a change of heart and want to join us. If you want nothing further to do with us, then I wish you all the best in your endeavours."

OzzyKP
2012-09-20, 11:39 PM
Kevst listened to Ben's words. For a moment or two he stood there considering the merit of his pitch. He certainly wasn't the adventuring type and had plenty of reservations about undertaking what could turn out to be a dangerous mission, but... what the hell. Would it really be much worse then here? And this Ben guy, while he was certainly slimey and self-serving, he did help Kevst out. Regardless of his reasons, when was the last time someone actually helped him? When was the last time someone did that?

Hesitantly Kevst said, "Fine... I'll come along. There is nothing for me here."

Vesth
2012-09-21, 01:52 AM
"Graorin....I know you don't like it, but....you know....I....I...

I'llstickwithyouevenifyoudecidetoleave,andI'llmake sureyoudon'tgetcapturedagain, ever!" Athedru blurted out.

"And you too, Kevst! My raven here will poke your enemies' eyes out!"

The raven sqwaked in agreement.

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 04:59 AM
After the mayor has finished his rather long winded speech you manage to escape the crowds of curious people wishing you well or just wishing to get close to the giant. Graorin finds himself being touched and prodded and his already frayed temper gets close to snapping.

Eventually you find yourself in the Jolly Sailor, an inn down main road to the docks. There the sympathetic landlady ushers you into an attic room and provides you with bread trenchers, cod and a simple pottage of cabbage, peas and greens all washed down with small beer. "On the house," she says cheerfully.

There are six halfling sized bunk beds and twice that number of chests. A large dining table that comfortably sits a dozen dominates the room. There are metal mirrors and wash basins in the chests and chamber pots under the bottom bunks. The attic room is quite spacious with a ceiling high enough even for Graolin as long as he stays in the centre.

There are six small round windows giving a view of the town to the north and a balcony overlooking the bay to the south. There you can see the cog that the mayor spoke of. It's the largest vessel docked at about 50 feet long with a single square sail. Bare chested men are busy unloading buckets of iron goods from the look of things and loading up with cages of chickens, sheep and pigs and long bundles of lumber.

Downstairs you can easily hear the sounds of the inn filling up, shouts for beer and food are as common as questions about the giant and the quest. After an hour these are replaced by the sounds of flutes, violins and singing.

A nervous serving maid brings up fresh fruit, water and ale and fetches anything on the limited menu that you ask her for.

Could I have a spot check from each of you please.

Avi235&258
2012-09-21, 05:44 AM
Graorin merely grunts in response to Athedru. Well, if he doesn't seem to mind if they skip out...

Later, at the inn, Graorin stands awkwardly in the center of the room, making sure not to sit or lean on anything so as not to break it.

[roll0]

Delia2531
2012-09-21, 05:55 AM
At first glance Ben sees a servicable room, sufficiently comfortable for any planning they need to complete and possibly a short rest.

Having enjoyed the plentiful meal provided for them, he glances round the room at his new companions and his attention is caught by the boat that can be seen through the window. It is obvious that this is to be their transport, but something about it caught his eye.

spot check:[roll0]

Having stared out of the window, Ben can see nothing that may have at first caught his eye and returns to the table ready to discuss the plan.

Newcomer
2012-09-21, 08:42 AM
Ever heartily enjoys the simple meal offered them. It's one of the three places he feels at home--in the forests, on the water, and inside a friendly tavern, or inn. He's eager to discuss the pending adventure with his new companions, and to get to know them a bit. He's also thinking about what equipment he may need.

"How long y' think this trip'll be? Can't decide. Leave my boat at dock.. or sell it?"

As he's talking, he looks around.

Spot: [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-09-21, 11:09 AM
Kevst had seen this inn many times from the outside, indeed he had gone through the trash looking for salvagable food on more then one occasion and has occasionally relieved some drunk patrons of their valuables. This was his first time inside. It was a nice place, and the food was much better on the plate then in the bin. Still, he was typically suspicious when people treated him well. He looked around for anything out of place.

[roll0]

But as he was about to look around a gust of wind came through one of the open windows, blowing with it some dust and debris from outside. Kevst happened to be looking right in that direction and dust flew right into his eyes. Stinging with pain his eyes began to water, he couldn't see a thing. It took him several moments of rubbing his eyes to get the dust out

Vesth
2012-09-21, 08:10 PM
Athedru glances around distractedly, slowly consuming the food, while the raven, on his shoulder, keeps a sharp eye out.

Athedru: [roll0]
Raven: [roll1]

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-22, 11:40 AM
Devka keeps mostly quiet and just listens to what the others have to say. He isn't used to many social interactions, and certaintly not with this many people at one time. Getting slightly bored with the topic he throughs a glance around the room.

Spot [roll0]

Avi235&258
2012-09-22, 04:52 PM
Graorin is obviously in too lousy a mood to be paying attention to his surroundings. Not being able to move easily and not being able to sit on anything isn't helping any.

hoverfrog
2012-09-23, 02:57 AM
Opposed roll [roll0]
Glancing out of the window a few of you notice that some of the guards that escorted you to the court earlier are positioned around the inn. They are obviously trying to hide but haven't done that good a job of it. Wearing the eye badge of Alkton watch and carrying quarter staves doesn't help. If they'd just joined the crowd they'd be far less visible.

Newcomer
2012-09-23, 10:51 AM
Ever notices the Alkton guards outside.'They're obviously trying not to be seen, so he figures they're not trying to discourage mobs. He speaks lowly to the rest of the group, indicating the guards.

"Looks like mister mayor still don't trust our giant friend."

Leolo
2012-09-23, 11:15 AM
That's something I can understand very well.

I don't trust him either.

Nygdath has followed the others still undecided what he should do. If those Giant might know the stoneshaper island he could mean a way back home. But trust him? No humans are greedy and always treacherous.

Avi235&258
2012-09-23, 04:31 PM
Graorin glowers at Nygdath from the center of the room. His neck is starting to hurt from bending slightly over so as not to hit the ceiling. He doesn't need to have insult added to injury. "I think I'll wait outside," he says. "Seeing as I'm not wanted here."

With that, he bends down and heads for the door.

Delia2531
2012-09-23, 04:40 PM
Perhaps he simply doesn't trust us to actually leave?

I think the best thing we can do is sort ourselves out a plan and get on that boat.

Vesth
2012-09-24, 04:02 AM
"No, wait, Graorin!" Athedru shouts, following him out of the room, while the raven gives Nygdath the evil raven eye.

Avi235&258
2012-09-24, 04:41 AM
Graorin waits just outside the door for Athedru to come out. It feels so much better to be able to stand up straight...

"I don't need to listen to this sort of thing," he says to the halfling.

Leolo
2012-09-24, 02:04 PM
Nygdath follows Graorin out of the building. Isn't following him what he had promised? At least this way the human wouldn't run away.

"Sure you do. You'll have to listen to it until the islands are safe again. And don't think that i say this words because you are a human. I do have met humans that doesn't are like those raiders. Slaves of them. They had nothing but their songs and their friendship. But simply saying you are different will not be enough, like it or not. If you don't want to be judged like a raider help this men. "

Newcomer
2012-09-24, 02:32 PM
Ever, hoping to keep tempers calm, decides to grab some of the fruit from the table to bring outside to Graorin. He selects the largest apple and a clump of grapes, and excuses himself from the table. He mentions to Devka that he's going to sell his boat and buy some gear in a minute, in case the barbarian wishes to join him shopping. If he does, Ever says he'll wait outside for Devka.

Outside, he walks up to the giant, offering him the fruit out where he can stand more easily.

"Should eat a bit. Uh.. we island folk.. we never see anyone like you before. Then these slave people come.. and, uh.. now's when we see you. Bad timin'... Only natural, bein' a bit suspicious at that, but, uh.. Well we got yer back if you got ours.. is what I mean."

He may trip up a little on the words, but Ever is sincere and genuine, and that should be fairly clear. He also gives what he hopes is an understanding look to Nygdath as he talks about the suspicion.

Then he sets off, first waiting for Devka if he's joining him. He excuses himself from the others. "Got some business."

Ever then stops one or several of the townspeople, asking if there's a boat shop nearby.

OzzyKP
2012-09-24, 02:55 PM
After finally removing the last bit of dust from his eye Kevst noticed that half the group is now leaving the room. "No matter," he thought, "more food for me."

Whatever happened with this 'quest' of theirs he wasn't going to pass up a free meal. He could care less about hurt feelings among the others. Kevst agreed with Nygdath, he didn't trust the giant either. Then again, Kevst also didn't trust Nygdath or any of the others in the room except Athedru. He didn't care if people left or had issues with each other, Kevst just wanted to stuff himself as full as he could.

After eating his fill he figured he'd look around the room and in all the trunks. Perhaps a previous occupant left something behind?

Take 20 on a Search check

Avi235&258
2012-09-24, 04:08 PM
Graorin chooses to ignore Nygdath. Instead he looks down at Ever. "I'd much prefer not to get involved at all. Live my own life, way I've always done." He accepts the food with appreciation, though, grunting out a small thanks.

Delia2531
2012-09-25, 02:47 AM
Ben addresses those that remain, "We may as well take the next few hours to rest, eat and gather anything we need for this little adventure we are embarking upon; we can discuss plans on the boat. I'll go and see if I can get us some fresh food for the journey, no need to start on the trail rations sooner than we have to."

Ben picks up a last piece of bread to chew on as he stands up and leaves the room. He heads down to the common area to find the landlady. Seeing her busy with customers he bides his time; when it appears that everyone has been served their food he follows her through he door to what he assumes to be the kitchen.

"Madame, firstly may I congratulate you on the quality of your food and offer thanks on behalf of our little group for your generous hospitality, not everyone on the island would be so kind given the membership of our little band. The memory of your cooking will stay with us quite a while, and just that memory may help us ignore the nature of the ship's biscuits and stew we will soon be faced with. Who knows when we may next enjoy such wonderful food and hospitality?"

Ben smiles handsomely, flirting slightly but not trying anything on; No harm in flirting, but I can't afford a scandal in town now; perhaps when I return. he thinks to himself.

diplomacy check for interaction with the landlady [roll0]

Ouch, crash and burn; did he have cabbage between his teeth or gravy on his s perhaps?

Thanking the lady lady once more (with a little more flirting if she parts with more food or another positive response)*Ben heads out to collect his belongings before returning in time to meet the others at the docks before the boat leaves; he wants to make sure that Kevst actually gets on the boat!

hoverfrog
2012-09-25, 05:12 AM
The inn is very busy and it takes some time even to get noticed by the landlady. When you follow her into the kitchen she bristles and gets defensive at the "invasion of her domain" but your kind words mollify her brief anger. The kitchen itself is a hive of activity with two cooks working over a dozen pans of various foods and a couple of young boys running in and our serving food. Two older boys are kneading bread and making pastries, stopping every few minutes to full things out of the enormous oven at the back of the kitchen.

"You've done me a great boon here choosing my place to rest with your giant. I haven't been this busy all summer. Don't worry about ships biscuit too much. I've made up a hamper for you that should last a day or two," she give you a matronly pat on the cheek, grabs a plate of food, ushers you back to the bar area and then scoots past you. On the way back she stops, "How about you bring your giant down and have him say a few words to the folk, eh? Keep everyone happy."

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-25, 11:31 AM
Devka, with the only person he feels comfortable leaving the inn, follows Ever and says to him, "I think i've got all i need, but i'll come with you anyway, just in case"
He nods a quick goodbye to the group. then proccedes to walk with Ever and keeps a sharp eye and ear out for anything suspicous.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Newcomer
2012-09-25, 11:52 AM
Ever and Devka search around and find a good place for Ever to sell his boating gear. He chooses to keep one of the oars to make things easier on the next boat. He considers buying a bow, but as he can't afford the really powerful ones (composite), he opts to stick with his sling and buys a pouch of bullets.

Done with his shopping, Ever starts back toward the inn.

Delia2531
2012-09-25, 03:37 PM
Ben returns to the Inn with his travelling equipment, and takes a seat where he can see the door and the docks. He passes the remaining time chatting amiably with the other customers, telling tall tales and spinning yarns; building the group up as a party of worthy adventurers! He buys a few drinks and tips the barmaids a few coppers. He is keeping an eye out for Graorin's return so as to introduce him to the room, hoping to catch a couple of words with him to encourage him in to the interaction.

bluff checks with the customers:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
(several just in case it goes on a long time)
I expect a couple of drinks and tips to give a total spend of about 3sp, happy to be corrected and I'll adjust my sheet accordingly.

Aargh, that last story must have been a stinker!

Avi235&258
2012-09-26, 04:14 PM
(...realizing all of a sudden that you're waiting on me...)

Graorin doesn't have any intention on going back indoors. He waits outside with Valerius until it's time to leave or something else happens, whichever comes first.

Delia2531
2012-09-26, 04:51 PM
Spotting Graorin outside, Benbides his time until he can slip away from the crowd to talk to the man who is drawing such interest from the crowd.

Approaching quietly, but not silently Ben coughs slightly to announce his presence,
"Graorin, I know that the size of our buildings and our town is making things difficult for you; the people here at the tavern believe that you are a friend of our people and are interested to hear a few words from you before we stiff on our journey. Might you find it in you to enter, or even just sit outside by an open window so that people can see you for themselves and perhaps one-day say to their grandchildren 'I was there when Graorin, our friend from afar, visited Old Alk'? I'll keep them away from you, they just want to hear you speak to them."

He thinks to himself, Come on big guy, don't let me down; this could make us all famous rather than just infamous!

If Graorin agrees, Ben returns to the bar-room to announce him (and open a window). If not, he returns to the bar-room to inform the crowd that the giant is deep in thought about how best to protect the people and unfortunately cannot be disturbed; he will also promise an appearance by the giant when they all return from their adventure (overselling it slightly).

Avi235&258
2012-09-26, 06:56 PM
Graorin considers. What the mayor said about people leaving him alone if it's well-known that he's a friend... well, despite his annoyance, he can see the truth in that. And Ben is definitely being a lot more conciliatory than that... weird other-halfling. He grunts. "Alright," he says. "For a little while. I can't promise that they'll like me, though."

Privately, he hopes that they'll have a chair capable of supporting him. Actually... "Find out if they have something I can sit on," he adds. Then he follows Ben inside.

Charisma check:
[roll0]

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 01:30 AM
Ben heads back in to the bar, clears a table near the door, hops up on it and announces;

"People of Old Alk, friends, before he leads our merry band head of to investigate the tales from our kin in the north, our friend, Graorin would like to say a few wor to you all hear. Please give him space so that everyone can see and hear him. Landlady, please bring him a jug of ale to whet his whistle!"

He hops down from the table and gestures Graorin in to sit on the table.

acrobatics (Jump and then balance) check to leap on to the table 1d20+2 1d20+4 with any modifiers for the couple of drinks etc
Bluff check to convince the crowd Graorin is both our brave leader and keen to speak 1d20+7
Diplomacy check on the landlady (again) for the (hopefully) free beer 1d20+7
Balance check to hop off the table 1d20+4

Rolls now in OOC thread
Thankfully they all seem to be good enough to pull this little show off; perhaps I should have been a bard!:smallconfused:

hoverfrog
2012-09-27, 06:53 AM
The inn is packed and noisy but Young Ben somehow makes himself heard over the din. His acrobatics and the presence of the human giant effectively silence everyone. Graorin finds himself the sudden centre of attention. Before he can speak a ragged cheer spring up from the back of the crowd followed by raucous banging of tankards and calls for "speech, speech", "blessings of the gods", and "raise a toast".

The sudden silence and following cacophony alert the group upstairs who by now are aware that the time to leave for the ship is fast approaching. Those who walk down the stairs can slip out the back or enter the main bar as they choose. Either way they see a cheerful crowd of slightly worse for wear island folk eager to hear what the giant has to say while drowning out any attempt he might have to be heard.

After a moment or two a grizzled old man in rough wool carrying an quarterstaff almost twice his height climbs up on the table next to Graorin. He uses the stave to call for order, "let the lad speak" he yells. Then he hands the quarterstaff to the druid as the crowd hushes, "a gift, for you," he says as he slides back down to the ground.

Later when you get a chance to examine the quarterstaff you find that it is of the very best craftsmanship and has been finely carved with woodland scenes. It is also very old and looks to have been well cared for. Quite what a halfling is doing with a 6' quarterstaff is something of a mystery though.

It is a masterwork quarterstaff made from darkwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm)

Newcomer
2012-09-27, 10:17 AM
As Ever approaches the inn, he hears the ruckus. At first he is worried that a brawl may have started, but as he gets closer he sees Graorin through the window. It would seem the giant had warmed up a bit to the halflings. Ever, grinning with amusement, quietly chuckles as he slips inside the inn. He seeks to make eye contact with the adventuring party and judge whether they're about ready to depart.

Avi235&258
2012-09-27, 12:03 PM
Graorin stands there blinking during all the cacophany - how did the people here start trusting him, nay, loving him so quickly? - but he's not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Then he gets handed the quarterstaff, and he blinks in even further surprise. "Um..." he stammers for a moment, then tries to recover. "So... My name is Graorin, I've been living on Brother Star Isle for about eight years now. One of my friends tell me you have this group called The Order of the Sea. I'm part of a group a lot like them. And we..." what the heck am I going to say? "we don't hold by slavery or killing people or anything like that. So as your, um, mayor said, me and my friends here are going to find out what the other hu- um, the other giants want, and see if we can't stop them from doing what they're doing."

Graorin is obviously not the greatest speaker in the world. He never had the talent to begin with, and eight years in a cave didn't exactly help. But for some reason the crowd seems to like him a lot, and it helps that at least this time he didn't accuse anyone random of thievery.

He glances down at the quarterstaff he's just been handed. Odd.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-27, 02:10 PM
Seeing how the people react to Garion, a faint smile tinged with sadness graces Devka's lips. So they accept him as quick as that, i'm glad for the guy
Devka quickly turns away and waits outside for the rest of the group to finish up. whilst he ponders why people don't seem to accept him.

OzzyKP
2012-09-27, 03:03 PM
Well, the room emptied out fairly quick. After stuffing himself full of food, and wrapping up whatever food was left and putting it in his bag, Kevst looked around the room for any valuables that weren't nailed down. Sadly he found nothing other then a few blankets and board games. Kevst didn't know where they were going, or what kind of accommodations to expect, but he had nothing for sleeping, so perhaps a blanket would serve him well. He took a blanket out of a chest, rolled it up, and stuffed it in his bag.

Hearing some commotion downstairs, Kevst decided to head downstairs and investigate.

Added a blanket, a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese to my items list

Vesth
2012-09-28, 06:42 AM
Athedru's raven eyes Kevst's bag, and cawed loudly, nudging his partner's cheek.

Turning his attention away from Graorin, Athedru grins at Kevst.

"Hey! We were wondering where you were. Something great is happening to our friend here! Oh, my raven also tells me you brought along some food. What did you bring?"

hoverfrog
2012-09-28, 07:23 AM
Graorin's speech ends in a bout of over enthusiastic clapping and cheering that grows louder as the landlady of the Jolly Sailor brings out a massive hamper and deposits it in front of you, "We can't let you go hungry on your journey so I've made you a little something to take away with you. You'll not find anyone who makes a better fish pie in all the isles that Hubbly Duenna. Now some of the islanders have brought you gifts too," she spares a glare for the old man who it seems had jumped the queue to give his gift.

A line of small folk form up and shuffle forward, some leave trinkets and oddments on the table, good luck charms and talismans, some leave weapons or ammunition. One very tall halfling leaves a scroll case, "A map of Shark," he says. Within a few minutes there is a nice sized pile of things to sort through, some of it looks valuable and all of it is well made. Hubbly, the landlady, doesn't give you a chance to sort through it though as she fetches another wicker basket and piles all the things inside, "Your ship will be leaving soon," and with that you're all bustled outside and led down the street with a crowd in tow. Some of you can't help think that this was how you'd arrived only this morning but the farewell is much better than the greeting.

When you reach the docks you note that the crew has finished loading and are sitting around. Some are smoking pipes or playing dice games for silver. The captain, Rames Longham, has an enormous "cocked" bicorn hat that looks like it has sprouted feathers from some exotic bird from the ends of the world. He's talking to another sailor who is ticking items off a list. As you approach he walks the length of the gangplank and waits for you at the bottom of it, chivvying up his crew to stand and make ready.

"Ahoy me laddies, ye're invited to board th' Ogre's Kiss. We launch fer Bridge when ye're stowed 'n ready." With that he marches up the gang plank again and waits for you to board. The crew member with the list has a small box hanging round his neck that he's using as scribe desk. He puts things away as the captain makes introductions and then leads you below deck to the hold. There is a stall for Graorin's horse, who won't be the only horse on this journey even though he is by far the biggest. There are crates of animals in the hold and the noise is a bit distracting. One of the younger crew is trying to quiet them unsuccessfully.

Below desks are cramped even for the halflings and you quickly find that most of the 18 crew sleep on desk and venture below only when their meals or duties take them there or the weather drives them away. You are free to make a bed on deck or find a space under a mess table or in a corridor. There are only other two rooms beyond the galley and the hold and those are for the captain and the ship's doctor.

Captain Rames Longham finds you after the ship reaches the open sea, "Right, we're to be in Bridge th' mornin' after to'morrow. His high 'n mighty mayor tells me that ye're headin' to Shark's Luck eventually. I ain't. I'll stop at Bridge fer a day to do some tradin', then I'll make me way along th' Davy Jones' Treasure Chest Isles to trade wit' th' priests. Then round 'n back again. I can drop ye wherever ye like but if ye're in a hurry ye'd best jump ship at Bridge 'n hire a packet boat or somethin'. 'tis up to ye."

The gifts include the following of note and odds and sods that aren't important enough to mention:

A scroll case containing a slightly water damaged map of Shark's Luck, the island that you've heard is the base of operations for the slavers.
A scroll of Identify.
Two potions of cure light wounds.
30 sling bullets including 5 master work sling bullets.
25 light crossbow bolts including 4 of master work quality.
7 daggers including one that is master work.
A silver holy symbol.
An old darkwood heavy shield. It has a coat of arms engraved into the wood and it looks like it was once painted.
52 gp of hack silver and gold.

Newcomer
2012-09-28, 03:13 PM
Ever eagerly heads up the gangplank and aboard the vessel. While things may be a little cramped on this boat, there's far more room than he's used to on his rowboat. He gestures towards a relatively open area on the deck. He proceeds to lay down his pack and spread out his bedroll, setting up camp where the group might be able to stay close together. He scans the horizon and feels the winds, hoping the good weather holds.

Survival, DC 15 to predict the weather: [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-09-29, 04:13 AM
There is a strong wind behind you and it looks like it's bringing a light rain with it. Nothing too bad.

Delia2531
2012-09-29, 09:04 AM
With a final wave and comment for the crowd,
"So long, good people; until we return!" Ben heads aboard and finds Ever. Following the example of the Ranger, Ben sets his bedroll out in the space and rigs his canvas as a windbreak/shelter before relaxing on his bedroll.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-29, 03:58 PM
Devka climbs on board and looks around for a corner, or a place, where it will be hard for people to sneak up on him but is still relativley close to Ever. Once he finds an ideal spot he sets up his bed roll, sits down on it, pulls out one of his daggers and looks at it.
No. No one is going to be able to get me here
He then puts his dagger back, lies down and admires the sky.

Avi235&258
2012-09-29, 04:39 PM
Graorin spends all of the time on the boat on the deck, or barring that with his horse. He sleeps fitfully, nervous because of the last time he'd been on a boat and only somewhat comforted by the fact that the crew seems to actually know what they're doing. The cramped-even-for-halflings accomodations are also not helping, which is beginning to be a theme with him. Anybody who talks to him during the journey finds him irritable and wondering what he's gotten himself into, but not actively hostile except perhaps towards Nygdath. He doesn't really smile to anybody but Athedru, who he knows and likes, and Ben, who's done him a few good turns but about whom he still isn't entirely sure.

After the first night, he prepares the spells he thinks he might need on a boat.

Newcomer
2012-09-29, 04:44 PM
Foreseeing a little light rain, Ever sets up his tent, half-open on the deck, to keep him and his gear dry.

"Little rain comin'.... won't be heavy," he says to no one in particular.

Then he takes the scroll case with the map of Shark's Luck, heads into his tent, pulls out a torch for light, and spreads the map across his blanket. He studies the map for a good while, trying to internalize the geography of the island, and its harbors.

When he's finished, he replaces the scroll in the case and returns it to the basket.

OzzyKP
2012-09-29, 10:30 PM
Kevst stood on the deck of the Ogre's Kiss as it pulled away from the harbor. He stood and looked back at Old Alk as it got smaller and smaller. His eyes looked out into the distance at the island slowly disappearing over the horizon, but his gaze was more distant yet. He stood there lost in thought considering the whirlwind day that brought him to this unfamiliar place.

It started as any other, curled up outside under the stairs of Old Man Hartho's place. As far as he knew that morning the day would unfold as every other had in recent years. Scrounge up some food, pick a few pockets, stay out of sight, keep out of trouble. If it was a good day maybe he'd head down to the shore and go swimming, maybe he'd catch a bit of music wafting outside the tavern. Not much of a life, but it was familiar. He knew when to expect the drunks stumbling out of the tavern, he knew when the market got the most crowded, he knew when Miss Duenna threw out the scraps at the Jolly Sailor. As much as he hated the people in Alkton, he knew them, knew their routines and knew how to survive around them. His life was far from comfortable, but it was his. He was in control and he was free.

But everything changed when that smooth-talker fouled up his mark. Suddenly he found himself in and out of the courthouse, in and out of the Jolly Sailor and now, of all places, on a ship looking at his home across a thousand feet of ocean. He was surrounded by people he didn't know, heading to some island he had never been to, hoping to accomplish some mission he hadn't the slightest idea about, and perhaps facing dangers he had never heard of before. He didn't know what to expect and he was afraid. The world was so big, and he was so small. Despite all the pain he went through on Old Alk he was suddenly feeling homesick.

Had he made the right decision? He didn't know. He really didn't. Kevst just stared out to sea.

hoverfrog
2012-10-02, 05:26 AM
After enjoying the company of the crew for a day and a night most of you are ready to disembark and stretch your legs. You've made good time with the wind behind you and arrive at Bridge with the morning high tide.

It is obvious where Bridge gets its name as you approach the small island. It is relatively flat with a few tall trees growing on the sparse hills. There are houses built up on stilts above the shallow water beneath or on the sandy beaches of the higher land. A few structures are made from a dark stone, turned green with sea weed. Most of the buildings you see have ropes hanging in the water below, obviously crab or lobster traps from the few that are being repaired on people's porches.

The most striking feature though is the spider web of rope bridges that connect clusters of houses together. Folk are running along these wildly swaying paths carrying goods to market and there is a steady stream of people congregating by the dock area to the east of the island.

The captain gives instructions to the crew to pole for sand traps and steers the shallow cog into the hanging market where he ties her up. Bridges run overhead and sellers immediately start shouting for trade. Captain Rames holds his hands up for quiet, "I do have a contract already t' sell me goods," he yells, "But I do be buying live crab and lobster when me hold be empty. I have passengers lookin' t'go north t' the sisters too if there be any takers." He indicates the party with a wave of his hat.

The crew moves efficiently and starts to unload the wood and the crates of animals with winches and wooden cranes along the dockside. The captain jumps on the first crate being carried by a crane and hops down to pass some silver to a harbour master in a red vest. You've little choice but to keep out of the way until most of the work of unloading has been done. The captain returns and tells you that he'll be ready to depart in an hour if you've not had any luck finding another vessel.

Looking around the cog is the largest ship in the docks anyway, "Mayhap you'll try the Dead Man's Rest. It be a trader's bar on Tower Hill over thar and they may have news of ships comin' in the next few days."

"Do ye want me t'keep yer horse aboard fer the time bein', wee lad?" he grins up at Graorin, "I c'n have the beast put off afore we go if yer in luck."

Delia2531
2012-10-02, 06:24 AM
"Whilst I am in no hurry to put myself in peril, I feel that our task will be best served by travelling by the most expeditious manner. I am happy to head on over to the Dead Man's rest to seek passage to the Sisters; if any of you are keen to accompany me I would welcome the support in this strange town, but if you have personal business to attend to, or perhaps feel like doing a little investigation of the general situation, then perhaps splitting up might be a better option?

In any event, I shall return here in three quarter-hours to allow a decision to be made and the correct ship to be boarded!"

Ben looks for a nice, stable crate being readied for hoisting and climbs up on to it (now is not the time for fancy acrobatics) for the ride to the shore, however as soon as it starts to move he loses his nerve and signals for the crew to let him dismount. He then takes the slower route off the gangplank!

He asks the Captain to point again in the direction of the bar. Turning, and pausing briefly, to see if anyone intends to follow him and heads off, stopping once to confirm the directions with a local to ensure he can find his way back.

Balance check for riding the crate on the crane
Gather Information check to get local directions [roll1]
Local Knowledge check to remember the directions for the way back [roll2] or concentration if it is more appropriate [roll3]

new roll for Local knowledge (rolling a D2 was never going to go well!)[roll]1d20+3

Newcomer
2012-10-02, 09:00 AM
"Aye, I'll come."

Ever laughs a little as Ben first decides to ride the crate and then quickly changes his mind. He follows Ben down the gangplank and to the Dead Man's Rest. The island is fascinating to him. While the other islands are surrounded by water, Bridge seems to be built in the water itself.

Delia2531
2012-10-02, 11:28 AM
As Ever catches up with Ben on the docks, Ben is suddenly glad to have a companion along, You never know when you might need someone to watch your back he thought.

Following the directions the Captain gave, Ben found the bridge system to be pretty intuitive, if not initially obvious, and they soon found their way to the inn.

Before heading inside, he says to Ever,"Let's just spend a few moments in preparation; why don't you take a quick walk round the outside whilst I watch the front? We don't want to find ourselves caught in a jar if something goes awry."
Ben finds an unobtrusive vantage point and quietly observes the building.
hide check to blend in with the surroundings [roll0]
Spot check and listen check respectively: [roll1], [roll2]

Newcomer
2012-10-02, 12:40 PM
OOC: also subject to there being no change in plans.

At Little Ben's request, Ever is slightly puzzled. "Uh.. awry?" He's slightly suspicious of what Ben might be up to, but after a few words of assurance, he takes a walk around the tavern and looks for anything suspicious.

Move Silently (take 10): 18
Hide (take 10): 20
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Avi235&258
2012-10-02, 01:34 PM
"Val will come with me," Graorin answers the captain. Upon disembarking, he says to Athedru, "I'm not in the mood for another session of people gawking at me. I'm headed inland to be by myself for a couple of hours."

Vesth
2012-10-06, 07:36 AM
"Do you want me to come with you? It'll be a good time to-" The raven quickly pecked at Athedru's ear, who quickly went quiet before he could reveal the raven's secret by accident. Graorin would know that the raven could speak of course, but others might not take too kindly to a talking raven.

Avi235&258
2012-10-06, 07:22 PM
"If you like," Graorin says simply.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-07, 01:48 AM
Seeing the other memebers of the part going off to do their own thing, Devka decideds to try and be helpful too. He rolls up his bed roll and checks his great axe for an damage. once he is satisfied he then proceds of the ship to have a look around and keep an open ear for any interesting rumours

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 04:20 AM
The Dead Man's Rest

Ben and Ever scout out the Dead Man's Rest. By all appearances it is a busy tavern on two stories balanced on stilts on top of a rocky outcrop. Rope bridges run off in five directions across both floors and the open rooftop and a wide scaffold, serving as a road, surrounds it. While you're watching a man arrives with a wheelbarrow full of crabs which he trades with a red faced man in an apron who takes the food back inside. A number of people are sitting at open windows, eating, drinking and smoking pipes. There is a steady stream of people coming and going, more than seems likely for people just eating and drinking.

There doesn't seem to be any danger here even though a tall halfling with a broken nose walks around the "road" and up and down the staircases between levels. He's carrying a quarterstaff and dressed in studded leather. While you watch he stops briefly to chat to the man in the apron you saw earlier and then resumes his patrol.

A delicious smell wafts over to you from the tavern, a combination of roasted hops and buttered crab that makes your mouth water. Seeing nothing untoward you or your companions walk across one of the swaying bridges and enter the main bar area.

There are a number of round tables in the place, most are taken already and at one end of the bar are two large rectangular desks. Seated at them are two clerks with piles of paper, pots of ink and large wooden stamps, each one flanked by two guards in the same studded leather as the man patrolling the perimeter. There are two queues in front of each desk. They are merchants and tradesmen for the most part. You see the mate from the Ogre's Kiss at the front of the queue with his writing desk box. Some kind of merchant or shipping transaction seems to be taking place with the clerks acting as notaries.

Bridge

Devka wanders around Bridge, making his way round the market and keeping an ear out. Most of the talk is about the Ogre's Kiss and the giant on his giant horse and you hear slightly distorted versions of the events in Old Alk repeated back to you. Other news stems from the attacks on the Six Sisters and beyond by the giants and rumour has it that Shark's Luck is overrun with the monsters.

One rumour about Bridge does reach you and that is news of Old Claws. Apparently this fearsome creature has been the terror of the island for years, attacking pig farmers, foresters and their homes inland. Nobody really knows where Old Claws lives or even if it is one of a kind. Patrols never seem to find it and it rarely attacks the same place twice.

The Island

Graorin and Athedru are followed by a curious crowd as far as the edge of Bridge. Getting around with a horse is difficult but not impossible as several sturdy bridge ways have been made for donkeys and carts. The town itself ends rather abruptly rather than thins out at the edges as you'd expect. It seems that the town has definite limits inland marked by an old wooden palisade.

You rouse a sleepy gate keeper to let you out and in the middle of complaining he warns you, "Watch out for Old Claws if you plan on crossing the island. Biggest crab you ever did see, bigger'n you." He also tells you to avoid the darker pools in the shallows as they indicate deep holes obscured by water.

Once outside you ride through the shallow water. It's a few inches deep between the low sandy hills and rocky outcrops. Sure enough you spot a few dark pools between these hills that could have been easy to fall into. Within half an hour you reach slightly higher ground and stop to dry off your horse's legs and rest.

Can you both make a spot check please.

Vesth
2012-10-07, 05:45 AM
"Dreev, I think you can talk now..." Athedru said cautiously, seeing no stranger in sight.

The raven nodded, and looked at Graorin.

"Ahh, my poor, dry beak. Graorin, mind not the words of the ignorant or the foolish...the minds of many are sheep for the experience of the bitter, and halfings in particular prefer to believe in monsters where there are none." it said, ignoring the look of charign on Athedru's face.

"Anger suits not folk like you, and dwelling in the shadows cast by others makes you a lesser mortal...or as we say in the realm of the ravens, carrion of the weak."

"...yeah! Cheer up! We feel upset when you do..."

Spot:

Dreev: [roll1]

Vesth
2012-10-07, 05:49 AM
...oops.

Spot:

Dreev: [roll1]

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 12:57 PM
The Dead Man's Rest

Ever surveys the bar, slightly taken aback at the combination of facilities that the Dead Man's Rest seems to be. He starts towards the bar for a moment, then stops and turns toward Little Ben. Ben had seemed to have some kind of plan, and Ever was unsure whether he should proceed as normal or wait for Ben's lead. He looks at him awkwardly for a moment, before speaking.

"Well?..." The word comes out a little more gruffly than Ever means it, but Ever was never one with the patience for complicated schemes. His instinct is to be straightforward and just ask about boats.

OOC
It wasn't clear to me if there was an actual bar in the bar or not, so if not, he'll just be heading towards an empty table.

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 01:43 PM
Ben hangs back a step as he and Ever enter the premises, happy to watch the response of the crowd to Ever's presence. When Ever turns to him he replies (slightly, but deliberately, loudly so as to be easily overheard),"You grab a couple of drinks, I'll see if I can locate our contact."

He makes a deliberate show of trying to subtly look around the room as if he were a simple man up to something slightly shady and trying to be clever about it.

Bluff to pull off the simple man routine - [roll0]
Listen check to try to hear what is being said around him - [roll1]
spot check to find anyone obviously looking for passengers with no questions asked - [roll2]
sense motive to identify any such individuals in the crowd - [roll3]

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 02:15 PM
Ever is slightly confused by the bit about the contact, as he doesn't remember the ship's captain telling them about anyone in particular. However, just as he's about to ask Ben what he means, it occurs to him that Ben has a plan in place. Ever just nods at Ben, turns around, and finds a seat. When he can get someone's attention, he asks for a couple mugs of ale, placing a piece of hacksilver onto the counter.

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 04:21 PM
Ben was initially worried that Ever had misunderstood his intentions, but then it became obvious that he realised that Ben had a plan.

All I need to do now is find us a ship's captain going the right way and convince him to carry us at the expense of the Mayor of Old Alk!

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 04:23 PM
The Dead Man's Rest

There is a small bar at the far end of the common room but men and women in aprons are busy carry trays of food and drink from it or returning with empties. The tavern seems to operate a waitress service. Almost as soon as you find a table a young lady in one of the staff aprons approaches to take Ever's order.

A buxom woman in a frilly gown puts her arm around Ben's shoulders, "You look lost, squire. Looking for anyone in particular?" You hear someone nearby snigger.

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 05:06 PM
Seeing that his ruse has worked (at least a little) Ben continues with it.

He turns to his new companion and whispers (straight faced), "You seem like a discrete woman who knows her way around the town," he looks around furtively before continuing with a shy smile"I find myself in need of a fast vessel to move a cargo to the Six Sisters without attracting any official attention, I assumed I could find such a vessel here perhaps you know of someone who might help? I'm kinda new to all this!"

Another bluff check to continue the act - [roll0]
Diplomacy for the smile - [roll1]
Sense motive to make sure I understand her response [roll2]

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 05:57 PM
She gives you a suggestive wink, "I know exactly what you need, follow me," and sways over to the spiral stair case going up, "Better bring your little friend too, the more the merrier." A chorus of bawdy laughter follows you up the stairs but once she's got you in a room she quickly drops the act.

"I can arrange discrete passage. It's a bit more expensive but a lot faster and no questions asked. A friend of a friend you understand. Just a way to avoid paying duty on a few goods, nothing really criminal about it," emphasis on the word criminal, "How do I know we can trust you though?"

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-09, 01:09 AM
Upon hearing about old claws, Devka decides that it might be a worthy use of his time to find out more about it. He starts to ask around about this old claws. "Where was it spotted most recently? Does it seem to appear in one place more than others? Is there anyone who has seen it and lived to tell the tale? Is there anybody who's fought it and survived? Where could these people be found? Does it seem afraid of anything?"
He mightn't spend long enough here to deal with it. But it's better than doing nothing.

Gather information [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-10-09, 03:55 AM
Old Claws is something of a local legend, a monstrous crab ten feet tall who lives on the other side of the island. "Why do you think we've got that wooden wall around the town if not to protect us from the monster?" Nobody is entirely sure if Old Claws is one beast or if there are several but only one has been seen at a time. Heroes have occasionally gone out to hunt it down but nobody has managed to kill it. Apparently a few years ago it killed some children who were exploring the island, "An' we got together a posse of hunters to drive it out wi' fire. Worked an' all. For a little while anyways."

While you're chatting about it in the market a gruff old guard pipes up, "You're one who came in on Cap'n Rames ugly old cog, ain't ye? Wi' the giant and his magic horse? Saw 'em head out earlier, that scrawny fella wi' th' crow too. Gone t'hunt Old Claws himself they said. Least ways they was loaded with weapons for a hunt."

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-09, 10:15 AM
Devka thinks to himself, leave me out of a battle, would ya? to the guard he says, "thank you kindly for your help, which way did they go?"
After getting his answer he then he storms off after the giant and his buddy to join the hunt.
If he doesn't get an answer he will look for a likely gate and go through that one

OzzyKP
2012-10-09, 04:38 PM
Kevst was impressed with the network of rope bridges on the island, he was thinking about going out and 'exploring' the islands varied bridges, houses, pockets and bags while he was here, but noticed that all his companions had things to do and places to go. Soon, everyone was gone and he was left back at the ship.

"Well," he thought, "Someone needs to hang back and watch all the loot we got before they left. Wouldn't want to have someone walk off with it, or have the Ogre's Kiss leave with all our stuff still on board."

Kevst hung back and watched the crew as they unloaded the ship, ever aware of where each of them were in relation to the group's pile of goodies.

hoverfrog
2012-10-10, 01:12 AM
The Island

Dreev taps Athedru with his beak, "We appear to have been pursued," he indicates a group of four spear carrying men walking on short stilts some distance behind you.

Bridge

Devka heads across town, taking a low bridge to the main gate. A grumbling old gate keeper is practising with his quarterstaff and doesn't look pleased to see you, "You wanna go out en'all? Busy day for it. Gates normally closed but that giant went out earlier, then a group o' 'hunters, now you. You all going to hunt down Old Claws, eh?"

--

Kevst guards their mostly empty baskets until the mate returns to the ship, "We've be setting sail soon. You stayin' or goin'?", he says. All around the crew are loading up with crab and lobster cages and you get the impression that you're in the way.

Vesth
2012-10-10, 03:27 AM
"Graorin, should we hide?" Athedru said nervously as he draws his crossbow and pulls back the string, his fingers shaking lightly.

"I might be able to provide a distraction, but it'll be a dangerous manuver." Dreev said quietly, flapping its wings in preperation of flying.

Delia2531
2012-10-10, 08:37 AM
The Dead Man's Rest

Seeing a kindred spirit in his contact, Ben decides that, for once, honesty may be the best policy.
"My good lady, let's both drop our acts; I have no way of proving to you that I am not in law enforcement and you have no way of demonstrating that you won't just slit my throat and throw me overboard as soon as the boat leaves the island. I am willing to be frank with you, we have been sent by the Mayor of Old Alk to investigate the tales of Giants coming from Islands in the North. We were given passage on a cog this far but their route is a long one and will not get us to our destination for many more days. I came here to find a fast ship, and I have always found that, shall we call your friends entrepreneurs, often have the fastest vessels and may stand a chance of dropping us off without bumping in to any Giants along the way.

Our original vessel departs in about 30 minutes so any arrangements will need to be made promptly; our little group was formed from those who happened to be in the wrong place at the right time and so we are doing what we can to help all of our little society.

If we were able to arrange swift passage for our group, 7 small-folk, a giant and his horse, we would be able to provide adequate compensation; especially if a return journey could also be secured.

My colleagues are likely to take my suggestion as the appropriate actions, but I need to return to them with that suggestion soon.

If your friends are unable to help us then you will have to excuse me as I need to continue my enquiries downstairs."

Having dropped the pretence, it had better be a diplomacy check [roll0]
And then, as I need to get a feel for her responses a sense motive check [roll1]

Avi235&258
2012-10-10, 09:05 AM
Spot checks: Graorin: [roll0]
Valerius: [roll1]

(under the assumption that since we both beat the bird's roll...)

Both Graorin and Valerius turn, having noticed their pursuers as well. Graorin curses quietly; once again, the spells he prepared that morning ("I'm on a boat!") are woefully inappropriate for his needs. This is starting to become a pattern. What he wouldn't give to Pass Without Trace right now...

He silently prepares to spontaneously Summon Nature's Ally in case of trouble, and says to Athedru, "Yes."

Avi235&258
2012-10-10, 09:17 AM
"Stay here, Val," Graorin whispers, and heads into the underbrush. Not too far away - he still wants to cast that spell and be available himself in case they try to take or kill his horse. He pulls out his scimitar (though he's been practicing with that oddly light quarterstaff, he doesn't yet trust himself to use it in a fight) and hides as best he can.

Hide (for which roll I needed to split my action into two posts):
[roll0]

Vesth
2012-10-10, 11:43 AM
Athedru nods, and quickly follows Graorin into the underbush, Dreev taking off high into the sky, out of the range of arrows, fly way above the spear-men, using its shadow to alert them to its presence.

Hide: [roll0]

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 12:27 PM
The Dead Man's Rest

Having ordered the drinks, Ever exchanges pleasantries with the young lady who serves him, only sparing a glance or two towards Little Ben. When the drinks have come, he turns towards his companion, only to see that he's no longer in the room.

Ever has no idea what Little Ben is up to, but for his part he wants to learn what he can. Ever turns to some of the people at a nearby table, trying to choose people who don't seem to be talking privately. He inquires, "What news from the Sisters? Hear tell o' bad trouble. What's the latest?"

Gather Information (if appropriate): [roll0]

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-10, 02:45 PM
Once out of the gate, Devka surveys his surrondings. He drops to one knee and looks for any trace of the giant, he figures he must be easy to spot, his tracks would be unlike anybody elses. Even Devka, being untrained as he is, should have a shot.

Survival [roll0]
I'm hoping it's a low DC, i don't have track so i can't get anything higher than 10, if he doesn't find any tracks he will pick a likely direction and go that way

He picks himself up and dusts himself off. Then he moves out, keeping a watchful eye and a sharp eye on alert at all times.

Listen [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

hoverfrog
2012-10-10, 06:16 PM
The Dead Man's Rest

"Fine, but you're taking all the fun out of earning my trust," she pouts and then offers a saucy smirk, "Look, there's no fast ships in dock at the moment but in three days there'll be a, shall we say, quiet delivery of rum and brandy to a slightly less than legitimate location bit far from Bridge. A fast ship with a captain who'd rather avoid the revenue collector, if you know what I mean." Seeing that her meaning is plain she continues, "I can make the necessary introductions, for a negotiable fee, say fifty gold bands and I'll see if I can get you fifty gold per head on a fast ship?"

Downstairs in the bar Ever spends a pleasant few moments chatting to the serving maid, "Oh it's terrible from what I hear," she says, "Raids from giants, people carried off an all sorts. Westlyn was attacked two weeks ago or so a trader said to me the other day. I heard tell that them giants have been taking ships too. Four have gone missing this month and it ain't cause of the weather as the weather's been fine.

The Island

The four spear men are walking on stilts to keep out of the water and keeping an eye on the hoof prints. Occasionally they look in your direction, shielding their eyes from the sun.

Spot check

It looks like they've spotted you but their notice is taken by the shadow of the raven overhead. They take off towards some low hills and attempt to hide, an effort completely wasted from your point of view as you watch exactly where they secret themselves.

Hide check [roll]1d20+4]

About a mile away Devka has no trouble following the deep hoof prints and the four sets of stilt prints that head west. It's messy going for him as he finds himself between knee and waste deep in low seawater.

Could Devka make a spot check please.

hoverfrog
2012-10-10, 06:35 PM
Try again Halfling spear men Hide check [roll0]

Delia2531
2012-10-11, 02:06 AM
"Believe me, if I had the luxury of time we could have worked on our relationship to our hearts' content. I'll need to find my friends and suggest this plan; I'll return here with our decision. If we have three days, perhaps we'll find that time to get to know each other a little before I leave."

With an overly formal bow, followed by a cheeky wink, Ben turns to return downstairs.

When he returns to the bar, he sees Ever in conversation (somehow, even after such a little time of knowing him, he can't think of Ever as "chatting") with a comely barmaid.

Waiting for them to finish, he sits sups from his drink and says; "well that's a tale to tell the others back at the docks! We'd better be going."

Avi235&258
2012-10-11, 07:46 AM
Upon seeing the spearmen hide, Graorin frowns. He doesn't really understand what's going on here, but...

After a minute or two of silence and no movement in the area, Graorin begins moving, as slowly and quietly as he can, in the exact opposite direction of his pursuers. He keeps careful watch and gets ready to stop and/or run for it if they seem to spot him and/or move. Meanwhile, Val remains in place as per Graorin's last order to him.

Move silently:[roll0]

Vesth
2012-10-11, 09:29 AM
Breathing a sigh of relief, Athedru tried to follow Graorin, only to grimace as he felt his robes catch in the dry twigs of the underbush.

With a desperate tug, the robes rip free, and the halfling quickly scampers over to Graorin as he felt the raven stare at him disapprovingly from high above.

Move Silently: [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-10-11, 12:11 PM
Kevst looks over to the mate who asked whether they were staying on the ship or not.

"Uhhh, I don't know..." Kevst looks around the docks frantically for any sign of his missing associates. "Everyone seems to be gone.."

"Figures," he thought, "I get roped into this crazy adventure and sail away to some strange island I've never seen before and everyone I was with just ditches me. I should have known better then to trust others... *sigh* Now what?"

His worry quickly faded as he considered the predicament from another angle.

"Well... if everyone is gone and all the gold and items are left here with me... I guess this isn't so bad after all. I can take this loot and go anywhere I want."

"I think we'll be staying here," Kevst says to the crew member.

Reconsidering for a moment, Kevst says, "Wait, what are the next stops for the Ogre's Kiss?"

Perhaps the ship will take him someplace better then this island.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-11, 01:29 PM
Devka turns his head, thinking he saw something glinting in the corner of his eye
Spot [roll0]

Newcomer
2012-10-11, 01:59 PM
"Yep, best be gettin' back. Uh.. thank ya, tha's good to know." Ever smiles at the barmaid and breaks her another piece of hacksilver.

He begins to head out with Little Ben, his mind focused on the task at hand. "So.. Any faster boats?"

Delia2531
2012-10-11, 02:32 PM
As he and Ever leave the Dead Man's Rest, Ben keeps quiet until they are out of obvious earshot. Once on the path back to the docks he says,
"We have the option of a boat that leaves in three days and will take us straight there, quickly and quietly, and may even bring us back again afterwards; just right for a quiet reconnaissance. It'll cost us 50 per head, not cheap but I am sure the Mayor's pockets are deep enough. I think it's our best option, and it gives us time to plan and try to find out a little more about what we might be facing out there. We just need to gather the others and set ourselves up somewhere for the next couple of days."

Heading back to the dock by a slightly different route to the way they arrived, and checking for followers along the way, Ben and Ever arrive back just in time to see the crew making final preparations for the next step of their journey.

"Kevst, off you hop with those baskets my friend; it looks like we're going to spend a couple of days in Bridge after all. Have you seen the others?"

based on the success of Ben's navigation there I haven't rolled for the way back.
Spot check for any tail [roll]1d20+1

OzzyKP
2012-10-11, 02:42 PM
The mate didn't know all the stops off hand, and started to leave to ask another crewmember. Just then Ever and Young Ben showed up. While it would have been nice to walk off with all this stuff, Kevst was actually glad to see the smooth talking con artist and the dimwitted ranger.

"Nevermind," Kevst shouted out to the mate, "I'll be getting off here."

Then, to Ben, "You're just in time, the ship almost left." He picks up the baskets and makes his way down to the gangplank. "I have no idea where the others took off to. So you found a ship?"

hoverfrog
2012-10-12, 01:12 AM
The Dock

One of the crew hears Kevst comment and leans over to him, "I saw the giant head to the gate about an hour ago an' another one was heading over to the market up there." He points to the bustling market on the bridges and platforms above you, "May you have good tides." he says with a smile as you leave the Ogre's Kiss.

The Island

Listen check [roll0]

The two of you begin moving away from the halflings who aren't moving. As you slide behind one of the low rises you see the crusty shell of an enormous crab moving in your direction. It isn't moving quickly and keeps stopping to look around it and wave an oversized claw up at the circling raven. It is some distance off but if it keeps heading towards you at the rate it's going it will reach you in ten minutes or so.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MdfMJdmEx30/TLNr_xFe2VI/AAAAAAAAA1k/OG7Ufjmq9Cg/s1600/crab2.jpg

Delia2531
2012-10-12, 01:41 AM
"If they've headed out, they must come back the same way eventually. What say we head out the same way? We will either catch them up or bump in to them on their way back."

Vesth
2012-10-12, 07:12 AM
"Graorin, what do we do?" Athedru asked, with a tint of desperate fear in his voice, his crossbow wavering as it points at its soft underbelly.

Avi235&258
2012-10-12, 10:40 AM
Graorin shushes Athedru. "Get Dreev out of the way," he whispers calmly. For the first time in three days he feels comfortable - he's in his element again, in the forest, facing beast rather than man, and, most importantly, he has the right spell.

Knowledge (nature) check to see if, despite its size, anything about this crab might make casting Calm Animals anything but routine:
[roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-10-12, 11:54 AM
The land is not so much forest as sandy hills with the occasional tree on surrounded by shallow sea water.

Knowledge (nature) check to see if, despite its size, anything about this crab might make casting Calm Animals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmAnimals.htm) anything but routine:Nothing would indicate that it is anything more than a giant version of a normal animal. It may be considered a dire animal and receive a saving throw or it may exceed the 2d4+1 Hit Dice that you can affect. Well, if you roll badly.

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 12:53 PM
At first Ever isn't sure about going out after the others. "Might take different path.. Uh.. Why not wait here? They be comin' back.." He's clearly unsure, but everyone knew the boat would be leaving soon. They knew they might need to leave with it, so they should be back soon.

Delia2531
2012-10-12, 03:29 PM
Ben is surprised by Ever's view, expecting him to prefer action over inaction; "The Kiss is almost ready to depart and they are nowhere in sight; we don't need to continue with the Kiss and so we can let it depart without us. I suggest we set off after our companions, and leave word for them here in case they return before we do; we have a good idea which way they went. Of course our other option is to find us all some suitable lodging for the next couple of nights and round up a hearty meal and some good ale for when they return."

Ben's life runs on feeling like he knows the necessary information, pro-active decisions and formulating plans to work the angles; he could easily settle here with the obviously more developed "not-quite-lawful" community that he seems to have already made contact with.
Maybe I'll look at settling here. I can make some enquiries in the coming days and on the way back for when all this is over. he thinks to himself.

OzzyKP
2012-10-12, 04:15 PM
"Hmmm, maybe they just got held up. Did anyone catch where they were going or why? I'm sure they'll turn up. But who knows, with these strange rope bridges everywhere it is possible they got lost. We should give them a bit more time before we start to get worried." The idea of worrying about anyone besides himself was rather foreign to Kevst, but he played along.

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 04:48 PM
Ever stood for several moments, the expression on his face clearly declaring that he was thinking. Thinking hard.

The others... could be lost.. could need help, but... running circles, looking for each other... Right, leave word here... but need a plan, need... a... uh... need a meeting place... and place to stay... and...

"Uh... Well, we could... we could leave word here. Say to meet at Dead Man's Rest... at dusk?" He looks to the others, his eyes saying something along the lines of 'or whenever works best.' "Go look for 'em... no luck, then head to town... find place to stay, make plans..." Ever trails off, unsure what to add, or whether he's forgotten anything. Yes, now that he's spoken it aloud, everything seems to make sense. That's what they should do.

Delia2531
2012-10-13, 05:43 PM
"Ever, my friend, already I know you as a man of few words, but the words you do speak are usually very wise and worth listening to. If I may interpret them, we can leave word here with the harbourmaster for the rest of our band and head off to find them. I am sure we can find bed spaces and food at the Dead man's Rest as you suggest, but we can address that when we get there."

Striking a subtly more dramatic pose Ben continues,
"What say you gentlemen, shall we set forth to discover the fates of our companions? If you would be so kind as to lead the way friend Ever? Kevst would you prefer the middle or the back of the group as your place for now?"

Newcomer
2012-10-13, 05:52 PM
"Aye, tell the harbor master, then." After they have left word, Ever sets off in the direction Graorin and Athedru took.

Survival (tracking, whenever it becomes necessary): [roll0]

OOC
OOC: If Kevst speaks up to keep the group here, I can change my post.

OzzyKP
2012-10-13, 06:25 PM
Kevst nods at the words of Ever and Ben. "Uhh, in the back I suppose." He doesn't have much to say, so with a shrug he starts following Ever.

Delia2531
2012-10-14, 02:00 AM
Allowing Ever space to follow any ground sign, and knowing that he is comfortable in his own company, Ben walks alongside Kevst and attempts to strike up a friendly conversation to pass the time.

"What with our time in court, preparing for the trip and the close confines of the voyage here I haven't had much of a chance to talk to you about our bumping in to each other in Alk. From what i saw before the guards lifted us, you have some pretty slick moves when moving through the crowd; how long have you been doing what you do?"

OzzyKP
2012-10-14, 02:49 PM
Not prepared to have Ben ask him about himself, Kevst sputters out, "I, uh, I guess its been a few years. I just do what I have to to get by."

Avi235&258
2012-10-14, 06:01 PM
Satisfied that the animal isn't anything other than a normal animal, and only slightly nervous at the fact that he's never done this to anything this size before, Graorin prepares to cast the spell the moment the crab is both in range and apparently hostile.

He doesn't know why he thought he was in the forest. It must've just been a flashback. :smallwink:

hoverfrog
2012-10-14, 06:12 PM
Once outside the gate the tracks are fairly easy to follow. A horse carrying a load followed by four halflings wearing short stilts to help them walk through the shallows all heading west. One additional set of foot prints follow these.

Newcomer
2012-10-14, 07:37 PM
Ever points out the strange tracks of the stilts to his companions. As they continue to follow the horse's tracks, he mentions that as well.

"These tracks... looks like they were followin' our friends. Another came after, on foot."

After he gestures to the tracks, Ever continues on without wavering in his pace.

Delia2531
2012-10-15, 10:47 AM
"this path doesn't seem to go anywhere, if they set off in a random direction to get out of town for a bit it seems odd that anyone should follow them. Ever, have you got a good feel for their tracks if we were to increase our pace? Perhaps we can stalk the stalkers and find out what they want with our friends! "

Ben tightens his backpack straps and hitches it a little to settle it on his back more comfortably ready to set off at a jog.

hoverfrog
2012-10-16, 12:58 AM
The crab keeps changing direction, taking a meandering route in your general direction. It doesn't seem to have noticed you in your hiding places or even to have noticed the horse standing out in the open.

--

In the distance Devka notices a tall horse standing by a bush.

Newcomer
2012-10-16, 12:29 PM
Ever looks at Ben for a second. He hadn't thought about it, but as he examines the tracks, they're pretty clearly continuing in one direction. "Think so... aye, this way."

He continues in the same direction, but quickens his pace. He tries to keep an eye ahead as well, hoping to catch a glimpse of the makers of these tracks.

Survival (take 10): 14
Spot: [roll0]

Delia2531
2012-10-16, 01:52 PM
Ben matches pace with Ever as he chases along the path following the tracks. He looks back to check that Kevst is keeping pace before returning his attention to the path.

As they move further from town he keeps his eyes sharp for signs of his friends or their passing this way.

spot check: [roll0]

OzzyKP
2012-10-16, 04:32 PM
Kevst follows along.

hoverfrog
2012-10-17, 05:22 AM
The spear carrying halflings move towards the giant crab, taking a wide path round and moving very slowly, stopping frequently to hide.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-17, 03:41 PM
Devka, upon seeing the horse, heads towards it. now who do we know that has a big horse, the giant, that's who
When he realizes that he can't see the giant or his funny little friend, Devka smells a metaphorical fish. He decides to take a more stealthy aproach to the situation and adopts a crouch before procceding.
Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]

Vesth
2012-10-17, 07:54 PM
"What are they doing?" Athedru asks, as he aims his crossbow worriedly at one of the otherr halflings. Killing on of his own kin makes him shake with sweat...

hoverfrog
2012-10-18, 01:14 AM
Suddenly something seems to alert Old Claws, maybe the wind changed and it caught a scent of the horse, maybe one of its eye stalks just happened to note movement, whatever it was it starts to move at a shuffle directly towards the low sandy hill where the horse is standing. Devka just makes out the movement but it is obvious to everyone else.

Can I have initiative from Graorin, Athedru and Devka please.

Initiative Halflings [roll0]
Initiative Old Claws [roll1]

Graorin and Athedru are in the west of the map, the halflings are south and east, Devka is to the far east and Old Claws is to the west. Each hex on the map is 5 feet.

Map in spoiler

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Wetlands1-1.jpg

Vesth
2012-10-18, 09:39 AM
"Should we run?" Athedru calls out to Graorin uneasily and he swings his crossbow between the pincer attack.

Initiative: [roll0]

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-18, 01:10 PM
The movement makes Devka uneasy and he pulls out one of his daggers, ready to throw.
INIT [roll0]

Avi235&258
2012-10-19, 03:15 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

As soon as Graorin sees Old Claws start moving - not towards him, but towards Val - he starts moving as well, interposing himself between crab and horse. He will cast the spell as soon as the crab is in range, no longer waiting for a sign of overt hostility because there already is one.

Athedru doesn't get a response from him - he's focused entirely on his quarry.

Delia2531
2012-10-19, 04:35 AM
Glad to see that Ever is following the tracks as they move, Ben thinks through the contents of his backpack trying to remember where he packed each item so that he can quickly find anything he may need. He has often found this a useful mental exercise to keep his mind clear of other thoughts and allow him to feel better prepared to face whatever the day may hold.

Keeping his eyes and ears peeled for signs of his friends, or the group following them, all the way.

concentration check (just in keeping with the idea of thinking about his equipment; if it is a poor roll I may RP the next stages differently)(Int may be better but the modifier is the same) DC12 [roll0]
spot check [roll1]
listen check [roll2]

hoverfrog
2012-10-19, 06:26 AM
The moment Graorin stands up the giant crab's attention switches to him and it moves towards you jerkily. At the same time the halflings leap up from their hiding place and charge directly at Old Claws, waving their spears and splashing through the shallows noisly.

Rolls
Roll maximum hit dice affected [roll0] - Sorry!
Will save against Calm Animals [roll1] DC14

The giant crab seems completely unaffected by your attempt to calm it, perhaps it is simply too hungry to care. The noises made by the halflings do distract it though and it swings its massive claws in their direction before circling to try to keep them and you in its sight. It is 30 feet from you when you release your spell, probably too far to get to you in the next round but still very close.

What are Devka and Athedru doing? Everyone else is unfortunately too far away even to hear the sounds of combat.

Avi235&258
2012-10-19, 09:46 AM
Graorin widens his eyes as the spell seems to do absolutely nothing. He blinks a few times, frozen in place by indecision and surprise, then grabs Athedru by the shoulder. "Let's move," he says, and breaks into a run to the northeast, giving a whistle to signal Val to come as well.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-19, 11:15 AM
Devka breaks into a run. He sets his eyes on the big crab and keeps hold of his dagger. I'm not letting a blasted crab get it's hands on that horse, i like horses

Vesth
2012-10-19, 08:06 PM
Athedru quickly nods, and sprints after the human, starting to feel the strain in his weak legs. Sweat begins to drip from pores on his skin, and his breathing starts to become heavy...

hoverfrog
2012-10-20, 03:01 AM
Round 1 Summary

Old Claws starts by charging forward but skitters to a stop when it spots the halflings running towards it waving their spears. After a moments indecision it moves to keep both groups in sight. The halflings continue to move towards the crab's right while Graorin and Athedru move away to its left with Val obeying her master's summons. Across the shallows Devka is at a sprint racing forwards, weapons at the ready.

Round 2

Map
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/WetlandsR2JPG.png

Initiative order
Athedru [18]
Halflings [15]
Devka [13]
Graorin [12]
Old Claws [5]

As before just declare your actions and I'll sort out the order afterwards.

As Graorin and Athedru move away one of the spear men shouts across at you, "Hoy, where are you going? We came to help."

If the other players want to control the halflings so that you have some involvement in the first fight of the game then go ahead. They are level 1 warriors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfling.htm) except they are armed with three spears each. I hope it's not giving away too much to tell you that they followed Graorin and Athedru thinking that they were hunting Old Claws. They hoped to join the battle and claim part of the glory.

Avi235&258
2012-10-20, 04:11 PM
What a misunderstanding, Graorin thinks to himself. Sorry, kids. He keeps running alongside Val (he respects him too much to ride him except in a true emergency), and rather selfishly leaves the halflings to fend for themselves. He came out here to be alone, not to hunt the local wildlife.

Vesth
2012-10-20, 07:56 PM
"But...but...what if they die because we leave?" Athedru called out to Graorin, turning desperately between the giant crab and his human friend.

Fumbling with his crossbow, he hesitates, but fires a bolt straight at the monster.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Avi235&258
2012-10-20, 09:09 PM
"They've got no more business taking on something that big than we do!" Graorin calls out. "If they're not smart enough to realize it..." at which point he realizes Athedru is not, in fact, running after him. Oh hell, he thinks to himself and stops running. Just his luck, his best friend seems to have assigned himself the role of an external conscience.

(OOC: Graorin's wasted his whole turn running away and will probably need to run back next round. Also, nice natural 20!)

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-21, 03:38 PM
Devka slows down and gets as close as he can to the beast before launching his dagger at it.
Looking at the map i think i will be in 45ft of the crab when i throw my dagger, which is a lovely -8 to my roll, so
Dagger throw: to hit [roll0]
To damage [roll1]
In case of a critical hit
To confirm [roll2]

Newcomer
2012-10-21, 06:29 PM
Ever continues to lead Ben and Kevst in the direction of their companions. It feels good to be exercising his legs, after spending most of the last several days confined on boats. His spear isn't much use as a walking stick at their hustling speed, but he still holds it in front of him, almost like a divining rod, tracing over the tracks in the air.

Their trek reminds him of days spent hiking through the forests of the isles, and suddenly Ever is struck with a bit of longing for a more wooded environment. Trees are good, steady company. They stay simple and true, yet they often have more to tell a good woodsman than most city folk would ever imagine.

hoverfrog
2012-10-22, 01:37 AM
Round 2 Summary
Some running around and a few shots fired to very little effect. A bolt sticks in its shell but the thrown dagger just skittered off and landed in the sand and water nearby.
Old Claws has taken 2 damage.

Round 3
Map
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/WetlandsR3JPG.png

The halflings move a little more cautiously towards the giant crab waiting to get in to close range with their spears. Old Claws shifts its full attention to Devka, turning its back on the halflings and moving to attack.

Avi235&258
2012-10-22, 05:22 AM
"Idiots!" Graorin growls to himself as he draws to a stop. "Idiots, idiots, idiots." He looks over at Val and shrugs. "No choice, right, Val?"

The horse tilts his head, looking at Graorin inquisitively.

"Right then," Graorin says, drawing his spear, and charges the crab, though he probably won't get there this round.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-22, 10:18 AM
Devka looks up at the giant crab and grimaces. he pulls out his great axe and enters a rage. He feels his boil, his vision turns red and his mind turns to thoughts of only violence. He plants his feet firmly, gets ready to strike against the crab as soon as it enters his range and lets out an ear-shattering roar.

enters rage
(readied action) Great axe: To hit: [roll0]
In case of critical hit
To confirm: [roll2]
Stat changes (i'll make adjustments for attacks in the actual attacks themselves)
Hp: 16
Ac: 16
Str: 19 (+4)
Con: 19 (+4)
Will: +5
Rage lasts 7 rounds

Vesth
2012-10-22, 10:28 AM
"Yes! I hit the crab!" Athedru called excitedly, his heart pounding as he faced the monstrous being.

Shooting crossbow at Old Claws.

hoverfrog
2012-10-22, 11:16 AM
The three halflings charge in and hurl their spears just before the crab reaches Devka.

Halfling 1 to hit [roll0]
Halfling 1 damage [roll1]
Halfling 1 critical [roll2]
Halfling 1 damage if crit [roll3]

Halfling 2 to hit [roll4]
Halfling 2 damage [roll5]
Halfling 2 critical [roll6]
Halfling 2 damage if crit [roll7]

Halfling 3 to hit [roll8]
Halfling 3 damage [roll9]
Halfling 3 critical [roll10]
Halfling 3 damage if crit [roll11]

The last halfling to reach the crab hurls his spear with uncanny precision, embedding it deep in a gap in its undershell. It checks its head long charge towards Devka, causing him to miss, and spins to face the spearmen.

Delia2531
2012-10-22, 11:47 AM
As they head further and further from town Ben. Erin's to hope that he hasn't just set them off following their friends on a little, circular, walk in the brush.

He has confidence in Ever's abilities to find their friends amongst all this, conscious that he himself is not really at home beyond the edge of the "civilised" world.

He keeps casting one eye over to Kevst to make sure that the kid isn't flagging too much and hasn't fallen over anything.

OzzyKP
2012-10-22, 04:36 PM
Kevst continues following the others further away from the town, all the while wondering why the heck their associates wandered off away from the group and why the heck Ben, Ever and Kevst were bothering to follow after them. They should be getting some hot food at the inn, not tramping around the wilderness.

Kevst was also wondering why Ben kept looking back at him. It was starting to creep him out.

hoverfrog
2012-10-22, 04:50 PM
Round 3 Summary
The halflings close to melee range hurling their spears as they go.
Devka drew close but the stupid crab was distracted as the last moment. If you like you can move to follow him.
Graorin shot across the sands to join the battle with the horse, Val, running beside him.
Athedru revelled in his successful shot but was unable to repeat it.
Old Claws has taken 10 damage. It appears unfazed by its wounds.

Round 4
Map
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/WetlandsR4.png

All three spearmen are engaged in fierce combat with the giant crab, jabbing and shouting at it. In return Old Claws is waving it's massive pincers about trying to grab the small creatures and crush them to death.

Vesth
2012-10-22, 07:03 PM
"Come on, come one..." Athedru mutters under his breath as he fires again. They have to take it down quickly before it can kill anybody...even though killing something still weighs heavily on his mind.

Shooting crossbow:

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-22, 09:17 PM
Devka, now annoyed at the crab for ignoring him, raises his axe in the air and runs at it. A look of hatred is on his face. HOW DARE IT IGNORE ME!!!
Great axe: To hit: [roll0]
Critical: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]
Rage left: 6 rounds

Delia2531
2012-10-23, 02:04 AM
Ben sees that Kevst is having no trouble keeping up and, nearly tripping over a rock he failed to see whilst looking back, keeps his eyes forward to prevent an accident.

He thinks to himself, Very easy to fall here, with all this gear and assorted weapons a trip could end very badly indeed. I'm sure the kid is more than capable of looking after himself; don't break your own neck!

Avi235&258
2012-10-23, 03:54 AM
Going to get me killed, Graorin thinks desperately, as he thrusts his spear at Old Claws. He can't help but notice, though, that he's in melee combat while Athedru's shooting from relative safety. First you get me involved, and then... he sighs mentally. STAB.

Not having learned an order for 'attack', Valerius stands ready to defend his master in case Old Claws decides to turn in Graorin's direction. Graorin could have Valerius defend the halflings, but why would he?

Avi235&258
2012-10-23, 03:57 AM
Criticals all around!
Confirmation: [roll0]
Extra damage (a spear has x3, not just x2, critical): [roll1]

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 04:33 AM
The halfings close and attack, stabbing wildly
Halfling 1 damage if crit [roll3] x3

Halfling 2 damage if crit [roll7] x3

Halfling 3 to hit [roll8]
Halfling 3 damage [roll9]
Halfling 3 critical [roll10]
Halfling 3 damage if crit [roll11] x3

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 04:50 AM
Despite having its shell cut with axe and spear Old Claws remains standing. It attacks one halfling who injured it previously then spins around, knocking several of you back and attacks Graorin, enraged at the one who inflicted the most grievous wound on it.

Attack on halfling [roll0] vs AC16
Damage [roll1]
Attempt to grapple [roll2] opposed by [roll3] Improved grab

Attack on Graorin [roll4] vs AC15
Damage [roll5] Ouch
Attempt to grapple [roll6] opposed by [roll7] Improved grab

The first claw grabs a spear man and crushes him. Old Claws spins around waving the unconscious halfling and jabs out at Graorin catching him in its claws and squeezing. With a scream of pain he yells out but this is cut off far too quickly. Blood leaks from his mouth as he passed out.

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 05:05 AM
Round 4 Summary
The halflings and human engage the giant crab inflicting terrible wounds on it but it retaliated and grabbed hold of Graorin and a halfling, crushing them both.

Old Claws has taken 46 damage. It looks badly wounded, one leg is broken and there are cuts in its shell where the flesh underneath is exposed and bleeding heavily. It is waving both the unconscious victims about and backing away towards the nearest pool to enjoy its meal.
Graorin is on -5, please roll to stabilise this round.
The spearman is on -5 [roll0] 10% chance of stabilising naturally

Round 5

One of the halflings screams out "No, not my brother" and launches into a heedless attack against Old Claws. His companion backs him up but looks ready to run.
Old Claws is backing away slowly with its catch.

Vesth
2012-10-23, 05:41 AM
It seemed that, at that moment, time had stopped.

Blood dripped, droplets of precious life that flowed out of his best friend, dying, trapped between the pincers of the cruel beast that gripped him tightly in sharp pincers.

Because he wasn't strong enough.
Because he wasn't brave enough.
Because he couldn't stand beside his friend and help him like a friend would do.

Screaming in fury and rage, he charged forwards towards the infernal thing, a bolt releasing from his crossbow as he willed it to enter the heart of the beast.

"Graorin!!!"

The silent watcher, Dreev flew off to seek help, looking for a healing potion or two in the bags of the other halflings for anything before flying to the nearest town.

...I completely forgotten I had a feat that added +1 to attack and damage when I'm closer >.>

Move 4 squares down, shoot with crossbow.

Dreev Spot: [roll2]

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-23, 10:03 AM
Even more enraged now that one of his comrades has fallen, Devka swings his axe at the beast again, putting as much force behind it as he can and letting out a wordless scream of rage.

To hit: [roll0]
Crit damage: [roll3]
Rage rounds left:5

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 10:59 AM
Devka's blow staggers it and opens a wide split in it's armour. The two halflings stab at the gap in an attempt to finish it off. Missing completely in their urgency to sprike.

Old Claws drops both the bodies and turns to run. That provokes an attack of opportunity from Devka and the halflings if they wish to take it.

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 11:09 AM
Halflings AoO

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-23, 11:12 AM
Devka, seeing an opening as the crab tries to run, strikes again quickly.

To hit: [roll0]
Crit damage: [roll3]

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 11:28 AM
As it turns its back to you it leaves an exposed gap that you quickly take advantage off, cutting its gigantic legs out from under it and burying your axe head in the soft flesh beneath its armour. It lurches with its last surge of life but flops down into the shallow water with a slash, your axe having found a vital point. You've killed it.

The spear men run to their fallen companion to see what they can do.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-23, 11:43 AM
Devka breathlessly looks down at the crab, admirring the dead beast. He took great pleasure in seeing the once fearsome beast turned into a broken body with numerous cuts and wounds. He feels his rage flood out from him, his mind becomes clear once again. It only takes him a second to remember Graorin is down. He quickly turns around and stalks off to his fallen body, seeing what he can do to stop the bleeding.

Heal (dc 15) [roll0]

Avi235&258
2012-10-23, 01:25 PM
"Ha!" Graorin says as his weapon strikes home and cuts deep. This turns to dismay as the crab rears up in anger, sends a claw in his direction -

And then everything goes black.

Stability roll:
[roll0]

Vesth
2012-10-24, 06:32 AM
"Graorin! Hang in there! Dr-Dreev will get someone..." Athedru stuttered as he rushed to his dear friend's side, helping Devka stem the flow of blood.

Aid Another: [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-10-25, 07:43 AM
Twenty minutes later the others arrive to find an enormous crab cut down by terrible wounds. Nearby are two groups of halflings. Ttwo strangers are bandaging up another while Devka and Athedru are patching up an unconscious Graorin. Both look badly wounded.

Delia2531
2012-10-25, 09:45 AM
Ben walks over and kneels beside Graorin and the others; "Well you guys didn't hang around did you? We spend our time merely having a drink and enjoying healthy banter in a friendly tavern whilst you're off having fun gettin wet and hurt!"

Thinking about the items the group received from Old Alk, Ben tries to remember what they did with the healing potions. concentration check [roll0]

Indicating to Graorin, "In all seriousness, our giant friend looks in a bad way; didn't we get a healing potion before we left town? This looks like as good a reason to use it as any! I can't remember what we did with them though," turning to Kevst he continues, "Kevst, you were keeping hold of a number of things for us; I don't suppose you have the potions, or know where they are?"

Newcomer
2012-10-25, 11:07 AM
Ever is quite surprised by the sight that greets their arrival. The halflings he has been tracking appeared to have joined forces with his companions. And the size of that crab! But the most pressing concern was their fallen friend, the giant Graorin. Ever looks to Devka, glad to see his friend safe. With a worried expression on his face, he asks the obvious. "Wh-.. What happened?"

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-25, 12:14 PM
turning to look up at his friend with a weary look on his face. Devka replies with, "We went hunting, our friend here got hurt, the meat should last us a while though." He then turns to ben and says "that doesn't sound like too bad an idea."
And with that Devka closes his eyes and leans back on the grass.

OzzyKP
2012-10-25, 04:26 PM
Kevst was surprised to see the scene of chaos before him. He was annoyed initially that everyone took off in different directions leaving him behind to watch their stuff, but at least Ben & Ever were working on accomplishing what they had all set out to accomplish. Why were these three wandering around this far from the city? What if they couldn't find a ship and needed to depart on the Ogre's Kiss? He was sure the giant was behind it all, he's been a problem from the start. No doubt it was he who drove away Nygdath, the only one sensible enough to know Graorin was trouble.

Kevst heard Ben's question, and knew at least one of the healing potions was in the basket, but didn't want to waste one of their valuable healing potions on the troublesome hulk.

Instead of answering right away he turned to Athedru, "Are you alright, old friend? Were you harmed? What happened here? Why were you all so far away?"

Newcomer
2012-10-25, 04:41 PM
Ever looks at Devka with a slightly astonished expression. "Hunting?!" He looks at the carcass of the giant crab stretching out across so much of the ground. After a pause, he adds, "Good catch." He gives Devka a wink. "But.. but.. the boat, one hour, why?..."

Ever's speech trails off, with a puzzled look on the dim-witted ranger's face. As Kevst has not yet produced a potion, Ever shuffles through his backpack and produces his own. "Use mine," he says to no one in particular, and he kneels down to the giant Graorin, checking his vitals, and carefully administers the potion.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-10-25, 05:02 PM
With a cough Graorin's eyes open. Colour floods back into his face and his wounds close. His breathing was shallow before but he takes a deep breath with only a small twinge at his badly bruised ribs.

Vesth
2012-10-25, 11:47 PM
"G-g-graorin, you're all right!" Athedru cried as he hugged his human friend tightly, tears of joy and relief spilling onto the human's shirt.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-26, 12:45 AM
A brief smile graces Devka's lips as he watches the scene before him unfold. That kid has grown attached to his human friend.
Once he realizes that he's been asked a question he turns back to Ever, "Well, these two went hunting all on their lonesome, and i was rather annoyed that i had been left out. So i came to find them and the prey."

Avi235&258
2012-10-26, 02:02 AM
Graorin regains consciousness, and the first thing that happens is somebody jumps on him. "Oooof!" he moans in considerable pain. His eyes water, and he opens his mouth to protest but can't quite get a sound out.

hoverfrog
2012-10-26, 05:22 AM
One of the spear men in the other group comes over to you, "Have you got another potion for my brother?" he asks,"He's in a bad way."

OzzyKP
2012-10-28, 02:48 PM
Kevst knew there was one potion left in the basket he was hauling around. He was hesitant to give it away to the giant and more hesitant to give it away to some strangers he met 20 seconds ago. He still wasn't sure what happened here, Athedru was too frantic about his friend to pay attention to his questions. He didn't know what lay ahead of them, if one of their group almost died during a quick stop on an island to change ships, who knows what dangers lie beyond. He wasn't about to give away the healing potion now.

After a bit of a delay, Kevst finally answered the strange halfling. With a (hopefully) sympathetic shrug he said, "Uhh, sorry, that was our last one..."

Bluff check: [roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-10-28, 03:18 PM
Sense motive [roll0]

He gives Kevst a stern look, "I think his back is broken," he says, "What about a healer? Is one of you a healer?"

Newcomer
2012-10-28, 11:52 PM
Ever realizes that Kevst is trying to protect the potions for the group, but it could be a matter of life and death. Ever figures that he used his potion for the group, so he may as well claim back one of the group's potions. He doesn't want to discredit Kevst, so he clumsily tries to save face.

"Uh.. Actually, think we got one more... uhh.. buried one in there.. bottom."

As he speaks, Ever goes up to Kevst and reaches into the basket, making a little too much of a show of how hard it is to find the potions. At long last, he clutches one of the vials and lifts it out of the basket, presenting it with a proudly satisfied look like a child who solved a puzzle.

OOC
Can I basically "take 2" on a Bluff check? It's not an epic fail, but anyone paying attention should realize that he's just playing along with Kevst's lie instead of contradicting him outright. Ever doesn't do subtle well. Well, socially, at least. (sorry Ozzy)

Also, he's only holding the potion, so if someone wants to speak up before he hands it over, there's a chance.

Vesth
2012-10-30, 08:34 AM
After a minute or two, Dreev flew back onto Athedru's shoulder, giving me a sharp peck, forcing him to give Graorin some space, as he smiled sheepishly.

"I-I'm s-so sorry I could stop you from getting i-i-injured..."

hoverfrog
2012-10-30, 09:18 AM
The brother of the injured man takes your potion gratefully and rushes over to him.
Cure Light Wounds [roll0]Like Graorin he coughs and the colour returns to his face as his wounds close and the magic revitalises him. He remains unconscious though.

"Thank you, " he calls and he walks back to you, "I'm sorry. I thought we would be of help in your hunt. It looks like we just messed it up for you. I'm Terrin and my sleeping brother is Berrin. We're Lightfoots. That's my cousin, Jorn Tanglelock. We'll help you take Old Claws back to Bridge if you like. You'll get a good price for the shell and the meat. Jorn's da will see to that." With that he goes over to the giant crab and unpacks some ropes to tie it up.

Avi235&258
2012-10-30, 01:04 PM
Graorin leans up on his elbows as soon as Athedru gets off of him. His vision swims before his eyes and, very slowly, begins to coalesce into recognizable shapes.

...the claw grabbed him round the middle and squeezed, nearly slicing him in half as it lifted him into the air...

He coughs and sits up, grasping his head as though from a splitting headache. That was definitely not an experience he's ever had before, nor one he cares to repeat.

He's furious, at the idiot hunters that followed them and got them into this mess, at Athedru for staying behind to help, at himself for failing to cast the spell... but he's too exhausted to express that anger. For now.

So he just sits on the ground and listens to what goes on around him, and doesn't answer Athedru's apology at all (Terrin's isn't even worth mentioning here).

Delia2531
2012-11-01, 09:08 AM
"I think we've all had quite enough adventure for one day, let's get this thing back to town and see what good it does us. I've secured us lodgings and a boat for the onward trip in a few days; once we've disposed of our 'catch' we can get some rest."

Ben offers a hand to Graorin to help him stand, "are you well enough to walk back unassisted friend?"

Avi235&258
2012-11-01, 02:12 PM
Graorin brushes Ben off and stands up. He begins trudging back in the direction of town without saying anything.

Let's just hope he doesn't have to make any standard actions along the way.

Dancing Shadows
2012-11-01, 03:10 PM
Devka leans in close to Ben and whispers, "I think he may be a tad annoyed, nearly being cut in half can do that to a person"
Then he walks over to the halflings tying the rope and carefully watches them.

hoverfrog
2012-11-02, 11:56 AM
The spearmen manage to turn the crab into its back and loop ropes around it. They put their fallen friend on the belly and then slowly begin to drag it in the direction of the town. They don't get far. It's simply too heavy for them to move more than a few feet.

Newcomer
2012-11-02, 01:28 PM
Ever walks up to the spearmen as they falter in their progress. He unsheathes his dagger, and using it to point at the giant crab, he questions everyone within earshot.

"So... cut 'im up, take what we can.. or... leave 'im, get wagon?"