PDA

View Full Version : Help me Wand Bad Guys to Death

Messiah
2012-09-08, 09:21 AM
This is for an already-existing Warlock 7 that I failed to plan for and thus isn't contributing much to combat. I know it's late for an optimum build, but any help making this guy into a death-by-wand Warlock by 12 would be appreciated. I understand the basic concepts, but explanations would be awesome since this is my first spellcaster and only my third extended 3.5 game.

Core+Complete (-Psionics) only. I *just might* be able to replace one of the feats if I can convince the DM.

Here's the character so far:

Dex 18
Cha 17

Precise Shot
Combat Casting
Point Blank Shot
Leadership (RP purposes)

Spellcraft 11
UMD 11

Thanks!

Malak'ai
2012-09-08, 09:26 AM
I know your looking for a wandomancer, but what Invocations have you chosen.
Depending on which ones you chose you may be able to trick enemies into looking the other way while you 'shoot' them in the back, or you float 100' over their head and rain death down upon them.

GutterFace
2012-09-08, 11:43 AM
Dual Wand Wielder feat

boom.

ericgrau
2012-09-08, 11:50 AM
Wand of fireball for fighting groups. The DC 14 save is low but not abysmal and it's save for half. So it still works very well against 3+ foes for triple+ damage. 3 x low = good.

Wand of empowered ray of enfeeblement = cripple stick. Seriously debuff 1 melee foe without a save.

Wand of invisibility for whenever the whole party needs to be invisible. Not pew pew, I know, but very handy when you need it. Don't be afraid to spam; it's more of a waste if it never gets used.

For damage there's scorching ray or just eldritch blasts. Or both, since some things have fire resistance or SR.

Standard fight might consist of: fireball, enfeeble all heavy melee, damage for remaining rounds.

If possible/plausible give your cohort the craft wand feat and have him stay somewhere safe to craft all the time.

Ask the DM if you can start with half charge wands and/or buy used wands when you go to town. 50 charges from each of multiple wands is way way too much to use even for a whole campaign. The DMG is quite fine with buying or finding wands that aren't full, though when you craft them they must have 50 charges.

If the DM lets you retrain a feat and you really want another feat then try combat casting. It's nice but not essential. Keep the rest.

Messiah
2012-09-08, 03:49 PM
I know your looking for a wandomancer, but what Invocations have you chosen.
Depending on which ones you chose you may be able to trick enemies into looking the other way while you 'shoot' them in the back, or you float 100' over their head and rain death down upon them.

Believe it or not, the DM has ruled that all casting is spontaneous. So the character can use any invocation at will.

Thanks for the info everybody! I'll keep this page bookmarked in case any more tips roll in.

Medic!
2012-09-08, 06:01 PM
Believe it or not, the DM has ruled that all casting is spontaneous. So the character can use any invocation at will.

Thanks for the info everybody! I'll keep this page bookmarked in case any more tips roll in.

Holy ****

Having access to ALL the invocations (obv except for like, dragon magizine and the ones in dragon magic) is great news for a warlock! If it was me, I'd concentrate less on "death by wand" or "death by _____" and just debuff the living snot out of everything everywhere always as a flying invisible touch-attack debuff and dispelling monster.