PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar/Soul Bind/Trap the Soul as (SLA)/(SU)

ShurikVch
2012-09-08, 09:59 AM
It is completely possible to get those spells as (SLA) or (SU). Innate Spell, High Arcana...
What about the "gem" component of those spells? :smallconfused:
It's not just expensive, it's a weak spot! Any commoner (or even rat :smallamused: ) theoretically can stop magic by breaking the gem.
And if they indeed work without the gem, then where is the soul?

Doxkid
2012-09-08, 01:27 PM
There is no material component if it is an SLA. As far as I know, there is no RAW for where the soul goes.

lunar2
2012-09-08, 02:13 PM
Ak'chazar Rakshasa's get magic jar and trap the soul as 1/day racial SLAs. ECL 22, but that's fixable with a bit of negative level cheese.

turning spells into SLA's generally requires you to pay material/focus components, either as the material/focus, or as an XP cost. idk about the specific methods you mentioned, though.

as for the fluff/crunch disconnect, oh well. that's what happens when you start messing with really esoteric stuff like that.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-08, 03:10 PM
The way I know of is to turn into a Necropolitan and then put the Spellstitched template on yourself, giving yourself Magic Jar as a true SLA.

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-08, 05:27 PM
The best way I would rule this is just that you have to provide a gem but it can be any gem (A 1 gp gem would work fine essentially). Its not RAW but it fits the idea of the spell and prevents incredible abuse.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-10, 05:50 AM
The magic is innate, why not make the soul-storage innate. The soul is trapped inside the SLA user's mind.

Makes for a nasty villian. He stores the souls inside himself, uses them to craft magic items, and the only way to prevent a victim from suffering this horrific fate is to kill him before he uses that particular soul.

Stallion
2012-09-10, 06:26 AM
Take a look at the fiend of possession PrC on page 205 (I think) of the Fiend Folio. You may like what you find.

hamishspence
2012-09-10, 12:21 PM
Shadow demons in BoVD have SLA: Magic Jar and are incorporeal.
Same with Pale Night from FC1.

Pale Night's souls are "stored in her shroud"- so something like that might apply- an incorporeal layer over the creature with Magic Jar, in which the soul is stored.

eggs
2012-09-10, 12:53 PM
I've been looking at Trap the Soul to figure out how Summon Monster 9's Pleasure Demons work.

Since the spell repeatedly references a gem, I get the impression that a gem still has to be provided, even if it isn't the material component.

Because the value limitation is a part of the component, which is removed from the SLA, I don't believe the limit exists for SLA-users by RAW (even if it's kind of cheesy).

Fable Wright
2012-09-10, 05:10 PM
The best way I would rule this is just that you have to provide a gem but it can be any gem (A 1 gp gem would work fine essentially). Its not RAW but it fits the idea of the spell and prevents incredible abuse.

Incredible abuse of that: Take a grain of sand made of Quartz Crystal. That is now your Magic Jar. Keep it stowed in the lining of your coat or something- it's now almost impossible to find. As an added bonus, as the spell doesn't have components anymore, you can now possess any creature near you, you can cast the spell on any gem from any form, creating a very awesome villain. At the end of one Magic Jar's duration, if your original jar has gone out of range, just make another out of any crystal on hand...

Looking at the RAW, I would also say that this is the best way to interpret it. "By casting magic jar, you place your soul in a gem or large crystal" (SRD). Casting the spell entails you placing your soul in a gem or large crystal (large, of course, being relative), which is something that removing the focus or material component can't take away.

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:44 PM
The magic is innate, why not make the soul-storage innate. The soul is trapped inside the SLA user's mind.

Makes for a nasty villian. He stores the souls inside himself, uses them to craft magic items, and the only way to prevent a victim from suffering this horrific fate is to kill him before he uses that particular soul.

Hey! I played Mortal Kombat as a kid too... Watched the movie also.

I feel a build coming on..

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-10, 11:56 PM
Hey! I played Mortal Kombat as a kid too... Watched the movie also.

I feel a build coming on..

Now that you mention it, that does sound like Shang Tsung. doesn't it?

Not my intent but, hey why not.

ShurikVch
2012-09-11, 01:55 AM
Thanks to all!

By the way, in the same list must be spell "Imprison Soul".

The magic is innate, why not make the soul-storage innate.
:smallwink:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/016/d/5/Alucard_The_No_Life_King_by_meso_moq.jpg

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-11, 03:44 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/016/d/5/Alucard_The_No_Life_King_by_meso_moq.jpg

Chaotic Evil Wizard: You're doing it right.