PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Uses of Thievery in an Encounter

Urpriest
2012-09-08, 11:28 AM
My next adventure involves Boggles. For those unfamiliar with them, Boggles can make Thievery checks at a range of 10 squares. I'd like them to use this ability, but I'm not sure how to do it in a way that is both relevant to the encounter and not a colossal jerk move.

From my reading of the Thievery skill, Boggles can't steal held weapons or implements, but they can steal worn implements like holy symbols and ki foci, and they can steal neck slot items (though probably not cloaks). The issue is, I feel like adjusting stats to account for this sort of thing would be tedious and that the PCs would get annoyed with me for doing it. Are there any other ways the Boggles can use Thievery during the encounter that will get the players attention without bogging things down/being unfair?

dariathalon
2012-09-08, 11:58 AM
Traps. Perhaps the encounter takes place in an area full of traps that have been previously disarmed. Now a thievery check will re-arm the trap.

NecroRebel
2012-09-08, 11:58 AM
Put some traps around and have the boggles reenable them as the party rogue tries to disable them, maybe?

What sort of environment is the encounter taking place? Could it be done where there are law enforcement personnel around that might be searching for stolen goods that the boggles could pickpocket onto party members? Alternatively, just have a dangerous golem or other creature present that attacks only whoever has a certain item... that the boggles can slip into your pockets from 50 feet away.

A lot of characters will have a secondary thrown weapon that they don't wield all the time if they're melee-based. Snatching those away and having some boggles attack from the far side of a pit might be Fun.

If your characters are high enough level to have a decent number of wondrous items, snatching them away and having the boggles use them against the party could make things interesting, too. Just getting a bag of holding snatched and then the pickpocket run away could let you easily goad your party into a reckless pursuit.

Raimun
2012-09-08, 12:03 PM
It's true, PCs think of nothing if you stab them in the face with a sword but will be furious if you steal even one trinket.

I'd advice you to steal some of their stuff anyway but let them have perception checks to notice this and don't give the Boggles a chance to escape... at least for good.

Edit: Geez, those little #¤%& sound terrifying. 4e is perhaps the most gear dependant RPG I've ever played.

Badgerish
2012-09-09, 11:42 AM
I've used Boggles in an utterly warped dungeon where the laws of physics where mostly guidelines. The group teleported in with magic key: a thin metal ring about a foot across; it broke into (number of PCs +2) pieces when they arrived. Each piece of the key would let 1 creature escape from the dungeon, in the entrance.

The Boggles attacked the party as soon as the arrived and stole... some of the keys!

There was much frantic swearing and the Boggles got away with 2 of the keys (as there was someone to rescue); also, great relief and satisfaction when they caught up with the Boggles later.

-----------------

Another 'fun' thing for Boggles to do is steal potions or alchemical items and use them on themselves or the party.

Shatteredtower
2012-09-09, 07:15 PM
Archers are not happy when you steal their supply of ammunition. No one likes having their supplies mixed up either, so that you accidentally feed a dying ally a vial of holy water she was carrying instead of the potion of healing you used to have.

Everyone loathes a creature that can keep triggering hazards from a safe distance. If you're feeling particularly nasty, you can even allow them to ready the opposite of an aid another check when they think someone's likely to attempt a particular skill. Whether it involves tripping someone attempting some Athletics feat or goosing someone trying to move with Stealth or even the right distraction in the middle of Diplomacy, make sure you can amuse your group with the attempt.

TheEmerged
2012-09-10, 01:05 PM
How sadistic do you feel? Because certain DM's who shall remain nameless (*coughmecough*) consider Thievery to be the 4th Edition skill most comparable to Use Rope.

Hilarity Ensueth.

Adoendithas
2012-09-10, 04:30 PM
OMG, I have to have some of my monsters try that! Recently I had a monster crit diplomacy followed by intimidate to convince an NPC to tie up one of the party members, but Thievery would work within combat.

Urpriest
2012-09-10, 08:20 PM
A related question: suppose a monster uses an ability that doesn't require an attack, and doesn't have an immediate effect, but affects a PC? Specifically, I'm thinking of the Boggle Chase Trickster's Foot-Snare Trick. Should I let the PCs know if they're affected by it before they move? Is there a standard way to handle this sort of thing in 4e, or is it mostly DM discretion?

Badgerish
2012-09-11, 03:59 AM
creatures are aware of all conditions that effect them.

e.g. When a creature is marked by a paladin, It knows all the details of how it is marked, how the mark ends and (because it's all part of the marking power) the damage they take if the go against the mark.

However, if a creature gets marked by a fighter, they are aware of the mark and how the effect ends, but they are not aware of the fighter's combat challenge attack if the creature goes against the mark, as that's a seperate power the fighter has, not an effect on the creature.
-------------

There may be effects that are deliberately concealed from the target, and a GM may keep the details vague the very 1st time it happens (e.g. the Boggles hands appear at your feet and do... something, but you don't know what). I wouldn't do this if it could be utterly catastrophic (e.g. the PC is carrying a custom item that may explode if the user falls prone)

Hal
2012-09-11, 05:18 AM
creatures are aware of all conditions that effect them.

-------------

There may be effects that are deliberately concealed from the target, and a GM may keep the details vague the very 1st time it happens (e.g. the Boggles hands appear at your feet and do... something, but you don't know what). I wouldn't do this if it could be utterly catastrophic (e.g. the PC is carrying a custom item that may explode if the user falls prone)

Perhaps, but I think describing it all as one action would sufficient.

"You hear a rustling sound near your feet, but only briefly. As you turn to move about the room, you realize your shoelaces have been tied together as you fall prone."

And I think that's the sort of thing I'd have the Boggles do. Probably not a RAW use of Thievery checks, but probably more interesting than figuring out which doodads the players have that can be pilfered.

Urpriest
2012-09-11, 10:31 AM
Perhaps, but I think describing it all as one action would sufficient.

"You hear a rustling sound near your feet, but only briefly. As you turn to move about the room, you realize your shoelaces have been tied together as you fall prone."

And I think that's the sort of thing I'd have the Boggles do. Probably not a RAW use of Thievery checks, but probably more interesting than figuring out which doodads the players have that can be pilfered.

The difficulty with that description is that the rustling would occur on the Boggle's turn, while the realization would be on the player's turn. Still, it looks like describing it vaguely the first time and then in detail later would be reasonable.