PDA

View Full Version : Fallout's Guide to Hats and Headwear

falloutimperial
2012-09-08, 03:30 PM
From the Akubra to Ushanka, a great invention of mankind is the hat and other head-adornments. But in RPGs, it is easy to ignore the hat, or simply use the strongest helmet lying around. This guide hopes to show the capabilities and use a hat can add to a character.

This guide is inspired by the Tricorn in 3.5's Stormwrack.

Types of Headwear

Basic hats: Light, cheap, affordable, reusable. This is the Sherlock Holmes and the Indiana Jones. It's the Mad Hatter and Snidely Whiplash. Everyone probably has at least one hat they absolutely adore. A clever PC can do most hat-maneuvers with this kind of hat, as well as add panache to the character. Never forget to tell the game-master that as you make a daring escape, you drop and go back for your hat. Because you are a higher class of player.

Head-wraps: Sleek and useful, there are several types of head-wraps, but they all amount to strips of fabric. They can't do every hat-maneuver a basic hat can. There's no space in the top to hide objects (See Below) for example. But, the wraps can be used the staunch bleeding, extended to fellows hanging off cliffs, and otherwise prevent you from having to rip cloth from your shirt like a homeless Harrison Ford.

Headbands: Of limited use. On one hand, it's barely there at all. Basically no hat-maneuvers, but it is stable in combat or when sprinting. Also keeps sweat out of your eyes. That would be useful if a game-master actually kept track of sweat and your character had his/her/it's eyebrows burned off.

Combs: In a similar habadasher-boat with the headband. Keeps hair in place and looks elegant or funky. Noticeably good with concealed weapons. (see below)

Helmets: Plain and simple, it's a hard thing around your skull. Can do some hat-maneuvers, but is heavy and hard to take off often. Avoid it for being unstylish.

Crowns and Tiaras: A better headband. It's pretty, valuable, and makes you look famous. Not always a good thing, but definitely cultivates a look.

Masks: Obviously, I am fond of this one. A player using a secret identity has serious benefits, namely that the adventurer who has enemies can be removed in five seconds flat. The mask can be intricate or simple, and have any design in it. It's circumstance bonus with some string around it. If one has a menagerie of masks, one can blend in almost anywhere.

Veils: In many ways similiar to masks, but slightly less conspicuous, flexible, and gives all-round protection from sand, ash, and conventional precipitation.

falloutimperial
2012-09-08, 03:32 PM
Hat-Maneuvers

Ever wonder how a hat can be used in the game for something other than mere spoken-word eye-candy? Wonder no more. In D&D, hats can often be magicked-up. See Hat of Disguise, the last word of hat-fashion. But you don't need expensive magic or even a magic-setting RPG to get extra miles out of your hats. Here are basic ideas off the top of my head.

Hat-grab: Simply holding a brim of hat and using the hat itself as a crude "hand" to pull or push items around.

Boiling pot: Helmets and tight weave headgear can be used to boil water and make stew. Simply use them in lieu of a cooking pot.

concealed items: If the hat is big enough, small items can be hidden under it. It's nearly obligatory with NPCs and keys.

concealed weapons: often a variation of concealing items. Can simply be a small weapon under the hat, or built into the hat itself. e.g. a stump knife hidden in a comb, skewers in a feathered hat.

Counter-sleight of Hand: yet another variation of concealed items. thieves can't get at your coin-purse until you remove your hat. You are your own pressure-sensitive alarm.

Prove your metal: Metal hats and helmets can use their tough hide in combat. Headbutt, or just club enemies with your hat.

Status Symbol: Hats are a great addition to any disguise. No one is going to believe you are the archduke unless you have his signature circlet, or seem like you do.

"Guard Post Inspection": The right hat makes your character seem like a government official. People will not respect you more, but it does have power among those you are assumed to have power over. If you ever have to beat up an official, taking his hat is free access to his office.

Brims: keep your eyes out of the sun. Look swell.

Cage: When held down, a helmet can can a diminutive creature.

Improved Wave: Where is he? There, waving the red tricorn, to the left there. Well, I'm glad we didn't have to go through needless searching.

Improved Paddle: Never be without a paddle. The slight speed you gain using your hat like this in a modified hat-grab may mean the difference between the green shore and the waterfall. Choose now.

Impromptu bucket: If it's rigid enough, and you need to move water, as often is the case in dungeon puzzles, on the open water, and at birthings.

Impromptu Caltrop: If it's a pointy hat, this may work once. Only use as a last resort because you aren't going to get your hat back in working order without at least washing the blood out.

shackles/bindings/blindfold/gag: Still more options for headwraps, turbans, and headbands.

falloutimperial
2012-09-08, 03:33 PM
Hat Compendium
This compendium lists specific hats and their special uses. They are all added by forum-posters.

___
Top Hat: This stylish hat is not only dapper, but also tall, allowing the following maneuver by Bouregard. Get the largest top hat that you can get and stuff a Petal follower in it. Now imagine the surprise of your enemies when you take off your hat and they are greeted by a tiny, sweaty little fey yelling insults and poking their eyes out with a dagger the size of a needle. As a proper gentleman you can of course use your follower in other ways, for example as a messenger or make use of her skills in flower arranging (yes really!). Large sized gentlemen can upgrade their hat surprise to a kobold while the more evil inclined crowd can request the services of a brain in a jar.
___
Goggles: As Rallicus succinctly put it: use 'em to light a fire. Also good for swimming and keeping things out of your eye.
___
Silly Hat: Special mention for the humble silly hat. In Jack of Spades's words; They're great for seeming more innocent or friendly when necessary. They're also easy to make and maintain (ramshackle silly hat just becomes more silly), as well as being capable of most hat maneuvers. Depending on the sort of silly hat, they can also have some decent utility (especially in magical settings). Best of all, most people will assume you're penniless and simple. It's a great way to keep the ugly parts of life off of one's back. Also, kids love them!
___
Umbrella Hat: This hat is built for one thing, keeping the rain out and doing it for a long time. Fun fact. In olden times umbrellas used whale-bones instead of metal. If you are playing in a magic setting that can resurrect creatures...
___
Fruit Hat: A hat you can eat. Won't last so long as a proper hat, but tastes better than leather hats.
___
Wizards' Hats: Eccentric Circle has large ambitions for the traditional uni-corn. In his words, they can have brims, sharp points, voluminous interiors and of course stars which can be used as shruiken in a pinch. Plus they indicate your status within magical society, the ridiculousness of the hat is directly proportional to the power of the archmage! Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledor, Odin, Elminster and others have all favoured this style of hat, and Rincewind's "Wizzard" varient is duly famous. You can store any number of arcane accoutrements in the top of a wizards hat.

Orran
2012-09-08, 03:54 PM
So awesome.

Bouregard
2012-09-09, 02:23 AM
The mighty helmet:
-improvised club
-add some extra punch to your headbutt
-use as cooking pot or frying pan
-improvised cage for up to diminutive creatures

Headband, turban:
-improvised shackles/bindings/blindfold/gag (make sure to wash after use)
-add water and a knot and you have a nonlethal weapon
-emergency towel (see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for further information)

Leather headwear:
-can be used as an emergency ration after cooking, note to self: bring mustard

The top hat surprise:

Get the largest top hat that you can get and stuff a Petal follower in it. Now imagine the surprise of your enemies when you take off your hat and they are greeted by a tiny, sweaty little fey yelling insults and poking their eyes out with a dagger the size of a needle. As a proper gentleman you can of course use your follower in other ways, for example as a messenger or make use of her skills in flower arranging (yes really!).

Large sized gentlemans can upgrade their hat surprise to a kobold while the more evil inclined crowd can request the services of a brain in a jar.

JellyPooga
2012-09-09, 05:02 AM
A special note should go out to Brimmed Hats; in sunny weather, these grant improved visual acuity whilst preserving the use of your hands! For the more nefarious hat-wearer, a large brim can act as an impromptu mask or simply heighten your "air of mystery" when lurking in the shadows.

Rallicus
2012-09-09, 11:37 AM
Interesting concepts, but I just don't really see the point. Some of the stuff is reasonable (status symbol, used to conceal things, etc.), but others seem almost magical in nature (the hat tipping to prevent thievery, slingshot headband, guard post inspection). I could be reading the hat tipping thing wrong -- are you implying that tipping your hat gives the OK to thieves, or that items under your hat can only be stolen if the hat is tipped? -- but the headband slingshot sort of has to be magical, due to headbands never really being that... elastic, without some modification.

D&D isn't really a style over substance game. Generally, if a character in a D&D game has the choice between wearing a cool, sleek suit of dark armor lined with gold trim, or a bright pink chest plate with cute fluffy bunnies emblazoned on the front, they'll choose the latter if it has better stats, throw on a robe and be done with it.

Eldan
2012-09-09, 05:29 PM
As the proud owner of a leather Akubra Knock-off and an original scout felt hat, I approve of this thread.

Also, the soup kettle. Round felt hats can be used as cooking pots. Over an open fire, as long as they are wet enough.

Orran
2012-09-09, 06:43 PM
This is the general role-playing forum rallicus. Anyway, encouraging some more thought about small quirks of a character couldn't really hurt a game, could it?

falloutimperial
2012-09-09, 07:38 PM
I could be reading the hat tipping thing wrong -- are you implying that tipping your hat gives the OK to thieves, or that items under your hat can only be stolen if the hat is tipped?

If you are hiding something under your hat, and you do one of those old-fashioned remove the-entire-hat-tip, then they would see the goods. In hindsight, I should have specified.

TheThan
2012-09-09, 09:10 PM
Turbans, burkas and the like make excellent rope if you have enough. Just tie them together.

Furry/wool hats such as watch caps, Balaclavas, ushankas and the like are excellent for keeping your head warm in cold environments.

Wide brimmed hats, akubras, Stetsons (read cowboy hats,) sombreros, and the like cast large shadows, which keep the sun off of your head (or in the sombrero’s case, your whole body), which helps your body keep cool in extreme heat. Plus, the wide brims also act as a rain catch and help keep you dry.

If your hat has a tight enough weave, then you can actually use it as a bowl, even boiling water in it by adding scalding hot stones to the water filled hat.

Rallicus
2012-09-09, 11:04 PM
This is the general role-playing forum rallicus.

I know, I misinterpreted the thread. For some reason I thought it was some variant rules for hat special abilities or something.

If you are hiding something under your hat, and you do one of those old-fashioned remove the-entire-hat-tip, then they would see the goods. In hindsight, I should have specified.

Got it. You did specify though, just with some grammatical errors so I must have misunderstood.

That said, nobody mentioned goggles? Use 'em to light a fire.

Jack of Spades
2012-09-09, 11:58 PM
I know, I misinterpreted the thread. For some reason I thought it was some variant rules for hat special abilities or something.

Got it. You did specify though, just with some grammatical errors so I must have misunderstood.

That said, nobody mentioned goggles? Use 'em to light a fire.

Other uses include: Impromptu anime convention attendee disguise, swimming, keeping things out of one's eyes... That's about it. You can do a couple of the tricks above though.

Another category of hats (hategory?) worth mentioning is the Silly Hat. They're great for seeming more innocent or friendly when necessary. They're also easy to make and maintain (ramshackle silly hat just becomes more silly), as well as being capable of most hat maneuvers. Depending on the sort of silly hat, they can also have some decent utility (especially in magical settings). Best of all, most people will assume you're penniless and simple. It's a great way to keep the ugly parts of life off of one's back. Also, kids love them!

Knaight
2012-09-10, 12:05 AM
Masks: Obviously, I am fond of this one. A player using a secret identity has serious benefits, namely that the adventurer who has enemies can be removed in five seconds flat. The mask can be intricate or simple, and have any design in it. It's circumstance bonus with some string around it. If one has a menagerie of masks, one can blend in almost anywhere.

Masks are also good for protecting the face from blowing sand, snow, hail, etc.

That said, you might want to include veils as a separate category (this would also include wimples). I'm also a little fuzzy on how these would be classified, as their nature as a square piece of cloth largely excludes them from the head wrap category:
http://www.picturenation.co.uk/image/view/preview/96416/arab-headgear-dummy

Headbands also warrants being extended beyond the elastic sweatband. Some are non-elastic and tied, with longer ones being usable as tourniquets.

Chromascope3D
2012-09-10, 07:02 PM
I heard that ancient slingmen would often tie their sling into a headband when it wasn't being used.

Also, don't forget gas masks! :D

Knaight
2012-09-10, 07:52 PM
I heard that ancient slingmen would often tie their sling into a headband when it wasn't being used.

I can verify that this is doable, and that you could also do the same with belts, bracelets, and much else, as slings take up very little space. That said, it's very much a sling and not a hat, and you're not sneaking it by anyone who isn't extremely stupid if the sling is an actual weapon that sees actual use within the setting, so it isn't necessarily a particularly useful practice.

EccentricCircle
2012-09-11, 01:28 PM
What? No Wizard's Hats!

They can have brims, sharp points, voluminous interiors and of course stars which can be used as shruiken in a pinch. Plus they indicate your status within magical society, the ridiculousness of the hat is directly proportional to the power of the archmage! Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledor, Odin, Elminster and others have all favoured this style of hat, and Rincewind's "Wizzard" varient is duly famous. You can store any number of arcane accoutrements in the top of a wizards hat, especially if it happens to also be a: HAT OF HOLDING complete with a vast range of extra dimensional pockets, hidden compartments and draws!

No practicioner of the arcane arts should leave home without one!

Beleriphon
2012-09-11, 03:44 PM
You can store any number of arcane accoutrements in the top of a wizards hat, especially if it happens to also be a: HAT OF HOLDING complete with a vast range of extra dimensional pockets, hidden compartments and draws!

I'm fairly certain the Mustrum Riddiculy, Archchancellor of the Unseen University, has one that includes drawers, a hummaodre, and a cookoo clock.

Ivan Kerensky
2012-09-12, 01:33 AM
I'm fairly certain the Mustrum Riddiculy, Archchancellor of the Unseen University, has one that includes drawers, a hummaodre, and a cookoo clock.

It also has a crossbow, adding a hidden weapon. Also, the Lancre witches have reinforced hats that are quite useful

Sith_Happens
2013-02-03, 01:27 PM
Sunglasses: In many ways the opposite of a mask, the right pair of shades will make a PC stand out from the crowd and instantly let anyone know that he or she is not someone to be trifled with, all while aiding the wearer's ability to see in bright light or dusty conditions. While ineligible for most hat-maneuvers, sunglasses have the advantage that they can often be worn simultaneously with other headgear.

Special note: Goggles have been known to become sunglasses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly6RJ4Pac8o) when exposed to sufficient levels of awesome.

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-03, 04:20 PM
This is a wonderful thread. :smallcool:

RE: Wizard's hats - Wizards can always wear "tinfoil hats", a large metal cone with shrink item cast on it. Getting total cover with a command word never hurts. When put in an antimagic field, the hat grows to full size, covering the wizard and blocking line of effect. The wizard can then teleport away. (or fall down and cry, if he doesn't know any such spells).

Note: Game and/or setting specific.

White_Drake
2013-02-03, 04:42 PM
No love for the fez? :smallfrown: Fezes are cool. :smallcool: Those of you that got the reference may have a cookie.