PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Flying mount?

Kyberwulf
2012-09-08, 04:51 PM
I was wondering what is your favorite type of Flying Mount. The only Limitations I ask of you is no superpowered Mount, such as a Dragon, or anything that grants you more then two powers or so.

Mine is the Griffon. Nothing super fantastical.. just kinda cool.

toapat
2012-09-08, 05:43 PM
I was wondering what is your favorite type of Flying Mount. The only Limitations I ask of you is no superpowered Mount, such as a Dragon, or anything that grants you more then two powers or so.

Mine is the Griffon. Nothing super fantastical.. just kinda cool.

it really depends on what kind of feel you want.

A gryphon is great for paladins, and is what i love

On the other hand, i would prefer something like a Dire-Wartrained Half Lion Rhino for most people

Seharvepernfan
2012-09-08, 08:02 PM
Pegasi.

A CG intelligent, perceptive, iron-willed flying horse with a fly speed of 80ft.?

Yes please.

some guy
2012-09-08, 08:10 PM
Dire Bats are absolutely Metal. And they can hover!

Toofey
2012-09-08, 10:15 PM
No one else has tried a Lammassu?

Knaight
2012-09-08, 10:25 PM
Given that this is in the General section: Aircraft. I'm not particularly picky about which, though I have a soft spot for smaller spaceships which also have atmospheric capabilities. Restricted to fantasy, wyverns are always nice, as are organic versions of hot air balloons, though enchanted hang gliders have more style.

Malak'ai
2012-09-09, 12:20 AM
Zombie Wyvern... Though never actually got to use it.

Had a Druid that rode round on the back of her Dire Bear with her Lion right behind her (with a special saddle).

Kyberwulf
2012-09-09, 12:21 AM
Aircraft isn't really a flying mount though.

TuggyNE
2012-09-09, 02:16 AM

What, you've never made a DC 40 Ride check to stand on your biplane's wing? :smalltongue:

Frog of War
2012-09-09, 03:43 AM
PF-specific, a summoner's eidolon with the flying evolution makes for a pretty awesome flying mount. Best part is, apart from needing the evolutions to fly and to bear a rider, the creature can be pretty much anything you want.

TheOOB
2012-09-09, 03:47 AM
Half-Celestial Dachshund

Frog of War
2012-09-09, 03:51 AM
Half-Celestial Dachshund

I revoke my choice. This.

Kyberwulf
2012-09-09, 05:04 AM
So your saying, you want a Luck Dragon?

Knaight
2012-09-09, 08:45 PM

Not when used properly, no. When used the way PCs tend to use them though, it has a tendency to veer well into mount territory. Plus, semi-biological craft are prevalent throughout space opera, which is where space and atmospheric craft tend to show up.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-09-09, 09:39 PM
Zombie Wyvern... Though never actually got to use it.
My necromancer tried it once... the rest of the party refused to go for it. (Damned druids...)

And I don't know the statblocks for these so it's based on coolness factor.

Phoenix - Assuming you got fire immunity, otherwise ouch.

Hippogryph - Because gryphons are to damned common.

Giant Eagle - Classic.

Flying Broom - add a kettle, a black cat and a somewhat floppy, pointy, broad-brimmed hat and you're good to go.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-09-09, 09:59 PM
Asperii. A Neutral Good shining white horse that can fly by levitation and communicate by telepathy. Fly-speed is somewhere around 100 ft. per round (converting from 2nd ed. up to 3.5). My personal favorite feature of them is their ability to cast Feather Fall four times a day. An extra safety net in the event of getting knocked off your mount.

Malak'ai
2012-09-09, 10:00 PM
My necromancer tried it once... the rest of the party refused to go for it. (Damned druids...)

And I don't know the statblocks for these so it's based on coolness factor.

Phoenix - Assuming you got fire immunity, otherwise ouch.

Hippogryph - Because gryphons are to damned common.

Giant Eagle - Classic.

Flying Broom - add a kettle, a black cat and a somewhat floppy, pointy, broad-brimmed hat and you're good to go.

We had my (NE) Fighter and (LG/TN/CE... Multiple personalities) Necromancer, a Bard and a Neg-Energy Cleric in the party... So yeah, no problems on that front :smalltongue:.

archon_huskie
2012-09-09, 10:38 PM
Played a Paladin/Monk of the Elven Nature Goddess, Who's symbol is a Unicorn.

DM liked the idea of my horse mount being a unicorn instead so Upgrade! my horse got a horn attack. Later, one of the other players admitted that he'd thought Unicorns had wings. DM liked the idea. so Upgrade! I got a flight movement.

karkus
2012-09-09, 10:45 PM
What, you've never made a DC 40 Ride check to stand on your biplane's wing? :smalltongue:

I think that they had those kinds of people in the ~1950's...

Anderlith
2012-09-10, 12:42 AM
Draggone, a dragon lion with a cool roar? Sign me up

TuggyNE
2012-09-10, 12:45 AM
I think that they had those kinds of people in the ~1950's...

20s and 30s, mostly. That's what I was alluding to. :smallwink: (Although from what I hear it wasn't actually a DC 40 to either wingwalk or stand on a horse's saddle, but I'll chalk that up to "WotC doesn't know how hard athletics is" and call it good.)

Deploy
2012-09-10, 12:59 AM
Pterodactyls were flying before it was cool

Jack of Spades
2012-09-10, 01:27 AM
Pterodactyls were flying before it was cool

Insects beat them to it. Besides, Pterodactyls made it mainstream: Now vertebrates are flying all over the place!

OT: As inspired by my previous sentence, any kind of giant insect (in all of its scaled-up, disgusting, many-haired glory) would be pretty cool. Alternatively Quetzalcoatlus. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus) Dire Bats may be metal, but Pterodactyls are van-art metal.

Unless having wings grafted onto one's back counts. In which case, that.

Jay R
2012-09-10, 01:58 PM
Actually, I prefer an Ebony Fly. It's more convenient if your mount fits in your pouch, and doesn't need to eat.

Knaight
2012-09-10, 02:09 PM
OT: As inspired by my previous sentence, any kind of giant insect (in all of its scaled-up, disgusting, many-haired glory) would be pretty cool. Alternatively Quetzalcoatlus. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus) Dire Bats may be metal, but Pterodactyls are van-art metal.

Some insects come out looking better for this than others. Personally, I'd put dragonflies on the top of the heap, but beetles (particularly horned beetles), moths, butterflies, cicadas, grasshoppers, and of course flying ants all have some style to them as well.

some guy
2012-09-10, 06:25 PM
Insects beat them to it. Besides, Pterodactyls made it mainstream: Now vertebrates are flying all over the place!

Definitely true. Pterodactyls kick several kinds of rear.

jackattack
2012-09-10, 06:38 PM
Fire Mares. They can run a thousand leagues in a day, and leave a flaming contrail in the sky.

Loth17
2012-09-10, 06:49 PM
Dragon all the way.

Anderlith
2012-09-10, 07:12 PM
Construct Horse with the ability to fly. It never gets tired

Tantaburs
2012-09-10, 08:38 PM
I got a soft spot for nightmares.

Nothing says "Your gunna die" quite like a scythe wielding tower of spiked full plate riding a flaming horse

Deploy
2012-09-11, 12:29 AM
I suppose insects did beat pterodactyls to the flying scene. Imagine a giant honeybee mount, use its kamikaze sting to take down aerial opponents and then ride off on a giant zombie honeybee mount .

Jay R
2012-09-11, 07:36 AM
Imagine a giant honeybee mount, use its kamikaze sting to take down aerial opponents and then ride off on a giant zombie honeybee mount .

... using its kamikaze sting to take down ONE aerial opponent and then ride off on a giant zombie honeybee mount with no stinger.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-11, 09:36 AM
Effigy Soarwhale, because there is a now colossal mechanical whale floating towards you carrying 38 tons as a light load. A mount for the whole party and then some.

Korivan
2012-09-11, 10:36 AM
Dragon
roc
pheonix
an enlarged winged cat (don't remember spelling, something like tresslyn?)

Calemyr
2012-09-11, 11:30 AM
In a 3.5 game I played the most fun class I've ever played: an artificer. He crafted a bunch of effigy constructs to serve as vehicles, most notably a colossal wyvern for the party (with the team warlock sitting in the throat to provide hellfire breath attacks). It quickly became the party's primary mode of travel - though we were only allowed to use it for one big fight.

The artificer's personal mount was an effigy gold dragon, which he used as something of a motorcycle. And a fast plane with fittings so I could arm it with a staff and a few wands to use as weaponry in combat.

For land travel he used a bulette effigy modified into a tank.

Needless to say, the artificer's taste for invention ended up redefining the tech level for the entire setting.

Knaight
2012-09-11, 05:51 PM
I suppose insects did beat pterodactyls to the flying scene. Imagine a giant honeybee mount, use its kamikaze sting to take down aerial opponents and then ride off on a giant zombie honeybee mount.
A wasp would be even nicer, though I stick by my previous points regarding dragonflies.

Manly Man
2012-09-11, 07:23 PM
... using its kamikaze sting to take down ONE aerial opponent and then ride off on a giant zombie honeybee mount with no stinger.

Actually, a bee's stinger simply wasn't meant to go into flesh similar to a human's is all. A bee can go and sting the Hell out of any bug it pleases, but there's something about the texture of skin that makes their stingers stick.

Also, I second the nightmare.

toapat
2012-09-11, 07:50 PM
Actually, a bee's stinger simply wasn't meant to go into flesh similar to a human's is all. A bee can go and sting the Hell out of any bug it pleases, but there's something about the texture of skin that makes their stingers stick.

Also, I second the nightmare.

The reason why wasps/hornets/yellow jackets can sting insects multiple times but cant survive stinging anything else is because their Stinger's are barbed. an Insect's exoskeleton just shatters at the impact, flesh is more plyable, and thus catches the barb. when the insect goes to pull it out, they rip out their internal organs because of that.

on the other hand, it takes a few stings for a Bumblebee to do the same.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-11, 08:20 PM
Air elementals. Fly 100ft at perfect maneuverability? Sign me up!

Akal Saris
2012-09-11, 08:24 PM
Soarwhales are awesome
My last character rode an abyssal drake (the love-child of a demon, dragon, and wyvern?)
But really, anything with a fly speed for dirt cheap is awesome. So dire hawks, war-trained mounts, etc.

D&D 3.5's Book of Exalted Deeds had the "Valiant Steed" spell at 6th level, that lets the caster summon a unicorn or a pegasus for one year for no cost except a piddly amount of Str drain at the end of the year. Hell, a cleric can even cast it spontaneously if she wanted.

Dimers
2012-09-11, 09:18 PM
Half-Dragon Gelatinous Cube.

Emmerask
2012-09-11, 09:21 PM
duno if it really can be made into a mount, but the flying wale thingies are awesome ^^

/oh was already mentioned still they are awesome ^^

Doxkid
2012-09-12, 09:39 AM
Anything modified by a Fleshwarper.

Toss some Rollers (add 20 to the creature's base speed, but it cant Run. It can still Hustle though.) a Yaun-Ti tail (gives the creature a base swim speed of half its normal land speed) and some wings (give it twice its land speed as a fly speed) on...lets say a Tiger, or Tiger zombie because they're awesome. Lets assume you also have Nimble Bones for an additional +10 land speed.

Tiger Zombie: 70 Land speed, 35 water speed and 140 Air speed.

Tiger: 60 Land speed, 30 water speed and 120 Air speed but it can Hustle to reach 120 land speed, 60 water speed and 280 air speed.

Total cost is 26,000 gold. Just a little more if you use a zombie (I suggest using a normal tiger and reanimating it as a zombie if it ever dies) and a feat tax if you want the full zombie package.
-
Of course, if you want a fast ride you should go with something like...a Unicorn or better, so you get stats like this:

Unicorn Zombie: 90 Land speed, 45 water speed and 180 Air speed.

Unicorn: 80 Land speed, 40 water speed and 160 Air speed and can reach 160 land speed, 80 water speed and 320 air speed when hustling

-

Unfortunately, the wings are keyed of its normal land speed and not its current land speed (which works with the rollers because replacing its legs completely change that speed) so things like 'Horseshoes of Speed' don't boost its fly speed further. You can boost it directly with things like Haste though.

If you're going that far you can pop a Shudder plate or Antenna into the creature as well. Both give tremmor-sense, but with different ranges (Shudder Plate is 15 ft and costs 8k gold, while the antenna is 60 ft and costs 20k gold).

Still, who wouldn't want a literal living motorcycle/Jet-ski that can fly? best thing about the zombies is that you can pop it into a Pokeball Portable Hole so it won't get stolen.

Kiero
2012-09-12, 09:59 AM
Given we're in the general RPG section, not a D&D-specific one, I'm going with a Basilisk War Droid:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/65/Basilisk_war_droid.JPG

Jack of Spades
2012-09-12, 03:33 PM
Oh, I almost forgot!

Flying purple hippo... of doom? (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159097)

/thread.

toapat
2012-09-12, 05:13 PM
Oh, I almost forgot!

Flying purple hippo... of doom? (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159097)

/thread.

looks like you need to change your name to Ace of Spades.

PrismCat21
2012-09-15, 01:18 PM
Based solely on mounts I was ever actually allowed to use...
Spider Eater - I was able to make it my halfling rangers animal companion due to major fluff reasons and the cost of a feat :)
Dragons of all size soon learned there was no escape from the mighty AnkleBiter!

I also once had my Elven Geomancer 'surf' our Golith Barbarian with a ring of levitation.

cattoy
2012-09-17, 02:30 AM
nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyancat!

Joe the Rat
2012-09-17, 01:22 PM
I've always had a soft spot for flying carpets, though I suppose it doesn't count as a mount if it doesn't have some level of independent awareness...

Anderlith
2012-09-17, 02:15 PM
I've always had a soft spot for flying carpets, though I suppose it doesn't count as a mount if it doesn't have some level of independent awareness...

Intelligent magical carpet, like from Disney's Aladdin

hamishspence
2012-09-17, 02:33 PM
The reason why wasps/hornets/yellow jackets can sting insects multiple times but cant survive stinging anything else is because their Stinger's are barbed. an Insect's exoskeleton just shatters at the impact, flesh is more plyable, and thus catches the barb. when the insect goes to pull it out, they rip out their internal organs because of that.

on the other hand, it takes a few stings for a Bumblebee to do the same.

Wasps- and bumblebees- don't have barbed stingers- so they sting multiple times just fine. It's only honeybees and the like that have the barbed stinger.

Queen honeybees also lack the barbs.