PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Battlefield Control Monk Build Critique

Coda A27
2012-09-08, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

I haven't been reading D&D 3.5 for many years, before Tome of Blood came out, and I'm about to join a campaign in a planar setting.

I wanted this concept to be a low flash but effective Kung Fu monk. I spent a lot of time figuring this out - mostly by reading this forum - and wanted to know if this could be improved upon. I originally wanted to focus on lots of options and after fleshing this build out eventually settled on trips, disarms, and Tome of Blood maneuvers. I ruled out any reliance on magical items, decided against polymorph, and there aren't any psionics allowed.

Here are my stats:

Race: Human
STR 10
DEX 15
CON 10
INT 13
WIS 17
CHA 10

Build Progression:
Monk 2 / Monk of the Enabled Hand 4 / Fighter 4 / Swordsage (Unarmed Variant) 5 / Master of Nine 5
(Warning - Did not work out the skill points to see if they'll fit)

BAB Info:
BAB with Snap Kick: +14/+14/+8/+3
Greater Flurry with Snap Kick: +14/+14/+14/+8/+3

Feat Build
LEVEL 01 Monk 1 (Passive Way)
Feats:

Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm (for MotEH)
Deflect Arrows (for MotEH)
LEVEL 02 Monk 2
Feats:

Improved Trip
LEVEL 03 Sword Sage 1
Feats:

Adaptive Style
LEVEL 04 Sword Sage 2
LEVEL 05 Fighter 1
Feats:

Intuitive Attack
LEVEL 06 Swordsage 3
Feats:

Superior Unarmed Strike
LEVEL 07 Fighter 2
Feats:

Improved Natural Attack
LEVEL 08 Swordsage 4
LEVEL 09 Swordsage 5
Feats:

Snap Kick
LEVEL 10 Monk of the Enabled Hand 1
LEVEL 11 Monk of the Enabled Hand 2
LEVEL 12 Monk of the Enabled Hand 3
Feats:

Improved Initiative (for Master of 9)
LEVEL 13 Monk of the Enabled Hand 4
LEVEL 14 Fighter 3
LEVEL 15 Fighter 4
Feats:

Dodge (for Master of 9)
Blindfight (for Master of 9)

Enter Master of Nine class...

So I have the majority of my bases covered feat-wise with Intuitive Attack, Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack, and Snap Kick, in such a way where they'll hit on the right BAB progression.

I wanted to know if there would be anyway to improve this, if there's anything that I'm missing, and if it's possible to:

Place one more feat (Shadow Blade) in the lower tiers without disrupting the Intuitive Attack > Snap Kick chain.
Somehow swap the feat pre-req's for Monk of the Enabled Hand to right before I take the prestige class since the feats are somewhat dull (Improved Disarm, Deflect Arrows).
Additionally, if the feat pre-req's for Master of Nine can be placed in first level which would be much better (Blindfight, Improved Initiative)
Lastly, I had a gap between Monk of the Enabled Hand and the Master of Nine, somewhere between Level 13/14 and 16. I needed one more feat to fulfill my Master of Nine pre-req's, and after searching in all my sourcebooks settled on two more classes of fighter for the one feat.

Henshin Mystic and Shintao Monk (Oriental Adventures) would have both worked splendid for providing an extra feat in the first level or two of their classes if not for the fact they require more Monk classes as well!

Shou Disciple could have worked but I didn't need the additional Monk Progression (since Monk 2 + Swordsage 5 + Monk of the Enabled Hand 4 + Superior Unarmed Strike + Improved Natural Attack = 3d6 damage instead of a possible 3d8 if I took two more Monk classes). Also, Fist of the Forest for this build does not interest me.

If you had three levels to fill between 13 and 15 and wanted an extra feat with the above build, what would you do?

Thanks for reading!

Thurmin
2013-03-01, 02:17 AM
I realize this is crazy late, but have you thought of the Martial Rogue ACF from Unearthed Arcana? Give up Sneak Attacks for Fighter Bonus Feats. This would allow you to replace Fighter 3 & 4 for Rogue 1 & 2, getting 2 bonus Fighter feats.