PDA

View Full Version : Does this Wildshape Item Exist?!

HunterOfJello
2012-09-09, 02:47 AM
Hey guys, I was reading through a bunch of handbooks today while building a Druid//Sorcerer and thought that I saw an item from some random book that allows a Druid to Wildshape into 1 size larger than normal. I dismissed it at the time, but am looking for it now and can't find it.

I know that there's the Gargantuan Wild Shape [Epic] feat which wasn't it and I know that there's a spell which lets you turn into a gargantuan animal when wildshaping, but I don't think that was it either.

So, has anyone heard of an item for druids that allows them to increase their Wild Shape size by one category?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 02:57 AM
There are items that give you a higher effective level for purposes of Wild Shape, which can give you access to the next size increase as though you were a higher level Druid. (Trappings of the Beast set in CC, Skin of Kaletor in Dragon 324)

A trick that was useful before the errata that changed Wild Shape to mimic Alternate Form instead of Polymorph was to cast Animal Growth targeting yourself, your animal companion, and anything you'd summoned. Your creature type no longer changes to animal when Wild Shaped, but many groups have grandfathered that to still work.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-09, 03:16 AM
A trick that was useful before the errata that changed Wild Shape to mimic Alternate Form instead of Polymorph was to cast Animal Growth targeting yourself, your animal companion, and anything you'd summoned. Your creature type no longer changes to animal when Wild Shaped, but many groups have grandfathered that to still work.

Haha. I'm glad that I've only ever had to look at the Wildshape rules as they're defined in the Rules Compendium. It definitely makes things much much simpler.

There are items that give you a higher effective level for purposes of Wild Shape, which can give you access to the next size increase as though you were a higher level Druid. (Trappings of the Beast set in CC, Skin of Kaletor in Dragon 324)

Yeah, I have the entire Trappings of the Beast set and a the Druid's Vestments already on my character. I could grab the Wild Shape Amulet, but I'm already level 15, so that would only give me access to Huge Elementals a few times per day, which isn't too big a deal to me.

I was sure that there was an item I saw quickly mentioned somewhere that would let you wildshape into a size one larger than you could currently. I hope I'm not just dreaming it up.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 03:21 AM
I'm guessing you dreamed it up, though I'm sure such an item exists in some third party book.

You could actually get Enlarge Person + Permanency and it would stay active when you Wild Shape.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-09, 03:31 AM
I'm guessing you dreamed it up, though I'm sure such an item exists in some third party book.

You could actually get Enlarge Person + Permanency and it would stay active when you Wild Shape.

It sounds like it now. Heh, that wasn't my intention.

~
I was trying to work out a way to wildshape into dragons of a size larger than Medium. I really like Draconic Wildshape, but if I could get into Large sizes, it could be even better.

I did however just realize that I read the item description for the Wildshape Amulet wrong. It's a badly made item, but it says, "allows a druid to
use her wild shape ability as if she were four levels higher". That means I would count as having 19HD instead of 15HD when choosing types to wildshape in to.

At least that's one interpretation... I'll have to ask my DM.

Keld Denar
2012-09-09, 05:02 PM

Multiple magical effects that change your size never stack. Wildshape is SU, which is magical. If you WS into a form that is large or huge, it would overlap and not stack with the effects of the Enlarge Person spell.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-09, 05:06 PM
A staff of Giant's Growth on the other hand... A Druid with a decent UMD check could spend their time as a colossal pigeon.

Venger
2012-09-09, 05:25 PM
Multiple magical effects that change your size never stack. Wildshape is SU, which is magical. If you WS into a form that is large or huge, it would overlap and not stack with the effects of the Enlarge Person spell.

What? I haven't heard it told that way before. wild shape, as mentioned, no longer changes your type, so assuming you're humanoid, enlarge person would move you up a size either before or after. I'm not sure that wild shape counts as an effect that changes your size since it changes you into another monster entirely.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 05:43 PM

I'm pretty sure effects that change size, and effects that change you into the form of another creature, are considered separate types of effects. I gave Rules Compendium a few quick ctrl-F's, but didn't find anything about changing sizes. Could you reference or quote the exact wording of that ruling?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-09, 07:56 PM

I'm pretty sure effects that change size, and effects that change you into the form of another creature, are considered separate types of effects. I gave Rules Compendium a few quick ctrl-F's, but didn't find anything about changing sizes. Could you reference or quote the exact wording of that ruling?

Quoted because they each represent the opposing sides of the argument that has no definitively RAW answer.

Ask your DM about this one, because his answer is the right one.