PDA

View Full Version : PF Build Idea's - Lvl 6

Man With Dog
2012-09-09, 09:57 AM
Good Afternoon Playgrounders.

Was looking for some idea's as i have churned ideas over in my head continuously for hours and hours.
Making an addition to our current party - We have most aspects covered but only one certified front rank fighter so this is where my initial thoughts are laying. We are currently level 6.
Things like Monk, Barbarian, Inquis, Cavalier (EDIT) etc.
We have the skills, healing, arcane and such all definitely figured out.

With a generous point buy that will allow me an 18 if required - What do you think the best addition would be?

I toyed with the concept of the Sword and Board fighter, i thought of a ranger based melee - a smash face barbarian and dont know enough about crusaders to think too much at all.

Anyone out there with idea's or build concepts they would like to share for a Lvl 6 character? :smallsmile:

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-09, 10:58 AM
For a PF rules only front liner?

Summoner (via the eidolon) or Synthesist Summoner makes for a strong tank with lots of options, including pounce. Level 6 is when flight evolution comes online.

Druid at 6 can wild shape into large creatures w/ pounce and will have been able to get natural spell by then.

Paladin is great at not dying and utterly destroying a few specific foes per day, but is quite lacking offensively against anything else.

A Beastmorph Vivisectionist Alchemist is great in melee and is just starting to reap the rewards of his archetypes at 6 (flight; both through beastmorph and as a discovery option), though the big level for them is 10 (pounce and finally able to cast greater invisibility).

For Ranger, I have a 2 shield build concept that reaches its peak potential around levels 6-9. By level 6, you have shield slam for free bull rushes and shield master for the ability to TWF w/ Heavy Shields at no penalty. You just may not quite have the cash for 2 +1 Bashing spiked heavy shields. Such a character is great for forcing enemies into pit spells and the like. After Ranger 6, I'd go into Brawler Fighter, assuming the DM lets you use gloves of dueling with the brawler's weapon training replacement.

Barbarian...doesn't really come into its own until ECL 9 (fatigue immunity via Oracle dip or Horizon Walker dip) or Barb 12 (usually ECL 13, due to the dip) when he gets Come and Get Me rage power and Dazing Assault feat. And uses them. Together. :smallbiggrin:

Magus is also a solid melee class from start to finish. Not sure if anything really exciting happens at 6, but they're never *not* a good class.

EDIT: You said Crusader. If you mean the 3E class, then by all means consider that as well. Just get WR Tactics, and next level pick up Divine Surge, and the other choices don't really matter so much (though reach weapon + Combat Reflexes + Thicket of Blades stance is somewhat nice...less so in PF, but still nice). Warblade is also a great melee class. Swordsage I would avoid in a PF game, they rely too much on tumble, which PF nerfed massively, and they're pretty squishy without it.

Man With Dog
2012-09-09, 01:00 PM
Thats alot of very goo dinfo and direction idea's.
Very appreciative.

Summoner
Fighter (or Ranger as the 2 shjield idea sounds intriguing - Does anyone have more information on this style of build?)
Alchemist
Barbarian

Are the ones interesting me the most right now.
Am always open for more idea's on how to utilise myself for the party - but make damned sure i can make an impact too.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-09, 04:03 PM
Ok, going by what you've said, you have in the party...

- Ranged rogue
- Magus
- A two weapon fighter.
- A cleric
- A witch

That's pretty well rounded already, you could do whatever role you want, probably. If you want melee, of the options I mentioned...

- Magus is alreeady being done, not that this has to stop you...
- There's already a sneak attacker, though he's melee, so Viv. Beastmorph Alchemist wouldn't necessarily seem redundant.
- Summoner is just amazing. You could do vanilla Summoner, Synthesist, Wild Caller, or Master Summoner, all are good archetypes. Wild Caller and Synthesist might even stack, it's kind of a fringe case where they share a common class feature change, but don't actually conflict, IIRC. Do you have any preference for here?
- The Two Shield Ranger idea I had a thread (http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/308795-dual-shield-ranger-build-help.html) about on ENWorld. I don't think it'd work too great here, though. It's best with a party that can do battlefield control spells well. Witch is subpar to mediocre at that and cleric is awful at it.
- Barbarian is ok at level 6, but really doesn't get great for a few more levels. That's doable, though. Would you be ok with dipping Oracle to cycle in and out of Rage to make 1/rage powers into 1/round powers? That is the heart of the mid-game barbarian's strength.

What would you like to play? Your party is well-rounded, you're quite free to do what you want and not leave them hurt for it.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-09, 04:12 PM
How odd...no matter how many times I refresh, the board doesn't show that I've posted to this thread, yet has my post...

Blyte
2012-09-09, 09:44 PM
halfling on a dog

Cavalier(emissary) 1 / Monk(sohei) 5 -> 6

you are good at level 6, and you get ridiculous at level 7.

I don't agree with the someone getting to attack multiple times with a lance on a charge (the weapon just isn't designed to attack that way), but it's RAW compatible.

Alternatively, you could make a cavalry captain type, using a scimitar (re-skinned to a saber) and the dervish dance feat. This way you get a pure dex build halfling.

at level 7 you will be able to charge in and flurry for 3 attacks (4 if you use a ki point I believe). each one doing double damage with spirited charge. you definitely want to make that saber keen ASAP, for x4 damage goodness (or take improved crit when you can).

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-09, 09:53 PM
Actually, paizo recently FAQ'd the lance thing. You only multiply damage on the first attack on a charge now.

grarrrg
2012-09-09, 10:25 PM
How odd...no matter how many times I refresh, the board doesn't show that I've posted to this thread, yet has my post...

Did you get one of the "error 50X" type messages on your last/prior post?
Cause that will do it.

Man With Dog
2012-09-10, 01:08 AM
halfling on a dog

Cavalier(emissary) 1 / Monk(sohei) 5 -> 6

you are good at level 6, and you get ridiculous at level 7.

I don't agree with the someone getting to attack multiple times with a lance on a charge (the weapon just isn't designed to attack that way), but it's RAW compatible.

Alternatively, you could make a cavalry captain type, using a scimitar (re-skinned to a saber) and the dervish dance feat. This way you get a pure dex build halfling.

at level 7 you will be able to charge in and flurry for 3 attacks (4 if you use a ki point I believe). each one doing double damage with spirited charge. you definitely want to make that saber keen ASAP, for x4 damage goodness (or take improved crit when you can).

I used to love half-ling dog riding builds.
Always lived in fear of my dog dying though...
Poor little fella's.

I guess the problem i have is i dont really know what i want/need and dont want to tread on other party members toes at all.

Blyte
2012-09-10, 09:34 PM
Actually, paizo recently FAQ'd the lance thing. You only multiply damage on the first attack on a charge now.

That's great, it was just ridiculous.

Blyte
2012-09-10, 09:38 PM
I used to love half-ling dog riding builds.
Always lived in fear of my dog dying though...
Poor little fella's.

I guess the problem i have is i dont really know what i want/need and dont want to tread on other party members toes at all.

dog death shouldn't be a problem.

just take boon companion, and after level 6 monk, switch back to cavalier. Your dog will only be 2 levels behind you. and you can spend a ki point to give him 12 temp HP. not to mention mounted combat let's you buff his AC HIGH. later take trick riding to give him two AC buffs. He will also have evasion to avoid area attacks.

Tokuhara
2012-09-10, 10:40 PM
I actually suggest an Elemental Knight Magus with Words of Power.

I know the Suli isn't Optimal for Magus (freaking -2 INT is a hit), but look at it like this:

If you focus on your unarmed strike, you can channel a wide variety of spells through your fists. Sure, it isn't Power Attack Barbarian, but channeling a Charm Person spell into a punch to the face is still fluffy as all sin. It has flavor oozing from every orafice.