PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Samsaran wizard (non-wizard spells)

Norix
2012-09-09, 11:51 AM
Hi,
I'm working on a Samsaran (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/uncommonRaces/samsarans.html) wizard with the alternate racial trait to select arcane non-wizard spells to add to my wizard spell-list (Mystic Past Life). As I only start with an intelligence of 17 I am limited to 4 spells and I have a hard time picking them.
The party is rather exotic and low-optimized: 2x Assassin (Doppelganger and Serpentfolk), 1x Sorcerer (Drow)
No healer, but the basic healing (wand of cure light wounds) can be done by the doppelganger.

For the spells I want to stick to the following criteria:
- Only spells from the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)
- Core and APG spells preferred
- No early access cheese (only non-wizard spells)
- Only basic spell-list spells (no patron spells etc.)

Due to the "no healer problem" I was thinking about taking Heal (Witch, Lvl 7) as an in-combat heal (or do you think that a cure mass wounds would be better for that?).

So what 4 spells would you choose?

Corlindale
2012-09-09, 12:57 PM
Heal is a nice choice. It's certainly more useful for combat healing than mass cure.

The Bard list has some gems as well. Your allies will love you if you take Gallant Inspiration, and Good Hope is one of the best all-round buffs in the game. Brilliant Inspiration might also be useful.

If you're into blasting, Deafening Song Blast is surprisingly potent, with its 9d10 Sonic damage - no save, no SR. It's almost like the Orb spells from 3.5. I still have no idea what its doing on the Bard list.

The Witch list has a few nice things too. Ill Omen in particular is quite good, a great spell to Quicken later on in a combo with save-or-die spells. And of course there's all the cleric stuff they share.

grarrrg
2012-09-09, 01:49 PM
First off, what level are you starting at?
What level are you expecting to finish the character/campaign?

Samsaran lets you add any Level spell to your list, so you have to balance what you want/need 'now', with what you might need later.

For the higher level stuff, you should peruse the Summoner Spell List (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/spell-lists---summoner).
Granted, most of the spells are already on the Wizard list, but a LOT of them are discounted 1 or 2 spell levels (a couple are even discounted 3!).
Granted, it is mostly Summoning/Buffing, but there are some good options, even some Druid-list type stuff.
A quick example, Summon Monster 7 is only a 5th level spell.

If you're into blasting, Deafening Song Bolt is surprisingly potent, with its 9d10 Sonic damage - no save, no SR. It's almost like the Orb spells from 3.5. I still have no idea what its doing on the Bard list.

It's flavored as a Song Bolt, and you have to 'sing' the 3 notes/attacks. It also requires a Ranged Touch attack. And while the damage is decent, Deafened is not the best of Status effects.

Blyte
2012-09-09, 02:02 PM
Resonating word is another good option from the bard list.

from 7th to 5th level. Good control + damage, and a fort save.. basically the 5 point palm exploding heart technique vs. squishies.

Corlindale
2012-09-09, 05:46 PM
It's flavored as a Song Bolt, and you have to 'sing' the 3 notes/attacks. It also requires a Ranged Touch attack. And while the damage is decent, Deafened is not the best of Status effects.

I know the fluff fits, it still seems odd that the Bard, of all classes, get what may be one of the best single-target blasting spell in the entire game (9d10 is the rough equivalent of 15d6 cap, touch attacks are easy to make, and it's both no SR and one of the best damage types in the game. Deafened is just gravy, not a huge part of its power).

Another spell from the bard list I forgot to mention is Arcane Concordance. It will let you and your sorceror buddy extend all your buffs for free, without needing either the feat or any pesky level adjustment. Very useful to cast before a buff routine starts.

Norix
2012-09-09, 06:37 PM
First off, thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry, I forgot the character level. We start fairly high at level 12. I don't know how long the campaign will last, but I expect to reach 9th level spells.

Deafening Song Bolt sounds really good for the offense and Arcane Concordance for buffing. Gallant Inspiration might suffer from spell-resistance (drow, serpentfolk), but so do almost all other buff-spells. Good Hope sadly is [mind-affecting], so no bonus for the serpentfolk assassin.

About the other spells. I wanted to use the trait to expand my options (spells), not to get a spell-level discount. That's why I'm limiting myself to non-wizard spells only.