PDA

View Full Version : Weapon and Armor Rules (3.5; PEACH)

Schylerwalker
2012-09-09, 02:16 PM
Note: I play a weird mix of 3.5, Pathfinder, and a few other D&D game systems.

Note: The DC for a saving throw against a weapon's effect is always the roll made to confirm that critical. For example, if you successfully confirm a critical hit against an opponent with a mace, with a 23 to hit, they would need to succeed on a DC 23 Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round.

Note: This is not supposed to be a comprehensive guide to how realistically weapons and armor should be used in D&D and similar systems. It is satisfactory to me, reasonably realistic in my opinion, and I thought you guys would like to see it. I know it's not as realistic as it could be, but the more realistic you try to make D&D, the more complicated and un-fun it is going to become.

Weapons

Chain: If a chain weapon scores a successful critical hit, the wielder can choose to make a free disarm attempt with a +4 cirumstance penalty in lieu of dealing regular damage.
Clumsy: A clumsy weapon's melee attacks are made with a -2 penalty to hit. A one-handed clumsy weapon can be wielded in two hands to negate this penalty (But does not count as a Two-Handed weapon). Clumsy weapons cannot be used to make attacks of opportunity from creatures moving through threatened squares.
Extra Fast: An extra fast weapon can make an additional melee attack as part of a full-round action at a -2 to hit, only using half your Strength modifier for the damage, and ANOTHER attack as part of the full-attack, at a -4 to hit, using none of your Strength modifier for the damage.
Fast: You can make an additional melee attack as part of a full-attack action with a fast weapon. This second attack suffers a -2 to hit, and only uses half your Strength modifier when calculating the damage result.
Oversized: An oversized weapon requires room to swing. There must be at least two empty squares adjacent to you. If there aren't any, your opponent receives a +4 to Armor Class against your attacks. If there is only one, they receive a +2. The DC to resist the effects of a critical hit from an oversized weapon is 2 higher.
Penetrating: A penetrating weapon ignores half of a target's shield bonus to Armor Class (Rounding down), and ignores the first point of damage reduction, regardless of what it would normally be ignored by and where it comes from (Unless it is DR/- or DR/epic).
Reach: Reach weapons double the natural reach of the creature wielding it. A reach weapon cannot strike adjacent creatures.
Rending: A rending weapon ignores the first point of any type of damage reduction, regardless of whether it comes from armor or a creature's natural ability (Unless it is DR/- or DR/epic). Rending weapons also deal double damage to shields and armor.
Small: A small weapon is highly easy to conceal, and grants a +4 on Sleight of Hand checks to hide it. Small weapons can be wielded in the off-hand at no penalty to hit, but the usual penalty to damage (Your main-hand weapon still suffers the same penalty to hit).
Very Small: A very small weapon is incredibly easy to hide, and grants a +8 on Sleight of Hand checks to hide it. If you wield a small weapon and a very small weapon, or two very small weapons, you suffer no penalty to hit for two weapon fighting.
Thrown: Thrown weapons suffer a -4 penalty to hit when used to make melee attacks. The maximum distance a thrown weapon can be tossed is three times its range increment, with a -4 to hit for every increment beyond the first.
Two-Handed: These weapons require two hands to wield, or the the wielder suffers a -4 to hit. Whenever a critical hit is scored with a two-handed weapon, the creature struck must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone (With a +4 size bonus for every size category above Medium, and a -4 size penalty for every size category below). Two-handed weapons deal 1.5 Strength modifier damage.

Bludgeoning: If a successful critical hit is scored with a bludgeoning weapon, the creature struck must make a Fortitude save or be dazed a number of rounds equal to the weapon's critical multiplier -1.
Piercing: If a successful critical hit is scored with a piercing weapon, the creature struck must make a Fortitude save or suffer X Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution damage, where X is the weapon's critical multiplier. Roll 1d3 to determine the ability score that receives the damage.
Slashing: If a successful critical hit is scored with a slashging weapon, the creature struck must make a Fortitude save or suffer X points of bleeding damage each round, where X is the weapon's critical hit multiplier.

Melee Weapons
Dagger: Extra Fast, Very Small, 1d4 piercing or 1d3 slashing, 19-20
Throwing Dagger: Small, Thrown, 1d6 ranged/1d3 melee piercing, 10 ft. range increment
Parrying Dagger: Small, 1d3 piercing, +1 AC
Short Sword: Fast, 1d6 piercing or 1d4 slashing, 19-20
Broad Sword: Clumsy, Fast, Rending, 1d8 slashing, 19-20
Long Sword: Fast OR Two-Handed, 1d10 slashing or 1d6 piercing 19-20
Great Sword: Oversized, Two-handed, 2d6 slashing or 1d8 piercing, 19-20
Dueling Sword: Extra Fast, 1d6 piercing or 1d2 slashing, 18-20
Curved Sword: Fast, 1d6 slashing or 1d4 piercing, 18-20
Hand Axe: Clumsy, Rending, Small, 1d6 slashing, x3
Throwing Axe: Clumsy, Rending, Thrown, 1d6 slashing, x3, 15 ft. range increment
Battle Axe: Clumsy, Rending, 2d4 slashing, x3
War Axe: Clumsy, Rending, Oversized, Two-Handed, 3d6 slashing, x3
Club: Small, 1d4 bludgeoning, 10 ft. range increment
War Club: 1d6 bludgeoning and 1 piercing
Mace: 1d8 bludgeoning and 1 piercing
Heavy Mace: Two-handed, 2d4 bludgeoning and 2 piercing
Warhammer: Rending, 2d4 bludgeoning, x3
Great Hammer: Clumsy, Oversized, Rending, Two-Handed, 2d8 bludgeoning, x3
Flail: Chain, 1d6 bludgeoning and 1d4 piercing
Great Flail: Chain, Clumsy, Oversized, Two-Handed, 1d8 bludgeoning and 1d4 piercing
Spear: 1d6 piercing or 1d3 bludgeoning
War Spear: Reach, Two-Handed, 1d8 piercing or 1d4 bludgeoning, x3
Javelin: Thrown, 1d8 piercing, 30 ft. range increment
Halberd: Reach, Rending, Oversized, Two-Handed, 1d4 bludgeoning or 1d6 piercing or 2d6 slashing, x3
Bardiche: Clumsy, Rending, Oversized, Reach, Two-Handed, 2d8 slashing, x4
Trident: 2d4 piercing, 10 ft. range increment

Ranged Weapons

Hunting Crossbow: 1d8 piercing, x3, move action to reload, 60 ft. range increment
Light Crossbow: 1d10 piercing, x3, full-round action to reload, 100 ft. range increment
Heavy Crossbow: Penetrating, 2d6 piercing, x3, 2 rounds to reload, 150 ft. range increment
Siege Crossbow: Penetrating, 3d6 piercing, x4, 4 rounds to reload, 300 ft. range increment
Hunting Bow: 1d6 piercing, 19-20, free action to reload, 40 ft. range increment
Short Bow: 1d8 piercing, 19-20, free action to reload, 80 ft. range increment
Long Bow: 1d10 piercing, 19-20, free action to reload, 120 ft. range increment
War Bow: 1d12 piercing, 18-20, free action to reload, 180 ft. range increment
Pistol: 2d6 ballistic, x3, 6 rounds reload, 20 ft. range increment (Max range 80 ft.)
Arquebus: 4d6 ballistic, x3, 15 rounds to reload, 40 ft. range increment (Max range 200 ft.)

Ammunition

Sheaf Arrow: Standard bow ammunition (Bows)
Flight Arrow: +10% range increment (Bows)
Barbed Arrow: +2 damage vs. unarmored (Bows)
Bodkin Arrow: Penetrating (Bows)
Iron Bolt: Standard crossbow ammunition (Crossbows)
Steel Bolt: +1 damage (Crossbows)

Suggestions and recommendations for new types of weapons and what the weapon should do in general is welcome!

Schylerwalker
2012-09-09, 02:17 PM
This Space Reserved For Armor and Shields

Note: Armor will be providing minor amounts of Damage Reduction against certain types of weapons.

Spiryt
2012-09-09, 02:25 PM
This is very interesting, though I can't tell on quick glance how balanced all those mechanics would be in 3.5 like game, compared to each other...

All I see is that piercing and bludgeoning weapons have no 'reward' for using higher critical multiplier, more critical hits is more desirable.

"Rending" also doesn't seem to be worth being "clumsy" at all, looking at it.

As far as ranged weapons go, there's no reason for bolts to not be barbed or bodkin as well.

Ziegander
2012-09-09, 02:33 PM
This is very interesting, though I can't tell on quick glance how balanced all those mechanics would be in 3.5 like game, compared to each other...

All I see is that piercing and bludgeoning weapons have no 'reward' for using higher critical multiplier, more critical hits is more desirable.

"Rending" also doesn't seem to be worth being "clumsy" at all, looking at it.

As far as ranged weapons go, there's no reason for bolts to not be barbed or bodkin as well.

+1 to all of the above.

I like the amount of thought that was put into this, and, with your permission of course, I might actually use a lot of these rules in my Codex of War. I've already been planning to homogenize and streamline a lot of the weapons, and to make critical hits a blanket "on-20-only" and "x2-only" thing, so these rules provide really interesting ways to still offer lots of diversity between weapons.

I'd love to see what you've got planned for Armor and Shields. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13732285&postcount=6) my own work on weapons/armor so far for the Codex (it is, admittedly, not much).

Schylerwalker
2012-09-09, 03:22 PM
+1 to all of the above.

I like the amount of thought that was put into this, and, with your permission of course, I might actually use a lot of these rules in my Codex of War. I've already been planning to homogenize and streamline a lot of the weapons, and to make critical hits a blanket "on-20-only" and "x2-only" thing, so these rules provide really interesting ways to still offer lots of diversity between weapons.

I'd love to see what you've got planned for Armor and Shields. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13732285&postcount=6) my own work on weapons/armor so far for the Codex (it is, admittedly, not much).

I'd be ecstatic if you used my stuff! As long as you credit me, of course. :smallamused:

Your stuff reminds me slightly of Races of War, on the D&D Wiki. Normally I don't like the D&D Wiki, because most of the articles are somewhat sloppy and not made to the level of professionalism I'm used to here, but it's a great read and well worth the time to go through the whole thing.

I'm not sure what I would do if I want to give Bludgeoning and Piercing weapons something special for a higher critical multiplier. Also, I'm not sure if I want to give Ballistics weapons a special thing if they crit. Probably something between Bludgeoning and Piercing.

Spiryt
2012-09-09, 03:53 PM
Amount of ability damage and duration of dazed could be just dependent on critical modifier.

Like ability damage of 1 x critical modifier.

Anyway, Piercing needs clarifying on which ability gets damaged - randomly rolled, chosen at will?

Seeing how some weapons are quite strictly superior to other (especially visible with bows), stating 'where's the trick' would be good too. :smallwink:

Crossbows doesn't look worth too, 2 rounds to reload is a pain even if it's more realistic than most rules out there.

Schylerwalker
2012-09-09, 04:00 PM
Amount of ability damage and duration of dazed could be just dependent on critical modifier.

Like ability damage of 1 x critical modifier.

Anyway, Piercing needs clarifying on which ability gets damaged - randomly rolled, chosen at will?

Seeing how some weapons are quite strictly superior to other (especially visible with bows), stating 'where's the trick' would be good too. :smallwink:

Crossbows doesn't look worth too, 2 rounds to reload is a pain even if it's more realistic than most rules out there.

I've been thinking pretty heavily about crossbows. I've been thinking about letting them ignore half of a target's armor and natural armor bonus to armor class at Point Blank range, or maybe even resolving as a touch attack when you're that close. Oh, and Rapid Reload would simply halve the time that it would take to reload these crossbows.

How do you like the slightly revised critical damage types?