PDA

View Full Version : Bard With out Bard levels with 9th level spells

Vashta
2012-09-09, 02:47 PM
So I have a build in mind. I want to be a bard like character but i don't want to take any levels in bard.

Does this work:

Duskblade1/Human Paragon3/Duskblade5/Spellsong1(1/8 elf blood is required for this class might be hard to justify the human paragon)/Sub-chord1/Incantrix9

The Spellsong gives bardic music and sublime cord allows access to bard and wizard spells. Human paragon is for the class skill(perform).

What do you think? Good or retarded.

Urpriest
2012-09-09, 03:11 PM
Spellsinger stacks with previous Bardic Music, that's not necessarily the same as granting Bardic Music.

What's your goal here? You have very little Bardic Music, so this is less a "Bard without Bard" and more "Sublime Chord on a Duskblade chassis", which is not a bad goal itself, but isn't the same goal.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-09, 04:12 PM
Why no bard levels? Bard/Sublime Chord does exactly this. Much easier, much closer to what you want, and much more powerful.

Or, if you absolutely insist, Bard/Sublime Chord/Incantatrix. But only if you are going to be abusing Metamagic.

theUnearther
2012-09-09, 05:01 PM
Just wanted to point out...

1/8 elf blood is required for this class might be hard to justify the human paragon
...that that's not true at all. Half-elves can take levels in human paragon just fine. In fact, you could take both half-elf paragon and human paragon (or half-elf and elf, but not all three).
No, I have no idea why you would want to, but the option is there.

Also, you should probably switch Duskblade 1 with Human Paragon 1. It will give you far better skills, and the first level does not advance casting anyways.

Coidzor
2012-09-09, 05:33 PM
Well, I think you can also do a Wizard 57/HeartFire Fanner(Dragon Magazine) 1-5/Virtuoso X and lose one level of wizard casting in exchange for having bardic music which a vest of legends would clear up.

With some minor reworking, Warrior Skald(Faerun book, forget the title) will also make a warrior-type into a bard.

God Imperror
2012-09-09, 05:55 PM
So I have a build in mind. I want to be a bard like character but i don't want to take any levels in bard.

Does this work:

Duskblade1/Human Paragon3/Duskblade5/Spellsong1(1/8 elf blood is required for this class might be hard to justify the human paragon)/Sub-chord1/Incantrix9

The Spellsong gives bardic music and sublime cord allows access to bard and wizard spells. Human paragon is for the class skill(perform).

What do you think? Good or retarded.

Few points against it, first it doesn't have typical bard skills, nor bardic music progression, nor class features of the bard.

Second point it has access to 4, 5 or 6 bard level spells, though not to any other bard level.

Third spellsinger doesn't grant bardic music, it progressess bardic music so it doesn't work.

What is the point of this? Duskblade fits a role (melee bruiser), incantatrix fits another one (arcane master), neither of them really benefit from the other. Not taking into account that bards are skill monkeys, party faces or buffers.

Just wanted to point out...

...that that's not true at all. Half-elves can take levels in human paragon just fine. In fact, you could take both half-elf paragon and human paragon (or half-elf and elf, but not all three).
No, I have no idea why you would want to, but the option is there.

Also, you should probably switch Duskblade 1 with Human Paragon 1. It will give you far better skills, and the first level does not advance casting anyways.

No, a half elf can take levels in human paragon as long as he took first a level in half elf, it cannot directly jump into human paragon.

Additionally the character is not half elf it is human, though it has some traces of elvish blood (its grandpa was a half elf).

Well, I think you can also do a Wizard 5/HeartFire Fanner(Dragon Magazine) 1-5/Virtuoso X and lose one level of wizard casting in exchange for having bardic music which a vest of legends would clear up.

With some minor reworking, Warrior Skald(Faerun book, forget the title) will also make a warrior-type into a bard.

Heartfire fanner requires 10 ranks in skills so it cannot be taken before level 7, other than that is kosher. Warrior Skald is also from races of faerun, it doesn't progress spellcasting though.

gorfnab
2012-09-09, 11:00 PM
Beguiler 7/ Heartfire Fanner 3/ Virtuoso 10 - take the Apprentice Entertainer feat at first level to gain perform as a class skill.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-09, 11:01 PM
Well, I think you can also do a Wizard 5/HeartFire Fanner(Dragon Magazine) 1-5/Virtuoso X and lose one level of wizard casting in exchange for having bardic music which a vest of legends would clear up.

Thirding this, far easier solution.

Answerer
2012-09-09, 11:07 PM
Also, no need for Human Paragon when a simple feat can get you Perform in-class. Apprentice (Entertainer) is probably easiest.

Vashta
2012-09-10, 09:02 AM
Well thanks for the advise.

I really thought spellsinger's bardic music worked differently.

I'm just going to go with simple bard10/sublime chord10.

worldeater47
2012-09-10, 09:10 AM
If you are still looking why not take a look at the zinc saucier 2 entries since this is exactly what they were trying to do.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229736

Coidzor
2012-09-10, 01:56 PM
Well thanks for the advise.

I really thought spellsinger's bardic music worked differently.

I'm just going to go with simple bard10/sublime chord10.

You'll probably enjoy a level of Virtuoso instead of one of the bard levels and then 8 more levels of Virtuoso rather than the last 8 of Sublime Chord.

gorfnab
2012-09-10, 05:37 PM
You'll probably enjoy a level of Virtuoso instead of one of the bard levels and then 8 more levels of Virtuoso rather than the last 8 of Sublime Chord.
Usually what I recommend is Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8

Urpriest
2012-09-10, 09:54 PM
Also, no need for Human Paragon when a simple feat can get you Perform in-class. Apprentice (Entertainer) is probably easiest.

Easiest is using BoEF, but that has other consequences...