PDA

View Full Version : OA Shapeshifter Wild Shape HD Cap

Venger
2012-09-09, 04:08 PM
In oriental adventures, the shapeshifter PrC says you gain the druid wild shape ability. however, it doesn't specify what you use for the HD cap. I don't think you get druid's wild shape at 5 at shapeshifter 1. Do you use your shapeshifter level as your druid level? Are you stuck turning into small/med 1hd animals at the first level of shapeshifter?

eggs
2012-09-09, 04:09 PM
I don't think 3.0 Wild Shape had the HD cap.
The Dragon magazine 3.5 update capped it at character level.

Venger
2012-09-09, 04:11 PM
I don't think 3.0 Wild Shape had the HD cap.
The Dragon magazine 3.5 update capped it at character level.

huh? so if I'm xx 12/shapeshifter 1, I wild shape with 13 effective druid HD?

eggs
2012-09-09, 04:13 PM
huh? so if I'm xx 12/shapeshifter 1, I wild shape with 13 effective druid HD?
Right.
It's either a really slick dip or fairly abusable, depending on where you draw the line.

EDIT: That's only in terms of HD. The size categories don't raise without class features that say so.

Venger
2012-09-09, 04:17 PM
Right.
It's either a really slick dip or fairly abusive, depending on where you draw the line.

EDIT: That's only in terms of HD. The size categories don't raise without class features that say so.

Nope, I'm aware of that. I'm only using shapeshifter to obtain wild shape to get into MoMF, which unlocks different size categories much more quickly. Could you point me to where this rules update comes from?

eggs
2012-09-09, 04:22 PM
Sure.

Dragon Magazine 318, an article by James Wyatt:
"... The shapeshifter gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 3rd level, a Tiny animal at 5th level, and a Huge animal at 9th level. The new form's HD can't exceed the Shapeshifter's character level."

Venger
2012-09-09, 05:02 PM
Sure.

Dragon Magazine 318, an article by James Wyatt:
"... The shapeshifter gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 3rd level, a Tiny animal at 5th level, and a Huge animal at 9th level. The new form's HD can't exceed the Shapeshifter's character level."

great, thanks a lot. :)