PDA

View Full Version : More splash weapons? (D&D 3.5)

Fates
2012-09-09, 06:23 PM
Greetings, Children of the Playground!

I am DMing a low-magic, renaissance-based game, in which the players, all of which are neutral on the G/E axis, have taken to piracy. I intend for their next target to be something of a surprise. Grekovich, a halfling alchemist (expert/rogue/wizard) with whom the party clashed long ago when attempting to rob his shop, will be on the run from the powerful monotheistic church that teaches that magic is unholy. The objective of the campaign is to bring down this church, but that won't be for a long time now. Thus, I expect the party will probably end up making friends with him, after a brief confrontation.

Anyway, anecdotes aside, I plan to have Grekovich focus on two-weapon fighting with alchemist's fire. However, I find that to be a bit dull and somewhat weak. Does anyone know any other splash weapons he could use? Third party and homebrew are fine by me.

If nobody can find anything, I can always come up with some things myself, but I'd like to see what's out there.

Ziegander
2012-09-09, 06:27 PM
I plan to have Grekovich focus on two-weapon fighting with alchemist's fire. However, I find that to be a bit dull and somewhat weak. Does anyone know any other splash weapons he could use? Third party and homebrew are fine by me.

You know that alchemist's fire and other splash weapons trigger Sneak Attack damage right? It's usually not regarded as weak, is the reason I ask (deals elemental sneak attack with a ranged touch attack). Anyway, you can always switch to Tanglefoot Bags, Acid Flasks (pretty solid), and I know there are Cold and Electricity damaging versions of the fire flasks. (I just don't know what they were printed in).

Realms of Chaos also created tons of additional alchemical items HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212714). Maybe some of those will prove useful to you.

eggs
2012-09-09, 06:34 PM
Eberron Campaign setting has a couple variant energy Alchemist's X weapons. Oriental Adventures has Eggshell grenades, which are splash blindness attacks (also maybe OP).

There are a few others scattered about (check the Complete MacGuyver thread), but those seem to come up most often.

Fates
2012-09-09, 06:39 PM
Thank you both. I did know about sneak attack, and looking again, I realize that alchemist's fire is actually pretty good. Still, I'm looking for more flavorful alchemical weapons. I'll check out what you've shown me.

eggs
2012-09-09, 06:41 PM
I'm just going to link to the thread I mentioned. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0) I forgot how much was in there.

Gerrtt
2012-09-09, 06:56 PM
Holy Water, though if you're at odds with a theocracy you may have a hard time getting your hands on it.

Agent 451
2012-09-09, 08:03 PM
There's firetears from the Life-Shaping Handbook, for 3.5 Dark Sun. They're a 3d6 version of alchemists fire with 1d6 splash damage and 1d6 residual damage the next turn for the original target.

(Whether this is falls under being Wotc, 3rd party, or homebrew I couldn't say since Athas.org exists in some weird other dimension of co-ownership)

Duboris
2012-09-09, 08:08 PM
Could always try throwing some thunderstone.

Gadora
2012-09-10, 12:23 AM
I just (re)discovered venomous fire from the yuan-ti entry in Fiend Folio. It's quite simply alchemist's fire mixed with yuan-ti venom and the poison "enter[s] the body through the wounds from the fire." Those caught in the splash get a bonus to their saves, but you know how alchemist's fire sets the primary target on fire for a round? Yeah, that inflicts a second dose of poison, if it's not put out. It's a con poison, so it may be a little nastier than you want.

Regardless, you might possibly be interested in taking it as a base and creating variants using different types of poison.

Volthawk
2012-09-10, 05:30 AM
The Planar Handbook has a few splash weapons - anarchic and axiomatic water (holy water, but instead targets lawful/chaotic outsiders) and red tidewater which blinds instead of dealing damage. Also, the Arms and Equipment Guide has a fair few splash weapons too, like the Defoliator (like holy water, but works on plants - both plant creatures and normal plants) and the Sparkstone (electric splash weapon).