PDA

View Full Version : How to obtain extra skill points?

Yajirobe
2012-09-09, 06:40 PM
Hey folks

Here's the deal, one of my friends would like some extra skill points, but a flat sum, not an advance on skill points per level, so INT wouldnt be a solution.

Any way to get this? Something like the attribute tome, but for skills?

God Imperror
2012-09-09, 06:42 PM
There is a feat that grants 5 skill points

Flickerdart
2012-09-09, 06:42 PM
The feat Open Minded from the XPH/SRD gives you 5 skill points up front with no strings attached. The exalted feat Nymph's Kiss from BoED gives you an extra one per level.

killianh
2012-09-09, 06:47 PM
Being human grants extras per level, and other races usually grant bonuses to some skills as well. The feats mentioned are the only one's I can think of.

As for general extra points: factotum and beguiler are probably the best classes for gaining points (both INT based with a ton of points and point boosters). after that its usually just items that grant points to certain skills

HunterOfJello
2012-09-09, 06:56 PM
Most people use Nymph's Kiss or, more rarely, Open Minded.

Human Heritage from RoD gives 4 skill points to a Half-Elf or Half-Orc.

There is also the two feat combination Favored + Primary Contact which gives you +1 rank in a skill of your choice. It happens to be the only way in the game to break the maximum ranks per level rule. It could potentially be used in a build to enter a PrC or get a feat faster, but I've never seen it in one.

~

Answers that do not answer your question but give similar results are the feats:

Able Learner from RoD gives you all skills in-class so that all skills only cost 1 point.

Shape Soulmeld from MoI gives you access to a single soulmeld and a large bonus to many different skills, depending on which soulmeld you choose. It is often far superior to Skill Focus. Whenever you consider taking Skill Focus, check Shape Soulmeld first. Ex: Skill Focus(UMD) can give you +3 to UMD, Shape Soulmled (Mage's Spectacles) gives you +4 to UMD,Decipher Script, and Spellcraft (and lets you use them untrained). Shape Soulmeld (Kruthik Claws) even gives you +4 to Hide and Move Silently.

~

There's also the option of getting a Wizard to polymorph him into a Human, Sea Kin, or Underfolk who all get a humans bonus skill points at 1st level and every level thereafter. Another option is to get polymorphed into a race with a +Int bonus like the Deep Imaskari, Fire Elf, Lesser Drow, or Gray Elf.

Yajirobe
2012-09-09, 06:57 PM
I completely forgot about Open Minded!

But now I have plenty of options for him! Thanks a lot guys!

Fates
2012-09-09, 11:20 PM
In skill-focused campaigns, I like to start out with a level in rogue, for the immense number of skill points. Besides that, you can use all the stuff listed here. I remember there being a feat that gives 1 extra skill point/level besides Nymph's kiss, and would therefore stack with it, but I can't remember where it was.

Sorry I can't be more of a help, I'm rather tired.:smallfrown: