PDA

View Full Version : need good gish build

morkendi
2012-09-09, 07:51 PM
Party is 8th lvl. Point buy is a little different. All scores base 10 with 22 points to spend 1 for 1. This means spend 8 to get 18. Max for 1st is 18 before racial mods. All wizard of the coast books and no la or template. Thinking pally from ua and sorcerer or diviner/ psy war/ cerebromancer though that would hurt bab some. The right powers could change that. Also, it would be stat intensive. Would need precocious apprentice to get in early.

eggs
2012-09-09, 08:01 PM
Unless you have something really clever backing the Psywar build up, it sounds pretty ineffective. At least compared to either a straight wizard or cerebremancer built for the same job.

morkendi
2012-09-09, 08:18 PM
I know there are stuff that allows touch attack through weapon. Psy war can boost bab and such as well as powers like prevenom weapon. Add to that shivering touch. Each time he hit, it would keep getting easier and easier. Diviner variant from ua would let me add int mod to hit once per day per 5 lvls. Inertial armor is augmentable where mage armor is not. Just brainstorming. I need the bonus feats for what i want to do. I want spike chain, cast spell and use the reach from the chain to deliver with aoo. Doable with fighter, but psy war would give more. Could go psy war/ diviner/ spellsword or arcane war or something?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-09, 08:30 PM
By level 8'a standard Sorcadin built is starting to function as a gish, a Suel Arcanamach might also work well. It depends if you more martial power or casting.

OTOH Pure psychic warrior is also a perfectly usable right out of the box and it has some pretty good options too if you want to diversify (King of Smack for size shenanigans and natural attacks, Slayer for a BAB and skillpoint boosts or Tashalastora for an unarmed build).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 08:37 PM
If you're going to combine Paladin and Sorcerer, the standard build goes Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8 in that order. You'll want Arcane Preparation and a good alignment to allow you to cast sanctified spells like (Greater) Luminous Armor from BoED, which is the only abjuration spell that grants an armor bonus so it benefits from Abjurant Champion. Get Practiced Spellcaster (CD), Power Attack, Arcane Strike (CW), and Minor Shapeshift (CM). Use Illumian for your race (RoD) with the Naenhoon runeword, and pick up Extend Spell and Persistent Spell (CA) to spend your Sacred Exorcist turn undead uses to make two of your spells last all day (Wraithstrike, Shield, Bladeweave, Displacement, Ray Deflection, Greater Mirror Image, and Draconic Polymorph are all strong choices). Pick up Ancestral Relic (BoED) to make it a custom Runestaff (MIC) per most of my suggestions posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255316#5).

If you want the strongest gish build possible, go Human or Elf Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) 1/ Fighter or Crusader 1/ Wizard 2/ Human or Elf Paragon 2/ Spellsword 1/ Incantatrix 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Eldritch Knight 4, with Practiced Spellcaster, Power Attack, Arcane Strike, Minor Shapeshift, Extend/Persist Spell, and use the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it. Get Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) at 3rd and invest every skill point you gain after that for the greatest return, and put the max bonus toward Spellcraft so you can always succeed on your Incantatrix abilities by taking ten on the checks. You can use Metamagic Effect and Cooperative Metamagic to Persist your own buffs, which there's a lot of. You can Cooperative Metamagic your own spells outside of combat, since action types only exist during initiative.

hex0
2012-09-09, 08:49 PM
Or play a Duskblade?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-09, 08:52 PM
Or play a Duskblade?

The sadly limited spell-list, harms they as a Gish (in the warrior who augments himself with magic way), though they are by no means unplayable.

hex0
2012-09-09, 09:13 PM
The sadly limited spell-list, harms they as a Gish (in the warrior who augments himself with magic way), though they are by no means unplayable.

I just like the lack of 'lag' in that they are full BAB all the way through. Sorcadin is probably the best way to go though.

There is also Wizard/Warblade/JPM as well. Heck even a Daggerspell Mage can be decent.

Snowbluff
2012-09-09, 09:15 PM
Swiftblade plug.

Martial Wizard Variant (Fighter feats instead of bonus feats and scribe scroll).

Wiz6/Sb2 at level 8. The class scales with level, which is cool. You'll lose some CL, but if you are good, you have access to Luminous Armor.