PDA

View Full Version : 1 on 1 duel between fighter and rogue

Mushroom312
2012-09-09, 08:39 PM
So I am dueling another character (no real story context to mention) that has taken a level in rogue and beguiler. I happen to be a warforged/cog 2 level fighter, and the individual playing the rogue claims he can bring my hitpoints to 0 in less than 3 turns without taking any damage. He also is my DM, so he probably has figured out ways to stick it to my character that I don't even know. He has provided all the info about my character that I should need for the fight as he is in possession of my character sheet, and emailed me the images for his sheet at http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/mushroom312/PsyPage3.jpg
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/mushroom312/PsyPage2.jpg
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/mushroom312/PsyPage1.jpg
My character uses a homebrew fighter build, I do not remember the author's name, but I am hoping one of you can recognize it: 24 hitpoints
20 ft spd
no initiative modifier
+6 att bonus masterwork greatsword (2d6+6)
+6 att bonus masterwork spike chain (2d4+6) reach
grapple check +6
2 DR from racial bonus, adamantium armor, heavy armor
18 AC, no dex modifier
saving throws 4 fortitude|reflex 0|will 1
quick draw - free action
power attack feat
5 ranks in athletics (jump climb swim),ride, perception (listen hear search)
8 mastery points (this was part of the homebrew)
+1d6 damage and +2 to hit if no damage was taken from target last turn (
Ability that causes enemies to focus on me
Ability -5 to hit, but -1 to fear checks, dmg, and attack rolls.

The area we are fighting in is simply a stone rectangular prism.
I am not new to 3.5, but I do not know much either. If anyone could help me form a strategy to beat him I would be very greatful. Also, this is only the second time I have posted, so please let me know if I am doing something wrong (though I did read the rules). Oh, and if you need any more info, please let me know.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 08:43 PM
He'll probably use Color Spray to knock your character unconscious. Your only hope is to win initiative, charge, and sunder his spell component pouch.

Mushroom312
2012-09-09, 08:45 PM
Your only hope is to win initiative, charge, and sunder his spell component pouch.
So what would be the best way to sunder (by that you mean destroy/render useless?) his spell component pouch?

juicycaboose
2012-09-09, 09:40 PM
So what would be the best way to sunder (by that you mean destroy/render useless?) his spell component pouch?

Sunder is a special attack action like Disarm or Trip in that you make an attack against an object in an attempt to break it.
In which case charge at him and swing with all your might at that little pouch (maybe not all your might, it might be hard to hit)

Fates
2012-09-09, 09:47 PM
Sunder is a special move in combat, found in the PHB. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. Here's a link to how it works. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#sunder)

Knaight
2012-09-09, 09:50 PM
He'll probably use Color Spray to knock your character unconscious. Your only hope is to win initiative, charge, and sunder his spell component pouch.

This probably won't work. It assumes that he has one spell component pouch, which is extremely sloppy.

Seerow
2012-09-09, 09:53 PM
This probably won't work. It assumes that he has one spell component pouch, which is extremely sloppy.

The character sheet is posted. Only one spell component pouch, sunder works fine.

As an aside: I see the DM is using traits/flaws, I recommend taking full advantage of that for yourself.

Fates
2012-09-09, 10:09 PM
Indeed. You could take the shaky flaw (-4 on ranged attacks) to get improved initiative. You could also take the aggressive trait (+2 on initiative, -1 to AC). Suddenly, that +0 to initiative becomes +6, which is better than his.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-09, 10:21 PM
Indeed. You could take the shaky flaw (-4 on ranged attacks) to get improved initiative. You could also take the aggressive trait (+2 on initiative, -1 to AC). Suddenly, that +0 to initiative becomes +6, which is better than his.

If he's taking flaws anyways, maybe sack his first level fighter feat in exchange for the first Warforged substitution level (Races of Eberron)? A feat in exchange for +3 initiative/saves versus fear and 2 hit points (d12 as opposed to d10) seems pretty fair.

It'd also turn that +6 into a +9.

Twilightwyrm
2012-09-09, 10:55 PM
Well first of all, he is using the incorrect damage for a masterwork spear. Unless otherwise noted, the spear is assumed to be medium size, NOT sized appropriate for a large creature, which is what would give it its 2d6. Furthermore, it would seem your DM is being unnecessarily unscrupulous. As you will no doubt note, he is using Jotun as his race, (which I can only assume is a home brewed class, as last I checked such a race does not exist in core D&D) which is where he is getting most of his actual damage, as well as an increase in size (which also means an increase in reach), and conversely you are a human. Now don't get me wrong, human is a great race, but at low levels higher stats make all the difference, which means he is essentially using a home brewed race to try and be an equal fighter to you. Why he is insisting on doing this is beyond me. What really galls me here, however, is that your DM doesn't even need to do this. A human beguiler with an average STR, the Sleep/Color Spray spell, a decent Charisma and a Scythe, is perfectly capable of crippling and killing your average fighter in 2 rounds, maybe 3 if the fighter survived the first coup de graces. (Assuming they win initiative). Basically speaking, your DM seems to be going to an anomalously large effort to both ape a fighter, while also trying to win with save-or-suck effects.
Second, as echoed here, you will want to win initiative. Note, how I don't say have to. The reason for this is because, it would seem, your DM isn't doing the whole boosting DC thing, and this you can resist Color Spray, Sleep, or any of those other pesky Save-or-Suck effects with any role of the dice at/above 13 (since Beguiler DCs are determined by Charisma, and NOT Intelligence as your DM's character sheet would seem to believe). So, even if you don't make initiative, you aren't necessarily dead.
Third, this will largely depend on whether you can build your own character. If you are using that build, go ahead and try and charging sunder strategy. It will throw your DM for a bit of a loop if nothing else. Or alternatively, just power attack charge him. Remember, your greatsword deals 2d6+6 damage, with an extra +4 if you power attack for 2 (which is the charging bonus so you might as well) meaning you still hit him on an 8 or higher. Minimum damage will be 13 (6 from base damage, 4 from power attack, and a minimum of 3 for 3d6), only one shy of disabling him, meaning if you roll anything higher than a 3 for damage, (the average for a greatsword is 7, 10.5 with your extra d6) than you either disable or knock him into negatives (since unless he actually "hits" you first, you deal an extra 1d6 damage). Always remember that enough damage on an attack is indeed better than any save-or-die/suck spell/effect on the same enemy, since saves and attack bonuses automatically scale with level, while DC and Armor class do not.

Note: If you do have time to alter this build before the fight, swap quick draw for Improved Initiative. I'm actually partial to quick draw myself, so props for picking it, but in this fight, you can just draw your weapon as part of your move action when you charge, and improved initiative is far better for one on one fights.

Post Note: The often overlooked utility of quick draw comes from the ability to rapidly change weapons (principally between melee and ranged), quickly retrieve items from your person (to, for example, full attack with alchemist's fire), get quicker access to potions, etc. during a fight. None of which will be of particular use to you here.

Heliomance
2012-09-09, 11:14 PM
I believe Jotun is a Faerunian race, I'm not certain but I know I've heard of it before. And a large sized creature (or one with Powerful Build) would use a large sized spear. Really not sure what your problem with that is.

Fates
2012-09-09, 11:23 PM
He means that the spear itself would be medium-sized, not that it would be a spear made for a medium-sized character. I will consult the table.

Averis Vol
2012-09-09, 11:30 PM
Jotunbrud is a feat from fearun I believe but nothing more then that, it increases your grapple check as if you were a large creature, as for an actual race, no it does not exist. as for how to beat him.....well yea run in, trip him with your chain and proceed to beat his face in. If he survives the first trip he provokes another one for standing up so you get to hit him again.

honestly, theres a reason its melees best trick, it works wonders.

EDIT: he also has chainshirt ac wrong, its set at +5 for masterwork on his sheet.
EDIT2: he also has his BaB at 1, and as far as I know both beguiler and rogue have 3/4 bab so his is 0.

Blueiji
2012-09-09, 11:33 PM
Well first of all, he is using the incorrect damage for a masterwork spear. Unless otherwise noted, the spear is assumed to be medium size, NOT sized appropriate for a large creature, which is what would give it its 2d6. Furthermore, it would seem your DM is being unnecessarily unscrupulous. As you will no doubt note, he is using Jotun as his race, (which I can only assume is a home brewed class, as last I checked such a race does not exist in core D&D) which is where he is getting most of his actual damage, as well as an increase in size (which also means an increase in reach), and conversely you are a human. Now don't get me wrong, human is a great race, but at low levels higher stats make all the difference, which means he is essentially using a home brewed race to try and be an equal fighter to you. Why he is insisting on doing this is beyond me. What really galls me here, however, is that your DM doesn't even need to do this. A human beguiler with an average STR, the Sleep/Color Spray spell, a decent Charisma and a Scythe, is perfectly capable of crippling and killing your average fighter in 2 rounds, maybe 3 if the fighter survived the first coup de graces. (Assuming they win initiative). Basically speaking, your DM seems to be going to an anomalously large effort to both ape a fighter, while also trying to win with save-or-suck effects.
Second, as echoed here, you will want to win initiative. Note, how I don't say have to. The reason for this is because, it would seem, your DM isn't doing the whole boosting DC thing, and this you can resist Color Spray, Sleep, or any of those other pesky Save-or-Suck effects with any role of the dice at/above 13 (since Beguiler DCs are determined by Charisma, and NOT Intelligence as your DM's character sheet would seem to believe).

I believe that they are using these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141597) races.

Since the "Jotun" has an ability quite similar to the "powerful build" ability of the Goliath, that probably explains the large sized spear.

Not to be a rules laywer, but Beguilers do use INT for their saving throws, and for calculating whether they can cast spells, etc. They typically boost CHA however, for the social skills, but not because they rely on it for casting.

Averis Vol
2012-09-09, 11:38 PM
Not to be a rules laywer, but Beguilers do use INT for their saving throws, and for calculating whether they can cast spells, etc. They typically boost CHA however, for the social skills, but not because they rely on it for casting.

yea, its why tis considered a better pairing to get into ultimate magus then sorcerer.

Fates
2012-09-09, 11:43 PM
I believe that they are using these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141597) races.

Since the "Jotun" has an ability quite similar to the "powerful build" ability of the Goliath, that probably explains the large sized spear.

That is a hideously overpowered race.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-09, 11:53 PM
That is a hideously overpowered race.

Not for the setting. I'm familiar with Gnorman's work, and he tends towards a +2 overall stat modifier in addition to other goodies. Now, using one of them side by die with vanilla dnd 3.5e races? Well, thats just asking for trouble.

Blueiji
2012-09-10, 01:05 AM
Not for the setting. I'm familiar with Gnorman's work, and he tends towards a +2 overall stat modifier in addition to other goodies. Now, using one of them side by die with vanilla dnd 3.5e races? Well, thats just asking for trouble.

I don't think the DM is using The Jotun next to a vanilla race, the original poster called himself a "Cog" which is another race from that setting.

Twilightwyrm
2012-09-11, 05:59 PM

Wow, you're right, not sure where I got Charisma from. Go figure.

And that seems like a rather...interesting race. Even so, the strength and constitution bonus, combined with the large build seems unnecessary if you are just trying to prove a beguiler can beat a fighter, and from the way he's distributed states, it would seem he's not trying to have the class win on its own merits, but rather by creating an ad hoc fighter that is using beguiler abilities. It is both disingenuous and completely unnecessary.