PDA

View Full Version : Cleric question.

Risiez
2012-09-10, 01:32 AM
I was wondering, if a cleric can be the cleric of a cause, could an evil or neutral cleric devote himself to like the spreading of a deadly sin, like greed or something along those lines?

Medic!
2012-09-10, 01:32 AM
Sure, why not?

Risiez
2012-09-10, 01:35 AM
Thanks. Just wondering because I'm making a new character for a campaign and i wanted to try somethin new.

Medic!
2012-09-10, 01:37 AM
It's actually a great idea for a non-deity cleric, because it gives you some focus as opposed to "serving good/evil" in general. It also opens up some great themes for gear later on.

Risiez
2012-09-10, 01:46 AM
Heh, a big gold coin as a holy symbol.

Medic!
2012-09-10, 01:56 AM
It also gives you a great reason to use spells like Entice Gift from BoVD :smallbiggrin:

Risiez
2012-09-10, 02:06 AM
Heheh that's a good idea. Kleptomania Domain.

Kyberwulf
2012-09-10, 02:17 AM
Here is another qustion. Can a Cleric worship himself as a god? How would that work.

Risiez
2012-09-10, 02:19 AM
Youd have to maka a new stat: Arrogance.

Andreaz
2012-09-10, 06:43 AM
Here is another qustion. Can a Cleric worship himself as a god? How would that work.Most d&d-esque games I know have at least one god who is also a cleric of himself. That's not what empowers their clericness though: They need to be able to empower clerics in the first place (the whole godhood thing).

In some settings sufficient worship is 90% of what makes anything a deity, but they don't grant powers until they cross that "you are a god now" line.

Talon Sky
2012-09-10, 11:39 AM
Here is another qustion. Can a Cleric worship himself as a god? How would that work.

I recently played in a game where the cleric did indeed worship himself as a god. He was mentally unstable, and honestly believed he was a god. It was the sheer belief that made my DM say okay. If it were just a PC being arrogant or trying to scam the world, there wouldn't have been any divine power to it.

Ranting Fool
2012-09-10, 11:51 AM
I do have a whole host of clerics in my campaign that worship their "Maker" as a God/Aspect of the God of Magic...They are all Clones of a Rather insane Human Wizard who made a demi plane full of clones of himself, as well as Goblin versions of him (with his face and voice), Giant versions, Ogre versions, and female versions... which have did breed with the other clones... the PC's have not seen what one of these clone decedents look like as they go around wrapped up in bandages (as they lived close to a rift into a fiery hell and claim to be burned, though this has never been tested.)

But back to the original question. Yes Clerics don't have to worship a God and I often have them worship an ideal or concept (as long as you have a strong idea of whats what and the Domains make sense most people wouldn't have a problem with it :smallbiggrin:)

Devils_Advocate
2012-09-12, 05:58 AM
I was wondering, if a cleric can be the cleric of a cause, could an evil or neutral cleric devote himself to like the spreading of a deadly sin, like greed or something along those lines?
Preach the Rules of Acquisition to the unenlightened!

For a price, of course.

Kleptomania Domain.
There's an actual Greed domain. Also, Commerce and Trade.