PDA

View Full Version : Urban based Prc's?

silverwolfer
2012-09-10, 03:26 AM
I have found urban savant, and urban soul, was wondering if any other decent city based prcs, mostly in mind would be a hobo like character of epic abilities ;).

Cityscape varient ranger/druids are already taken into account.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-10, 03:49 AM
A large amount of roguish prestige classes (e.g. Thief Acrobat, Spymaster, etc)
Drunken Master

Zerter
2012-09-10, 04:01 AM
I think that covers them all. Or maybe I do not and just want to make a off-topic remark and need some filler.

You're a hero Dictum Mortuum! If real life was D&D you would be the optimization deity.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-10, 04:12 AM
I think that covers them all. Or maybe I do not and just want to make a off-topic remark and need some filler.

You're a hero Dictum Mortuum! If real life was D&D you would be the optimization deity.

:D
Thank you very much, appreciated! Let's not take over the thread though!

Malak'ai
2012-09-10, 04:52 AM
The Vigilante and the Bloodhound are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Killer Angel
2012-09-10, 05:10 AM
Eberron's Master Inquisitive is also urban related.

Diovid
2012-09-10, 11:23 AM
Basically you'll want to look through Cityscape, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, Races of Destiny and maybe Complete Warrior. There might be some more in setting-specific books.

silverwolfer
2012-09-10, 12:22 PM
intresting how everyone thinks of bounty hunters and theives haha

LTwerewolf
2012-09-10, 12:26 PM
justicar can be urbanly.

silverwolfer
2012-09-10, 12:37 PM
Which of theses speak out to you as being

a hobo

LTwerewolf
2012-09-10, 12:39 PM
drunken master all the way for a hobo

vartan
2012-09-10, 01:11 PM
Watch Detective. MoW.

Garagos
2012-09-10, 01:22 PM
I believe there is a ranger variant called Urban Ranger. I forget which book though.

Person_Man
2012-09-10, 02:02 PM
I think that in general, Urban classes, PrC, and alternate class features are written to be so hyper specific that they're unusable for anyone except NPCs.

Is it really worth taking a level of something for abilities like Crowd-Walker, Roof-Walker, Urban Sustenance, Favored Organization, Smite the Guilty, etc? It's a much smarter strategy to seek out general abilities which are also useful in urban areas, like flight, Charm, tremorsense, etc.

HunterColt22
2012-09-10, 02:46 PM
I think that in general, Urban classes, PrC, and alternate class features are written to be so hyper specific that they're unusable for anyone except NPCs.

Is it really worth taking a level of something for abilities like Crowd-Walker, Roof-Walker, Urban Sustenance, Favored Organization, Smite the Guilty, etc? It's a much smarter strategy to seek out general abilities which are also useful in urban areas, like flight, Charm, tremorsense, etc.

While I would agree mostly, Urban Savant adds a lot of diversity even outside of an urban environment. Just because of its skill list, and the abilities it gains that deal with knowledge translating into bonuses on creature types found and not found within the city, which synergies well with the Knowledge devotion feat, thus it makes for a decent PrC for a standard mage/fighter gish, with more leaning towards the mage considering it advances what, 9/10 yet has a wizards bab, along with a boost in reflex saves and will saves along with a higher hit die than your wizard/sorcerer, which while not as evil to take as Fort or Will saves to the face, it is still helpful none the less.

Venger
2012-09-10, 03:22 PM
I have found urban savant, and urban soul, was wondering if any other decent city based prcs, mostly in mind would be a hobo like character of epic abilities ;).

Cityscape varient ranger/druids are already taken into account.
"Imitation is the highest form of flattery." - Charles Caleb Colton.
Glad you liked my old character. He was called the King of Doorways, because he considered all doorways to be his domain. While he didn't sleep, exactly, his idle time was largely spent there.

Fist of the forest can be easily refluffed to be a super hobo. It even forces you to adhere to a sort of code of vagrancy, forbidding you from ever paying for food or sleeping under a roof. If that's not epic hobo abilities, I don't even know what is.

lackluster though it is, savage species' survivor makes you quite hale and hardy (though not giving any BA is a huge slap in the face) gaining uncanny dodge, evasion, imp uncanny dodge, and imp evasion in that order, plus all good saves. it'd really enable you to take a pounding, even if it gave you little in the way of offensive punch.

seconding drunken master. since it requires great fortitude anyways, take poison healer. you heal your con mod worth of HP every time you make the fort save against poison (like booze) if your DM will let you, see if you can take the 3.0 drunken master from sword and fist. it is an extremely different (and much better) class from the 3.5 one, which was nerfed considerably, since we all know how OP monks are.available from wotc here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010105)

Tvtyrant
2012-09-10, 03:38 PM
I think "city-damage" is worth it in an urban campaign. Whatever the heck that is :smallannoyed:

silverwolfer
2012-09-10, 04:02 PM
am going to take a look at refluffing the fist of the forest idea, any build possibilties besides monk/sword sage?

Magic Myrmidon
2012-09-10, 06:47 PM
It's not a PrC or variant, exactly, but in the Dragon Compendium, there's a whole base class called the Urban Druid. I've considered trying it out before.