PDA

View Full Version : Fighter's bonus feats

lorddrake
2012-09-10, 09:00 AM
I'm tinkering on a homebrew silly class (a tier 1 fighter) and I came up with a question...

Which feats would you add to the fighter's bonus feat list? Which feats are out there that fit him but are not on the list?

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-10, 10:16 AM
Weapon Supremacy (PHB2 p85) It always irked me that this one could not be taken with a fighter bonus feat.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-10, 10:24 AM
a "Lucky Fighter" ACF would be nice. Give fighters the ability to take luck feats as their fighter feats.

Diovid
2012-09-10, 11:58 AM
I think they already qualify for most relevant Style and Tactical feats so that's good. I'd suggest the Leader feats from Heroes of Battle.

eggs
2012-09-10, 12:04 PM
I think most of the nonmagical tactical and weapon style feats should be on that list, but quite a few of them aren't (especially in the later books).
Drow of the Underdark had a bunch of feats I thought would fit (various intimidation, feinting, poisoning feats, some weapon styles, etc.)

It would be nice if shifter feats were on that list, but it would be even nicer if shifting were changed not to eat all your feats to get some decent daily uses.

dextercorvia
2012-09-10, 02:29 PM
If you are making him T1, then it probably wouldn't be out of line to allow any feat. Depending on what else you are adding to the class, you might be able to get by with having every fighter bonus feat behave like the Chameleon floating feat.

"I thought you were an archer?"

"Yesterday, I was. Today, I'm a chain-tripper."

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 03:43 PM
If you are making him T1, then it probably wouldn't be out of line to allow any feat. Depending on what else you are adding to the class, you might be able to get by with having every fighter bonus feat behave like the Chameleon floating feat.

Still wouldn't make him T1 or close. Heck if you gave him an ability at level 1 that said...

At each fighter level you gain a number of feats equal to your ECL (Any non magical feat is a FBF).

At 4th level you gain 4 fighter bonus feats. At 5th level you gain 5 more.... And so on.

Actually you would still need to fix the feats....

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-10, 03:47 PM
Still wouldn't make him T1 or close. Heck if you gave him an ability at level 1 that said...

At each fighter level you gain a number of feats equal to your ECL (Any non magical feat is a FBF).

At 4th level you gain 4 fighter bonus feats. At 5th level you gain 5 more.... And so on.

Why not just be Wizard 17/Fighter 3 for a bunch of extra feats, then?

ryu
2012-09-10, 03:51 PM
Because 54 fighter specific feats aren't worth three levels of wizard.

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 03:55 PM
Why not just be Wizard 17/Fighter 3 for a bunch of extra feats, then?

Yeah just got Wiz 20 for more power...

As written most feats suck.. Some are fun... and some are great.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-10, 03:57 PM
Because 54 fighter specific feats aren't worth three levels of wizard.

Well, you don't really lose all that much after you've got 9th level spells. Just take Practiced Spellcaster at 18th level (with a regular feat), and you've got a bunch of extra feats to play around with.

Actually, Psion 17/Fighter 3 would let you swap those feats around whenever you wanted to, so that might be better.

dextercorvia
2012-09-10, 04:01 PM

Not by itself, no. But the ability to change several feats per day, without additional restrictions on what kind of feats they are, would be more interesting that what they get.

By itself, it should bring them up to T3.

Sewercop
2012-09-10, 05:06 PM
Instead of making a tier 1 fighter class, you would be making the perfect dipping class. Shuffle the feats around and you can get more from one level of dipping then the actual class you are dipping for... Now thats funny :)

lorddrake
2012-09-10, 05:49 PM

The class I have been designing have some things that work like that...

I'm sorry for not being clearer before. I was curious about those feats. That is not the only thing I'm doing to the tier 1 fighter (feats are not even it main trick).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-10, 05:55 PM
Put simply, I think you're trying to do the impossible.

Gaining the campaign and world shattering power of a T1 requires the ability to tell the laws that govern reality to sit down and shut the **** up.

A fighter just can't do that no matter how many feats you give him. You can make him capable of wrecking any combat encounter he comes across, but a skilled optimizer can almost do that anyway. You can make him capable of demolishing social encounters, who-dun-its, and find the mcguffin quests, but you'll never be able to make him shatter the world's economy, produce nearly limitless xp for anything but leveling, or slaying a god with a bit of luck and a lot of good planning, without just outright giving him spellcasting.

Contrary to popular belief, the fighter isn't that broken. Spellcasting is.

In a world where everyone has the appropriate WBL; there are no scrolls, wands, or staves; and artificers are the only "casters," the fighter and everyone else below T2 will start looking very competetive.

Incidentally, the above sounds like it could make an interesting campaign model, if you tweak the artificer's infusion mechanic. Drop it to a full-round action, or maybe a full-round to infuse an item and it could make for some very exciting times, or just remove the infusions and make artificer an npc class.

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:02 PM
Put simply, I think you're trying to do the impossible.

Gaining the campaign and world shattering power of a T1 requires the ability to tell the laws that govern reality to sit down and shut the **** up.

A fighter just can't do that no matter how many feats you give him. You can make him capable of wrecking any combat encounter he comes across, but a skilled optimizer can almost do that anyway. You can make him capable of demolishing social encounters, who-dun-its, and find the mcguffin quests, but you'll never be able to make him shatter the world's economy, produce nearly limitless xp for anything but leveling, or slaying a god with a bit of luck and a lot of good planning, without just outright giving him spellcasting.

Contrary to popular belief, the fighter isn't that broken. Spellcasting is.

In a world where everyone has the appropriate WBL; there are no scrolls, wands, or staves; and artificers are the only "casters," the fighter and everyone else below T2 will start looking very competetive.

Incidentally, the above sounds like it could make an interesting campaign model, if you tweak the artificer's infusion mechanic. Drop it to a full-round action, or maybe a full-round to infuse an item and it could make for some very exciting times, or just remove the infusions and make artificer an npc class.

Well they did tests on if the Fighter could stand up to an enemy of proper level and about level 10 ish the Fighter stopped being a threat to enemies of the proper level.

Yeah the fighter is broken but the spells are broken even more.

What would be nice (and I may add this into my fighter) is a way to give the Fighter spell immunity.

Have it scale.. Possibly do something like... 10% chance / 2 Fighter levels that a harmful spell won't affect the fighter. This is because all the training a fighter does to make his body immune to magic (like you know... we do to bacteria or disease by eating correctly and working out).

A Wizard has miss chance and the Fighter has spell immunity. Fun times!.

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:05 PM
Not by itself, no. But the ability to change several feats per day, without additional restrictions on what kind of feats they are, would be more interesting that what they get.

By itself, it should bring them up to T3.

Most feats suck tho. Most of the good ones get you away from being a fighter.

dextercorvia
2012-09-10, 10:26 PM
Most of the good ones get you away from being a fighter.

Are you serious? Most of the best feats are not fighter bonus feats. This would allow him to dabble in incarnum or binding, and then switch it out. He could pick up a little magical ability one day, and then psionics the next.

Reading Comprehension Fail

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:36 PM
Are you serious? Most of the best feats are not fighter bonus feats. This would allow him to dabble in incarnum or binding, and then switch it out. He could pick up a little magical ability one day, and then psionics the next.

Yeah I'm serious... as I said most of the good feats get you away from being a fighter. I'm not sure why you followed up with examples of feats that support my statement that ...You know what.. Nevermind..

A Fighter isn't a magical psionic binder... Not sure what you think a Fighter is but then again I read your reply again and I'm not sure if you are weirdly agreeing with me or think I said something else.. Yeah..

Let me be clearer.

Most feats in 3.5 sucks. Not all but most.
Most feats that don't suck are made for magic/psionic whatever or it brings your character away from the fighter archtype.

dextercorvia
2012-09-10, 11:57 PM
No, I totally misread what you said as "most good feats you get anyway from being fighter."

My mistake.