PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Building a Militant Goliath Cleric

CreganTur
2012-09-10, 09:18 AM
My Theurge died for good in the campaign I'm currently in (got ambushed and hit with 2 crits from a green Dragonspawn, which has a X3 multiplier. Needless to say, I was sliced into tiny bits), so I'm building a militant cleric to replace him. The party has no other healer, so Cleric was an easy choice.

He's going to be a level 9 cleric and I decided I wanted him to be a Goliath.

We have a really high starting stat string, so here's what I currently have:

STR:24
DEX:14
CON:17
INT:13
WIS:16
CHA:16

I've been thinking about changing it to:

STR:22
CHA:18

because putting the extra point in CHA would give me 7 starting Channel points. Adding on 2 Extra Turning feats would bring me up to 15, which gives me 3 uses of DMM Quicken.

I have 7 Feats available (5 from level & 2 flaws) and my current selection is:
Power Attack
Divine Metamagic
Quicken Spell
Extra Turning
Extra Turning

So I need to fill in 2 more feats. I'm really not sure what I want to take at the moment.

My main concept with this character is slef-buff/party buff with the ability to tank a little and deal some decent damage.

Right now I'm thinking sword & board so I can keep my AC up, but more and more I think I need a defending Shield so I can roll as a 2hander for the extra strength and power attack damage.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and anyone know any good +1 LA Templates I can staple on? with LA Buyoff I can afford another +1 since I'm 9th level. I looked for a few, but couldn't find any I really liked... except Feral, but the DM felt it was overpowered to put on a Goliath.

Melnir
2012-09-10, 09:52 AM
My Theurge died for good in the campaign I'm currently in (got ambushed and hit with 2 crits from a green Dragonspawn, which has a X3 multiplier. Needless to say, I was sliced into tiny bits), so I'm building a militant cleric to replace him. The party has no other healer, so Cleric was an easy choice.

He's going to be a level 9 cleric and I decided I wanted him to be a Goliath.

We have a really high starting stat string, so here's what I currently have:

STR:24
CHA:16

I've been thinking about changing it to:

STR:22
CHA:18

because putting the extra point in CHA would give me 7 starting Channel points. Adding on 2 Extra Turning feats would bring me up to 15, which gives me 3 uses of DMM Quicken.

I have 7 Feats available (5 from level & 2 flaws) and my current selection is:
Power Attack
Divine Metamagic
Quicken Spell
Extra Turning
Extra Turning

So I need to fill in 2 more feats. I'm really not sure what I want to take at the moment.

My main concept with this character is slef-buff/party buff with the ability to tank a little and deal some decent damage.

Right now I'm thinking sword & board so I can keep my AC up, but more and more I think I need a defending Shield so I can roll as a 2hander for the extra strength and power attack damage.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and anyone know any good +1 LA Templates I can staple on? with LA Buyoff I can afford another +1 since I'm 9th level. I looked for a few, but couldn't find any I really liked... except Feral, but the DM felt it was overpowered to put on a Goliath.

Lolth touched and draconic might be good (expecially lolth touched). I would take more extra turning, it might be the best choice. Why not DMM persist? And why not 18 to Wis?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-10, 10:07 AM
I suggest taking the War domain and getting the Spontaneous Domain ACF from PHII, then at level 9 take Holy Warrior (CChamp) and bust heads with a +4 damage in each attack you do. Holy warrior gives you a bonus to attack and damage (it might be one or the other, I can't recall exactly) equal to the highest level spell from the War domain you have prepared, and since you can cast those spells spontaneously, as long as you have 1 spell slot of your highest level (which include domain slots BTW) you get that bonus.

If you want to get more turn attemps, you could get the Destroy Undead ACF from Expedition to castle Ravenloft (which explicity can be used to fuel abilities that require Turn/rebuke undead) and then take a level into Sacred Exorcist (CDiv IIRC) which gives you Turn undead if you didn't had it before (you didn't) now you have 6+(cha mod*2) uses to fuel DMM. And even better Extra Turning would work for both of them so you get extra 8 uses from 1 feat. Add Reliquary Holy Symbol (Mic) for 2 extra attempts.

CreganTur
2012-09-11, 08:17 AM
Taking the Destroy Undead ACF and adding on Sacred Excorcist plus 2 Extra Turning Feats gives me 30 channel points (6 + 8 + 8 + 8). That's 6 uses of DMM Quicken- SCORE!

DM approved, so I'm definately going in this direction.

With that in mind, I'm tacking on a couple more combat feats so up my damage output:
Power Attack
Leap Attack
Furious Focus
Divine Metamagic
Quicken Spell
Extra Turning
Extra Turning

With max skill ranks, trained bonus (I'll find a trait to allow it... there has to be one, right?) and boots of Striding & Springing my Acrobatics rank is 20, which is the exact DC needed for a 20 foot horizontal jump, which means I shouldn't have any problems getting Leap Attack off. Throw in the Goliath's ability where you are always coutned as having a running start, and I'm feeling prety good about that choice.

I really want to find a way to get a Great Axe as my weapon... but I'll need to find a diety that works with so I can use spells like Divine Power for extra battle prowess. I know that I want the War and Healing domains. Any suggestions?

If I can't get the War Axe I at least need a 2 handed weapon.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-11, 09:08 AM
If you are still getting that extra LA, I suggest Draconic,which boosts all but your important scores save wisdom (and as fighty cleric it isn't as important as long as you get 9th's).

For combat-deities I suggest looking into Complete Warrior, it has many obscure Greyhawk Deities.

CreganTur
2012-09-11, 09:26 AM
Draconic is a good template, but I'm not going to add anything else onto thsi build.

DM, who's also a friend, told me we only have about 3 more engagements in this campaign and my build would be WAY over optimized compared to the rest of the party, so I'm going to stick with Goliath Cleric/Sacred Excorcist.

CreganTur
2012-09-11, 02:38 PM
Now I'm trying to finish up my gear selection.

I have 46k to spend. These are my current selections, which leaves me with 6.5k left:

+1 Holy Greataxe
+2 Mithril Breastplate
Boots of Striding and Springing
+2 Cloak of Resistance
+2 Belt of Giant Strength

Any suggestions?