PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding AoOs

mucco
2012-09-10, 06:21 PM
What methods are there to avoid provoking AoOs while moving out of threatened squares? Feats, magic items, spells, what have you.

Restrictions: I know about Tumble; also, tricks to avoid detection altogether (e.g. Invisibility). I'm looking for something else.

zoobob9
2012-09-10, 06:29 PM
There's something in the second Fiendish Codex that makes it so the square you start in never count's as threatened...But besides that, tumble is the only thing I know of. Remember, even if the opponent has multiple attacks of opportunity, they only get ONE PER ROUND on you, no matter how many you would normally provoke.

There are feats in the Net book of feats (which most people don't use) that allow you to make AoO on people when they normally would not provoke them. So even tumble might not save you if someone can get that. I made a trip/AoO optimized build once, and I tried to be as thorough as I could.

zoobob9
2012-09-10, 06:37 PM
Mark of Dis

Prereqs are Brand of the Nine Hells (which you need to be a lawful evil devil to get) and allegiance to Dispater.

Benefit: *misplaces flavor text* When you move (and only when you move), the square in which you start your movement is not considered threatened. In addition, once per round as an immediate action, you can choose to gain a +4 bonus to AC or on a single save. This bonus applies to one or the other, but not both.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-10, 08:24 PM
Remember, even if the opponent has multiple attacks of opportunity, they only get ONE PER ROUND on you, no matter how many you would normally provoke.

Actually, that only counts for movement. The PHB specifically states that you can take multiple attacks of opportunity if they're provoked.

PHB, page 137-138
Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity: If you have the Combat Reflexes feat (page 92), you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you—such as by moving out of a threatened square and then casting a spell in a threatened square—you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

RandomLunatic
2012-09-10, 08:40 PM
Spring Attack renders you immune to AoOs from your target only. Ride-By-Attack confers AoO immunity to you and your mount.

You cannot AoO targets with cover, so tower shields work too.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-10, 08:48 PM
The Assassin/Ranger spell Lightfoot from the Spell Compendium.

Tome of Battle has several maneuvers that prevent a target from making AoOs. (Douse the Flames, Covering Strike)

Also, anything that renders a foe flat-footed will work as long as they don't have Combat Reflexes. (Ghost Blade maneuver from ToB, Distract Assailant spell from SpC)

TuggyNE
2012-09-10, 09:28 PM
Actually, that only counts for movement. The PHB specifically states that you can take multiple attacks of opportunity if they're provoked.

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity: If you have the Combat Reflexes feat (page 92), you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you—such as by moving out of a threatened square and then casting a spell in a threatened square—you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

I believe he was referring to the bolded section, in that moving through multiple threatened squares (just about) never provokes more than one AoO. (And that provocation happens in the first square available, and cannot be delayed; there are a few odd implications to this.)

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-10, 09:44 PM
I believe he was referring to the bolded section, in that moving through multiple threatened squares (just about) never provokes more than one AoO. (And that provocation happens in the first square available, and cannot be delayed; there are a few odd implications to this.)

I thought so; I just figured I'd clear it up for the OP.

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:09 PM
There is an Armband in the MIC that stops 1 AoO. You have 2 arms soooo 2 Armbands!

Man With Dog
2012-09-11, 06:02 AM
Doesn't grace also prevent AoO for your turn at least?
Level 1 Paladin Spell?

I may be remembering incorrectly but i think it does.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-11, 06:08 AM
There is an Armband in the MIC that stops 1 AoO. You have 2 arms soooo 2 Armbands!

That's not how magical item slots work.

Gwendol
2012-09-11, 06:27 AM
Withdraw. Taking a 5' step (can be made into a 10' step in some cases).

Also, magic items such as the anklets of translocation.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-11, 06:30 AM
You cannot AoO targets with cover, so tower shields work too.

Could you give where does this rule come from?

EDIT: Found it on my own in cover rules "If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover."

Mirakk
2012-09-11, 09:01 AM
There's a skill trick you can use called Timely Misdirection that allows you to perform a feint and avoid any attacks of opportunity from that opponent this round. Requires 8 ranks in bluff as a prereq, and 2 skill points to take the skill trick.

Depending on how your DM views combining skill tricks, you might be able to stack that with Group Fakeout, to avoid several opponents at once, but that trick will only work once per combat, of course.

herrhauptmann
2012-09-11, 10:45 AM

Even if the item is only a single armband, glove, or shoe, it still takes up that entire body slot.
Thus, no rusting gauntlet on your left, and glove of storing on your right.

If you really want two of them, pay extra for an unslotted armband or belt.

Gavinfoxx
2012-09-11, 12:42 PM
I know you know about tumble... but why is just sticking with that bad, specifically? Get a rank, get that psychoactive skin, and you are good to go...

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-11, 12:51 PM
Could you give where does this rule come from?

EDIT: Found it on my own in cover rules "If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover."

Actually, it is more than just 'total cover'. PHB p.151:

Cover and Attacks of Opportunity
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover relative to you.

You can find it in the SRD here:

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover relative to you. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover)

Note that the use of the Tower Shield for cover only works if you give up your attacks.

Person_Man
2012-09-11, 12:53 PM
Various status conditions prevent your enemy from making AoO. Daze, Paralyze, Sleep, Flat Footed (unless they have Combat Reflexes), and so on.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-12, 04:38 AM
Even if the item is only a single armband, glove, or shoe, it still takes up that entire body slot.
Thus, no rusting gauntlet on your left, and glove of storing on your right.

See now, I always thought that what topcheese said had this one right.

Can I get a source for this?

killianh
2012-09-12, 05:12 AM
IIRC the feat sidestep lets you take a 5ft step after you are attacked so that can help with certain AoO situations

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-12, 10:03 AM
There is also total concealment so being invisible or having an effect such as the greater concealing amorpha power would render you immune to AoOs from most foes.

herrhauptmann
2012-09-13, 05:34 PM
See now, I always thought that what topcheese said had this one right.

Can I get a source for this?
1- http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody Specifically mentions "1 glove," since there weren't any single bracers when the DMG was printed. But extrapolate for shoes and bracers.
2- No space limitation http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-13, 07:19 PM
1- http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody Specifically mentions "1 glove," since there weren't any single bracers when the DMG was printed. But extrapolate for shoes and bracers.
2- No space limitation http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Huh..... I guess it's a good thing I always get my gloves in pairs anyway.

I wonder why I never noticed that before?

nameurl
2012-09-14, 02:04 PM
Evasion/Improved Evasion helps. Improved Grapple, also.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-14, 08:44 PM
Evasion/Improved Evasion helps. Improved Grapple, also.

How does evasion help to avoid an AoO?

TuggyNE
2012-09-14, 08:56 PM
How does evasion help to avoid an AoO?

Or Improved Grapple, for that matter (except the obvious use of avoiding AoOs on grapple attempts).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-14, 09:01 PM
Or Improved Grapple, for that matter (except the obvious use of avoiding AoOs on grapple attempts).

I can kinda see the grappling one. If you're in a grapple, you're probably not doing anything that will provoke an AoO and your opponent can't make AoO's against your allies.

If that's not what he meant, then I have no idea.