PDA

View Full Version : Wandfighter Rules Questions

Reibello
2012-09-10, 06:32 PM
Was conversing with a friend the other day about silly things to do in D&D, and this character idea came up. I have a few questions about it, which I will present in order.

Concept: This all started when he started using wands. The rules for Use Magic Device state (emphasis mine)

"Use a Wand: Normally, to use a wand, you must have
the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of
the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a
particular spell on your class spell list."

As far as he (and so far, I) can tell, your class spell list is the one in the back of the PHB (or the Spell Compendium, if you're fancy). He thinks that by taking one level of an Arcane class...say Wizard, and one level of a Divine class...say Cleric, and the rest in levels of whatever, you can use any wand that shows up on levels 1-4 of the Wiz/Clr lists. I'm not sold on the class list thing, it makes sense to me that you'd acquire it by levels, but that's why I'm asking you guys.

Also yes, I'm aware Wizard/Archivist or Sorcerer/Favored Soul are better for not getting so MAD.

So, first question is, does this work the way my friend believes it does?

Assuming yes, we were just talking about having a Fgt or fairly boring class as the other 18 levels. What would all y'all include for a not-so-casty wandfighter?

Thanks much.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-09-10, 06:36 PM
So, first question is, does this work the way my friend believes it does?

It does indeed. It'd be simpler to just take a level of cleric, though, since the Magic domain lets you use scrolls, wands, and such as a wizard of half your cleric level, allowing you to use both cleric and wizard wands without taking a level of wizard. Also, a cleric dip is something a fighter might take anyway for Travel Devotion and possibly Knowledge Devotion, so it's actually not a bad combination.

Reibello
2012-09-10, 06:43 PM
Nifty. Thanks.

So now my question is, is there a way to really get some good bang out of this plan? Doesn't have to be a 1-20 build. At any level really. Double digit levels are more interesting for (what I think are) obvious reasons. I'm not expecting a Cleric or Druid functionality out of this guy, but something that could be useful in a party with pretty low levels of power gaming.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-09-10, 06:53 PM
Nifty. Thanks.

So now my question is, is there a way to really get some good bang out of this plan? Doesn't have to be a 1-20 build. At any level really. Double digit levels are more interesting for (what I think are) obvious reasons. I'm not expecting a Cleric or Druid functionality out of this guy, but something that could be useful in a party with pretty low levels of power gaming.

What you want to do with the rest of your build depends on what sorts of wands you'll be using. A ranger or scout already specced for ranged combat could do nice things with wands containing ray spells; a pure-offense barbarian/frenzied berserker could use defensive wands to shore up his weaknesses; a basic fighter type short on skills could rely on wands for utility; and so forth.

Malroth
2012-09-10, 06:57 PM
I'd go human TWF ranger with a 1 level cloistered cleric dip for Knowledge devotion able learner, Travel Devotion, and Magic domain, put a wand sheath in both your 1 handed weapons grabbing useful no-save spells in your wands.

Edit: I'd go with wands of Lesser energy surge/wraithstrike/ Blades of Blood to buff yourself as a swift action without sacrificing attacks.

nyjastul69
2012-09-10, 07:23 PM
Be sure to note that a character doesn't even need to be able to actually cast spells to use a wand, they only need to have a class list. For example, a 1st lvl Ranger can use a wand of cure light wounds.