PDA

View Full Version : Options for backup character (3.5 Only)

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 09:32 PM
So I'm making up a backup character since I'm the primary melee death machine and I *might* die. If I do there is no way I can be raised and really I don't want to be (cuts the grit and danger out of the game). We are in a 90% undead game that seems to be low wealth/low magic items.

Party members so far (currently level 3).

Gnome Illusionist (combat type)
Rogue (1 skillmonkey and 1 sneak attack optimized)
2 Clerics (one spell focused VoP and one somewhat melee low op kinda guy)
Crusader (will show up next time)

So the party is rounded out nicely.

I'm thinking of making one of the following

Warmage (Sandshaper)
Warmage (Warbard via Prestige Bard)
Warmage (other, I'm not done reading up on some builds)

I'm not sure what Warmage build would help the party out AND be fun to play. (As in not useless).

Does anyone have a suggestion? I found a couple handbooks and I'm going through them to figure what all I can do.

Thanks in advance!

LTwerewolf
2012-09-10, 10:21 PM
Have you checked out duskblade? Similar feel, but I like it a bit better. Your group could also use a barbarian archetype or a warblade (high hp, high raw damage).

TopCheese
2012-09-10, 10:29 PM
Have you checked out duskblade? Similar feel, but I like it a bit better. Your group could also use a barbarian archetype or a warblade (high hp, high raw damage).

Crusader can cover hp/damage tank pretty well.

I've never been a fan of the Duskblade, plus that is more melee focused. I'm currently a Totemist sooo I'm going a different way with the next guy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-10, 11:14 PM
Rainbow Servant is a pretty strong choice, especially if you use the text's full casting progression instead of the table per RAW. I'd prefer to use the built-in adaptation to switch its theme to a different creature, the Phoenix from MM2 is probably the coolest choice. You can take Sanctum Spell and Versatile Spellcaster (or any number of other combinations) to go Warmage 1/ Rainbow Servant 10/ whatever. Based on a Phoenix it would grant the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains, get Detect Evil and Detect Magic, and instead of Detect Thoughts it would probably grant Misdirection. The wings would only change in appearance.

TopCheese
2012-09-11, 08:01 AM
Rainbow Servant is a pretty strong choice, especially if you use the text's full casting progression instead of the table per RAW. I'd prefer to use the built-in adaptation to switch its theme to a different creature, the Phoenix from MM2 is probably the coolest choice. You can take Sanctum Spell and Versatile Spellcaster (or any number of other combinations) to go Warmage 1/ Rainbow Servant 10/ whatever. Based on a Phoenix it would grant the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains, get Detect Evil and Detect Magic, and instead of Detect Thoughts it would probably grant Misdirection. The wings would only change in appearance.

The DM and party thinks the Totemist is OP I fear Rainbow Servant would blow their minds.

:p

I did think about it though.

What I want to do is be a versitile guy. I read in a handbook that the Warmage if played right can be a very flexible spell caster (since they don't have great class features).

LTwerewolf
2012-09-11, 08:43 AM
I read in a handbook that the Warmage if played right can be a very flexible spell caster (since they don't have great class features).

Warmage suffers from a similar problem as the sorcerer that they don't learn a ton of different spells, except it's more pronounced that they also have a limited list.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-11, 08:55 AM
Warmage gets a lot of mileage out of anything that adds to it's spell list. Arcane Disciple springs to mind.

Snowbluff
2012-09-11, 11:10 AM
Warmage gets a lot of mileage out of anything that adds to it's spell list. Arcane Disciple springs to mind.

Yeah, but keep in mind that you can only cast each of those spells 1/day, IIRC.

Another option is [Bloodline] feats from Dragon Magazine Compendium/the actual magazines. 9 spells for one feats. One of each of those spells it typically a lemon though (Sepia Snake Sigil I am looking at you!).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-11, 11:27 AM
Would Versatile spellcaster solve the issue of Arcane Disciple? even if not it is a pretty good feat for any caster that qualifies.

Pilo
2012-09-11, 11:35 AM
RAW you cannot go into prestige bard because you cannot fullfil this requirement:
Special : Ability to cast at least one 1st-level arcane spell from each of the divination, enchantment, and illusion schools.

Warmage does not get any Enchantment spells and your first illusion spell is at level 4.

Snowbluff
2012-09-11, 12:55 PM
Would Versatile spellcaster solve the issue of Arcane Disciple? even if not it is a pretty good feat for any caster that qualifies.

It explicitly say you may only cast each spell1/day, as well as prepare only then 1/day. Versatile Spellcaster is still casting. If it say prepare only, it would have been fine.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-11, 01:06 PM
It explicitly say you may only cast each spell1/day, as well as prepare only then 1/day. Versatile Spellcaster is still casting. If it say prepare only, it would have been fine.

I don't have my books at hand; but IIRC Versatile Spellcastera reads "by sacrificing two lower level spell slots you may cast any spell you know of a level higher than the sacrificed slots" and IIRC Arcane disciple adds them to your Spells Known list. So really it depends on which you consider more specific ( the "Specific triumphs general" rule doesn't adress when two specific rulea contradict each oher).

Snowbluff
2012-09-11, 01:27 PM
I don't have my books at hand; but IIRC Versatile Spellcastera reads "by sacrificing two lower level spell slots you may cast any spell you know of a level higher than the sacrificed slots" and IIRC Arcane disciple adds them to your Spells Known list. So really it depends on which you consider more specific ( the "Specific triumphs general" rule doesn't adress when two specific rulea contradict each oher).

It's not really a matter of if you can cast it. AD specifically does say 1/day per spell. If you are using another method to cast it, it is still casting it.

Sure there is the matter of "you can cast" from VSC, but I think the AD feat leaves little room for argument. :smalltongue:

TopCheese
2012-09-11, 02:50 PM
It's not really a matter of if you can cast it. AD specifically does say 1/day per spell. If you are using another method to cast it, it is still casting it.

Sure there is the matter of "you can cast" from VSC, but I think the AD feat leaves little room for argument. :smalltongue:

AD is one of those things that I've seen a lot of argument over... I may want to stay away from it -_-;;;

Telonius
2012-09-11, 03:17 PM
I suppose Dread Necromancer is out of the question? [/troublemaking]

Ranger (Favored Enemy: Undead) with a one-level dip in Cleric could get you into the Hunter of the Dead PrC (CWar) by level 7. (Singleclass Paladin could do it by 6). Definitely thematic and useful to the campaign, if not ridiculously powerful. It gets you full BAB, detect undead at-will, a few nifty abilities, some spellcasting, and (capstone) immunity to level loss from energy drain.

Snowbluff
2012-09-11, 03:44 PM

I don't know. Is Beguiler out of the question?

It might be better/easier for Prestige Bard.

TopCheese
2012-09-11, 04:32 PM

Ranger (Favored Enemy: Undead) with a one-level dip in Cleric could get you into the Hunter of the Dead PrC (CWar) by level 7. (Singleclass Paladin could do it by 6). Definitely thematic and useful to the campaign, if not ridiculously powerful. It gets you full BAB, detect undead at-will, a few nifty abilities, some spellcasting, and (capstone) immunity to level loss from energy drain.

I've actually been mulling over the idea of a Dread Necromancer. I'm looking into different casters since I'm already in the melee role and we will have a couple other melee types.

Fluff for next character...

He worships Pelor (well did...) and is now on a quest to figure out his god and whatever the "Burning Hate" may be. :)

Actually this will be my go to background for any new character that I make for this game, perhaps be part of a secrete society.. Hmm yeah I'll work on this.

gorfnab
2012-09-11, 08:21 PM
How about a Bard?
Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 is fairly solid and can contribute nicely to any party.
Bard Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284)
Inspire Courage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830)

Artificer would also be a nice option to add to the party.
Artificer Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-11, 08:52 PM
You could just go Druid, they get plenty of blasting spells, crowd controls, buffs, utility, etc. plus you'll get a strong melee frontliner/flanker in your animal companion and you yourself can jump into melee without any special effort (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html). Pick up as many Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend as you can get, for buffs and spells like Kelpstrand and Creeping Cold.

Since it's undead heavy, consider starting out with a few Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) to put on a pile of Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) (turning) spell foci so it will last 365 times longer (about 60.8 hours per caster level). Those can be reused an unlimited number of times since the unguent never wears off, so you can set them up ahead of time and have tons of turn undead uses for the next adventure. Get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads with the Bead of Smiting removed, per DMG pricing it's only 9,000 gp, and you can use the Bead of Karma before casting Bone Talisman.