PDA

View Full Version : So I'm selling a +5 Amulet of Natural Armor.

Snowbluff
2012-09-10, 09:42 PM
Since if I put it on, my DM get pet pissed when he realizes he can't hurt me. He's already a little miffed at the overt assassination that I (Cleric4/OrdainedChampion3/PrestigePaladin1) and the bow focused fighter perform all over this pirate guy.

It's worth 50kgp, but I think I there might be a spell I can cast to make it seem like more (Magic Vestments?).

So I am asking 2 things:

What can I do to squeeze more money out of this thing.

What should I do with the cash. It's going towards a prayer bead of karma and 5 nightsticks otherwise. NO Candles of Invocation, please. I don't think my DM would like that.

Kazyan
2012-09-10, 09:46 PM
You're thinking of Magic Aura, but I don't think it goes up to 11, so to speak.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-10, 09:51 PM
Ring of Protection +5 :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, now. A ring of spell storing might be useful, or maybe a ring of freedom of movement. You could get a crystal ball with see invis (although I doubt your DM would like that either).

Snowbluff
2012-09-10, 09:53 PM
You're thinking of Magic Aura, but I don't think it goes up to 11, so to speak.

Nystul's Magic Aura... hmm... if I have just any old piece of junk this would be ideal, but there is kinda no point if the object is already a powerful item... :smalltongue:

Thanks! Maybe i can sell some Magic Weapon swords or something. It would be funny to use guidance of the avatar and divine insight to bluff that "sure, these are permanent enchantment!"

Thomasinx
2012-09-10, 10:23 PM
I get the feeling that your DM will have more issues with 5 stacked nightsticks than with a mere +5 to natural armor. Simply increasing AC doesn't help anywhere near as much as those extra turn attempts will...

Snowbluff
2012-09-10, 10:33 PM
I get the feeling that your DM will have more issues with 5 stacked nightsticks than with a mere +5 to natural armor. Simply increasing AC doesn't help anywhere near as much as those extra turn attempts will...

Yeah, except this way I have throw more persisted spells at my allies rather than making myself invincible. Evening out the party should make it okay for him to throw things that have a chance again me.
:smallbiggrin:

Fates
2012-09-10, 10:41 PM
Keep in mind, normally, you can only sell magic items for 1/2 their cost.

Snowbluff
2012-09-10, 11:04 PM
Keep in mind, normally, you can only sell magic items for 1/2 their cost.

I am planning to sell it to a noble with some diplomancy. Full price is not going to be a problem.

DownwardSpiral
2012-09-10, 11:11 PM
....(Cleric4/OrdainedChampion3/PrestigePaladin1) ...

...It's worth 50kgp .....

I'm no master of WBL, but how did you get one of these at level 8.

Also, I'm going to echo the thoughts of other people in here to say if you're buying multiple nightsticks for DMM (why else would you buy multiple), your dm is just going to make you get rid of those.

Why is your dm getting upset about not getting past your AC? you'd think he'd just target another save or go after your party members.

ericgrau
2012-09-10, 11:31 PM
(took a wild guess on your current gear)
Upgrade your +2 armor to +4 (12000 gp)
Upgrade your +1 ring of protection to +2 (6000 gp)
Get a dusty rose prism ioun stone (5000 gp)
Get a +2 amulet of natural armor (8000 gp)
Total: 31000 gp, +6 AC, 19,000 gp left over :smalltongue:

More seriously I would still get a little AC since it's cheap. A way to help the party out would be a 3000 gp lesser rod of extend spell or two. That way you can tag the whole party with more long lasting buffs while conserving higher level spell slots. For 35,000 gp there's a lesser rod of quicken spell so you can pile on even more party buffs, picking the non-personal ones that can't be persisted or aren't hour/level. In core there's prayer, bless, sanctuary (after each attack :smallbiggrin:) and divine favor. Dispel magic, searing light and silence aren't bad either. Spell compendium adds resurgence, mass aid, mass conviction, mass resist energy, and mass resurgence for buffs. Plus holy storm is a nice attack spell.

People tend to oversimplify things with false dichotomies and such. Not overcoming the primary defense on a major threat is in fact a problem. (a) it's often costly for monsters to go around him, (b) just because you have a nice defense doesn't mean you're not a major threat and (c) most monsters simply have no choice but to hit AC, though his saves are probably nice too. I like his idea to switch to buffing the party. The biggest reason strong characters cause DM headaches is that it's hard to threaten one without killing off a weaker character. In fact if everyone else gets stronger to match it's no longer a problem.

The one thing I have against buffs is that they're boring. Look into interesting buffs more specific to your campaign like water walk. Continue to spend your standard actions on hitting things yourself.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-10, 11:45 PM
I usually get a bead of karma on my divine casters as soon as I am able to. I just love it for 1 hour/CL buffs :D

lsfreak
2012-09-10, 11:52 PM
What can I do to squeeze more money out of this thing.

Trade it directly. Unlike someone who is buying in an effort to resell, trading should let you pretty much get something of equivalent value, if you can find a source that has something (or somethings) you'd want.

Of course, an item worth 50k is twice what an 8th level character's entire lifetime loot is supposed to be, so you might want to go easy on your DM and just sell it for half.

Alabenson
2012-09-11, 09:31 AM
Something you may want to do with part of the money you get from this is buy a Belt of Battle (MIC 73) if you don't have one already.

Snowbluff
2012-09-11, 10:49 AM
Something you may want to do with part of the money you get from this is buy a Belt of Battle (MIC 73) if you don't have one already.

Oh wow, this is definitely on the list of candidates! Can't believe I forgot about it!