PDA

View Full Version : FR Battle Maps

inexorabletruth
2012-09-10, 11:08 PM
Where can I find them? I'm going for deep immersion, so I'd like something really good, but still with a grid for minis to battle on.

I'm looking for something on The High Road, along the Sword Coast. I don't mind paying for them, but I need to get it online. It's like a $110 cab fair to get to the nearest Nerd-topia game center for my map fixes, and they don't have any FR maps that do what I want any way.

Any suggestions, Playground?

Diarmuid
2012-09-11, 11:57 AM
Unless you're in a very specific town with a very specific landmark, or outside near a well known locale....a battle map is only going to generally cover about 200'x150' of space.

That kind of section on "the high road" would be pretty generic and would look like almost any other road almost anywhere else. The road is likely not close enough to the sword coast for the water to even be visible on the map.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-11, 12:34 PM
Hm... Ok. That's disappointing.

I was hoping to make use of the terrain. The High Road may be a merchant road, but it's got lots of mountain sides, sheer cliff sides, thick vegetation and such. I'm no good at mapmaking, and I wanted to go for something that was as accurate to scale as possible.

Thanks for the help though.

Palanan
2012-09-11, 01:44 PM
If you're looking for battlemaps with detailed terrain, there are some excellent ones courtesy of someone called the Mad Mapper (http://educatedgamer.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=44). I have no idea who he is, but they're superb maps and I've used several in my recent sessions.

Diarmuid
2012-09-11, 02:05 PM
What do you do for grids on those Palanan?

Palanan
2012-09-11, 03:54 PM
I used one map for a survival scenario that was entirely roleplaying and skill checks, so the grid wasn't necessary. For the others I have a separate poster sheet with a one-inch grid that I can slide underneath. (I print these off at a local copy store and the paper's fairly thin.)

For a more finished look, it shouldn't be too difficult to overlay a transparent grid over the main image. Also, this Mad Mapper chap seems to have maps on several sites, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some of them with grids already added.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-12, 08:25 AM
Those are great! Thanks Palanan! :smallbiggrin: