PDA

View Full Version : Can Animate Rope Make a Flail?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-09-11, 01:05 AM
One of my players wants to play a Bard in our upcoming 3.5 game. He's specifically playing a custom race Bard called an Isleut (Eskimo-Viking) whose people get a skill bonus to Profession (Sailor) and Use Rope. Well, as the title here suggests, he wants to know if he can use Animate Rope in conjunction with Deft Hands and Use Rope to create a free Flail type weapon/grappling hook he can mentally command.

On the one hand, I'd like to help him come up with something neat. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Animate Rope doesn't work that way.

So, what would everyone else do? I'm looking for a second opinion since I'm inclined to say no.

As a broader question, How can Animate Rope be used interestingly?

Allanimal
2012-09-11, 02:13 AM
The description of the spell doesn't seem to allow for that, but as the DM, the rule of cool can override it. It does not seem overpowering, considering it requires a spell slot and a coil of rope to use. But be sure to establish in advance what the rope flail needs to hit, how much damage, does it require the bard's standard attack to use, concentration, etc. which of the bard's feats apply to the rope's attacks, what spells (magic weapon, etc?)

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-09-11, 02:31 AM
The description of the spell doesn't seem to allow for that, but as the DM, the rule of cool can override it. It does not seem overpowering, considering it requires a spell slot and a coil of rope to use. But be sure to establish in advance what the rope flail needs to hit, how much damage, does it require the bard's standard attack to use, concentration, etc. which of the bard's feats apply to the rope's attacks, what spells (magic weapon, etc?)

After talking with him, he really just wants to be able to be that cool bard who uses a rope with a weighted end like a makeshift flail. The Animate spell was so that he could tie up targets after he trips them. We're not an OP game, so I might let him do it. He's not the kind of player who takes advantages of his DM, so I doubt he's got some super plan thought up. I'm gonna just rule it as a flail with less damage. We're playing E6 so he doesn't have any spells beyond Animate that'll mess with the weapon much.

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-11, 04:20 AM
Disregarding the animate rope side of the equation, I think this falls under the heading of improvised weapons. If he has a rope with a weight on one end and he wants to swing it around like a flail, he's going to have to take a -4 penalty on attacks since he's basically made a weapon out of whatever was lying about.

Fitz10019
2012-09-11, 04:29 AM
that cool bard who uses a rope with a weighted end like a makeshift flail

Is this an archetype that I've never heard of?

...I think this falls under the heading of improvised weapons... he's going to have to take a -4 penalty on attacks...I would make this weapon a trade for his Whip proficiency, and thereby negate the 'improvised' angle.

You'll want to establish the reach of this weapon, and possibly a range increment for when he wants to throw it, grapple, and pull. I would max that as 15ft vs creatures, like the whip; 50ft vs objects, like any rope.

One extra thing is you may let him add 'unhook' to animate rope's list of commands, so he can use the spell to disengage the hook, or add that action to 'coil.'

Eugenides
2012-09-11, 05:09 AM
Is this an archetype that I've never heard of?

Well, it is a character from the Redwall series of books, if that means anything.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-11, 08:35 AM
Well, it is a character from the Redwall series of books, if that means anything.

The otter, right? I haven't read those in ages.

Eugenides
2012-09-11, 03:38 PM
The otter, right? I haven't read those in ages.

Nah, a mouse if I remember correctly. Storm Gullthwacker.

endoperez
2012-09-11, 04:00 PM
Meteor hammer is a Chinese weapon similar to what you described.

Unless the bard also wants to be a monk, most videos you'll find won't fit. However, I happen to know of a ONE video in which meteor hammer looks like something your bard might be using...

http://youtu.be/sLoE6zTZyyU

Rope Dart is the same thing, but with a smaller, pointy weight in the end. There's a D&D 3.0 version of it in the Arms and Equipment Guide called "Whip Dagger", and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138520)people talk about a 3.5 conversion. You could use that but make it bludgeoning.

Of course, that's the proper weapon, if he starts with a home-made one the stats will be worse.