PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Posting Errata?

silverwolfer
2012-09-11, 04:08 AM
So....question ...

My DM does not own any dragon magazine stuff...but one of the issues has errata dealing with the OA shaman class, that gives it unarmed damage progression of a monk.

Dealing that it is errata, can i take a snap shot and show him THAT specific thing, as I obviously can't just give him a digital copy of the ENTIRE magazine without umm legal troubles.

Yes I know , hint hint wink wink, show him it anyways no one will know, thats not the point. That, and its itching at the back of my mind.

Malak'ai
2012-09-11, 04:15 AM
I think this comes under the "legal advice" area of the forum rules, which is something we're not allowed to do.

Alaris
2012-09-11, 04:16 AM
If the Errata is in the magazine, then technically copying/snapshotting it would be illegal.

If it's available on the WoTC site for free, then you're fine.

silverwolfer
2012-09-11, 04:19 AM
gotcha , ok

HunterOfJello
2012-09-11, 04:22 AM
I suggest talking to a legal professional if you really want to know more about copyright laws, fair use doctrine, and all that jazz.

Callum
2012-09-11, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately, that article in Dragon #318 wasn't even errata - it was just some suggestions for updating OA to 3.5 rules. It wasn't designated at Open Game Content, nor was permission given to copy it for personal use. So I would say that the prohibition on the contents page applies: "No part of this magazine may be reproduced without the prior written consent of the publisher."

You could try emailing WotC and asking them for their permission. Or you could just say to your DM: "Hey, why don't you give the shaman Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level, and another bonus martial arts feat (provided the prerequisites are met) at every level divisible by 4? You could also let the shaman's unarmed damage improve a dice category every five levels."

Person_Man
2012-09-11, 12:26 PM
No, you cannot copy, reprint, or republished any copyrighted or trademarked material.

However, you can describe or discuss that material, excerpt small parts of it for the purpose of discussion, or copy parts of it for the purpose parody. This is known as Fair Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use).

Individual forums or websites might have additional restrictions, and are generally set by the site's private owners and/or business agreements.