PDA

View Full Version : Quick! What kind of treasure could be put in a homeless shelter?!

Qintopon
2012-09-11, 03:50 PM
So bad guys (aka the homeless people) threw out the priests of Moradin and took over the homeless shelter making it a temple to Erbin (bad guy) and the party needs to clean up their mess... any treasure items that you can help with would be awesome...please tell me how much such items would be worth... Thanks

Krazzman
2012-09-11, 03:56 PM
Let the leader have a Blunderbus (is that written right?).

On another note: What level is your party, what CR's are the encounters?

Akeii
2012-09-11, 03:57 PM
An Iron Flask. The clueless homeless people were using it to drink booze all that time.

Qintopon
2012-09-11, 03:59 PM
is there a dnd 3.5 version of a Blunderbuss?

Teh_das
2012-09-11, 04:09 PM
mundane treasure works wonders. crowbars, lockpicks, other tools. masterwork if the CR is high enough, and if the bums are particularly larcenous.

Krazzman
2012-09-11, 04:17 PM
is there a dnd 3.5 version of a Blunderbuss?

I think there is one in a faerun book (the one about Lantan). At least there is the Lantanian Pistol...

Malroth
2012-09-11, 04:21 PM
A painting worth 30,000 GP the Hobos are using as a window, any area of effect fire or acid spells during the battle automatically ruin it.

Rubik
2012-09-11, 04:23 PM
One of the homeless people could have tattoos written in an archaic language [such as Draconic], as well as extremely intricate markings which, when deciphered, turn out to be a treasure map and cryptic clues.

Next adventure, ho! Make sure there's enough treasure to cover this adventure, as well.

EpsilRon
2012-09-11, 04:47 PM
Bottomless Bean Tin - Works like an Everlasting Ration ... Hope you like beans..

Lucky Begging Cup - +30 Profession(Begger)

Helm of Unpenatrability - Expertly crafted tin foil hat. Blocks divination effects as lead.

REALLY Dirty Coat - provides a contenuous Endure Elements effect. Smells though...

kitcik
2012-09-11, 05:18 PM
The treasure of restoring the shelter to the homeless... priceless.

Karoht
2012-09-11, 06:09 PM
The treasure of restoring the shelter to the homeless... priceless.
Win.

I like the dirty coat and bottomless bean tin. Awesome.

A friend of mine was once attacked by a hobo while working at a Canadian Tire. He went out back behind the building to go and check the contents of one of the freight trailers. Just as he exited the door, a wooden arrow lodged into the wall. The mark on the wall is still there to this day. He sees a hobo using clip-on roller skates from the 50's, holding a wooden longbow, skating towards him and lining up another shot from the longbow, screaming something incomprehensible. He runs back inside, gets the manager, they both grab baseball bats from the sporting good section. They then call the police, and go outside to try and confront this guy. They don't find him. They do find one of the trailers open, and about 4 cases of soda missing. Under the trailer they find his 'nest' in which they found his longbow, wooden arrows (not modern fiberglass arrows), his rollerskates, two wedding dresses, 5 umbrella's, and an entire backpack filled to the brim with german naughty magazines (organized into separate tupperware containers).

Your party may want the longbow. Maybe the skates. Not so sure about the rest.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-11, 08:03 PM
One of the crazy hobos rambles about his "lucky blanket" and how he'd never trade anything for it, and how a Wizard gave it to him, but the Wizard was really the Queen in disguise, who was his real mother, who didn't tell him this of course, but he swears up and down he "knew it from the look in her eye".

The story is probably made up, of course. But the stinking tattered rag detects with an aura of transmutation, occupies the shoulder slot, and gives the wearer 1 luck reroll per day. The collar, if noticed with a Spot DC 20 reads "good luck, my darling".

Psyren
2012-09-11, 08:10 PM
Bottomless Bean Tin - Works like an Everlasting Ration ... Hope you like beans..

Lucky Begging Cup - +30 Profession(Begger)

Helm of Unpenatrability - Expertly crafted tin foil hat. Blocks divination effects as lead.

REALLY Dirty Coat - provides a contenuous Endure Elements effect. Smells though...

You... you're evil :smalleek:

Uhtred
2012-09-11, 09:32 PM
I would think the magic spoon that produces gruel would be standard issue if the shelter was also a soup kitchen, possibly coupled with a wand of prestidigitation to make the gruel more palatable? Maybe a statue that emits a continuous calming effect and prevents hobo knife-fights and drug-fueled rage matches from taking place? Isn't there a magic cauldron in the Dragon Compendium?

danzibr
2012-09-11, 09:42 PM
Win.

I like the dirty coat and bottomless bean tin. Awesome.

A friend of mine was once attacked by a hobo while working at a Canadian Tire. He went out back behind the building to go and check the contents of one of the freight trailers. Just as he exited the door, a wooden arrow lodged into the wall. The mark on the wall is still there to this day. He sees a hobo using clip-on roller skates from the 50's, holding a wooden longbow, skating towards him and lining up another shot from the longbow, screaming something incomprehensible. He runs back inside, gets the manager, they both grab baseball bats from the sporting good section. They then call the police, and go outside to try and confront this guy. They don't find him. They do find one of the trailers open, and about 4 cases of soda missing. Under the trailer they find his 'nest' in which they found his longbow, wooden arrows (not modern fiberglass arrows), his rollerskates, two wedding dresses, 5 umbrella's, and an entire backpack filled to the brim with german naughty magazines (organized into separate tupperware containers).

Your party may want the longbow. Maybe the skates. Not so sure about the rest.
Could totally make a campaign about this.

Karoht
2012-09-11, 09:53 PM
Could totally make a campaign about this.If that story could make a campaign... lets just say I have some doozies that top this.

Coidzor
2012-09-11, 10:02 PM
Have you ever heard of Hobopolis? Might be some items from there that'd inspire you to convert them.

theUnearther
2012-09-11, 10:52 PM
It fills me with both hope and sadness that nobody mentioned the most obvious choice. Drugs. They should find a lot of drugs. (Whether your party considers that "treasure" or not is another issue).

cZak
2012-09-11, 11:19 PM
For dribblings throughout, I' suggest
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179666

metabolicjosh
2012-09-11, 11:35 PM
Well one time i fought this hobo over my lunch at subway. And well he lost because i kicked him in the nuts. So how about tears (liquid pain).

For crafting exp or just normal exp...

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-12, 01:41 AM
So bad guys (aka the homeless people) threw out the priests of Moradin and took over the homeless shelter making it a temple to Erbin (bad guy) and the party needs to clean up their mess... any treasure items that you can help with would be awesome...please tell me how much such items would be worth... Thanks

The possibility of something like this happening is a big part of why such a place would want to keep the amount of high-value:low-mass objects on site pretty low. The homeless rededicating the place to a dark god is a bit of a twist though.

Realistically they could maybe find a couple of well crafted wooden or pewter holy symbols, a box of everlasting rations in the kitchen, and maybe a few trinkets in the manager's office. You might have a bit more luck if there's an attached chapel. That'd have some silver and possibly even some electrum symbols and fixtures, and maybe a minor magic item of religious significance.

The drugs suggestion is probably a no-go. The people that actually go to shelters are usually either clean or trying to get clean.

The drugged out homeless tend to wallow in their misery in the streets and alleys of the city.

Of course that's all if you're shooting for realism. If not, by all means take somebody elses suggestions.

Vizzerdrix
2012-09-12, 02:36 AM
Have you ever heard of Hobopolis? Might be some items from there that'd inspire you to convert them.

How's this for a loot list? (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Hodgman,_The_Hoboverlord) :smallbiggrin:

and an entire backpack filled to the brim with german naughty magazines (organized into separate tupperware containers).

Dibs. :smallredface:

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-12, 03:56 AM
Newspaper shoes, cold resistance 15.

Finger-less gloves, can cast fireball 3/day to warm hands.

Starbuck_II
2012-09-12, 09:12 AM
Newspaper shoes, cold resistance 15.

Finger-less gloves, can cast fireball 3/day to warm hands.

I dont know, firebal can't set things on fire: what about Flaming sphere, produce flame, or Firestorm?

EpsilRon
2012-09-12, 09:55 AM
You... you're evil :smalleek:

Welp... i guess its a good thing i didn't make the coat an intelligent item then.

In case your wondering it would have been chaotic neutral with a special power of protecting the homeless that would have had a modified detect treasure effect that instead detected baked goods. It then would have activated a modified levitate to float the wearer twards the nearest unguarded window sill cooling pie... that would have been wrong i guess...

kitcik
2012-09-12, 11:28 AM
Cart of holding?

shadow_archmagi
2012-09-12, 03:23 PM
Indiana Jones has taught me that random homeless people are a loot all of themselves!

Now come along, Shortround!

ericgrau
2012-09-12, 05:47 PM
Cursed items aside, I have a hard time seeing how homeless would have anything valuable. Cool mundane stuff, maybe, but not valuable. Or it must be really hard to notice its value even after owning it for a while and waving it around. Though you could have a lot of fun with cursed items. Especially the kind that might take a sane middle class person and turn him into a raving mad hobo who wants to take over a church...

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-12, 10:34 PM
I dont know, firebal can't set things on fire: what about Flaming sphere, produce flame, or Firestorm?

You are mistaken. Fireball is one of only a few fire spells that specifically calls out that it -does- catch things in the target area on fire, assuming they're not reduced to ash by the initial fire damage that is.

Inglenook
2012-09-13, 09:42 AM
--Amazing story here--
This may possibly be the greatest thing I've ever read.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-13, 10:21 AM
You are mistaken. Fireball is one of only a few fire spells that specifically calls out that it -does- catch things in the target area on fire, assuming they're not reduced to ash by the initial fire damage that is.

Wow. So casting Fireball inside a wood building pretty much guarantees it's burning down unless there's a really good fire department nearby.

Are there rules for how fast fires spread?

asuev
2012-09-13, 11:32 AM
Indiana Jones has taught me that random homeless people are a loot all of themselves!

Now come along, Shortround!

I laughed so hard at this.

Also, +2 sharpened toothbrush of shanking?

ericgrau
2012-09-13, 12:24 PM
Wow. So casting Fireball inside a wood building pretty much guarantees it's burning down unless there's a really good fire department nearby.

RAW only seems to give the dangers of fire and smoke (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire). Some googling basically says it varies, but doubling in size every 2 minutes is a good rule of thumb and fire departments often say 1 minute or less to be conservative (in case of drapes and such, I suspect). That basically means the fire doesn't spread enough to be worth tracking in combat; maybe +20% by the time a 5 round fight is over meaning the fireball fire radius only goes up by 2 feet. If you assume it doesn't spread at all for fight purposes you're close enough. Or after 4 rounds you might say it catches the adjacent drapes for flavor and that's it. But a few minutes after combat and the whole building is engulfed.

Likewise players could hold their breath in the smoke much longer than a fight, but they'd want to leave the building soon after.

Btw a great spell for putting out fires is sleet storm. You have to fudge a bit to guess the limits of its capabilities, but IMO if you put out the fire right after the fight it should work. And druids have quench of course. The big advantage sleet storm has is that it's already my favorite level 3 combat spell so you don't need to blow an extra spell slot to get utility on top of combat. It's as if grease and widened solid fog crossbred, then went down a spell level then said "hey, let's force weather-based concentration checks to cast too!" There are few problems that can't be handled with liberal application of sleet storm.

BRC
2012-09-13, 12:43 PM
Juggle these numbers as you see fit.
One of the Hobos (Mumbling Harry) has a Journal, filled with what appears, at first, to be incomprehensible scrawl, but is in fact an ingenious arcane formula. Reading the book requires a DC 15 Intelligence Check. Success gives a +1 caster level for one hour, failure Gives you a -2 to intelligence for one hour or until you go take a nap to make the headache go away.
Another hobo has a jug of Liquid Thunder, containing twenty Swigs. Taking a Drink requires a fortitude save of 10 +5 per Drink (You can take up to five Drinks as a standard action). Failure means you are Sickened for 1d4 rounds per drink taken. Success gives you 10 Temporary Hit Points per drink for ten minutes, because once you survive Liquid Thunder, NOTHING will kill you.
Under no circumstances should you combine Liquid Thunder with fire.

Rubik
2012-09-13, 01:28 PM
Under no circumstances should you combine Liquid Thunder with fire....which means, of course, that it's the first thing that any self-respecting adventurer would try.

BRC
2012-09-13, 01:54 PM
...which means, of course, that it's the first thing that any self-respecting adventurer would try.

There would be no survivors.

ericgrau
2012-09-13, 02:32 PM
Sweet! So what's the drawback?

BRC
2012-09-13, 02:50 PM
Sweet! So what's the drawback?
There is none. It's basically the perfect tool for adventurers everywhere.

The real question is, what happens when a Red Dragon drinks Liquid Thunder.

TuggyNE
2012-09-13, 04:10 PM
The real question is, what happens when a Red Dragon drinks Liquid Thunder.

Widened Explosive Intensified apocalypse from the sky?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-13, 04:19 PM

There's a section in DMG2 about the hazards of being in a burning building.

Stormwrack has pretty specific rules for fire spreading in a structure (the rules reference ships, but the only real difference between a ship and a building is that one floats.)

Do remember however, fire damage does 1/2 its normal value against objects before applying hardness. A 10d6 fireball does an average of 12.5 damage against a wooden object: (35/2)-5=12.5, 35 being average for 10d6 and wood having hardness 5.

theUnearther
2012-09-13, 07:06 PM
The drugs suggestion is probably a no-go. The people that actually go to shelters are usually either clean or trying to get clean.

The drugged out homeless tend to wallow in their misery in the streets and alleys of the city.I suddenly and mysteriously feel the need to defend myself. This is not a homeless shelter anymore. It has been taken over by evil worshippers of an evil god.
Who are also homeless, yes. But they didn't kick the priests out to start behaving, so they can still have drugs.

Also remember that drugs are... weird... in dungeons and dragons.

Rubik
2012-09-14, 02:59 PM
I suddenly and mysteriously feel the need to defend myself. This is not a homeless shelter anymore. It has been taken over by evil worshippers of an evil god.
Who are also homeless, yes. But they didn't kick the priests out to start behaving, so they can still have drugs.

Also remember that drugs are... weird... in dungeons and dragons.Doesn't sound like they're homeless anymore if they're living in an evil temple.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-14, 03:56 PM
I suddenly and mysteriously feel the need to defend myself. This is not a homeless shelter anymore. It has been taken over by evil worshippers of an evil god.

Also remember that drugs are... weird... in dungeons and dragons.

Drugs are also gods-awful expensive in D&D.

But I take your point, since these are the "bad" homeless we're talking about, it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. It'd still be a fairly low volume though.

Karoht
2012-09-14, 04:45 PM
Newspaper of Shelter
100% Waterproof and unaffected by winds.
Makes a portable shelter for 4 people in under 10 minutes.
Makes a portable shelter for 10 if one has a cardboard box to augment newspaper.
With a command word it turns back into a perfectly organized newspaper. It is always that day's news, and selects a random local publication. It always appears in a language the user can understand.
Can also be worn under a coat or shirt and acts as body armor. +1 AC, no armor check penalty, and doesn't take up a slot. If this is the character's only armor, treat it as +4 AC. Counts as Light armor.
Rolled up it can be treated as a +1 Club, and can also function in every way identical to a Sap.

Last Laugh
2012-09-14, 06:30 PM
How about a hobo code translation book?
It fits, and would allow the pcs access to information for a long time. Maybe not the best information. but still.