PDA

View Full Version : Combat Trapsmith Fixes

Menteith
2012-09-11, 04:51 PM
Title says it all - does anyone know of a decent fix for the Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel)? I know that the Trapsmith (Dungeonscape) exists and is better in almost every way, but I'm trying to create a character who doesn't rely on spells, and works solely from traps. I could homebrew something of my own, but if there's anything that's already been reviewed, I'd really appreciate taking a look at it. Thanks in advance!

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-11, 05:59 PM
Honestly, the Combat Trapsmith is pretty good. The traps are a whole lot better than Dungeonscape's Trapsmith traps. Granted, the Trapsmith's spells are pretty awesome, but you can do a lot of fun things with Combat Trapsmith.

To me, there are two big flaws with the Combat Trapsmith, that I would address with the DM if I were looking for a fix:

1. DC scaling. This is the bigger issue. The DCs wouldn't be an issue if it was a 10-level PrC, but as a 5-level class, the highest DC will be 15 + Int. Ability Focus helps, but adding in a feat tax is never really a solution for somewhat underpowered prestige classes. If you made it 1/2 character level instead, that would be a pretty hefty improvement.

2. Flying characters. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that the Combat Trapsmith can only set traps at ground level. If I were DMing, I might instead change that rule to requiring something to set the trap against - a wall, tree, etc. It's a minor thing, but it makes a difference in the mid to high levels.

Another minor annoyance I have with the Combat Trapsmith is that it requires Craft (Alchemy) as a skill, but it can't, as written, actually create alchemical items other than its traps. For flavor's sake, I might add in an ability at first level that a Combat Trapsmith can use Craft (Alchemy) to create alchemical items, even if it is not a spellcaster.

Diovid
2012-09-11, 09:13 PM
Another minor annoyance I have with the Combat Trapsmith is that it requires Craft (Alchemy) as a skill, but it can't, as written, actually create alchemical items other than its traps. For flavor's sake, I might add in an ability at first level that a Combat Trapsmith can use Craft (Alchemy) to create alchemical items, even if it is not a spellcaster.
That point can be elevated by also taking levels in Trapsmith which is a good thing if you're a dedicated trapper. Although this goes against what the OP wants. Maybe flavor the spells as some non-magical ability?

What does the rest of your build look like OP? Personally I think Earth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#earthKobolds) Kobold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kobold.htm) is great for this (enhanced (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) of course).

2 levels of Kobold Paragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a) gets rid of one of the more annoying features of being a Kobold. Using the 1st Kobold Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=3http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=3) substitution level, the martial rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) variant and rogue's quick fingers ACF from Dungeonscape could also be beneficial.

Finally a dip in Marshal for Motivate Intelligence and levels in Exemplar could really help with trapfinding, disabling and making.

As for feats, here are some you might like:
Apprentice (Craftsman) - DMG II
Extraordinary Trapsmith - RotD
Craft Expertise - Dragon Magazine #339
Guerilla Trapsmith - Dragon Magazine #342
Combat Tinkering - Dungeonscape
Trap Sensitivity - Dungeonscape
Trap Engineer - Dungeonscape
Trap Mastery - Dragon Magazine #347

Zaq
2012-09-12, 12:37 AM
Basically, as I see it, the Combat Trapsmith has two major issues. First, the DCs are all wonky. Have them be based on your Craft result (similar to the proper Trapsmith, perhaps with some tweaks), or at least based on your ranks in Craft (not sure of the best formula, but you'll figure something out). Second, standard-action trapping should be the default, or at least come online at level 2. Since traps are so friggin' location-dependent, it's nearly impossible to make full-round action traps worthwhile every single encounter. You should definitely be able to move and trap pretty much from the get-go.

Fix those problems, and the class is solid. Not caster-level powerful, but it's not meant to be, and I think it'll fulfill its archetype.

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-12, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah, another thing that irks me a bit... the glitterdust trap should also blind, as the glitterdust spell. As written it just outlines invisible enemies and gives them a penalty to hiding, which anyone with a bag of flour could do. Add in blinding, and you have traps that can give a variety of negative statuses - blindness, deafness, sickened, fatigued and asleep.

Menteith
2012-09-12, 07:07 PM
Here's what I've tentatively come up with; if anyone wants to PEACH, I'd appreciate it!

Alterations
Ability - Combat Trapping
Crafting a combat trap requires a full-round standard action (which provokes attacks of opportunity) and a Craft (trapmaking) check.

Some combat traps allow a saving throw, as noted in a trap’s entry. The save DC is 10 + your combat trapsmith level + your Int modifier 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Int modifier. Locating or disabling a combat trap requires a successful Search or Disable Device check with a DC equal to 20 + your combat trapsmith level + your Int modifier 20+ 1/2 your character level + your Int modifier.

Ability - Improvised Materials
You can craft combat traps from raw materials at hand instead of relying on your combat trapsmith’s kit. Doing so increases the Craft (trapmaking) check DC by 5 but otherwise has no effect on the trap’s potency. Beginning at 4th level, doing so no longer increases the DC of the Craft check.

Ability - Expert Trapsetter (Ex): At 5th level, you can set a combat trap combine and set two combat traps as a standard action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If the traps have different DCs to create them, use the higher of the two.

Traps - General
- The Craft (Alchemy) requirement for learning a given trap has been removed.

- A Combat Trapsmith may voluntarily increase the DC to create a trap by 10 in order to extend its duration to 24 hours or until triggered.

- A Combat Trapsmith may voluntarily increase the DC to create a trap by 10 in order to increase the area affected by the trap. If the trap previously affected an area, double the area affected. If the trap previously affected a single square, it now affects that square and all adjacent squares.

- A Combat Trapsmith may voluntarily increase the DC to create a trap by 5 in order to increase the difficulty of the saving throw offered by 2. A Combat Trapsmith may do this multiple times (For example, they may increase the craft DC by 15 in order to increase the saving throw DC by 6).