PDA

View Full Version : Moving out!

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-11, 06:56 PM
So I might be renting a house with my buddy soon, and I was wondering on thins I should be prepared for. We've got things like internet, cell phone, rent, food/groceries, transportation (for me mainly biking :P), was wondering if I'd missed anything else.

Bill Murphy
2012-09-11, 09:17 PM
So I might be renting a house with my buddy soon, and I was wondering on thins I should be prepared for.

Be prepared for your Buddy to move out and stick you with all the bills. I'm not saying that is going to happen, just be prepared in case it does.

Coidzor
2012-09-11, 09:25 PM
Might be prudent to refresh your memory on minor maintenance/repairs so you don't have to call a plumber because someone broke a knob on a faucet.

Work out what the good routes are in and out of the neighbourhood and from that end of town to your main set of destinations so that you learn them sooner rather than later in case of a pinch.

Set up a system for conflict resolution, chore allocation, and what to do about dishes sooner rather than later, before moving in if possible.

snoopy13a
2012-09-11, 09:51 PM
Utitilies--heat, electricity, water--if they aren't included in your rent.

You'll also need stuff like dishes, pots, pans, and some sort of furniture.

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-11, 10:02 PM
Be prepared for your Buddy to move out and stick you with all the bills. I'm not saying that is going to happen, just be prepared in case it does.

I'd like to hope that won't happen, but you've given me something to think about.

Might be prudent to refresh your memory on minor maintenance/repairs so you don't have to call a plumber because someone broke a knob on a faucet.

Work out what the good routes are in and out of the neighbourhood and from that end of town to your main set of destinations so that you learn them sooner rather than later in case of a pinch.

Set up a system for conflict resolution, chore allocation, and what to do about dishes sooner rather than later, before moving in if possible.

First and second aren't problems (yay for having parents who make you fix everything :P) and I currently live near where we'd be renting.
Third I hadn't thought of, thank ya.

Utitilies--heat, electricity, water--if they aren't included in your rent.

You'll also need stuff like dishes, pots, pans, and some sort of furniture.

They're included, (luckily). I'm surprised I hadn't thought of dishes... :P

Lady Moreta
2012-09-11, 10:07 PM
Deciding what to do if one of you goes away for an extended period of time is important as well.

In my first flat, we had a rule that if you went away for any reason (for instance, I went away for two/three weeks for a uni field trip) you still paid your rent, but you didn't have to pay power/water/internet etc for the time you were away.

Also, renter's insurance could be a good thing to look into.

snoopy13a
2012-09-11, 11:06 PM
And, of course, you'll need the most important item:

Toilet Paper :smalltongue:

Having utililtes included is nice because it eases budgeting--you don't have to worry about earmarking money in summer to pay your heating bill in January.

Also, if you're renting the entire house, find out if you're responsible for lawn care (assuming there is a lawn). Mowing a lawn requires a lawnmower or hiring someone to do it for it.

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-11, 11:52 PM
Deciding what to do if one of you goes away for an extended period of time is important as well.

In my first flat, we had a rule that if you went away for any reason (for instance, I went away for two/three weeks for a uni field trip) you still paid your rent, but you didn't have to pay power/water/internet etc for the time you were away.

That's a good idea, though I think I'm the only who'd be gone for more than a week. :P

Never heard of renters insurance will look in to it. Thank you.

And, of course, you'll need the most important item:

Toilet Paper :smalltongue:

Having utililtes included is nice because it eases budgeting--you don't have to worry about earmarking money in summer to pay your heating bill in January.

Also, if you're renting the entire house, find out if you're responsible for lawn care (assuming there is a lawn). Mowing a lawn requires a lawnmower or hiring someone to do it for it.

Hehehe, I have more than enough stocked up for zombie survival... (And just cause it never hurts to have a stockpile...) :P

It's a duplex, so I'll check, but it probably says we do the lawn care.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-12, 12:16 AM
It would pay to look into renters insurance... I don't know about over there, but in NZ I know that, say, if a rental place burned down, the owner was only able to claim insurance on the propery if the renters themselves had insurance.

Also, make sure you know what you are and aren't allowed to do if something breaks. You say you'll be okay with making minor repairs yourself, but you'll want to make sure you're actually allowed to do so before you go ahead and do something. I don't know exactly why - probably something to do with liability in the face of someone who isn't a professional at whatever, doing repairs, but I know that over here (Australia) there is very little we're actually allowed to do ourselves. For most things, the rental agency/owners prefer that we simply call them and they arrange it. And bear in mind, this means that the owner/agency pays for the repairs themselves. You might be better off in the long run going this route, that way, you don't have to pay for anything (if you had to buy parts for instance). If you are going to/and are allowed to, make repairs yourself, make sure there's a way for you to get reimbursed for any costs you may put out. You don't want to get yourself turned into a free maintenance man, you're already paying rent.

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-12, 12:27 AM
It would pay to look into renters insurance... I don't know about over there, but in NZ I know that, say, if a rental place burned down, the owner was only able to claim insurance on the propery if the renters themselves had insurance.

Also, make sure you know what you are and aren't allowed to do if something breaks. You say you'll be okay with making minor repairs yourself, but you'll want to make sure you're actually allowed to do so before you go ahead and do something. I don't know exactly why - probably something to do with liability in the face of someone who isn't a professional at whatever, doing repairs, but I know that over here (Australia) there is very little we're actually allowed to do ourselves. For most things, the rental agency/owners prefer that we simply call them and they arrange it. And bear in mind, this means that the owner/agency pays for the repairs themselves. You might be better off in the long run going this route, that way, you don't have to pay for anything (if you had to buy parts for instance). If you are going to/and are allowed to, make repairs yourself, make sure there's a way for you to get reimbursed for any costs you may put out. You don't want to get yourself turned into a free maintenance man, you're already paying rent.

Hmm.. I'll look in to renters Insurance, as for repairs, I had that down to ask if they were self, or provided, though being a duplex it's usually self (well in my town anyways), however I'll look in to it more.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-12, 06:35 AM
Hmm.. I'll look in to renters Insurance, as for repairs, I had that down to ask if they were self, or provided, though being a duplex it's usually self (well in my town anyways), however I'll look in to it more.

At the very least, you'll want to find out where their cut-off point is for what you're allowed to do and what you're not allowed to do. I imagine basic repairs wouldn't be too much of a problem, but if, for some reason, you end up with a hole in the wall or a window that needs replacing, they'll probably prefer a professional fix that. It'll be a liability thing for them (and also possibly a legal one... don't know about there, but here it's illegal to do any electrical work without being a licensed electrician).

Bill Murphy
2012-09-12, 08:01 AM
Did you know those $20 a day moving vans cost $80+ tax to insure for that day?

If the heat is electric I would walk away.

You said a house. Who maintains the yard?

If you have credit card debt that you cannot pay off this month, you might want to stay home rent free until you can.

How much do you make in a 4 week period?

Here is a list of basic bills that people pay. Keep in mind that rent can be put into more than one name but the rest is registered under one person. So split them up.

Rent
Gas
Electric
Sewage (water)
transportation (gas, car insurance, train, bus, cab, friend, hellicopter, whatever...)
Food

*optional*
Phone
TV (paid TV)
Internet
Entertainment (going out)
Paid subscriptions

Make sure you know what your monthly living expenses are going to be. Make sure your friend has also thought this through.

Hbgplayer
2012-09-12, 10:24 AM
Don't forget the little stuff that you probably take for granted at home now, such as:

Shower Curtains
Shampoo/Soap
Dish Soap
Bed Sheets
Pillow cases
etc

I've heard of a lot of people not thinking about things like that until they have moved in.

Yora
2012-09-12, 10:29 AM
We had a thread just like that about half a year or so ago.
Everything from there should apply here as well.

Edit: actually quite more than one. But here's the one I meant: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227771

GnomeFighter
2012-09-12, 11:10 AM
Hide a roll of toilet paper under your bed. Nothing worse than realizing that the last of it has gone and you have not been told!

Give your parents a spare key as they are close, just incase you lock yourself out.

Do an inventory and take pictures of everything when you move in, preferably with the landlord/agent there, so they don't try and rip you off on the way out for damage already done.

Don't stress too much. If something annoys you talk about it rationally with the person you are living with without flying off the handle. Unless it is that they used the last of the toilet paper and did tell you.

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-12, 11:27 AM
Don't forget the little stuff that you probably take for granted at home now, such as:

Shower Curtains
Shampoo/Soap
Dish Soap
Bed Sheets
Pillow cases
etc

I've heard of a lot of people not thinking about things like that until they have moved in.

The army has prepared me for everything there but shower curtains. :P

Thank you all for the help :)

Bill Murphy
2012-09-13, 11:02 PM
LOL! When I moved out on my own I also didn't think of shower curtains.

I ended up paying $30 for something I thought was worth $5.

Here is a tip, after years of buying cheap plastic $10 shower curtain lining (the inside that keeps the water in, not the decorative outside one) I splurged $13.99 for a fabric hotel quality one. It's machine washable and I've had it for over two years while the plasic ones last about 6 months before they are coated with soap scum. :smallconfused:

Vizzerdrix
2012-09-15, 12:04 PM
Have an agreement for dealing with long term guests that could turn into freeloaders. A good rule of thumb is if they sleep over more than a week worth of time in a month, they should pony up some cash to help with rent.

Get a lock box/ Fire safe of some sort and a lock on your bedroom door. If this person is a good friend, buy them the same setup as a house warming gift so they don't feel insulted. Nothing is worse than having something important go missing and wondering if your roomy or one of their guests filched it. It will also help if someone breaks in. They'll have to get past at least three doors (or two and a window) and carry off two heavy fire safes.

Anarion
2012-09-15, 12:32 PM

I know you already mentioned looking into renter's insurance, but I too want to emphasize this recommendation. It can cover not just the place, but all your stuff as well, sometimes even if it's not lost in the actual apartment depending on the policy you get.

Also, if I might humbly suggest something, if your roommate has an annoying habit, I suggest pointing it out calmly and politely early on. The alternative is festering until it drives you absolutely crazy. I speak from experience here.

nedz
2012-09-16, 10:54 AM
LOL! When I moved out on my own I also didn't think of shower curtains.

I ended up paying $30 for something I thought was worth $5.

Here is a tip, after years of buying cheap plastic $10 shower curtain lining (the inside that keeps the water in, not the decorative outside one) I splurged $13.99 for a fabric hotel quality one. It's machine washable and I've had it for over two years while the plasic ones last about 6 months before they are coated with soap scum. :smallconfused:

You can wash the plastic ones in a washing machine set to 'delicate' or 'cold'. You don't need to use soap.

shawnhcorey
2012-09-16, 03:32 PM
Renter's insurance is a the top of the list.

Things like phone, internet, cable, personal-hygiene items should all be paid for by each person separately.

Get in writing who pays for what and when. If your buddy complains, tell him you're making the same commitment. If he keeps complaining, consider not moving in with him. Add a paragraph about what happens and who is responsible for what if one of you should move out before the other.

Talk to the landlord about leasehold repairs and leasehold improvements and make sure the lease agrees with them.

Winter_Wolf
2012-09-17, 07:05 AM
How good a feel do you have for each others' lifestyles and habits?

Is one of you clean freak or a slob? I'm neither, but I won't (and didn't, when I had housemates) clean unless I feel it is dirty. But be a sport and if you use something in the kitchen, clean it promptly. As in, as soon as you're done using it. This is a very obvious exception to my general"if it ain't dirty, don't bother" attitude. Because it's the kitchen. It's always dirty.

Is one of you a heavy partier or planning to be? 'Cause this is a big source of friction. Especially if it's "spur of the moment". If you've got to work at 6am the next day and your housemate comes in late at night to keep a party going, well personally I would have a problem with that. You probably don't want to be that person, either.

Borrowing and/or sharing. What's off limits? What's restricted to explicit permission? I once lent a large box of my RPG stuff to people who I assumed were my friends for the summer. In the fall every single piece of my collection was gone. Every. Single. Piece. And I was called an "Indian giver" (exact words) when I inquired as to the whereabouts of my stuff. Most of which was either 1E AD&D or indie stuff that couldn't be replaced. :smallmad: The point of my rant: At least make sure your name is on it and easily identifiable if you lend out something, and ideally specify the length of time it's okay to use.

Basically, a written gentlemen's agreement signed by both of you about common courtesy and trying to get along without trying to eventually kill each other. You'll have your expectations for each other set down (make copies for each of you), so there won't be as much "what the hell?! You never said anything about X!" Things will probably crop up anyway, but hopefully not as much.

A side thing, you'll probably notice that you and your housemate start spending a lot less time with each other. Because you're living together and will be seeing each other all the time, even when you don't particularly want to. Instead of "hey let's do something" you might find more "I'm going to do [an activity], see ya!"

prufock
2012-09-17, 07:53 AM
One best piece of advice I can give: "Get it in writing."

I'm assuming you've signed a lease. MAKE SURE your landlord does a walkthrough with you when you move in or shortly after, and make note of any and all things wrong with the place that, if not noted now, might cost you your damage deposit when you move out. Get that in writing. Have him sign it to acknowledge it. Usually tenants' boards have a list you can print out from their website, but if not, make your own. Take pictures of any problem areas.

Second, if only one of you and the roommate are on the lease, make sure you have a written agreement about bills. This can save you a headache down the road.

It might sound paranoid, but it will ensure you don't get screwed over when you move out.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-17, 07:55 AM
A side thing, you'll probably notice that you and your housemate start spending a lot less time with each other. Because you're living together and will be seeing each other all the time, even when you don't particularly want to. Instead of "hey let's do something" you might find more "I'm going to do [an activity], see ya!"

Unless you lived with my flatmate (well one of them) who I think spent more time in my room than his. Then again, he was a social butterfly who didn't handle solitude very well, and as we were the two with the lightest schedules and consequently were at home the most often, we tended to spend a lot of time together, simply by virtue of the fact that we were both at home and he couldn't handle being on his own.

Which is probably something to consider - if you're the private type and you like your room to be just that, you might want to make sure that you each know the other's bedroom is off-limits unless you're invited in. My flatmate used to just barge on in all the time, but if my door was closed, he always knocked first.