PDA

View Full Version : What Fictional Character Would Have The Worst Time In Silent Hill?

Leliel
2012-09-11, 07:17 PM
Simple enough.

In a hypothetical crossover, what character from what fiction would have the most traumatizing, harrowing experience in Silent Hill, keeping in mind the trials the town runs people through and monsters it throws are personalized to the visitor?

For the purposes of this thread, supernatural or preternatural prowess is discounted-either the town debuffs/removes said abilities (the Tardis doors are mysteriously welded shut), or buffs its own challenges to compensate (Batman now faces Cyborg Ninja Monsters) to pose at least a moderate challenge to said visitor.

So, what character possess the mental scars and guilt profound and deep enough to provide the most fuel for the town?

I nominate, well, the Doctor from the Ninth onward. When the needed extermination of your entire race is one of the things that is middling on your Regret-o-Meter, I suspect you'll need a still need decade or two of therapy if you get the best ending. Which he, being the Doctor, certainly will, but still.

Barring that...Take your pick of any Space Marine Primarch. Or hell, the GEoM himself.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-11, 07:24 PM
I can almost see your point with the doctor, but he's been dealing with those issues too successfully for too long.

It's a different issue with the Primarchs and especially the God-Emperor of Mankind, who could likely expect to break the hill into tiny pieces with the sheer force of their will and/or psychic might.

Oooh, James Bond would be a good one. Sexually aggressive, destructive lifestyle when not actively working on life-threatening cases, frequent killer and bereaved husband.

dps
2012-09-11, 07:41 PM
Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-09-11, 07:48 PM
The Doctor could be good, but I wouldn't bet too much on a happy ending. His show has as many massacres and TPKs as victories.

I will say, Redcloak from OotS (as if there's another Redcloak). Lest we forget
he murdered his little brother and still works for the guy who murdered (through inaction) his nephews and nieces as well as hundreds of other Goblins who he claims to cherish. He also caused the deaths of thousands of Hobgoblins during the Battle for Azure City, and probably has a little guilt left over from the original massacre that killed his mother, father, and baby sister.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-11, 07:51 PM
The whole attack the doctor via his own regrets/guilt thing, though, he's been there, done that several times over already though, I'm pretty sure. It's not something he would be unprepared to deal with.

Conversely, Shaggy is so psychologically simple, essentially innocent, I can only imagine he'd have a quite easy time of it. But still be absolutely terrified of course.

Forum Explorer
2012-09-11, 07:57 PM
I'm going to go with Harry Dresden. He's had to do some horrible things which he never really got around to confronting.

Leliel
2012-09-11, 08:03 PM
It's a different issue with the Primarchs and especially the God-Emperor of Mankind, who could likely expect to break the hill into tiny pieces with the sheer force of their will and/or psychic might.

For the purposes of this thread, supernatural or preternatural prowess is discounted-either the town debuffs/removes said abilities (the Tardis doors are mysteriously welded shut), or buffs its own challenges to compensate (Batman now faces Cyborg Ninja Monsters) to pose at least a moderate challenge to said visitor.

You were saying?

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-11, 08:08 PM
Ah, nevermind. The Primarch's and Emperor are indeed pretty fair game then. (Though as far as physical challenge goes, it'd have to buff them so far for that crowd that the psychological element kind of loses it's focus, which is a shame as some of them have some meaty issues to get into.

The Doctor remains well suited to dealing with the Hill, however.

Eldan
2012-09-11, 08:19 PM
I'm going to go with Harry Dresden. He's had to do some horrible things which he never really got around to confronting.

I just wanted to say that. He spent ages getting over what happened to Susan Rodriguez. Several times. And Karen Murphy. Also several times. And Molly. And tons of other people.

Science Officer
2012-09-11, 08:29 PM
I'll go with Rand Al'Thor. Dude practically does it to himself.
Regrets everyone who's died for him or that he's used (but especially the women for some reason) and constantly reminds and heaps guilt upon himself. Also he's the reincarnation of a guy who killed his family and everyone close to him, and he has a tremendous duty to perform. It all ways fairly heavily on him.

Note: I have not read past Crossroads of Twilight.

ArlEammon
2012-09-11, 09:44 PM
Golbez from FFIV/Dissidia.

turkishproverb
2012-09-12, 01:01 AM
I've said it before: It seems the more personal issues come to silent hill, the more it grows and expands.

Batman comes to silent hill, half the country becomes a hellmouth.

Feytalist
2012-09-12, 01:34 AM
Shinji Ikari.

Heh.

HKR
2012-09-12, 02:52 AM
Basically every character from Breaking Bad. Especially Jesse Pinkman, because of his mental instability.

Kitten Champion
2012-09-12, 03:47 AM
Makoto Itou, School Days.

Would be the most enjoyable too, from my perspective.

GolemsVoice
2012-09-12, 03:48 AM
Harry Potter from before the end of book 7? His friends are basically the only thing keeping him sane and functioning most of the time, and often only barely. Remove the friends, throw him into the hellscape of Silent Hill, observe.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-12, 03:49 AM
Spiderman could be pretty bad too. Lost his family, lost his uncle through his (lack of) actions, *killed* one of his girlfriends accidentally while trying to save her in a rare instance of deceleration being a factor in comics, lost his marriage in a deal with the devil which failed, made said deal with the devil.
He puts up a brave face with many a merry quip, but kid, kid's got issues.

Eldan
2012-09-12, 04:04 AM
I've said it before: It seems the more personal issues come to silent hill, the more it grows and expands.

A propos Hellmouth, half the main characters from Buffy.

Cespenar
2012-09-12, 05:28 AM
Roland Deschain would be interesting.

Or Ender Wiggin, maybe.

Eldan
2012-09-12, 05:30 AM
Or Ender Wiggin, maybe.

Gentlemen, we have reached Peak Angst.

VanBuren
2012-09-12, 05:31 AM
Basically every character from Breaking Bad. Especially Jesse Pinkman, because of his mental instability.

Walt manages to rationalize it all so intricately that for all purposes he has no guilt.

Tergon
2012-09-12, 05:51 AM
Professor Charles Xavier.
Think about it. He's an exceptionally powerful telepath, but he can be trumped by magic, which Silent Hill essentially is. And he's carrying the guilt of what happened to each and every person who suffered because of what he's done, from his best friend to his brother to his son to his students, depending on the incarnation. And you just know that some of the Silent Hill denizens would be able to use the telepathic connection against him.

Also, for comedic value with a dark twist: Dr. McNinja. If you need to ask why, you have a webcomic to read, and then I promise you'll know why it'd be epic.

Killer Angel
2012-09-12, 06:18 AM
Also, for comedic value with a dark twist: Dr. McNinja.

If we go also for comedic value, I name Detective Adrian Monk.

Man on Fire
2012-09-12, 08:40 AM
Thorfin from Vinland Saga, especially the one from current chapters, after character development kicked in, i mean, his nightmares already looks like something from Silent Hill.

I don't know about Guts from Berserk, on the one hand he had enough character development to actually be tortured by his mistakes, on the other isolate him from his friends and beloved and throw more monsters at him and he'll probably just revert back to Black swordsman, or even let the Beast take over, and that bastard would feel way to at home in Silent Hill.

Also, I see your Harry Dresden and raise John Constantine.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-12, 08:59 AM
The last person on the ISG Ishimura to die, before Issac gets there.

Seriously, the Necromophs get to the player pretty badly. Imagine how bad it would be for someone who's had all his shipmates die, from zombies that look like mangled car wreck victims, who are also still stalking and are out to kill you.

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-12, 08:59 AM
Batman would spend the entire time looking for Scarecrow.

Wolverine would just be confused and not know what the hell was going on.

Cyclops would have to deal with all the poor decisions and general jerkness he's committed under what I consider to be bad writing.

You know what I'd love to see though?

Silent Hill VS The Joker.

Jeivar
2012-09-12, 10:01 AM
You know what I'd love to see though?

Heh. Let's see him try the insanity plea against Pyramid Head. :smallamused:

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-12, 10:09 AM
Thing is, would he even generate anything like Pyramid Head? He's not really internalised his demons in the way I'd expect necessary for Silent Hill. He's externalised them, acts them out gleefully and is fully in touch with it all.

It seems equally likely that it just ends up with him as the King of Joker-Hill or something.

Dienekes
2012-09-12, 10:14 AM

I don't know. Silent Hill builds on guilt, regret, and emotions that the entree has repressed and needs to confront right? Well, the Joker doesn't have any of that. The most the Hill would throw at him would be how horrible a person he is. Well, he knows, and he finds it absolutely hilarious.

Well depending on writer of course, Alan Moore's Killing Joke definitely had the Joker have something when he thinks back to what he was before his incident. But more often than not, he just laughs at what a loser he was, if he even feels he was the schmuck comedian, and not the gangster, or chemical engineer, or sociopath.

Also on the Doctor. I think he actually could lose this one. The Doctor always sort of half deals with all the things he's had to do, and friends he's left behind because he feels he has to to deal with the monster of the day and save his current companions. If he's all alone with nothing at stake but himself, I can see the end for him.

The Succubus
2012-09-12, 10:25 AM
Speaking of Alan Moore, it'd be interesting to see the Watchmen in Silent Hill. Of particular attention would be Rorshach (?sp) and The Comedian. Dr Manhattan would also bear close scrutiny.

I wonder what how Kain from the LoK series would cope. Remember that he was human once, with all the regrets and conscience that involves and in the original game, it was possible to have a "Good" ending. I think it's one that would have to go to the judges.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-12, 10:31 AM
Actually, the watchmen aren't a bad idea. But I think there's a better target than Rorshack and the Comedian.
Post-Series Nite-Owl.

Man on Fire
2012-09-12, 10:41 AM
How about Deadpool? Wade has some serious issues hidden under that insanity of his and he can be easily written as Sad Clown type of wacko, who just act like a moron, because he wants to be loved. Not to mention that girlfriend of his Sabretooth stuffed into the fridge he never avengerd.

In fact, pretty much most of X-men-related characters are messed up in many ways city could use.

And what about characters who are quite demonic, like Spawn or Ghost Rider? they have a lot of personal issues but also a lot of power and are probably used to things like this.

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-12, 11:00 AM
How about Deadpool? Wade has some serious issues hidden under that insanity of his and he can be easily written as Sad Clown type of wacko, who just act like a moron, because he wants to be loved. Not to mention that girlfriend of his Sabretooth stuffed into the fridge he never avengerd.

In fact, pretty much most of X-men-related characters are messed up in many ways city could use.

And what about characters who are quite demonic, like Spawn or Ghost Rider? they have a lot of personal issues but also a lot of power and are probably used to things like this.

Spawn and Ghost Rider have already seen their share of hellspawn, so Silent Hill probably wouldn't be as bad to them as someone who doesn't deal with that kind of thing on a regular basis.

Deadpool would just make jokes the entire time, but that'd be bad for us because then Silent Hill would have a way past the fourth wall.

AnarchyBeast
2012-09-12, 11:21 AM
Interesting topic.

I would be interested in seeing Elric from the Elric Saga in Silent Hill. He's sickly and wouldn't have any magic or his sword to aid him. He's killed those he loved and drove his race to near extinction iirc. In fact I don't think he would make it out. He'd die to the first monster he faced. Poor guy!

I wonder if he would be reincarnated:smallcool: or if Silent Hill would prevent it since it stops magic. That might end up being a blessing to him.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-12, 11:32 AM
Deadpool would just make jokes the entire time, but that'd be bad for us because then Silent Hill would have a way past the fourth wall.

And gentleman, we have a winner for most horrifying outcome.

Dienekes
2012-09-12, 11:34 AM
Here's one for anyone who reads Joe Abercrombie, Glokta and Logan Nine-Fingers.

Glokta is one of the most skilled torturers in the kingdom, utterly ruthless, a murderer, and filled completely with self loathing over the greatness he feels he's lost as well as disgust over what he does for a living, which he rationalizes away by random acts of kindness, which he recognizes as himself attempting to rationalize away his guilt and feels that makes him even more pathetic somehow.

Logan Nine-Fingers or the Bloody Nine is one of the most feared men in the world over his youth as the violent champion in a growing kingdom. He also has bouts of Frenzied Berserker style insanity. But despite this he's attempting to atone for his life of violence, but continues to find he can't get away from it, and he may have been even more horrible than he let's himself remember.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-12, 11:35 AM

And gentleman, we have a winner for most horrifying outcome.

chiasaur11
2012-09-12, 11:41 AM
Spiderman could be pretty bad too. Lost his family, lost his uncle through his (lack of) actions, *killed* one of his girlfriends accidentally while trying to save her in a rare instance of deceleration being a factor in comics, lost his marriage in a deal with the devil which failed, made said deal with the devil.
He puts up a brave face with many a merry quip, but kid, kid's got issues.

He does, but he wrestles with them pretty often. Parker's seen every possible variant on his guilt, including the supernatural ones. He's done this before, and he knows how to deal with it. Blind, unflinching determination. Scream becomes a yawn.

There's nothing buried. All that guilt is safely out in the open.

My vote?

Jack Bauer. He's done some insanely horribly things in defense of his country. Murdered his friends, tortured, let innocent people die to finish the mission. And he knows it was wrong, but never can see another way, and buries his guilt deep every time another job comes up.

(Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure pulling this sort of thing on The Doctor is just asking to suffer a fate worse than death. Putting him in terrifying places tends to kill them stone cold dead.)

Terraoblivion
2012-09-12, 05:30 PM
Anthy Himemiya. Anybody who has seen Revolutionary Girl Utena in full should know why. Still, I'll explain why in spoilers and trust me these will be genuine, major spoilers for the show.

The start of her story involves being neglected by her twin brother because he was too busy going out and being heroic, watching him all but work himself to death that way and then getting lynched trying to protect him from a mob complaining that he hadn't solved their problems too. Then after that, she got trapped in eternal torment by her own guilt and shame, while sleeping with her thoroughly broken brother hand having given up on the entire world. In assisting him in becoming whole she has had to reduce herself as a prize to be fought over by various abusive individuals, watch him seduce others and sleep with them as well as being heavily implied to assisting in murder of people who gets in his way. Then once Utena actually manages to take her away from said abusive people and treat her with friendship, she continues to aid her brother in his plans, even as he seduces Utena and tries to break her spirit, culminating in Anthy betraying and stabbing Utena in the final battle. All the while it is implied that Utena and Anthy might be in love with each other.

So Anthy somewhere during the least episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena sounds like a pretty worthy candidate for most messed up person around.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-12, 05:40 PM
Jack Bauer. He's done some insanely horribly things in defense of his country. Murdered his friends, tortured, let innocent people die to finish the mission. And he knows it was wrong, but never can see another way, and buries his guilt deep every time another job comes up.

On a similar note, Dexter, and I don't mean the one with the lab.
Though, strictly speaking, I suppose they both have labs.
Back to Superheroes, how about Superman?

The Second
2012-09-12, 06:02 PM
Mitsuko Souma from Battle Royal... well, had she lived anyway. Whether you look at the novel or the manga, the girl had serious issues even before being placed on an island and killing half a dozen of her classmates.

Second choice would be Doctor Gregory House. Drug addiction, narcissism, egotism, all wrapped up an a big ball of self loathing.

Someone mentioned Shinji Ikari from Evangellion but I would rather choose Asuka Langley Soryu. Another girl with serious, serious issues. Where Shinji would likely just curl up in a ball and cry, however, Asuka would fight against the Hill.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-12, 06:09 PM
Asuka and House? Now those are good, meaty choices for the Hill. I agree on shinji, much like Adrian Monk, there's fuel for the Hill to use but they are too likely to die really soon and really easily.

Eldan
2012-09-12, 06:15 PM
How about Simon the Digger? Similar to Shinji, if not quite as broken, and with the right amount of fighter, deep down, to make this interesting.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-12, 06:25 PM
Simon, once again, lacks the kind of dark psychological elements that give Silent Hill it's edge. Even Kamina (With his near crippling fear of the concept of mortality, daddy issues and barely controlled lust) would be a better choice.

comicshorse
2012-09-12, 06:44 PM
Here's one for anyone who reads Joe Abercrombie, Glokta and Logan Nine-Fingers.

Glokta is one of the most skilled torturers in the kingdom, utterly ruthless, a murderer, and filled completely with self loathing over the greatness he feels he's lost as well as disgust over what he does for a living, which he rationalizes away by random acts of kindness, which he recognizes as himself attempting to rationalize away his guilt and feels that makes him even more pathetic somehow.

Logan Nine-Fingers or the Bloody Nine is one of the most feared men in the world over his youth as the violent champion in a growing kingdom. He also has bouts of Frenzied Berserker style insanity. But despite this he's attempting to atone for his life of violence, but continues to find he can't get away from it, and he may have been even more horrible than he let's himself remember.

Or for a nightmarish result Bayaz, First of the Magi. Problem there is he might just end up in charge

TechnOkami
2012-09-12, 07:06 PM
I'd kind of like to see how Silent Hill would handle Arthas from the Warcraft games.

That and the Wanderer from Shadow of the Colossus.

Ooh, oh! Lucy from Elfen Lied.

Man on Fire
2012-09-12, 07:21 PM
How about some Gundam characters? Amuro, Camille, Domon, Heero, Kira, Flit - all of them have serious issues and don't even get me started on supporting character or antagonits like Char.

Also, D-Boy from Tekkaman Blade - guy has so many reasons to angst that he makes many characters he is in SRW with look like whiny losers (in J when you compare him to anybody, including one of two main characters and two resident Gundam Protagonists, he comes out as the most beaten up by life).

While we're at mecha, there are few possible candidates in Code Geass, biggest of them all being of course Lelouch, because after all the things he had done through those 50 episodes, all the manipulations and betrayals, and all he went through - that all left huge mark on him, both from his guilt and from his suffering. other likely victims involve Mao, C.C., Karen, Oughi, Shirley, Rollo and Nunally.

Chirico Cuvie from Armored Trooper VOTOM may be another good choice, he is a shell-shocked veteran - won't blink while he shoots you, but the haunting memories of horible things he had done may turn him into a complete wreck.

If alternative character interpretation is allowed, Gai, main character from GaoGaiGar, one holding the title of King of Braves - some belive he may have some strong problems with being head on a top of robotic body, he just doesn't angst nad keeps them to himself, because he is a nice guy. But deep inside he doubts he may have normal life and is trying to push his love interest, Mikoto, away, beliving she deserves better man.

Which would explain why in final episode his declaration of love for her gives so much energy to courage-fuelled G-Stone it destroys the big bad. That was his final act of courage, the greatest one of them all - accepting his feelings.

Creed
2012-09-12, 07:22 PM
Alright, got it. Mad Max. Let's see the Road Warrior fight his own mind, without a car no less.

Also, Snake. No, not the Metal Gear one (but that's not a bad idea either). Snake Plissken!

The Second
2012-09-12, 07:23 PM
I'd kind of like to see how Silent Hill would handle Arthas from the Warcraft games.

That and the Wanderer from Shadow of the Colossus.

What about Snake/Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. Or any Snake from any Metal Gear for that matter.

Urist
2012-09-12, 07:33 PM
Roland Deschain would be interesting.

Or Ender Wiggin, maybe.

Roland, +1,000,000. The man has uncounted past lives worth of guilt to deal with, and his self hate for the sacrifice of Jake, and the deaths of the rest of his old Ka'Tet would eat him alive.

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-12, 07:37 PM
Angel from the eponymous show, maybe? A couple centuries of heinous misdeeds followed by a very acute sense of morality and mortal terror at the thought of actually being happy should give the Hill a lot of ammunition, and he's almost incapable of surrendering. Seems like a good fit.

Kvothe from the Name of the Wind might work, too. I mean, he's already a broken shell of a man as a result of what appears to be a life utterly filled with hardship and sorrow.

Oh, wait, I've got it. The entire cast of Drakengard. Yup, that should do it.

Misery Esquire
2012-09-12, 07:38 PM
You were saying?

The GEoM is still a very well stoic, calm, collected guy. Pre-Throne, anyway. After-Throne he's a bit nuts. But also a city sized pyramid. Not much to do with him Throne'd. I guess you can show him how to be a proper caring father, which might confuse/startle him into getting up. :smallconfused:

The Primarches on the other hand, are a bundle of Daddy Issues and OCD.

Other Suggestions ;

Master "I Almost Accidentally The Galaxy" Chief (Halo)... Well, okay. He would probably just try to shotgun everything.

Gordon Freeman (HL2) Just don't give him a crowbar, and this should be... unusual.

Artyom (Metro 2033)... Well, I don't know. He just seems like a guy who has, had, or will develop some problems. And/or radiation poisoning.

Chell (Portal) Welcome to the death testing chamber, you deranged parttime employee.

Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell) The sheer number of people he's strangled, shot, and hit over the head in very personal manners probably needs a good psychiatrist bill.

Amnesia Guy (Amnesia Dark Descent) You know what, he's already lived through a horror story.

Jallorn
2012-09-12, 08:10 PM
I might suggest Renegade Shepard, since one interpretation I've heard is that Shep is running from his/her failures with a ruthlessness intended to keep them from happening again. Depending on the backstory it can be particularly poigniant. Your colony was wiped out by Batarian Slavers, and you could do nothing. Then your entire squad was killed by a thresher maw, and once again, you're the only one who survived. Then you lose what's his face, then either Kaiden or Ashley, and possibly Wrex. And there's the possibility to lose almost your entire team and still escape the Collector Base. Yeah, there's plenty there.

Traab
2012-09-12, 08:16 PM
Itachi Frigging Uchiha. The man had to choose between his family and his village. He slaughtered everyone he ever cared about, tortured his little brother so bad he went insane over it and turned traitor, when the goal was to make him determined to kill him and restore his clan to honor, then had to pretend to join forces with madera/tobito and carry out all sorts of heinous crimes just to keep his cover. Dude is a bucketload of issues that he never really dealt with.

chiasaur11
2012-09-12, 10:34 PM
On a similar note, Dexter, and I don't mean the one with the lab.
Though, strictly speaking, I suppose they both have labs.
Back to Superheroes, how about Superman?

Superman could snap Hell itself over his knee. (Issue 666, Superfans!)

I said the Doctor would eventually leave Silent Hill broken. But he'd go through a few lifetimes of agony first, and I pity anyone else sent in with him. Odds on bet that everyone else in the town dies in agony. Big Blue Boyscout?

He'd arrive in the middle of someone else's nightmare, and he saves everyone. Guys like him, Captain Marvel, and Carrot Ironfoundson are the exact right kind of incorruptible for handling a place like this.

(Vimes would win too, but that's because he's Sam Vimes. He at least has the material to make something nasty.)

Shepard is an interesting case. Immovable object versus irresistible force, and she provides both. Think victory goes to a case by case breakdown, with failsheps getting taken out pretty early.

Venom3053000
2012-09-12, 10:38 PM
i wanted to go with shinji but people already said him and now the only person who comes to mind is vash the stampede don't know why he just comes to mind

Fallen Angel
2012-09-12, 10:57 PM
Fluttershy. Granted, it would be Silent Cloudsdale instead. or just the 'Junior Flyers' camp.

Any psychologically weak character.

Jason Vorhees, if only because he's a six year old who hates liars and sex. (And those nurses and Pyramid Head....) That and the powerlessness in SH.

chiasaur11
2012-09-13, 12:06 AM
Aang and Korra (From Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel) have had points where they really wouldn't do well.

Aang's got survivor's guilt like crazy, he's terrified by his responsibilities, there's massive conflict between his job description and his conscience.

Meanwhile, Korra's got three parts bravado and heroic facepunching to one part anything else, ever, but she's also got a real problem with powerlessness. She's been The Avatar since she was three years old. Everything about her is tied to that.

When that's threatened, she tends to have some issues.

Yes, Korra As Of The Finale decided that, no matter what, she was going to keep living, but it was a close thing. I mean, yes. Full Avatar Bridge To The Spirit World Korra would be fine. Avatar Aang, hero of the world and inventor of energybending is also fine. Scared kid Aang and cocky streetfighter Korra? Less fine.

zlefin
2012-09-13, 12:21 AM
i don't know about worst; but rusty venture would have quite a time of it, as would a lot of the other people on the show.

Cespenar
2012-09-13, 06:45 AM
What about Sam Vimes?

GolemsVoice
2012-09-13, 06:52 AM
I don't know. The books always make a point out of Vimes incredible mental strength and perserverance. He HAS issues, but he also fights them constantly, and wins.

Brother Oni
2012-09-13, 07:07 AM
Also, I see your Harry Dresden and raise John Constantine.

Early days, post Ravenscar, I'd agree with you.

Older John - given that's he's been to hell at least once, I don't think Silent Hill would have much to threaten him with.

Jallorn
2012-09-13, 09:34 AM
I kind of like the idea of Batman being greeted as an old, if uncomfortable, friend by Silent Hill. I think he's got to be extremely intimately aware of all his demons.

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-13, 09:51 AM
Alternate Batman scenario:

Batman and Silent Hill stare each other down, despite Silent Hill not really having much to speak of in the way of eyes.

Silent Hill blinks first.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-13, 10:04 AM
Alternate Batman scenario:

Batman and Silent Hill stare each other down, despite Silent Hill not really having much to speak of in the way of eyes.

Silent Hill blinks first.

But...but.... The Hills have eyes!
Bad joke is bad.

Traab
2012-09-13, 10:15 AM
But...but.... The Hills have eyes!
Bad joke is bad.

They are also alive with the sound of music! Sure its creepy music in this case, but still.

worse joke is worse

McStabbington
2012-09-13, 10:19 AM
Jesse Custer from Preacher.

Or the Saint of Killers, if you want to amp Silent Hill's power up to an Alpha Quadrant-class hellmouth.

Xondoure
2012-09-13, 02:41 PM
Christopher Robin already idealizes his stuffed animals into friends. I can quite easily imagine the Hill addressing his friendless reality.

Winnie the Pooh would probably do well so long as he didn't get too hungry.

Piglet would have a hard time due to being easily scared even though there's not much the Hill could use.

Rabbit has to have some trauma in his past to make him so uptight.

Kanga would spend the whole time freaking out over whether Roo was safe or not.

Owl would attend university lectures beyond his comprehension and despair.

Tigger... Poor Tigger. So alone in the world, so eager to ignore his problems. He'd suffer the worst.

Yora
2012-09-13, 02:46 PM
Harlan Wade from FEAR.

Look at what happened because of his bad descisions even with Silent Hill not being involved at all. :smallbiggrin:

"It is the way of men to make monsters...and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

Shinji Ikari probably would make a bad candidate. NGE is pretty much the whole world as his personal Silent Hill. Anything that the town could throw at him would probably be just the things that already happen to him.

Ooh, oh! Lucy from Elfen Lied.
Oh yes, that character is pretty much "no remorse, no mercy" manifested. And still she cares a little bit, which would be what makes it all horrible the most.

What about Snake/Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. Or any Snake from any Metal Gear for that matter.
The entire Patriots-thing already was the result of his regret and grief. And that went horribly, horribly wrong. Silent Hill on top of that would really be most horrible.

Though I'm not so sure how well it would work for the town. Admiting to past errors is something most characters do very freely and I think forcing to face them is what Silent Hill really does.
Showing them what awful people they have been wouldn't do much. They already obsess about it all the time.

That said: Naomi Hunter
Now THAT woman has a lot she needs to justify. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-09-13, 03:09 PM
Frank Castle. That is a man with a lot of guilt rage and pain inside him. His actions since becoming the punisher must also leave a mark on him. I wonder how well he would do in silent hill?

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 03:20 PM
What about Sam Vimes?
Four words . . .
*inhale*
THAT'S
NOT
MY
COW ! ! !

Man on Fire
2012-09-13, 04:17 PM
How about wrestlers? Not real people, but their ring personas - almost every single one has mayor issues or is a terrible person, even most of top faceshave some history of being psychopaths or backstabbers. Kane himself is so messed up I don't know if even Silent Hill could figure out what is his problem.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 04:20 PM
Frank Castle. That is a man with a lot of guilt rage and pain inside him. His actions since becoming the punisher must also leave a mark on him. I wonder how well he would do in silent hill?
Gods, I hope the Hill chews him up and swallows the bones.:smallannoyed:

Jeivar
2012-09-13, 04:51 PM
Tony Montana: Rage, shallow greed and materialism, alienated from his mother because of his life of crime, and disturbing feelings towards his sister. Throw in his coke habit and gradual destruction of his life and everyone who cares about him, and Silent Hill would have a lot to chew on.

On a somewhat lighter note, what about Ash from the Evil Dead series? Yes he can take a lot of abuse but he's also too dumb to have much of a chance of escaping, so he'd be in for a slow, gruesome process.

paddyfool
2012-09-13, 04:53 PM
Dean and Sam Winchester... although, like various other occult-themed characters, they've been there before.

River Tam, pre-Serenity? Or perhaps the Agent from Serenity, at the end?

Harry Potter from before the end of book 7? His friends are basically the only thing keeping him sane and functioning most of the time, and often only barely. Remove the friends, throw him into the hellscape of Silent Hill, observe.

From that work, I'd say that Snape, around the beginning of book 7, might be a better bet.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-13, 04:57 PM
The doctor will pull a giant dues ex machina from his bum and cure everybody who appeared in silent hill forever.

But I know who WOULDN"T have a hard time in Silent hill. SAMUEL VIMES!

Hes a tortured man, but a man of strong will and good heart. He would totaly kick the hills arse!

Cen
2012-09-13, 05:27 PM
The doctor will pull a giant dues ex machina from his bum and cure everybody who appeared in silent hill forever.

the deus ex part is true, but I don't know if you are aware how rare 'Everybody lives' ending is in NuWho? (it's very very rare)

I don't know if this was suggested - Edward Elric? At the beginning of manga he is full of issues and regret (losing his brother's body, failing in restoring his mother etc)

also: original Dream of the Endless - he is so sorry about things he had done that whole his comic is him plotting his suicide

Water_Bear
2012-09-13, 06:56 PM
Angel from the eponymous show, maybe?

Ugh. I like Angel, both in Buffy and (to an infinitely greater extent) on his own show, but he is a master of turning tragedy into boredom. Putting him in Silent Hill would create a Wangst singularity to rival any bad anime.

I also want to second the House suggestion. Silent Hill works best with people who can't defend themselves physically (disabled old guy) and have tons of baggage and little hope (story of his life). Putting someone like John Constantine or the Doctor in messes with the horror because they aren't going to be very far out of their elements; Silent Hill is scary, but a lot of the characters mentioned have literally been to Hell (or a local equivalent).

Traab
2012-09-13, 07:49 PM
Michael Corleone. His entire young life he wanted nothing to do with the family business. He was a war hero, a respected guy, all of that. Then he got sucked into the life when his dad got shot. Then he took over. Soon he was whacking people left and right, even his own brother. Lying to his wife, committing god only knows how many hundreds or thousands of crimes. I wonder what sort of things would be brought out by silent hill for him? Especially since aside from his army training, he doesnt exactly have alot going for him stuck alone in a survival horror world.

dps
2012-09-13, 09:54 PM
Ohh--Ethan Edwards from The Searchers.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-14, 03:18 AM
the deus ex part is true, but I don't know if you are aware how rare 'Everybody lives' ending is in NuWho? (it's very very rare)

Sorry. He will cure a select number of people and let everybody else die because they interfere with his morals:

"The death of 7 Billion people? Thats alright as long as I don't have to kill somebody thats OK"

and lots and lots of ass-kissing from the public.

chiasaur11
2012-09-14, 04:19 AM
Sorry. He will cure a select number of people and let everybody else die because they interfere with his morals:

"The death of 7 Billion people? Thats alright as long as I don't have to kill somebody thats OK"

and lots and lots of ass-kissing from the public.

Uh, seen the latest episode?

You're, uh, you're kind of working with obsolete information.

Latest episode, the villain got straight up first degree murdered.

The Doctor is a very scary person. And 11 has less scruples than 10. Why I like 11 better, among other reasons.

Brother Oni
2012-09-14, 05:20 AM
Jesse Custer from Preacher.

Or the Saint of Killers, if you want to amp Silent Hill's power up to an Alpha Quadrant-class hellmouth.

I don't think Jesse has much in the way of regrets or guilt for Silent Hill to get its hooks into. Any person he's wronged, he tends to apologise and makes right.
He's a very much a black and white, right or wrong, sort of character.

As for the Saint, he's pretty much hate personified, so again not much (if anything) for the Hill to affect.

Cassidy (and possibly Tulip) on the other hand...

Latest episode, the villain got straight up first degree murdered.

The Doctor is a very scary person. And 11 has less scruples than 10. Why I like 11 better, among other reasons.

With regard to the Doctor, I agree with your assessment that 11 has less scruples, but thus far 11 hasn't been as inventive as 10 when he's delivering retribution.
I don't remember 11 doing anything as personal as what 10 did to the Family of Blood for example.

I personally think that 9 when sufficiently riled up would surpass 11 in the lacking scruples department (see 'Dalek'), if his 'run and hide' survivor mindset wasn't still so strong.

polity4life
2012-09-14, 07:45 AM
I'm a bit ignorant to the Silent Hill universe. So what mental and emotional baggage you bring to the town manifests into horrifying, murderous monsters?

I nominate Oh Dae-su from the movie Old Boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy) as the man with the most obscene baggage who would fall apart in seconds upon entering Silent Hill. If you don't know who he is or what the movie is about, follow the link and give it a read.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-14, 08:20 AM
Uh, seen the latest episode?

You're, uh, you're kind of working with obsolete information.

Yet the core will remain the same. Diamanda Hagan/ Yatzee (Though I usualy hate Yatzee otherwise) points out my core problems really well:

The show both feels like an overwroght opera, and something composed by fans. The Doctor isn't treated (Not just by the characters, but also by the music sountrack, and similar things) like a super smart alien, but as the "OMG ITS THE DOCTOR!"

Thats why I like watching the older series more. Even with low budget cheese.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-14, 09:56 AM
You can't cure the people who died in the hill. They're dead. You can't save the people who have already gone, not even the doctor can.

What the doctor would do, if he found himself trapped in Silent Hill is end the hill. Because some things are just too horrible to allow to continue.

Polity4life - I think you've pretty much got the gist of it, yeah.

McNum
2012-09-14, 11:45 AM
A name just popped into my head: Darth Vader

Let's say Darth Vader post The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, he's big, strong and menacing, but he's also full of doubt and self-loathing. Plus, you know, the murders. Killing a lot of children is going to come back to haunt him in the Hill. Literally, I'd think.

Silent Hill would have its work cut out for it, for sure, but Vader has family issues, trust issues, and, of course, hate. He's deluding himself, keeping his past misdeeds at arm's reach while piling more and more on.

Yes, Vader is a combat juggernaut, and it's doubtful that any monsters will get him, but Silent Hill is going to give him a fight. By making him face his past.

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-14, 11:51 AM
A name just popped into my head: Darth Vader

Let's say Darth Vader post The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, he's big, strong and menacing, but he's also full of doubt and self-loathing. Plus, you know, the murders. Killing a lot of children is going to come back to haunt him in the Hill. Literally, I'd think.

Silent Hill would have its work cut out for it, for sure, but Vader has family issues, trust issues, and, of course, hate. He's deluding himself, keeping his past misdeeds at arm's reach while piling more and more on.

Yes, Vader is a combat juggernaut, and it's doubtful that any monsters will get him, but Silent Hill is going to give him a fight. By making him face his past.

Original Trilogy Vader meets Prequel Anakin...

"What the Force is going on here?!"

Jeivar
2012-09-14, 12:44 PM
Oh, what about Rincewind? He's horribly cowardly in general and the Hill could attack him with his incompetence as a wizard.

Man on Fire
2012-09-14, 12:45 PM
also: original Dream of the Endless - he is so sorry about things he had done that whole his comic is him plotting his suicide

Implying Silent Hill isn't a (job of) some runaway dream from his kingdom and doesn't want to stay the hell away from him.

Fallen Angel
2012-09-14, 01:33 PM
Oh, what about Rincewind? He's horribly cowardly in general and the Hill could attack him with his incompetence as a wizard.

Ricewind would be eaten by SH until he excapes from it. In another book he's more cowardly and the wizards find out about SH and travel over to kill it or seal it off; or Death finds out about the undead there, travels there to kill it or seals it off with some seriously more firepower than the Wizards have at their disposal.

Brother Oni
2012-09-14, 02:29 PM
I'm a bit ignorant to the Silent Hill universe. So what mental and emotional baggage you bring to the town manifests into horrifying, murderous monsters?

Pretty much. An excellent example is the second game:

The protagonist smothered his terminally ill wife and his mind has repressed the memory, so that a few years later, when he gets a postcard from Silent Hill ostensibly from his dead wife, he goes to investigate.

All the monsters are generally grotesque but highly sexualised females (http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Bubble_Head_Nurse), representing the protagonist's repressed anxieties and sexual deprivation during his wife's illness. The main exception is the brutally violent Pyramid Head (http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Pyramid_Head), who represents the protagonist's desire for punishment for the murder of his wife and guilt in general.

These are the obvious threats that Silent Hill brings - there's the more subtle ones (the protagonist meets a woman who's the spitting image of the protagonist's dead wife) not to mention the other poor [redacted]s that are also trapped in Silent Hill.

Implying Silent Hill isn't a (job of) some runaway dream from his kingdom and doesn't want to stay the hell away from him.

That's probably one of the best suggestions for Silent Hill I've seen, actually.

Given that Silent Hill is pretty much doing what he intended, unlike the second Corinthian, he may simply say 'good job' and let it carry on.

Yora
2012-09-14, 02:29 PM
Basically yes. Though I think actually that really only drives the plot of Silent Hill 2 and the latest game. The protagonist of all the other games come there for different reasons.
However, in any case the monsters appear to be shaped by the subconsciousness of the person who sees them. But in the end, they all just try to run straight at them and tear them to pieces.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-14, 06:47 PM
Of course the obvious answer for what happens if the Doctor goes to Silent Hill is that he gets the UFO ending.

In a similar, bad-news-for-the-hill style situation, if Discworld did need to send someone into the hill to deal with it, I can only imagine that you could go far worse than choosing Granny Weatherwax.

Jallorn
2012-09-14, 06:50 PM
I think Captain Vimes would be a good one to toss into Silent Hill. Especially during his alcoholic phase.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-14, 10:12 PM
I think Captain Vimes would be a good one to toss into Silent Hill. Especially during his alcoholic phase.
He took on an immortal spirit of undying rage that tried to take him over . . .and won.
Who watches the watchmen?
He does.

The Second
2012-09-14, 11:12 PM
Regarding the Endless, don't send Morpheous, He's already setting an elaborate scheme into motion that ulimately ends with his death. Rather, send either Desire or Thessally. Both deserve some Hill style retribution.

Mystic Muse
2012-09-14, 11:26 PM
Is it theoretically possible to destroy/end the Hill, or is it just because the Doctor is the Doctor?

Tvtyrant
2012-09-14, 11:27 PM
Assuming you cannot simply defeat the monsters/ghosts... Silver Surfer. He is-was he beacon for a living extinction event, but unlike said event he has the ability to feel empathy. The weight of billions, maybe even trillions of lives weighs down on his soul.

chiasaur11
2012-09-14, 11:38 PM

The hill would be lucky if he was drunk.

Drunk means he can hide from injustice and corruption. Drunk also means the world, generally, seems like a decent place. He's not going to cause much trouble drunk.

But Silent Hill doesn't seem the place that'd let a fellow sink into pleasantly drunk irrelevance. In other words, it wouldn't leave well enough alone.

Vimes? He's normally Knurd. He sees reality more clearly than anyone else. Silent Hill creates an illusory reality to punish people. Now, can anyone see the possible problems there? He's bringing an actual sword to a nerf fight.

Even ignoring that, he's tough as nails, smart as a whip, and stubborn as they come. He's the second to last man you want to face in a fight, and the second is only because, if you surrender, he'll take you in by the book.

On a similar note, I'd love to see Jenkins from Atomic Robo in Silent Hill. You'd think that he'd be in for a nightmare, what with the whole morally-ambiguous-commando-who-has-seen-more-people-die-from-monsters-than-he's-killed-and-he's-killed-a-lot-of-people thing.

But given what happened when he met Azathoth, it's more likely he'd leave Silent Hill crying for mommy.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-14, 11:57 PM
Assuming you cannot simply defeat the monsters/ghosts... Silver Surfer. He is-was he beacon for a living extinction event, but unlike said event he has the ability to feel empathy. The weight of billions, maybe even trillions of lives weighs down on his soul.
Heh, reminds me of what happened what when Ghost Rider turned his penance stare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs) on Galactcus.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-15, 12:25 AM
Heh, reminds me of what happened what when Ghost Rider turned his penance stare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs) on Galactcus.

Basically like that, yeah. Living apocalypse+guilt=flawless victory.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-15, 01:29 AM
Basically like that, yeah. Living apocalypse+guilt=flawless victory.
I wonder what it would build for him. Certainly not some small town covered in fog.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-15, 01:51 AM
I wonder what it would build for him. Certainly not some small town covered in fog.

Welcome to the rest of your life! :smallbiggrin:

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles/a170_Gunkanjima2.jpg

Like that but filled with monsters.

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 05:25 PM

Maybe just emptiness?

Smart_alec
2012-09-15, 09:59 PM
El' Mariachi (before the events of Once Upon a Time in Mexico).
A mostly unexplored guilt complex, he's sheets to the wind without anybody to support him, he's borderline suicidal and places more import on his guitar than he does the people around him. As far as I'm concerned that's a natural choice. (And it would be kind of awesome to see Silent Hill with a music motif.)

Mister Teatime (The Hogfather).
To quote TV Tropes; "He has a wonderful mind, like a shattered mirror - all facets and rainbows, glittering and sparkling. But ultimately, you can't get around that it's something broken."

Hobbs (from Calvin and Hobbs) or the Green Haired Girl (from minus.)
Their... Shall we say ephemeral nature? Makes them odd choices but I do think that it's an interesting one. They're a projections (maybe) themselves and despite that they show significantly more depth of character than their source. (Should you chose to take them as individuals in their own right and if you don't then their lack of true autonomy could actually be the selling point here.)

They're entire role is to challenge and aid a child who is unable and unwilling to grow up... And I don't have the time to think this through properly at the moment. I may come back to this.

And because everybody else is mentioning superheroes; Kitty Pryde. (Preferably at the end of Joss's run on the Xmen.)

I nominate Oh Dae-su from the movie Old Boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy) as the man with the most obscene baggage who would fall apart in seconds upon entering Silent Hill. If you don't know who he is or what the movie is about, follow the link and give it a read.Amen.

Oooh, James Bond would be a good one. Sexually aggressive, destructive lifestyle when not actively working on life-threatening cases, frequent killer and bereaved husband.
Agreed. The Dalton Bond especially.

Feytalist
2012-09-17, 02:25 AM

The novels' Bond especially. Much more emotionally unstable, much more ruthless, much more destructive.

And no gadgets.

Kris Strife
2012-09-19, 09:09 AM
I'd like to suggest Dragonball Z's Vegeta, with his mix of hatred, anger, pride, jealousy, ruthlessness, fears, sadness, and regrets, he seems like he'd make great fodder for Silent Hill.

Aotrs Commander
2012-09-19, 12:43 PM
I'd like to suggest Dragonball Z's Vegeta, with his mix of hatred, anger, pride, jealousy, ruthlessness, fears, sadness, and regrets, he seems like he'd make great fodder for Silent Hill.

Well, aside from the fact that without a serious boost to the hill, Vegeta would probably just go off on one and blow up the entire planet by accident, or Silent Hill in it's entirity if it was lucky...!

Morph Bark
2012-09-19, 12:50 PM

While he'd work better than Connery and Moore for sure, and Brosnan on account of Brosnan's Bond being the most mature, I'd say Craig's Bond would be more vulnerable and fitting for the Hill than Dalton's Bond.

Tiki Snakes
2012-09-19, 12:52 PM
Well, aside from the fact that without a serious boost to the hill, Vegeta would probably just go off on one and blow up the entire planet by accident, or Silent Hill in it's entirity if it was lucky...!

For the purposes of this thread, the hill has already had a boost and can now somehow nerf characters put inside it or boost it's creatures as relevant.

(Which arguably changes the hill immensely as well as effectively derailing the characters it's done to, but there you go.)

rapter200
2012-09-19, 03:48 PM
I am going to second Sam and Dean Winchester. Both have some very deep and prevailing issues that they just bury deep within themselves. Silent Hill would have a field day with them.

I have two others that I would like to see go through silent hill. The first being Himura Kenshin. A past of slaughtering that has been buried deep within himself should make for an interesting Silent Hill.

Second up is the MC from Shin Megami Tensei II. He kills YHWH. Deicide of such magnitude has got to lead to some sort of awful repercussions in Silent Hill.

Kris Strife
2012-09-19, 04:42 PM
For the purposes of this thread, the hill has already had a boost and can now somehow nerf characters put inside it or boost it's creatures as relevant.

(Which arguably changes the hill immensely as well as effectively derailing the characters it's done to, but there you go.)

This. Also, I think that would make things even worse for Vegeta, considering how much of his self image is tied up in his view of being the strongest.

Metahuman1
2012-09-19, 06:09 PM
Ok, here's one I havn't seen yet.

Matt Mardock. Also known as Daredevil.

Fallen Angel
2012-09-19, 06:13 PM
What about Pyramid Head himself? (Say he's a clone created via freaky mitosis.)

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-20, 09:44 AM
Ok, here's one I havn't seen yet.

Matt Mardock. Also known as Daredevil.

I see what you did there... :smallamused:

But of course I did. I'm not Daredevil.

Douglas
2012-09-20, 10:20 AM
This. Also, I think that would make things even worse for Vegeta, considering how much of his self image is tied up in his view of being the strongest.
Yeah, negating his ridiculous world-shattering power just might be enough all on its own to send Vegeta on the path to complete mental breakdown. It wouldn't be a sure thing on its own, but there's plenty of ammunition from his past to help tip things over too.

Brother Oni
2012-09-20, 12:25 PM
Yeah, negating his ridiculous world-shattering power just might be enough all on its own to send Vegeta on the path to complete mental breakdown. It wouldn't be a sure thing on its own, but there's plenty of ammunition from his past to help tip things over too.

Well it depends. Strip him of his power and he's likely to become non-functional - up the Silent Hill creatures to the same power level as him and he's probably more than happy enough to spend the rest of his life there fighting.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-20, 12:38 PM
What about Pyramid Head himself? (Say he's a clone created via freaky mitosis.)
Is there any reason to think of Pyramid Head as a person?
His actions seem more like those of a beast.
He may be human shaped, but I don't think he's a person.

Kris Strife
2012-09-20, 01:49 PM
Well it depends. Strip him of his power and he's likely to become non-functional - up the Silent Hill creatures to the same power level as him and he's probably more than happy enough to spend the rest of his life there fighting.

In order to keep him in check, wouldn't the creatures all have to become significantly more powerful than him? See the fight against Frieza's final form and the first Broly movie for examples of how that affects him.

Grey Watcher
2012-09-20, 02:34 PM
The entire playable cast of Final Fantasy VI. With the possible exceptions of Gogo and Umaro.

Terra - Her conflicted feelings about her identity and her past as a slave of the Empire. Her yearning for love.

Locke - Rachel.

Edgar - Between the womanizing and his brother, I think the Hill has a decent amount of material to work with.

Sabin - Family issues with Edgar, of course, plus stuff involving Duncan and Vargas.

Celes - More regret over a past with the Empire. Intimacy issues.

Shadow - He's a killer for hire. Between that and the stuff from the dream sequences, I think there's plenty to work with

Cyan - Nothing like being helpless to protect your liege, your homeland, and your family against a homicidal maniac to bring fuel a place like Silent Hill.

Gau - ... though being abandoned in the wild as a child is a decent rival.

Setzer - A little less to work with than most, though his old flying partner (name eludes me) provides some possibilities.

Mog - OK. I've got nothing. Kupo!

Strago - A lifelong rivalry and at least a few dead family members. (Admittedly, I'm having trouble remembering some of his latter-half-of-the-game drama.)

Relm - There's gotta be a reason she's so good at painting monsters.

As for NPCs, well, Kefka has the same problem as the Joker: he'd think of Silent Hill as the perfect resort town. Leo has the same problem as Superman, despite his alleigance, he's just too much of the archetypal good guy to really have much for the Hill to dig into. Gestahl is kind of... undeveloped as a character, so it's hard to say.

DiscipleofBob
2012-09-20, 02:41 PM
The entire playable cast of Final Fantasy VI. With the possible exceptions of Gogo and Umaro.

Umaro is one of the sole survivors of Narshe and has possibly committed several murders of innocents in his past despite being clearly sentient enough to create artistic bone carvings.

Gogo it depends on whether you believe the fan theory that he/she's really Daryl with amnesia or Setzer and Daryl's son.

Leaving his race to help the main group only to find out his entire species was wiped out and that he's the last of his race and one of the few survivors in Narshe.

Strago - A lifelong rivalry and at least a few dead family members. (Admittedly, I'm having trouble remembering some of his latter-half-of-the-game drama.)

Silent Hill should be worried if these two show up. A guy who can absorb and learn the moves of monsters and a girl who can paint herself a copy or take control with a fake moustache. They can literally throw back whatever Silent Hill throws at them.

Fallen Angel
2012-09-20, 04:03 PM

His entire race is dead, probably because he helped Terra and Locke escape and the empire killed them. (Didn't you pick up on the empty living areas in the mines?

Grey Watcher
2012-09-20, 04:12 PM
His entire race is dead, probably because he helped Terra and Locke escape and the empire killed them. (Didn't you pick up on the empty living areas in the mines?

Well, it's been a LONG time since I've played that game past the halfway point. And if you get Mog at the earlier opportunity, those caves are still inhabited.

Coidzor
2012-09-20, 04:52 PM
I don't know. The books always make a point out of Vimes incredible mental strength and perserverance. He HAS issues, but he also fights them constantly, and wins.

I do have to wonder what it would actually throw at him though, given that he's already had to deal with the Darkness living inside of him and has seen it all, basically.

chiasaur11
2012-09-20, 11:38 PM
I do have to wonder what it would actually throw at him though, given that he's already had to deal with the Darkness living inside of him and has seen it all, basically.

A formal request for leniency?

Sutremaine
2012-09-21, 10:23 PM
Vash The Stampede (anime), who has been mentioned but not expanded upon. Carries a lot of guilt about the destruction that follows him everywhere, is hopelessly attached to his dead mother, comes close to killing despite his extreme pacifism, needs other people to pull him out of his regular funks, and hates being alone. For best results, drop him into Silent Hill between Episode 24 and Episode 25.

He does decide to move forward on his own at the end of the series, but the anime doesn't show what happens after the final battle and it's likely to all go horribly wrong soon after Knives wakes up.

darkblade
2012-09-28, 06:23 PM
Some characters I have not seen thrown around yet. All hidden for spoilers.

Princess Celestia (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic):

How does it feel to forsake your own flesh and blood for your Kingdom? Do not think yourself redeemed, you know he'll return.

A kind and benevolent ruler who unbeknownst to most of her subjects banished used powerful magic to trap her sister in the moon for a thousand years. Canon is vague on the specifics but it is clear she harbours a lot of hidden guilt over it. On top of that it is implied that after the Thousand years, letting others use the same magic to purify her sister has allowed even worse monsters to escape their prisons.

Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica):

You haven't saved her and you never will. All you have done is doomed the world with your failure.

At any point between the original timeline and the end of the series Sold her soul to a sufficiently advanced alien to save her best friend's life, only to make things worse in several time lines. To the point where her friend will now not only die but will become a monster worse than the one that keeps on killing her.

Add on the act that if she ever gives into her own despair and gives up she will become a similar monster herself.

Any given Showa era Kamen Rider

You call yourself a hero of justice. For every life innocent life you have saved, how many monsters did you kill? How many of them had families that will never know what happened to their loved one? What makes you the only ones worthy of redemption?

Pretty much all of the Showa era Riders fought other cyborgs like themselves. Also like themselves most of them were kidnapped by the villains and turned into monsters by force. Not that the Riders ever seem to care, they rider kick them all into big explosions just the same as they would any other monster.

Edward Cullen (Twilight)

You claim to love her but you consumed her very soul.

Edward being one of the hundreds of post-Anne Rice self hating vampires hates what he is and what he had to do to survive. Even if he only eats the blood of animals. Despite this he allowed himself to fall in love with a mortal woman. A mortal woman whom he not only later turned into something he views as an abomination but also impregnated her with a half-vampire baby that almost kills her, making the change even more necessary.

Also I think he deserves to be slaughtered by half vampire strippers, ravenous lions and other assorted monsters that could symbolize his lust, hunger and lack of self control because his series is that bad.

Gale Hawthorne (Hunger Games):

The war was over. You had already won. Why did you let them use your weapon?

The war against the capitol was over. The districts had won their freedom but there would always be tension between them and the survivors in the Capitol. The only way to ensure peace after the war was to make it seem as if the Capitol had done something so monstrous that not even it's most loyal citizens could stand behind it. In the aftermath of the final battle, the rebel command deployed a bomb. A bomb with two charges, one that has the initial wave of casualties and then another that takes out the medics. Gale designed that weapon based on concepts for hunting snares, he expected it to be used on the Capitol during the war not like this and not on their own men and women. Particularly since among the victim medics was Primrose Everdeen, the little sister of the girl he loved.

Man on Fire
2012-09-29, 04:06 AM
I have a new one - Rock from Black Lagoon. After the events of series so far the guy is quite frankly broken, considering how many times he tried to save somebody and failed, he cannot accept he's really the bad guy and his idealism is falling apart, as he grows more bitter and cynical.

Hell, a lot of characters from Black Lagoon would have bad time in Silent Hill - Revy, Eda, Roberta, probably Balalaika.

Also, if Robots could be affected by Silent Hill's powers, then Gestich from Pluto, robot policeman who
broke first law of robotics and killed a man.
He is very human for a robot, so much that
After his death his memory chip is used to teach Atom hate, making him fully understand human feelings

A lot of characters from Battle Royale - Souma, Shuuya, Irm and especially Shogo are good targets.

Somebloke
2012-09-29, 04:30 AM
Looking through my game collection...

Silent hill would be wasted on Isaac Clark- he has already had an all-powerful, malevolent psychic force attempt to drive him insane with a resultant epiphany. So by this stage I suspect he would just tell ghost Nicole to stop making drunk phone calls at 2am.

Likewise for the protagonist of Spec Ops: the line. The game essentially IS a silent hill game masquerading as a war shooter, right down to the warped reality and encroaching insanity.

Hmmmm...you know who has a lot of mental trauma and a lot of unresolved issues? Cortana. Interesting to see how her upcoming rampancy would be played out in The Hill.

Uiriamu
2012-09-30, 05:39 PM
Elan definitly

Metahuman1
2012-09-30, 06:43 PM
Chuck Norris. Assuming all the net Jargon is, in fact, true.

Armoury99
2012-10-19, 02:44 PM
Elan definitly

lol.

Actually I think Nale would be a better choice. LOTS of nice meaty issues there.

And Elan as Nale's Pyramid Head, of course... :smallsmile:

Traab
2012-10-19, 07:02 PM
lol.

Actually I think Nale would be a better choice. LOTS of nice meaty issues there.

And Elan as Nale's Pyramid Head, of course... :smallsmile:

(Imagine this in a deep growly voice)

/Pyramid Elan strums a distinctly menacing looking guitar. "Run run run, run from the pyramid head!"

Wardog
2012-10-20, 07:06 PM
Brian the Berserker (Guilded Age)?

The Bhaalspawn (Baldur's Gate)? (Or maybe better still, Imoen, or Aerie?)

Aribeth (NWN OC)?

Any protagonist from an HP Lovecraft story?

Any antagonist from a Loony Tunes cartoon? (Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote in particular).

Wyntonian
2012-10-21, 06:48 PM
Marcone, from the Dresden Files. If you're past... Death Masks, I think, it 'splains a bit of his motivation to be such a colossal ass, and

it doesn't come from a happy place, believe it or not.

Ebenezar, from the same series, would also be interesting.

Also, +1 to Ender Wiggin, Darth Vader, Batman and literally anyone from the 40k universe, no matter how irrelevant or mundane.

Eakin
2012-10-21, 07:26 PM

Terra - Her conflicted feelings about her identity and her past as a slave of the Empire. Her yearning for love.

Locke - Rachel.

Edgar - Between the womanizing and his brother, I think the Hill has a decent amount of material to work with.

Sabin - Family issues with Edgar, of course, plus stuff involving Duncan and Vargas.

Celes - More regret over a past with the Empire. Intimacy issues.

Shadow - He's a killer for hire. Between that and the stuff from the dream sequences, I think there's plenty to work with

Cyan - Nothing like being helpless to protect your liege, your homeland, and your family against a homicidal maniac to bring fuel a place like Silent Hill.

Gau - ... though being abandoned in the wild as a child is a decent rival.

Setzer - A little less to work with than most, though his old flying partner (name eludes me) provides some possibilities.

As for NPCs, well, Kefka has the same problem as the Joker: he'd think of Silent Hill as the perfect resort town. Leo has the same problem as Superman, despite his alleigance, he's just too much of the archetypal good guy to really have much for the Hill to dig into. Gestahl is kind of... undeveloped as a character, so it's hard to say.

I'll see your FF6 and Raise (GEDDIT?!?) you FF4

Cecil would either be the best off or worst off, depending on when the town grabbed him. If he's still a Dark Knight the town's going to have a field day. If he's already turned into a Paladin then he's already struggled with and won against his own inner darkness.

Kain betrays you like, a zillion times over the course of the game because of mind control issues and/or because he's in love with his BFF's girl

Rosa is a white mage... working for a kingdom that's openly slaughtering innocents and in love with a knight who's bombing other countries and wields dark forces. That's gotta be worth a bit of cognitive dissonance

Rydia's mom and entire village were murdered by the party, though inadvertently, then she went to work for said murderers while a child, got pulled into a world full of monsters long enough for her to grow into an adult, then came back and rejoined the party. Her best defense might be that she's been living around monstrous creatures for so long she's immune to whatever grotesque creatures the town throws at her.

Tellah forsook his granddaughter (daughter?) and tried to force her apart from the man she loved which led to her running off and getting killed, then he gave his life to avenge her death... and failed.

Yang lost the entire kingdom he was sworn to protect, but survived

Cid is an engineer who's experiments and weapons were used to murder the innocent and guarantee Baron's aerial superiority

Edge had his parents killed in front of him, turned into monsters, then sicced on him

Golbez get's to face everything he did to his nephew and the entire planet thanks to Zebus.

The twins... are probably fine, actually. So's FuSoYa

Edward just gets called Spoony a lot. Or made fun of for being hilariously ineffectual. At least he'd be good at hiding.

Kris Strife
2012-10-21, 09:07 PM
Yang lost the entire kingdom he was sworn to protect, but survived

Golbez get's to face everything he did to his nephew and the entire planet thanks to Zebus.

Yang's kingdom survived, the castle was damaged and the crystal taken, but his people weren't wiped out. There's even a little side quest involving his wife's frying pan.

And Cecil is Golbez's brother, not nephew.

Eakin
2012-10-21, 09:17 PM
Yang's kingdom survived, the castle was damaged and the crystal taken, but his people weren't wiped out. There's even a little side quest involving his wife's frying pan.

And Cecil is Golbez's brother, not nephew.

Nooooo my old school gamer cred is WITHERING AWAY!

I was doing it from memory, apparently I need to go play FF4 again

Coidzor
2012-10-21, 11:05 PM
Also, Tellah's daughter ran away and he was looking for her when Cecil joined up with him and they were going to get her back and get the crystal at the time, IIRC.

Granted, the fact that he was prejudiced against bards for being... useless, while correct, was what drove her to run away.

Kitten Champion
2012-10-22, 12:12 AM
Granted, the fact that he was prejudiced against bards for being... useless, while correct, was what drove her to run away.

We call them Anti-Spoonites 'round these parts, it's best to hide from them.

Socratov
2012-10-23, 08:09 AM
Hm. different categories.

In the "i am a Wizard" category:
Harry Dresden
Rincewind
Dumbledore (edit)

both have seen far too much while keeping (a shred of) sanity (barely)

in the "Twangst" category:
Ender Wiggins
Uchiha Sasuke (or any uchiha will do here)
Artemis Fowl

All three have seen brutal stuff, done brutal stuff and at least once in a while had a serious case of wangst

In the "not neccessarily for them, but mainly for us" category:
Deadpool
Joker
[any other fourth wall shatterer]

shatter 4th wall -> we're screwed, royally
the joker is a wild card here (pun not intended) since we just don't know what will happen. anything can happen here. either his past catches up with him -> major biological nutrionally drained output hitting the propellor. or nothing happens because he doesn't regret. at all.

Eldan
2012-10-23, 08:17 AM
How 'bout Albus Dumbledore in the "I am a wizard" category? That man blames himself for everything.

Socratov
2012-10-23, 08:31 AM
Good one. I have edited him in. Soon we will be able to host some sort of GitP awards on how screwed up media characters are.

Mx.Silver
2012-10-23, 08:59 AM
The Bhaalspawn (Baldur's Gate)? (Or maybe better still, Imoen, or Aerie?)
In regards to BG2 Jaheira might actually be the most interesting option. I mean we have the dead husband, the potential guilt regarding aforementioned husband that can occur if she starts falling for the protagonist, her strong protective instincts that have largely failed to keep anyone alive coupled with the conflict between her duties as a Harper and her involvement with the protagonist's journey? Yeah, there's a lot of issues there but the main thing is how she deals with them. Whereas Aerie would basically just collapse in a ball of self-loathing and tears - and whatever might be left if Imoen or the protagonist snapped would probably just waltz out of the town happy to have gotten rid of that annoying person who'd been trying to suppress it - Jaheira would keep struggling on because that's the sort of person she is.
Alternatively Yoshimo, especially from around the midpoint of the game. The town would have a field-day with him.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 10:23 AM
Has Jackie Estacado from The Darkness been mentioned yet?

The guy's a hitman, his girlfriend was murdered right in front of him and he literally has the root of all evil inhabiting him. And said evil prevented him from saving his girlfriend. He died. Twice. Is being chased down by a secret society, who crucified him and trapped him in an iron maiden. The Darkness also
prevented him from seeing his girlfriend by trapping him in a mental hospital. In one plotline he can escape to hell to resuce her, though aforementioned girlfriend is actually possessed by the Darkness' mortal foe, who leaves Jackie in hell.

A lot to work with. Though the Darkness might back him up somewhat in darkened areas.

Forum Explorer
2012-10-23, 10:59 AM
Artemis Fowl

All three have seen brutal stuff, done brutal stuff and at least once in a while had a serious case of wangst

Artemis Fowl really? :smallconfused:

He seems to be very emotionally stable and is very smart and determined. What's more is he has confronted most of his issues (by book 4 at least where I stopped reading.)

I'm going to add Katniss from Hunger Games. She has a load of issues to work through and isn't very stable mentally.

Tvtyrant
2012-10-23, 11:04 AM
I'm going to add Katniss from Hunger Games. She has a load of issues to work through and isn't very stable mentally.

Her and her husband too... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE)

Socratov
2012-10-24, 07:44 AM
Artemis Fowl really? :smallconfused:

He seems to be very emotionally stable and is very smart and determined. What's more is he has confronted most of his issues (by book 4 at least where I stopped reading.)

read on. he even develops a psychological condition because of his traumatic stress.

Eldariel
2012-10-24, 12:46 PM
In regards to BG2 Jaheira might actually be the most interesting option. I mean we have the dead husband, the potential guilt regarding aforementioned husband that can occur if she starts falling for the protagonist, her strong protective instincts that have largely failed to keep anyone alive coupled with the conflict between her duties as a Harper and her involvement with the protagonist's journey? Yeah, there's a lot of issues there but the main thing is how she deals with them. Whereas Aerie would basically just collapse in a ball of self-loathing and tears - and whatever might be left if Imoen or the protagonist snapped would probably just waltz out of the town happy to have gotten rid of that annoying person who'd been trying to suppress it - Jaheira would keep struggling on because that's the sort of person she is.
Alternatively Yoshimo, especially from around the midpoint of the game. The town would have a field-day with him.

This is a good point. The hill seems like a prime place for Bhaal essence to just take over and for the character to become the prime candidate to become the Lord of Murder.

Coidzor
2012-10-24, 02:17 PM
Indeed. The Darkness and the Lord of Murder would both enjoy Silent Hill immensely before heading on their way. I think those might both be scenarios where the character entering the town and the town itself both lose.

Forrestfire
2012-10-24, 10:07 PM
read on. he even develops a psychological condition because of his traumatic stress.

A psychological condition that would probably deal with Silent Hill better than Artemis would :smalltongue:

Socratov
2012-10-25, 01:59 AM
A psychological condition that would probably deal with Silent Hill better than Artemis would :smalltongue:

nope, it would be what they call a catalyst :smallamused:

Sith_Happens
2012-10-25, 03:15 AM
How about some FMA characters? Edward Elric, Roy Mustang, and maybe Hohenheim would be the best candidates off the top of my head; either continuity would work, though the first-anime versions probably have a lot fodder to offer (toss-up for Hohenheim because he's an extremely different character between the two).

I'd also kind of want to see what the Hill would throw at manga/Brotherhood Greed.

Coidzor
2012-10-25, 02:59 PM
How about some FMA characters? Edward Elric, Roy Mustang, and maybe Hohenheim would be the best candidates off the top of my head; either continuity would work, though the first-anime versions probably have a lot fodder to offer (toss-up for Hohenheim because he's an extremely different character between the two).

I'd also kind of want to see what the Hill would throw at manga/Brotherhood Greed.

Given what Greed and the other deadly sins are... That rather raises an existential question of whether the Hill would consider them worthwhile to notice or if it indeed could notice them, unless I managed to just miss some metaphysical revelation.

Traab
2012-10-25, 03:41 PM
Given what Greed and the other deadly sins are... That rather raises an existential question of whether the Hill would consider them worthwhile to notice or if it indeed could notice them, unless I managed to just miss some metaphysical revelation.

Yeah, the homunculi are kind of. . . odd. They are supposed to be souless monsters brought back to life by alchemy as twisted mockeries of the humans they were supposed to be. But they are surprisingly easy to mess with mentally, as they each seem to have some serious issues. I think, whats his face, Pride? the fuehrer? would be the hardest to mess with, but that shape shifter envy? Man he is hair triggered, gluttony seems kind of simple minded but I know I have seen him get scared more than once, and lust and wrath have their own hangups. Sloth im not too sure of, I dont really recall her. Greed though, he strikes me as the kind of character that hides a lot of issues behind bravado.

Tiki Snakes
2012-10-25, 07:56 PM
The Homunculi are a little different depending on which adaption you go for.
But I'd argue that regardless of whether you are talking FMA Homunculi or FMA Brotherhood/Manga Homunculi, you'd still have valid targets for the Hill and plenty to work with.

Though, yeah, depending on the particular Humunculi the Hill may have to keep the lesson it's trying to teach a lot less subtle than usual if it wants it's target to have the faintest idea what's going on (which is central to the Hills magical torture goal thing, far as I see).

Coidzor
2012-10-25, 08:33 PM
Well, I don't know if the Hill wants its victims to know what's going on.

It seems like, generally, only the protagonist realizes it, maybe, about 75% of the way through the game and the other victims they may or may not be there with simply don't.

Though I think that's largely skewed by the first game where the victims are just in the wrong place in the wrong time.

Tiki Snakes
2012-10-25, 08:36 PM
Right, but they need to be able to figure it out eventually.
Gluttony? He's going to need some pretty unsubtle hints and some pretty bad penalties/traumas thrown at him or he'll just sit around moping about being hungry/eating everything.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-26, 07:01 AM
The Homunculi are a little different depending on which adaption you go for.

Much more than a little different depending on which ones. Gluttony and Envy are the most similar between versions, though Envy diverges a bit in his motivations. Greed is similar at first, but sticks around much longer in Brotherhood and gets tons of character development to match; vice-versa for Lust. FMA Pride is Brotherhood Wrath, but aside from the name change is largely the same character. The remaining two (Sloth and Wrath/Pride) are completely different.

As for which ones could be reasonably tormented by Silent Hill:

Either Greed, though better the Brotherhood version due to being more fleshed out there.

FMA Lust. See: episode 35.

Brotherhood Wrath, who shows some measure of regrets about his life near the end of the series.

FMA Envy is a maybe. It would take lot of pushing on a certain button revealed in the last episode.

Socratov
2012-10-26, 07:28 AM
to be honest FMA lust is certainly lustinducing... But I think any alchemist (or that whitehaired guy) would have a tough time in Silent Hill...