PDA

View Full Version : Slayer's Moon: Tactical advice against a greater demon [PF]

Kulture
2012-09-11, 08:13 PM
In my weekly Pathfinder game we are in the process of sealing off a gate to hell.
We split the party in half, one half dealing with a puzzle dungeon successfully.

The home defense team consists of Me (alchemist/kung fu genius monk archer), the paladin (with a holy demon bane longsword) and the wizard (standard evoker). We are all level 4 in a very high loot game. There is also Draconius, the NPC sorcerer and a militia of 12 prostitutes (Dubbed the Steel Sisterhood), 8 mercenaries and 18 villagers. Current base of operations is a large brothel.

Once the away team departed possessed townsfolk started amassing around a portal when what we believe to be a particularly nasty demon based on Nicodemus of the Black Denarii burst out of it.

In order to kill him we need to reunite him with one of his coins, which Draconius has. We currently have some trap fields set up, some sniper vantage points, a tunnel system beneath town, a small ritual to Nyarlathotep set up for luck, a shop full of spare alchemical and weapon parts and our final fallback which is essentially a buried cache of magical enriched Uranium in the form of enchanted fire, enough to redraw more than a few maps, perhaps even an Atlas or two.

The village is trapped in a planar bubble.

The current plan is to set up skyrocket firework racks around town and bombard the portal and its attendees until they're dead or injured, but demons in our setting occasionally heal from fire.

Nikolai, the demon, is said to be a mass murderer in the 4 figures per visit to the material plane.

I am looking desperately for tactics beyond hoping he dies from bombardment, blinding him with black eggs, hoping for a lucky critical on a called shot or just holding out until the stupidly well statted barbarian gets back with he rest of the away team.

They get back in 9 hours time.

Any advice you can give with dropping heavy hitting outsiders would be greatly appreciated, I have access to 2500 gold in magical items from 3.5 or pathfinder core books.
I am strongly considering two arrows of Demon dread, considering I have ways of getting true strike more than twice a day and he has a very high AC and I don't reckon his death requisites would hold up to an epic level enchantment.

I have a week to consider my options, though any advice even beyond the deadline would be welcome, since this will not be the last outsider we'll be dealing with in this campaign, not by a long shot.

Yes I realize this is not the normal pathfinder game in terms of power level, but It's going alright.
The escalation has mainly been because the group's away team includes a ranger with a +25 perception bonus before terrain bonuses, a barbarian with high-end paladin stat rolls and a mercurial full blade, a dwarf fighter with a holy axiomatic great axe and a siren druid who's essentially a player controlled NPC.

Gear wise I'm using a +1 longbow, have a pair of Sniping goggles (everyone was awarded a moderate magical item for saving the king from a demon), have true strike gauntlets, a cloak of elven kind, a custom built darklight generator made from several darklight lanterns lashed together, a coat of protection +2 (originally a greatcoat but it got nyxed by the DM) and several masterwork repeater crossbows, mainly flask versions for utility, plus I get to add twice my int to damage on shots thanks to having focused shot.

Again, any advice is welcomed.