PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Attacks of Opportunity question

j00callme
2012-09-11, 10:29 PM
Hi all, I was hoping one of you D&D gurus might be able to help me settle a dispute in our group. We had a situation were a pc was fighting some goblin dogs, I am the dm, and I had one of the dogs take a 5 foot step from one of the pc's threatened squares to another to move closer to a square that would put him in flanking position on the next round, I then made a melee attack on the pc, and I was told that while the 5 foot step did not provoke an AoO, the melee attack did. I made the argument that the dog's bite attack doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity either, they stated that since the taking an action after the 5 foot step, this causes the dog to lower his defenses and is subject to an AoO since the PhB states:
'Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square AND performing an action within a threatened square.' and not using 'OR performing an action within a threatened square.'

So am I just reading the rules wrong or what?

MesiDoomstalker
2012-09-11, 10:37 PM
No AoO. If the dog was trying to Trip, then yes AoO is available. Only actions listed as provoking AoO will provoke AoO.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-11, 10:39 PM
No, it didn't provoke an AAO. A 5 foot step does not provoke, and a (full) attack does not provoke. There is no instance where you provoked one.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-11, 10:41 PM
The key here is that some actions provoke AoO and some do not. If you have access to the Rules Compendium, page 8 has a list of which actions do provoke. If not, then use the one on page 141 of the Player's Handbook.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-12, 02:02 AM
You're player has commited an act of reading comprehension fail.

Just breakdown the sentence and you can see why he's wrong.

"Two types of actions can produce an attack of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square."

It's saying that there are two kinds of actions then listing them.

Reading the "and" as associating "moving out of a threatened square" with "taking actions in a threatened square" changes the context, from two things that provoke to one combination of things that provoke, when the sentence already clearly setup the context.

/english lesson.