PDA

View Full Version : (3.P/3.5) Shadow Blow

Deviston
2012-09-12, 04:49 AM
Here is my proposed Hideous Blow fix.

Shadow Blow
Least, 1st, Shape
You channel your eldritch blast through a melee attack. As a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, you may make a shadow blow. Whether or not your weapon actually hit the target, the shape of it is echoed by your eldritch blast. After making an attack roll as normal with your melee weapon, make an additional melee touch attack. If this second attack hits, you deal eldritch blast damage with any associated essences applied. If you have iterative attacks, this invocation must be made as a full round action. The initial melee attack is the only made with your weapon. Your iterative attacks are shadowy echoes of your eldritch blast and may only target the target your attempted to strike with your initial melee attack. All shadowy echoes gain any enhancement, enchantment, or other magical bonuses your normal melee attacks get with your wielded weapon if applicable.
Additionally, any attacks of opportunity made against the initial target also gain one shadowy echo of eldritch blast but attacks against other targets do not.

Strormer
2012-09-12, 10:27 AM
Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong though, this seems to double the number of attacks the warlock receives. That might be a little strong for such a low level blast shape.
What I'm going to do with hideous blow is have two versions, normal and greater. Normal cannot work with magic weapons, whereas greater can, and you must hit with your attack. If you hit, you deal eldritch blast damage in addition to the damage from your weapon attack. I also made it always a full round action to use, just like eldritch glaive, and allowed iterative attacks. This is very nearly the same thing you did, except that I use less attack rolls per turn for the warlock in question.
Not a bad idea, though, as I said, I'd jump it up to the next level invocation.

Deviston
2012-09-12, 11:49 AM
Here's the breakdown.

BAB +4
Uses Shadow Blow and makes an attack as a standard action. Whether the blade misses or hits, makes a second TOUCH attack on the target that deals EB. Whatever benefits or bonuses you get with the blade apply to this attack aswell.

BAB +20 (somehow)
Uses Shadow Blow and makes an attack as a full-round action. Whether the blade misses or hits, makes a second TOUCH attack on the target that deals EB. Then, at second iterative bonus, makes another TOUCH attack, and another, and another. No more than ONE melee attack with the blade is made, but where the iteratives would be, are instead iterative melee touch attacks that heap on EB.

It's an echo of the blade, hence gaining magical effects of the blade (but not benefits like Weapon Focus or Specialization) but not the actual damage of the blade (or benefits of its material).

Deviston
2012-09-15, 11:08 PM
Bump for a little more peaching.