PDA

View Full Version : With friends like these...

ThreeDSix
2012-09-12, 05:42 AM
So, my party decided to infiltrate -that is, walk in the front door - a lord's manor house and assassinate said lord. Needless to say, it was an abysmal failure and we had to resort to some hasty bluff and diplomacy checks not to get murdered.
However, my character - a binder, bound to Naberius and disguised as one of the lord's trusted bodyguards - was found out to be a heretic.
Que mobs, pitchforks, exxaggerations of what I really did: "Oh! It was like cold black fingers of the Abyss had gripped my mind!"
Most of thecondemnations coming... from my party members.

They were nice, though, managing to convince the rest of the mob to have the manor's resident 'artist in the flowery art of pain' torture a confession out of me first before burning me at the stake.

So, please share similar stories so I don't feel as alone in my mixed feelings of betrayal and gratitude. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2012-09-12, 05:54 AM
Interesting...
Any chance they gave you an explanation for their behavior?

ThreeDSix
2012-09-12, 06:10 AM
Haha! Well, the mob was going to burn me at the stake. They managed to convince them that letting me get tortured to 'confess my sins' for a couple of days would be a much better idea while they enact 'Plan B' and concoct a plan to rescue me.

Condemning me was just a convenient way of shifting suspicion away from themselves.

I don't have a problem with their actions. My character is clinically insane and we're mostly playing evil characters - or chracters of fluid moral alignment - I woulda done exactly the same in their place. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2012-09-12, 06:22 AM
Then, I approve. :smallwink:

Regardin' my own story... sadly, i'll post it later. Now I have to go to work.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-12, 06:44 AM
Still, it was pretty funny.

I remember a long time ago, being a member of a party that decided to spend the night in a weird orcish village. The orcs where excited to have guests and treated us very well - we spend the night in a luxurious hotel and everyone got a massage from orcish hotties with special oils and whatnot before going to dinner.

That's until a party member actually tasted the 'special oil' and the DM told us that it tasted like olive oil and lemon.

And we were like "Oh shi-"

Then after massacring loads of orcs we faced something that had tentacles. It was probably Cthulhu ))

Garagos
2012-09-12, 08:06 AM
I played in a Forgotten Realms campaign several years ago as a Barbarian Forsaker. This was a mostly evil campaign but I believe my character was CN. We were fighting some baddies in a dungeon and found that they had a prisoner, a female drow spellcaster. Obviously I was suspicious of her from the start since she was a drow, and even more so because she was a spellcaster. While most of us were holding off the bad guys someone untied the drow. I told her to just stay back and not cast any spells and let us finish. Of course she immediately started casting things on herself. After we finished off the last of the bad guys I confronted her about using magic when I asked her not to. I figured it was a small request since we were saving her, and I wanted the party to question her before she started throwing spells around. Argument escalated with most of my party taking her side for some reason, so I ended up fighting her plus about 3 other party members, while the remaining 2 group members stood and watched. I dropped 2 of them into their negatives before they killed me but thinking about that still ticks me off to this day. I really enjoyed roleplaying with that character.

Azoth
2012-09-12, 12:08 PM
I have one from a current campaign. I am not mad about it and feel that it was a good representaion of our IC personalities, but at the same time was a bit miffed when it happened.

We arrived at a village to find it well...genocided...for lack of a better term. While exploring it we come across goblins that are raiding what is left of supplies and goods in the town. Some of the others instantly start goblin slaying while I loop behind the group. Luckily I catch what looks like a leader alone and manage to choke him out, but leave him alive. After hogtying him and dragging him to the town well the others calm down and realize the goblins aren't the killers...so they save them.

Well, they start hearing screams and see me torturing the one I caught in ways that would make Vlad Tepes cringe. They try telling me the goblins aren't the ones responsible, but the one I have has already admitted to working for the guys who did it. So, I tell them to back off and leave me to it for I won't kill the goblin...merely make him wish for death. He had answers and we needed them. My party didn't like this very much, and before much longer I was beaten to a bloody pulp, left unconscious, and they freed and healed my prisoner. After making sure he was safe, they tended to me and got me up and moving again...but I was no longer allowed alone with prisoners.

Syrinth
2012-09-12, 07:03 PM
These were in campaigns I DMd, both all from the same player...

There was the time the party cleric requested gold from the NPC party sorcerer who, in game, was her childhood friend. The gold was to buy the bard a new crossbow but I don't think he knew and refused. Her response was to grapple him, beat him unconscious and then take his money.

Did I mention that this was in an undead infested graveyard?

This cleric also decided to abuse the party rogue. They were exploring a cavern system and came across a large pillar in the centre of a large room. The rogue went up to it to examine it, wondering if it might be magical somehow. The cleric went up behind the halfling rogue, picked her up and slammed her face into the mirror several times crying out "Is it magical now?!"

This cleric would also use Create Water to spontaneously soak anyone for any reason at all.

Later on, playing a psion, I had a Skinkite attach itself to his character's face since he had been annoying me. He elected to manifest Energy Burst fully augmented with Overchannel. In the middle of the party. Thank God everyone rolled 18s or higher.

He... doesn't play with us anymore <_<

Psyren
2012-09-12, 09:56 PM
So, my party decided to infiltrate -that is, walk in the front door - a lord's manor house and assassinate said lord. Needless to say, it was an abysmal failure and we had to resort to some hasty bluff and diplomacy checks not to get murdered.
However, my character - a binder, bound to Naberius and disguised as one of the lord's trusted bodyguards - was found out to be a heretic.
Que mobs, pitchforks, exxaggerations of what I really did: "Oh! It was like cold black fingers of the Abyss had gripped my mind!"
Most of thecondemnations coming... from my party members.

They were nice, though, managing to convince the rest of the mob to have the manor's resident 'artist in the flowery art of pain' torture a confession out of me first before burning me at the stake.

So, please share similar stories so I don't feel as alone in my mixed feelings of betrayal and gratitude. :smalltongue:

Not that you didn't get what was coming to you or anything, but "gratitude?" Seems an odd emotion for a someone whose character was betrayed, tortured and executed after trying to save the party's bacon.

ThreeDSix
2012-09-13, 04:38 AM
Not that you didn't get what was coming to you or anything, but "gratitude?" Seems an odd emotion for a someone whose character was betrayed, tortured and executed after trying to save the party's bacon.

As I mentioned before, I'm not dead yet. If it hadn't been for the party I would be. At the moment I'm locked up in the dungeon. We'll see in two weeks whether my party manages to rescue me.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-09-13, 06:30 AM
I remember a long time ago, being a member of a party that decided to spend the night in a weird orcish village. The orcs where excited to have guests and treated us very well - we spend the night in a luxurious hotel and everyone got a massage from orcish hotties with special oils and whatnot before going to dinner.

That's until a party member actually tasted the 'special oil' and the DM told us that it tasted like olive oil and lemon.
I am disappointed by the lack of oregano. :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-13, 11:23 PM
Still, it was pretty funny.

And we were like "Oh shi-"

Then after massacring loads of orcs we faced something that had tentacles. It was probably Cthulhu ))

Did you know that olive oil was, in fact, used as a massage oil and even a means of bathing in ancient Rome?

You guys may have fought your way out of a good time for no reason. :smalltongue:

If there was a bubbling cauldron of vegetables and broth near a fire with an empty spit, though, you might've had the right idea.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-09-14, 01:36 AM
Did you know that olive oil was, in fact, used as a massage oil and even a means of bathing in ancient Rome?

You guys may have fought your way out of a good time for no reason. :smalltongue:

If there was a bubbling cauldron of vegetables and broth near a fire with an empty spit, though, you might've had the right idea.
Haha, no, it's a matter of local cuisine. Where Dictum's from, olive oil and lemon is THE standard way to cook meat. And serve fish. And dress green salads. In short, it's a dead giveaway for FOOD. (For the same effect, a French DM might say "it tastes like vinaigrette".)

So wanton slaughter was an entirely justified response in this case. :smallbiggrin:

kardar233
2012-09-14, 01:54 AM
Haha, no, it's a matter of local cuisine. Where Dictum's from, olive oil and lemon is THE standard way to cook meat. And serve fish. And dress green salads. In short, it's a dead giveaway for FOOD. (For the same effect, a French DM might say "it tastes like vinaigrette".)

So wanton slaughter was an entirely justified response in this case. :smallbiggrin:

Is that Greece? Sounds familiar.

That story reminds me of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html).

Killer Angel
2012-09-14, 03:52 AM
That story reminds me of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html).

Which, BTW, fits perfectly the thread's title. :smalltongue:

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-14, 04:27 AM
I am disappointed by the lack of oregano. :smalltongue:

Actually there was some in the mixture, but I didn't know the english term and was too lazy to look it up :p

@Kelb_Panthera: what HeadlessMermaid said + I vaguely remember cauldrons and giant frying pans - I think our DM at that time was playing Baldur's Gate II, where you meet some man-eating trolls or orcs or both - I don't remember which.

Trivia: My family has a generations-old olive plantation and we produce our own extra virgin (at least according to the acidic tests) olive oil. Our production is small however - we just cover the plantation expenses and whatever we consume annually. The plantation is situated in Laconia, near the city of Monemvasia.

Novawurmson
2012-09-14, 08:43 AM
Trivia: My family has a generations-old olive plantation and we produce our own extra virgin (at least according to the acidic tests) olive oil. Our production is small however - we just cover the plantation expenses and whatever we consume annually. The plantation is situated in Laconia, near the city of Monemvasia.

Hah. In the campaign I'm currently DMing, one player was trying to infiltrate a cult of murderers, but the head of the cult recognized him for what he was, and told him to kill one of the other party members to "prove his loyalty." The party immediately began making plans to fake his death, when they heard his second demand: As proof of the deed, he required one of his (very distict, Aasimar) eyes. The party ended up concocting an elaborate plan in which the first player murdered the second in full view of an NPC Cleric who had been briefed beforehand and resurrected him as soon as the would-be assassin was out of sight with Breath of Life (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/breath-of-life). The cult leader thanked the player and welcomed into the fold.

It was only later that they realized the cult leader was using his eye to scry on the Aasimar and keep tabs on the party. :smallamused:

To this day, the Aasimar play occasionally uses "You killed me!" to win arguments with the other.

SethFahad
2012-09-14, 09:04 AM
Actually there was some in the mixture, but I didn't know the english term and was too lazy to look it up :p

@Kelb_Panthera: what HeadlessMermaid said + I vaguely remember cauldrons and giant frying pans - I think our DM at that time was playing Baldur's Gate II, where you meet some man-eating trolls or orcs or both - I don't remember which.

Apo wraia merh katagesai patrioth... Glad to meet a fellow Greek in giantitp!

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-14, 09:15 AM
Apo wraia merh katagesai patrioth... Glad to meet a fellow Greek in giantitp!

Actually I'm from Crete! Likewise!

God Imperror
2012-09-14, 09:26 AM
Trivia: My family has a generations-old olive plantation and we produce our own extra virgin (at least according to the acidic tests) olive oil.

Same here, though it is on an association with most neighbors from the village to reduce costs and to sell it.

As a personal experience we were once playing some urban game, in D&D and our noble patron was killed in mysterious circumstances. When we approached the manor to investigate the butler opened the door. My character, decided that he was the murderer (the butler always is the murderer) and proceeded to try to kill it. Luckily, for the DM, the party restrained my character, and decided to investigate.

It turns out that the butler was a murderous evil enchanter :smallmad:

HunterColt22
2012-09-14, 09:33 AM
Being a warforged scout and the rogue for the party while nice, can also often end in things such as this, "Roll me a disable device check." "Crap." "Well you are now inert due to your lovely race ability." To which before this we had all been in front of the trap and the pally opened the door, to set it off, will save vs dropping us to -1 hp. Luckily I am the only one that failed it. Thus began a damn brutal cycle of me trying to open said trap and then the paladin, very gleefully I might add, to using lay on hands to just heal me back up to 1hp to try and disarm the trap again and again. -_- I was not a happy rogue that day, nor the time the druid butt bombed a trap I had just disabled, (rather crappily I might add as well) that did con damage.... I was going to kill him at that point.

Uhtred
2012-09-14, 09:34 AM
I was a Centaur Fighter/Warblade leading a totally neutral, mostly chaotic neutral party consisting of a Lizardfolk Ranger, a Winged Elf Ranger, a Minotaur Barbarian, and a Doppelgänger Rogue as we stopped off in a village to question the local cleric about a quest we were doing. The Winged Elf, the only one in our party who was Lawful Neutral (Who was definitely more chaotic than he played, being obsessed with loot and killing than with following laws and impartiality) had gotten on the party's last nerve by taking up hours of time asking our DM about magic items. So, as Chaotic Neutral party leader, I informed him that if he spoke at all while we were questioning the Cleric, I would kill him, which sure was nice of me. Sure enough, during the conversation he pushes me aside and demands three quarters of the temple's worth as compensation. I had taken the Mercurial Strike feat, which allows you to draw and strike at an opponent if he provokes an AoO while you're unarmed, so I asked the DM if his ignoring my threat, combined with my intent to murder him if he did and the fact that he had just shouldered an eight-foot-tall heavily armored Centaur out of the way counted as provoking an attack of opportunity. The DM knowingly nodded, said it did, and told me the Winged Elf's flatfooted AC. In that single strike I dealt almost a hundred and fifty damage with a critical hit with my Fullblade and dropped him to -62hp that, when the party started screaming at me for legitimately murdering the crap out of a party member in front of a cleric in a temple, I converted to nonlethal damage. They told me I had no right, he hadn't done anything wrong...and the DM said I had warned him, he had ignored me, and I had done what I said I would do. Cue glares and scathing remarks for the rest of the session.

HunterColt22
2012-09-15, 09:04 PM
I was a Centaur Fighter/Warblade leading a totally neutral, mostly chaotic neutral party consisting of a Lizardfolk Ranger, a Winged Elf Ranger, a Minotaur Barbarian, and a Doppelgänger Rogue as we stopped off in a village to question the local cleric about a quest we were doing. The Winged Elf, the only one in our party who was Lawful Neutral (Who was definitely more chaotic than he played, being obsessed with loot and killing than with following laws and impartiality) had gotten on the party's last nerve by taking up hours of time asking our DM about magic items. So, as Chaotic Neutral party leader, I informed him that if he spoke at all while we were questioning the Cleric, I would kill him, which sure was nice of me. Sure enough, during the conversation he pushes me aside and demands three quarters of the temple's worth as compensation. I had taken the Mercurial Strike feat, which allows you to draw and strike at an opponent if he provokes an AoO while you're unarmed, so I asked the DM if his ignoring my threat, combined with my intent to murder him if he did and the fact that he had just shouldered an eight-foot-tall heavily armored Centaur out of the way counted as provoking an attack of opportunity. The DM knowingly nodded, said it did, and told me the Winged Elf's flatfooted AC. In that single strike I dealt almost a hundred and fifty damage with a critical hit with my Fullblade and dropped him to -62hp that, when the party started screaming at me for legitimately murdering the crap out of a party member in front of a cleric in a temple, I converted to nonlethal damage. They told me I had no right, he hadn't done anything wrong...and the DM said I had warned him, he had ignored me, and I had done what I said I would do. Cue glares and scathing remarks for the rest of the session.

See I find this very funny, simply because you warned him in game not to do it, and as a whole he had gotten on every one's nerves before hand. The DM also knew what you were doing and didn't say anything against which further proves to me he agreed with your actions on a whole. :/ Personally the party just whined to much and should have known that a pushy elf clearly pissing off a centaur would only end in him becoming paste.

Uhtred
2012-09-16, 12:56 AM
See I find this very funny, simply because you warned him in game not to do it, and as a whole he had gotten on every one's nerves before hand. The DM also knew what you were doing and didn't say anything against which further proves to me he agreed with your actions on a whole. :/ Personally the party just whined to much and should have known that a pushy elf clearly pissing off a centaur would only end in him becoming paste.
Because of this, the Winged Elf decided he needed more voices in the party to back him up and keep me from murdering (knocking him right the heck out) him again. He took Leadership, brought in a Fighter/Wizard cohort, and proceeded IN THAT SAME TEMPLE, to challenge our Minotaur to an unarmed wrestling match. The Minotaur grappled the Winged Elf, used him to knock the cohort unconscious, then smashed him around a lot until the Elf went unconscious too, for the second time in as many sessions. There was no outcry about THAT, which was annoying, but the novelty of a Minotaur using a Winged Elf as a great club against his own cohort was pretty priceless.

animewatcha
2012-09-16, 01:16 AM
When it comes to using PCs' own characters as weapons against their will to try and club a point into the player's head...

there's an elf for that.

Uhtred
2012-09-16, 06:27 PM
He thought that both his elf and cohort could act simultaneously; didn't understand that because of initiative and differing Dex mods that one would act, then the other. Minotaurs have reach and the fight ended pretty quickly.

Flickerdart
2012-09-16, 06:38 PM
There's a bunch of terrorist attacks on the city the PCs are in, and eventually we track down their ringleader to a lab where they're making magic ritual components. We know that the ringleader is being Dominated, so my character and an ally take a couple of dispelling items and sneak inside. We are invisible, so the infiltration goes off without a hitch.

We successfully remove the Domination without being seen. The ringleader obviously starts freaking out because she had no idea what's been going on up to this point. The only thing she remembers is that something touched her (the dispelling item). At this point me and the person with me are still invisible.

You'd think this was it, and we succeeded? No, this is where everything starts to go wrong.

One of the other party members crashes through the skylight, makes a beeline for my (still invisible) character, and attacks him in an attempt to ingratiate himself with the enemy. The party member already with me dispels invisibility and starts apologizing, blowing my cover even further than before. Obviously, the leader and minions attack us after that.

SleepyShadow
2012-09-16, 06:49 PM
This happened very recently. The incarnate in the group got surprised by a choker, got grabbed, and strangled down to -7 hp. Rushing to his "aid", the wizard char broiled him with burning hands, but only ticked off the little critter. After grappling her, the rogue heroically lopped her head off with his glaive. Needless to say, he was no match for the half dead choker.

HunterColt22
2012-09-17, 11:25 AM
Because of this, the Winged Elf decided he needed more voices in the party to back him up and keep me from murdering (knocking him right the heck out) him again. He took Leadership, brought in a Fighter/Wizard cohort, and proceeded IN THAT SAME TEMPLE, to challenge our Minotaur to an unarmed wrestling match. The Minotaur grappled the Winged Elf, used him to knock the cohort unconscious, then smashed him around a lot until the Elf went unconscious too, for the second time in as many sessions. There was no outcry about THAT, which was annoying, but the novelty of a Minotaur using a Winged Elf as a great club against his own cohort was pretty priceless.

Wait, so he decided to get a cohort, okay that makes sense, and then he decided to challenge the MINOTAUR BARBARIAN TO A CONTEST OF STRENGTH AS AN ELF? ... This player was not the brightest in the bunch, and neither was his character. Though the image it draws is for laughs. I agree it shows a group mentality that what what one person does is frowned upon but when another does it, it's okay. At least the DM agreed with you when you first did it.