PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern alternate weapon size price DC help

behaigo
2012-09-12, 08:23 AM
I'm currently running a d20 modern campaign that includes a fairly heavy fantasy element. Players are allowed to play pretty much any race they can get their hands on as long as they don't go over the campaign level. This means that players could potentially be larger or smaller than medium size.

I was just wondering what might be a fair cost modifier for increasing or decreasing a weapons size. I would like for it to be something that can be applied multiple time to create weapons much larger or smaller than normal in the event of giants or brownies.

The compact and miniaturized weapon gadgets from d20 future aren't quite what I'm looking for, as they don't modify the damage of a weapon like normal size adjustment does.

I apologize if this has already been answered or if it is in the wrong section.

kitcik
2012-09-12, 11:20 AM
Are you using the wealth level rules or the trade value rules (from Apocalypse)?

If wealth level, I would only increase the DC by 1 per size increment beyond the small-medium-large continuum (which I would price all the same). It doesn't take much to make a larger pistol, and if these races are reasonably common someone is making them. Now, if you wanted a "fine" pistol, that might take some doing and warrant an additional increase for microtechnology.

If trade value, that is more difficult - depends on what would be reasonable in the world you have created, which only you can decide. Maybe 20% per size increment for the first couple of increments, then moving to 50% per increment for the really large/small ones?

Alabenson
2012-09-12, 04:47 PM
The primary reason that the compact and minaturized gadgets don't impact weapon damage, at least for projectile weapons, is the fact that the weapon's damage is coming from its ammunition rather than the weapon itself. Therefore, if a .45 pistol is built for a halfling and still firing .45 bullets, than it will deal essentially the same damage.

Depending on your campaign setting, what you could do is homebrew some weapons that were specifically made by non-medium races, and price them accordingly.

Marnath
2012-09-12, 08:59 PM
Have you looked at the Modern d20 SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd)? It lists a wide range of weapons of different sizes. Judging by the monster entries, they don't have size modifiers on weapons, you just use a smaller model. Like with kobolds, they use a .22 caliber revolver that I guess is a small concealed carry on a medium creature. You couldn't really design a smaller version of say a .357 magnum because there's only so much you can take away before it can't handle the recoil and breaks apart. What you could do though, is redesign it with a carbine stock or something. It wouldn't change size, but it would be usable as a rifle by a small person.