PDA

View Full Version : A huge suit of armor with the traits of a level 11 wizard.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 10:25 AM
My players have just recently met a Alchemist that is of presumed level 20, and his alchemical secret is "Rubedo" which means that he's capable of transmuting a soul into the giant suits of armor that the blacksmith creates, whether they're magical or not.

What the player character's don't know is that the alchemist is actually evil, and is planning to charm the characters that choose to become armors. Mind you, the characters have already been warned about the risks (Killing their own friends) so they're skeptical, but one of the Wizard NPCs has nominated to have his soul transmuted into a huge suit of armor.

What this basically means is that he'll have all of his feats, all of his magic, and a new rod built via blacksmith. His armor class is going to go up by 4, and his health will get an automatic +30 because of the size change and health increase.

I'm planning on making him a "Tragic" bossfight, because the PCs have grown attached to him where he's helped them out of so many binds where they keep helping him. If he doesn't take the procedure, however, he'll die of his ailments, which are natural because he's so dam old.

What I'm wondering is that if all of his spells would work better, or worse considering he's changed his size. The armor is not counted as "Heavy" armor class, however, and is simply an extension of his conscience, which means for him, he's technically not wearing armor, which would actually heighten his spell chance.

The question remains, could he still cast all of his spells normally?

Apropos
2012-09-12, 10:32 AM
I would rule it that it doesn't change anything about him other than what you already mentioned.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 10:35 AM
He also gets the bonuses of 4 CP which I'm putting toward Additional Movement (Fly), Faster (+10 Fly) and Metal (+2 Armor class) Which puts him at 23 AC.

So yeah. We have a Flying "I'm sorry" Wizard with a ton of hp and AC. Epic fight it is.

Also I just remembered he could cast Greater Mage Armor, so. Yeah. I might want to save him for later. lol.

EpsilRon
2012-09-12, 10:43 AM
I'd also give him the warforged trait that healing spells don't work as well on him anymore, or just outright immunity to healing with repair taking its place. My reasoning is that he would basically be a magic item.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 10:46 AM
So healing and magic immune?

DeusMortuusEst
2012-09-12, 10:53 AM
Well, perhaps not entirely immune, but if you want to spice things up a bit give him some SR, or a mind blank effect. A sort-of-construct can get sort-of-construct immunities as well.

EpsilRon
2012-09-12, 10:53 AM
Sorry, must have been a bit unclear. I meant to say he would be immune to all forms of natural healing as well as any divine or arcane healing spells that don't include constructs or items in the effects. He would instead require repair either by mundane or magical means in order to regain Hp and keep himself "healthy".

Diarmuid
2012-09-12, 10:54 AM
Do warforged casters suffer ASF? They are not technically wearing armor, but their body is armor. If so, I'd probably apply that to this new armor thing.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 10:59 AM
I don't believe they do, Diar.

Also I agree with the spell-like healing immunity, and that repair should be his only method of healing outside of direct repair.

I think we're all forgetting that any armor-related wizard would definately have make whole, which he could inevitably use on himself.

To balance out him from completely wiping out the party like a mechanical batman, he could constantly make a high will-save to sort of "Get back in control" of his body.

EpsilRon
2012-09-12, 01:21 PM
By getting back in control, is it temporary or permanent? What if he makes the save in the first round? Wouldn't be much of a boss fight. Maybe instead there could be some other way for the party to free him from the control. Maybe by destroying some totem or charm. If the NPC truly is emotionally important to the party there should be at least some way to rescue him.

Diarmuid
2012-09-12, 02:04 PM
Basic Composite Plating on the Warforged comes with 5% ASF, Mithril Body jumps to 15%, and Admantine Body goes up to 35%.

Venusaur
2012-09-12, 02:05 PM
Do warforged casters suffer ASF? They are not technically wearing armor, but their body is armor. If so, I'd probably apply that to this new armor thing.

Warforged have 5% ASF unless they take Unarmored Body.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-12, 02:11 PM
What's the Alchemist using for the mind control? Charms can't make you turn against your friends, Suggestion can't either. He'd have to use Dominate Monster (because the wizard is no longer humanoid) at the least.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 02:18 PM
I figure that diplomacy/bluff/knowledge arcana/dispel/charm or something along those lines could wrestle control back temporarily, but never the same thing twice.

animewatcha
2012-09-12, 06:28 PM
What's the Alchemist using for the mind control? Charms can't make you turn against your friends, Suggestion can't either. He'd have to use Dominate Monster (because the wizard is no longer humanoid) at the least.

Can't charm and suggestion actually can make you turn against your friends if the right wording and the right things/spells were used in the right way?

silverwolfer
2012-09-12, 07:05 PM
Look at the helmed horror from lost empries of feafrun