PDA

View Full Version : help with gestalt e6 character please

starship1
2012-09-12, 10:30 AM
I just got this email from my Gm

"Try not to min max too much. Pick something fun, and as hard as it may seem, picking something fun but not maxed out and simple is often more fun that that character with a million options. It also has the benefit of not having some players perceived to have way better characters than other players who don't min/max. Some games crash when that happens (. Anyway...just consider and temper your choices. You played in one of those games and your character was perceived to be min/maxed or over the top relative to the others... Just something to keep in mind, when everyone or most people have fun then the game can last a lot longer.

Allowed books are Complete Divine, Warrior, Arcana, Scoundrel...Unearthed Arcana, PHB, DMG, Dracomonican, Oriental Adventures (oh that thing about Taint might actually play out okay). Please don't get too obscure on character classes or items. Try to stick with "rules as intended" uses.

I am fleshing out the world and have it pretty well done. Players really do not know much now however and their first character will not be from the area, and as such will not really have knowledge. Only the first character is allowed to be Gestalt as I doubt I will do that again.

You have 10,000 gp to play with. Limitations (GM approval required). No item over +2. Except the weapon (which at +2 would be about 8k), no other item can cost over 6 k. Please try to limit items (and spells) to the books above but you can ask me about a specific item and I will rule on it (I will be considering balance issues). No more than 5 magic items per character. Scrolls and potions do not count toward this but no more than 10 of them in total. Nearly all non-magic gear it available. If you are playing a Wizard or class that has to find or buy spells you get the basic 1st level ones (about 7), and then 4 per caster level (so a 6th wiz would have about 7 at first level, 4 more first level spells at level 2, 4 more first or 2nd level spells at level 3....4 more first or 2nd levels spells at level 4....4 more 1st, 2nd or 3rd level spells at level 5....). You can buy up to 10 additional spells of levels you can cast at 100 gp per spell level.

This is a low magic game (but fairly high powered character options)...hence the item & spell limitations but allowing Gestalt.

Your character can start with an effective level of 6. 80 points to spend on stats, 1 to 1 up to 14; 15-16 cost 2 points per step; 17-18 costs 3 points per step.

We will be playing EC 6 / 8. What this means is level 6 is the highest class level that can be obtained by players. If they have ECL's then those can not go above 8 (so a Drow level 6 fighter ECL 8 would be allowed...but a half dragon could only get to level 5 fighter since that would hit the ECL 8 max). After this level every 5 k XP gives 1/2 the normal skill points and 1 feat (but no other leveling benefits). There will be some other options also. Gestalt counts as +1 ECL.

The game will have some Dragon focus but no need to worry about that heavily. Your God choice will have some odd effects though so you might want to send that to me if you plan on playing a divine caster.

There will be a mechanism for others to share GMing and in that there will be the ability for the other GM's to alter some of the basics. More on that later as it is spoiler material.

I think that is all you need.

Likely characters to be played atm;

Half Dragon / Half Giant level 3 Barbarian (ECL 7)
Half Dragon / Half Giant level 3 Fighter (ECL 7)

They will have high stats and never get above level 4. They are starting with high stats and above the basic level but are not Gestalt, will have next to no equipment/money, and also will not get the option to play these existing characters again. These are only being allowed since the campaign is already underway more or less. Having that many ECL is actually not good IMO. They will also level slowly.

Gestalt Human Warlock/Wizard 5
Human Paladin or Paladin of Freedom 6 (I think)
Fey/Petal Warlock 5

As such, we are low on Divine casters atm. I am allowing the purchase of the Health Belt (3 charges per day...heals 2d6; 750 gp...as such this can help make up for lack of healers)

As to alignments....I would suggest avoiding many Lawful characters at this point. More detail would be a spoiler and this is only a recommendation (mild warning of danger?), not a requirement.

That is a good start.

Now the game is designed for other GM's to step in...but....in my portion of the world Race will play a roll.

Most of the world is quite human dominated. Elves are feared and hated in much of the world. Dwarves and shorties are relatively unknown, but do in fact exist (they are the stuff of legends and few people have ever seen one of them). Many races are likely to be allowed for this first character for everyone, subject to GM approval (but it is likely to be given). Try to stay with the books previously noted as well as MM 1, 2, & 3. That being said, the simple approach might still be best (there are advantages to being or appearing to be human in a human dominated world)."

Please help me find some options for characters to play.

P.s. i have to stick with one gestalt. eg: fighter//monk all the way rather than fighter/monk//paladin. any other classes not in my gestalt combo are not gestalt.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-12, 10:40 AM
So what kind of character do you want to play?

If you want power Gestalt and +1LA sounds like the most powerful you could get.

starship1
2012-09-12, 12:01 PM
agreed. I would like to play a templated human (or tallfellow halfing, not so sure on what their stats are). Im thinking spontaneous caster or dedicated skirmishing melee (swift hunter for level 12 scout Skirmish?).

hex0
2012-09-16, 07:41 PM
Dragon Shaman is good for e6. And dragon themed to boot.