PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up a Tiny Familiar

AWiz_Abroad
2012-09-12, 11:01 AM
Hey All,

Managed to pick up a Coure Eladrin (Lily) as a familiar (via improved familiar). Also snagged Spell Linked Familiar feat, and have Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability.

I'm wanting to equip Lily with Wands,metamagic rods, and some other magic gear
Magic Armor resizes, got it
Magic Weapons +1 Sizing got it

But what about other magical Items, Does Lily have to use two hands to wield a wand? What about a Rod or Staff?

Anyone run into this problem before on a tiny familiar? How'd you solve it?

Extra Kudos for your top spells for a familiar.

Duboris
2012-09-12, 11:04 AM
Not that this is constructive, but the only thing I could think of is "Behold. My battle toad." and a tiny little frog in a cute little suit of armor.

Regardless, I think the feather tokens are your best bet :U

Andreaz
2012-09-12, 11:12 AM
You don't need sizing enchantments. Just make the items fit to her size. All that will happen is a reduction in the material cost.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-09-12, 11:20 AM
Which I can do with Wondrous items, weapons, and armor

But I don't have craft rod, wand,staff.

If you were DMing, what price modification would you put on a tiny wand?

EpsilRon
2012-09-12, 11:23 AM
If you've got the spare cash to burn I'm a huge fan of ring of Augment/Enhance/Fortify Familiar. You've gotta pay out the backside to get them as constant effects on the wearer but i think its worth it in the long run.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-09-12, 11:38 AM
You want to equip your familiar with stuff that benefit a party. e.g. a healing belt resizes to fit her and it's great for in-combat stabilization and quick healing buff.

A good idea is getting the item set "regalia of the hero". It has immediate/swift activations and gives some minor, but useful, buffs.

Banner of the Storm's Eye works very good, too, protecting anyone in 20ft from fear and being stunned or confused.

I like the idea of persisting spells like Cloud of Knives.

Also check this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6650.0) out.

Bronk
2012-09-12, 12:50 PM
If you could get a hold of a pair of 'wand bracers' from the MIC, that would take care of your wand size issue. Each bracer can magically hold 3 wands that you can use as if you were wielding them, and would resize to fit...

Andreaz
2012-09-12, 02:48 PM
Eh, just make them tiny-wieldable and discount a few gp from the wand's cost.

ericgrau
2012-09-12, 10:55 PM
Give the familiar alter self to increase his size category to small by becoming a different animal. Has duration drawbacks in the wilderness though.

What might work better would be to polymorph the familiar into a battle form with opposable thumbs. Sure you blow a round to do it, but now even if the familiar doesn't want to use wands he can fight too. Make sure he casts false life in the morning if you want him to engage in combat since familiars have crazy low hp. I think spell compendium has a bunch more buffs specific to familiars.