PDA

View Full Version : Improved Tome of Readiness: Refocus

ghost_warlock
2012-09-12, 11:18 AM
Maybe this is old hat and I'm just out of the loop (wouldn't be a surprise), but I was playing around with ideas for wizard character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255580) I'll be playing in an upcoming game and I stated thinking about how the Improved Tome of Readiness feat interacts with the 6th level utility spell 'Refocus'.

From my understanding of the feat, you spend a free action to swap out a prepared spell for another spell of the same type (daily or utility) of the same or lower level from your spellbook, which you can then use by spending the appropriate action type (Standard, Move, Minor, Free, interrupt, etc.).

Refocus allows you to spend a minor action to do basically the same thing, but the power apparently doesn't need to be the same type, just the same level.

So, from my understanding if you selected Refocus as the spell for your Improved Tomb of Readiness, you could use a free action to burn a 6th or higher level utility spell to get Refocus instead, which you could then cast as a minor action to burn another prepared power that's either a daily or utility of whatever level to then gain access to every spell of the same level in your spellbook. Sounds like a good reason to actually pick up Expanded Spellbook. :smallwink:

Also, and this is the part I'm more hazy on, the Improved Tome of Readiness feat allows you to do this swap every encounter, even if the spellbook power you're swapping for is a daily power (like Refocus). So, you could just select any 6th-level encounter power and then burn that power whenever you needed to and it'd just recharge after a short rest so you could do the same thing again in the next encounter.

So...thoughts?

Kurald Galain
2012-09-12, 01:04 PM
The combo should work, but I don't see the poinit in burning two utility powers to get the one you want. Frankly, if your wizard spells are so situational, then you've picked the wrong spells.

If you want versatility, I recommend carrying a few tomes, or using the Vistani Foresight feat; anything else is not worth the cost.

Using ITOR with an encounter power to use a daily power multiple times per day is a well-known loophole that may or may not work depending on how you read the rules. For what it's worth, most DMs in my area won't let it fly. Even if it does fly, I have a hard time thinking of any combos that actually are overpowered (the best one is probably using Illusory Wall every encounter, but it costs you your L16 utility slot).