PDA

View Full Version : How does Level Adjustment work

Origomar
2012-09-12, 12:30 PM
How does it effect things like BAB/hp/saves/skills, ect.

Like if i were to be a level 1 barbarian goliath, what would those stats be like(for simplicities sake assume all my attributes are 10, even with the +4 strength and -2 dex and stuff).

Would i only have one die of health(d12, presumably 12 health since its my first level), the saves and skill points of a level 1 barbarian and +1 BAB?

Urpriest
2012-09-12, 12:36 PM
Read the guide to monsters in my sig, it should explain your questions.

Telonius
2012-09-12, 12:47 PM
How does it effect things like BAB/hp/saves/skills, ect.

Like if i were to be a level 1 barbarian goliath, what would those stats be like(for simplicities sake assume all my attributes are 10, even with the +4 strength and -2 dex and stuff).

Would i only have one die of health(d12, presumably 12 health since its my first level), the saves and skill points of a level 1 barbarian and +1 BAB?

Yes, that's basically it. The thing is, you wouldn't level up when you get the usual amount of XP necessary for level 2. When you have enough XP for a normal, non-LA character to get to level 3, you'd level up to 2. At that point, you'd have +2BAB, 2d12 hit points, and the skills and saves of a Level 2 Barbarian. Meanwhile, the rest of your part is going to have the BAB/hp/etc of normal 3rd-level characters.

Origomar
2012-09-12, 12:57 PM
I have a new question, is playing a goliath worth having the LA lol?

also is feat progression based off of ECL or your class level?

The-Mage-King
2012-09-12, 01:04 PM
I have a new question, is playing a goliath worth having the LA lol?

If you're playing a beatstick? It's one of the few that are worth LA.

also is feat progression based off of ECL or your class level?

It's based on your Hit Dice, which you gain from class levels.

So a Goliath Barbarian 2 has only one feat, since he only has two hit dice, even though he's ECL 3, but a Goliath Barbarian 3 has two feats, since he has three hit dice.

Origomar
2012-09-12, 01:10 PM
If you're playing a beatstick? It's one of the few that are worth LA.

It's based on your Hit Dice, which you gain from class levels.

So a Goliath Barbarian 2 has only one feat, since he only has two hit dice, even though he's ECL 3, but a Goliath Barbarian 3 has two feats, since he has three hit dice.

Alright thanks a lot for the information.

Especially the link to how monsters work, i was always confused by what racial hit dice were and how LA worked with it.

Murg
2012-09-12, 01:12 PM
You should ask your DM if he will allow the optional LA buyback rules:

http://dndsrd.net/unearthedRaces.html

IMHO, LA races are seldom worth the cost unless you can do LA buyback, and even then you probably never want to go beyond LA +2.