PDA

View Full Version : Slam attack question

Invader
2012-09-12, 12:30 PM
If I gain a slam attack, can I use in conjunction with all of my other attacks or can I only use a slam as my attack for that round. I know if I'm large or larger I can make one with each arm as per the SRD I was just wondering about any other restrictions.

Urpriest
2012-09-12, 12:34 PM
Slam is just like any other natural attack: you can combine it with other natural attacks and weapon attacks via the normal rules.

Darrin
2012-09-12, 12:44 PM
If I gain a slam attack, can I use in conjunction with all of my other attacks or can I only use a slam as my attack for that round. I know if I'm large or larger I can make one with each arm as per the SRD I was just wondering about any other restrictions.

The SRD doesn't give two slam attacks to all humanoid creatures that are large-sized or larger. All it really does is suggest that some creatures with two slam attacks are probably using their arms. There aren't any clear or definitive rules that say a slam attack is made with any particular appendage (particularly when you get into non-humanoids, such as oozes).

I attempted to codify some "common sense" rules for determining if/when slams use your arms, but everybody disagreed with me (and then completely failed to explain why).

But anyway, by RAW, yes, if you get a slam attack, you can make all your iterative attacks with a manufactured weapon, and then add a slam attack as a secondary natural attack.

Changing your size would not give you any more or less slam attacks: if you had one slam as a medium-sized creature, and then increased your size to large, you would still only have one slam attack. The larger creatures with two slam attacks get them because their stat blocks say they get them.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-12, 01:40 PM
I think a slam is supposed to represent an attack which works due to brute force, instead of skill like an Unarmed strike. So shoulder slams, elbows, hitting with the forearm, bodyslam, and headbutts are all acceptable in my book. I would even allow slams and claws in the same attack sequence.

Flickerdart
2012-09-12, 01:44 PM
It depends on the creature getting the slam. Some creatures (like incarnum zombies) can attack with either their slam or a weapon, but not both at the same time, which is specified in their Full Attack entry.

Invader
2012-09-12, 10:01 PM
I was just curious because usually you see a creature gets something like bite claw claw or slam but not all of them at the same time. This is actually in regards to a totemist getting bite, claw, claw, claw, claw, slam all in the same round at 4th level.