PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Oracle mystery

kabreras
2012-09-12, 04:37 PM
Im curently building an oracle for my new PF game.

Getting a hard time finding the right mystery.

Going to be an evil campaign where we are all lawfull evil (way of the wicked)

I dont want to get in front for mele (i dont like mele chars, too many dice rolls) so im right here wondering what would be the best mystery for a long term campaign...
we have a sorceror, a bard, a tank, a wizard and me

Heaven ? but dont really fit an evil campaign
Dark tapestry ? but not many really good revelations
Lore ? already got a bard
Time ? good overall but nothing shinny, just cant loose
outer rifts ? strange levels requirements (like on the con mystery that have a min level with no revelation)

Playground i bbeg for help !!!!

ericgrau
2012-09-12, 04:53 PM
What do you want to focus on?

There's a good list of options here, about halfway down: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle

Ancestor looks like it has a lot of nice unusual utility (different from bards) and a little damage. Plus half their mysteries are melee-type mysteries, but you can ignore those and focus on utility+damage. Bones has some nice damage effects and a little utility. I stopped there since there are so many.

Basically read the mysteries yourself or narrow it down for us a bit.

Corlindale
2012-09-12, 05:42 PM
Well, depends on what you want, obviously.

Dark Tapestry is pretty cool for the evil theme. I don't know why you think it has bad revelations, there are at least a couple very nice ones (Many Forms and Wings of Darkness stand out in particular, Gift of Madness might see some use as well). The spells are decent too.

Outer Rifts is also good for the evil flavour, and has some very nice powers. May be nice to grab the power to create difficult terrain 3+Cha mod times per day at level 1 - will give you something useful to do in most combats (which is more than many other casting oracles can say).

Time is an odd one, because it has a fantastic list of powers, but a horrible spell list (it doesn't really get good before 5th/6th level spells start showing up, and by then the campaign is halfway over).

Flame makes you a blaster, plain and simple. It also has some pretty potent mobility and utility mysteries, though.

Spellscar is pretty nice. Makes you more resilient with its boost to all saves and resistances, and the elemental summoning power is pretty cool - though it sadly stops scaling at level 9.

If you want to be a healer but don't want the goody-goody flavour of Life mystery, Wind might be a nice secondary option. The invisibility and flight revelations will make it easier to get around in combat to heal and buff unharmed. You also get some decent control spells, though there is a lot of overlap since they're pretty much all "push people with wind".

Battle also gets the combat healer revelation. I know you don't want to go melee, but I'd actually argue that you can make a pretty decent caster oracle with the Battle mystery. Lots of the revelations don't need you to be melee to be good (Battle Cry, Seize the Initiative, Surprising Charge, etc...), likewise with many of its spells.

kabreras
2012-09-13, 05:12 AM
Problem is that its quite hard to find a good evil fitting mystery that is viable from level 3 (starting there) to level 20 (ending there).

Belril Duskwalk
2012-09-13, 05:51 AM
Juju Oracle. All the fun of being a necromancer and an enchanter, none of the messy arcane magic study. The early spells are control and undead creation themed. If you encounter enemy undead frequently you can also specialize yourself in seizing control of them or stopping them from acting.

Larpus
2012-09-13, 09:58 AM
I think it's important to state which sort of "evil" are we talking about.

After all, a Life Oracle might sure can be evil if you go for "I make my companions stronger so they wreck havoc", why do your army need to be the undead for you to be an evil overlord?

But anyway, Battle and Metal can be used to make sturdy controller Oracle, though Metal is quite narrow-sighted on melee with its spells.

I can also see some potential in Flame, but it needs effect metamagic to pull it off.

Just one thing though: no revelation will be a gamebreaker, not sure what you're looking for there, but considering the comments it sounds like you're expecting too much out of revelations.

If a mystery has 3 or 4 good/nice revelations, it's a good mystery, after all, you'll have around 4 or so revelations by level 20 anyway, so no point in having a box full of delicious marshmallow chocolates if you're only allowed to eat 2.

Out of curiosity: what are you comparing revelations to? They overall seem on pair with bloodline abilities.

Psyren
2012-09-13, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with Heavens? Just fluff it as stemming from the Far Realms/depths of space, and overwhelm your enemies with brief glimpses of the madness there. That covers e.g. Awesome Display, Dweller in Darkness, Interstellar Void, Star Chart, and even Coat of Many Stars can be explained with this.

Control-wise, it's a powerful Mystery: patterns are great at lockdown, and you get to use the best ones far beyond their shelf-life.