PDA

View Full Version : Psionic bodyguard build advice

Leekos
2012-09-12, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of a bodyguard type character and originally started looking at PhaedrusXY's build here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5871.msg193736#msg193736). (I was looking at the Ardent PsyWar build w/o flaws). I'm new to psionics and as I started trying to put it together, I didn't understand a few things (like how he was getting share pain as a known power at level 3). As I looked more into the build I began to wonder at the usefulness of the psychic warrior levels. If it's to get two feats, then they're used up on the practiced manifester feats to get those back. If somebody could clarify for me, that would be great.

So in tweaking and researching I started to come up with my own build and have leaned towards a pure Ardent 20. He would be a mercenary for hire type character, working indiscriminately for whoever hires him, but completely loyal to the contract.

LN Half-Giant Ardent 20
(Feat; Mantle; Power)
1: Psionic Mediation; Guardian, Physical Power; Vigor, Thicken Skin
2: Freedom; Dimension Hop
3: Linked Power; Damp Power
4: Animal Affinity
5: Life; Hustle
6: Expanded Knowledge: Share Pain; Touch of Health
7: Wall of Ectoplasm
8: Body Purification
9: Expanded Knowledge: Body Adjustment; Psychofeedback

I will most likely be getting a few bonus feats throughout, and would take psicrystal affinity, psicrystal containment, and stand still

From here on I'm a bit hazy. I'm not sure if I should take the dominant mantle ACF or not.

The rest of the powers I'm planning on taking (in order) are: Psionic Fly, Mend Wounds, Adrenaline Boost, Oak Body, Mind Over Energy, Iron Body, True Metabolism, Greater Teleport, Psionic Revivify.

This leaves me with two more powers and one to two more mantles (depending on the ACF) undecided. I'm also not sure about the feats. Was thinking a few more expanded knowledges.

So, for a bodyguard type character, am I headed in the right direction? Does anybody have suggestions on improvements here or on later levels, or just general build advice?

This would be a character for an upcoming group that hasn't started yet, so I have not yet rolled for stats. Also, I don't know the make up of the group, and I still won't know until after the character is made and we actually start playing, so this is irrelevant.

The following books are allowed (spoilered for length):
PHB
DMG
PHB2
DMG2
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Races of the Wild
Races of the Dragon
Dragon Magic
Draconomicon
Dragon Magazines
XPH
Complete Psionics
Sandstorm
Stormwrack
Frostburn
Drow of the Underdark
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Planar Handbook
Dungeonscape
Cityscape

NO ToB :-(

AEG feats compendium and a couple 3.0 books of feats are allowed

TL:DR - Core, Completes, Races, most 3.5, some 3.0, Dragon Mags, keep the campaign specific to a minimum (will probably have to ask the DM on a case by case basis) and unfortunately, NO ToB (DM thinks it's overpowered :-( )

House Rules of note:
Groups vote on how Attacks of Opportunity work; whether or not approaching an enemy with reach will provoke
Clerics and Druids do not automatically know all of their spells; they have to choose spells known as they level up
Roll percentage at beginning of every play session to determine if you get additional skill points, a magic item, an additional feat, or an ability point increase (25% each)
Max HP when you level