PDA

View Full Version : Desiccate

PoisonAlchemist
2012-09-12, 08:21 PM
I'm playing a sand-themed druid and browsing the druid handbook the spell desiccate is recommended:

Desiccate (Sand): d6/level (max 5d6) on a single target with a weird damage type that ignores DR and energy resistance. Can even cause dehydration (which is fatigue on steroids).

I have seen this repeated everywhere but when I actually go to look up the spell in both the text and the table of Sandstorm it is 1d6/2 lvls which goes from awesome to worthless at third level in the blink of an eye. I've read Sandstorm doesn't have official errata so where is this coming from?

LTwerewolf
2012-09-12, 08:31 PM
I've never seen anyone quoting that. It does do 1d8/CL to plants and water elems.

Feralventas
2012-09-12, 08:34 PM
So, let's take a look at this spell a bit more closely, shall we?

The 2d6 damage you'll do at 3rd level is hardly negligible at that level; that's 1 shot of a Warlock of the same.

Then you're dehydrating them on a failed save. This is Fatigue on its own, and that's not a bad debuff,

but you're Dehydrating them. If you're in the Sandstorm setting to Really use this, you have probably killed whatever failed that save, it just won't know it for a few hours, maybe a day.

The Dehydrated status turns the non-lethal damage from high-heat situations into Lethal damage.

Hit a group of humans, break their water reserves, and tap a few of them with this spell, and withdraw; the rest will kill each other to drink the blood of their allies in a few hours.

This spell looks more like something for DM's to use to challenge players in such a circumstance, rather than for players to use to wreck an enemy. 2d6+debuff isn't bad. You need the Desert to make this really work.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-13, 02:26 AM
This spell looks more like something for DM's to use to challenge players in such a circumstance, rather than for players to use to wreck an enemy. 2d6+debuff isn't bad. You need the Desert to make this really work.

That would also be a cruel and highly effective spell to use in a seafaring campaign.

Answerer
2012-09-13, 03:00 PM
That would also be a cruel and highly effective spell to use in a seafaring campaign.
The ocean is a desert with it's life underground,
And a perfect disguise above.